Best spots to eat near the Domain

Chewbacca

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

We've got Andiamo and Uchiko booked.  Need a steakhouse.  Is Perry's the best option out that direction?  I've never been to the one in Denver but have heard good things.  And maybe good Tex-Mex place?  I've got 4 nights, not 3.

I’d got to Eddie Vs over Perry’s for steak. It is in the Arboretum, which is a  short drive from the domain. 5 minutes short. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

You just gave me shit about Mezzaluna, Gilligan's, and The Bitter End, and you recommend Chuy's?  

Physician, heal thyself.

Sure, but Chuy's is still the most popular Tex-Mex in Austin.  It's so popular, they even have it in Denver!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hornian said:

I’d got to Eddie Vs over Perry’s for steak. It is in the Arboretum, which is a  short drive from the domain. 5 minutes short. 

< @jimmyjazz >If you're headed to the Arboretum, I'd hit up Dan McCluskey's! </jimmyjazz>

;)

Edited by utee94

10 hours ago, hornian said:

I remember many years ago Texas Monthly had its Best Steakhouses in Texas edition, and in the Austin category Eddie V’s was ranked No. 1. And at that time there was decent competition – Sullivan’s, Flemming’s, Perry’s, Ruth’s Chris, III Forks.

I’ve heard from those who have been that the steaks at Eddie V’s are high quality. But it’s been hard for me to pass up the seafood whenever I’m there.

10 hours ago, LCHorn said:

I *think* Eddie V’s is closed.  If I want a steak I’m heading downtown, anyway.  

It was open in December. Had my office Holiday dinner there right before Omicron Omicron'd. 

The Z'Tejas in the same parking lot closed. There is construction going on there, but Eddie V's was still open last month. 

56 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I remember many years ago Texas Monthly had its Best Steakhouses in Texas edition, and in the Austin category Eddie V’s was ranked No. 1. And at that time there was decent competition – Sullivan’s, Flemming’s, Perry’s, Ruth’s Chris, III Forks.

I’ve heard from those who have been that the steaks at Eddie V’s are high quality. But it’s been hard for me to pass up the seafood whenever I’m there.

Why not both?

Seafood tower to start, steak for entree. And lots of drinks. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Lobo said:

What was the steakhouse over in the Gateway development, across from Arboretum?  It was really popular for 15 minutes around 2000?  

There's a Trucluck's over there. Not sure if that is what you're thinking of - it's not quite in the Gateway. 

NXNW also used to be over there, but it's closed now. 

I remember those joints.  one i was thinking of was over towards the theater, it was a massive end-cap by where that REI is now I think.  Whatever it was, I know it closed probably after the '08 bust up that way.  It was like a steak and seafood place, not totally upscale, not quite middle-market.  Not Cool River either.  It was in a large strip center  IIRC.  

7 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I remember those joints.  one i was thinking of was over towards the theater, it was a massive end-cap by where that REI is now I think.  Whatever it was, I know it closed probably after the '08 bust up that way.  It was like a steak and seafood place, not totally upscale, not quite middle-market.  Not Cool River either.  It was in a large strip center  IIRC.  

When you say end cap, do you mean the end of the building across the parking lot from REI?  There's a Panera in that building.  I vaguely recall the restaurant you're talking about, it was either 2-story or 2nd story only?

Yeah, I think it had like a mezzanine level that overlooked the center of the restaurant, maybe the bar.  No idea what's in there now, been a decade since I was in the Gateway shopping area.  This place was only open for a few years, maybe ten at the absolute most.  We went there for happy hour a few times when I worked up that way but it was too pricey for me.  It wasn't super-fancy, but seemed too nice to be in a strip center if that makes sense.  

8 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, I think it had like a mezzanine level that overlooked the center of the restaurant, maybe the bar.  No idea what's in there now, been a decade since I was in the Gateway shopping area.  This place was only open for a few years, maybe ten at the absolute most.  We went there for happy hour a few times when I worked up that way but it was too pricey for me.  It wasn't super-fancy, but seemed too nice to be in a strip center if that makes sense.  

There was a Mezzaluna’s over there but I doubt that’s what you were thinking of.  Maybe a predecessor in the same space?

My go-to back then was Ray’s but steak generally was only when the parents were in town because I was a broke student.  Anything north of the airport seemed like a whole other universe.  

Edited by LCHorn

6 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I don't remember this place at all, which is weird because it definitely sounds like the kind of place I would have hit up in the early 2000s, living in NW Austin as a young professional.  Spent tons of time at NXNW, Iron Cactus North, Cool River, Z Tejas, Eddie V's, Trudy's, etc. back in those days.

If you're really curious, it might be worth asking in the "restaurants that no longer exist" thread, which probably gets more traffic.

yeah, I will.  This thread about steakhouses up that way got me thinking about it.  Maybe it was Mezzaluna but I thought that was more italian.  I dunno.  I'm getting old. 

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

What was the steakhouse over in the Gateway development, across from Arboretum?  It was really popular for 15 minutes around 2000?  

Are you thinking about Reed's Jazz and Supper Club?  That was a two-story space.  A Reed Clemons deal.  It started out as Mezzaluna II, then reincarnated as the Jazz and Supper Club.

• Hook 'Em 1

Maybe that's it.  I guess I was only there at happy hour before the music started so that part didn't stick out in my mind.  I think that was it.  About 2000-2006 ish?  

14 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

We've got Andiamo and Uchiko booked.  Need a steakhouse.  Is Perry's the best option out that direction?  I've never been to the one in Denver but have heard good things.  And maybe good Tex-Mex place?  I've got 4 nights, not 3.

for steaks, Fleming's is in the domain also.  it's a tossup for me, flemings or perry's-  unless it's lunch on fridays at which point perry's pork chop is the answer.  the arboretum's 10 minutes away and they have an eddie Vs, but unless you're getting seafood it's not worth the drive if you have fleming's and perry's right there.

I remember Reed's, which opened when he shut down Mezzaluna II and refitted it.  I liked it, went there some for date nights, but I didn't think of it as an early 2000s thing, figured it was more like 2010.  Just shows how old I am, it's all bleeding together now.

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

for steaks, Fleming's is in the domain also.  it's a tossup for me, flemings or perry's-  unless it's lunch on fridays at which point perry's pork chop is the answer.  the arboretum's 10 minutes away and they have an eddie Vs, but unless you're getting seafood it's not worth the drive if you have fleming's and perry's right there.

That Flemings is ass, my dude. Clientele is not doing them any favors at that location, and they were in the middle of a remodel in December (probably still going on) where they literally had folding chairs at some tables and really harsh bright lighting in the main dinning room, bathrooms were a literal shit show, etc. Won't be going back to that one.

• Like 1

I love seafood. The steakhouse is for my business partners, but having a place that does both well fits the bill. Most steakhouses are shit with fish, but not Eddie Vs.

That Flemings is ass, my dude. Clientele is not doing them any favors at that location, and they were in the middle of a remodel in December (probably still going on) where they literally had folding chairs at some tables and really harsh bright lighting in the main dinning room, bathrooms were a literal shit show, etc. Won't be going back to that one.
That's disappointing to hear. Last time I was there everything was good, just like their downtown location. But that was pre pandemic

9 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Man when I worked at the Time Warner building at Mopac and Duval I used to hit that up all the time.

My office is (literally) right behind Q2 stadium.  It is such a food wasteland.  Outside of Andiamo, where no average Joe is gonna go for lunch, there's a Thundercloud Subs, a Wendy's, the aforementioned Culver's and Weinerschnitzel, and Kiefer's Deli.  It's awful.  I'm not including McDonald's, Taco Bell or Walgreens.

There are a few legit Mexican joints a little farther away, but many aren't open for lunch.  Hence -- HEB Greek salad, here I come.

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

My office is (literally) right behind Q2 stadium.  It is such a food wasteland.  Outside of Andiamo, where no average Joe is gonna go for lunch, there's a Thundercloud Subs, a Wendy's, the aforementioned Culver's and Weinerschnitzel, and Kiefer's Deli.  It's awful.  I'm not including McDonald's, Taco Bell or Walgreens.

There are a few legit Mexican joints a little farther away, but many aren't open for lunch.  Hence -- HEB Greek salad, here I come.

Back when I worked there, yeah there was a wasteland.  But there was also (aside from the Domain restaraunts, Culver's and Weinerschnitzel) a Double Daves, Red Rooster, Crawfish Shack, Ramos #3 mexican restaraunt and a few other weird places.   I actually live south now within a stones throw of all the new stuff on Manchaca (Menchaca) and don't get out North much anymore.

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

On 1/11/2022 at 7:55 AM, utee94 said:

Oh. another really excellent Japanese sushi/small plate place in North Austin, is Soto.  It's another odd spot in a generic strip mall in suburbia, but the food is well worth it.  It's a bit north of the domain, as opposed to heading south into Austin proper, like many of the other suggestions.

Tomo Sushi on Parmer fits this description as well. Love it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/12/2022 at 3:21 PM, jimmyjazz said:

http://phohong.net

• Hook 'Em 2

58 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Tomo Sushi on Parmer fits this description as well. Love it. 

Yup, Tomodachi is good.  Our old house is just a few blocks away, right by the original Apple campus.  We were weekly regulars there until we moved.

There are three of them in the Austin area.  There's another one further out 183 at Lake Creek.

This. I pointed him to the closer location for him, but I too usually hit the one by Jim’s.

Also, did y’all notice that due to staffing shortages and reduced pandemic demand, that Jim’s is no longer 24 hours? Sad development.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

This. I pointed him to the closer location for him, but I too usually hit the one by Jim’s.

Also, did y’all notice that due to staffing shortages and reduced pandemic demand, that Jim’s is no longer 24 hours? Sad development.

Bummer, I did not notice that.  My folks live just across 183 from there, a couple blocks behind Playland skating rink, in the same house I was born into and raised in.  I meet them regularly for lunch and that Jim's is always in the rotation, but I just realized we've been doing other places recently and haven't been there in many months.