Best spots to eat near the Domain

Chewbacca

I used to hit up Jim's for breakfast a few times a month on my way into work.  Every single time, there was a table of the same 4 middle-age-to-elderly guys having a cup and a bite and just constantly giving each other shit.  There's no way I coincidentally saw them on the same random days I went there, they were total regulars.

I was jealous.  Gotta work up my own breakfast crew.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I used to hit up Jim's for breakfast a few times a month on my way into work.  Every single time, there was a table of the same 4 middle-age-to-elderly guys having a cup and a bite and just constantly giving each other shit.  There's no way I coincidentally saw them on the same random days I went there, they were total regulars.

Val Kilmer Film GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Brisket's forming his own breakfast crew for Waffle House.  But it's just him on the ledge of the sidewalk eating hash browns.  It's weird.  Admirable, but weird.  

Cutting way back on the booze in 2022, so would actually appreciate a Surly breakfast meetup more than a Surly happy hour.  Don't get me wrong, when baseball season is in full swing, totally back to grabbing beers and ballgames with y'all.  

Brisket's forming his own breakfast crew for Waffle House.  But it's just him on the ledge of the sidewalk eating hash browns.  It's weird.  Admirable, but weird.  
Cutting way back on the booze in 2022, so would actually appreciate a Surly breakfast meetup more than a Surly happy hour.  Don't get me wrong, when baseball season is in full swing, totally back to grabbing beers and ballgames with y'all.  

You think I’m kidding about the Waffle House Breakfast Summit.

I’m not.

And you know you’re in, so don’t be a bitch.

Let’s roll….smothered and covered…or something.

Let's do it then-1/21.  Only question is which Waffle House?  290 one would be easier for me on Friday (working on campus) but if 71 is easier for you, I'll accommodate.  No offense to our colleagues up on Parmer, but I ain't spending more on fuel than I do on my breakfast.  

Let's do it then-1/21.  Only question is which Waffle House?  290 one would be easier for me on Friday (working on campus) but if 71 is easier for you, I'll accommodate.  No offense to our colleagues up on Parmer, but I ain't spending more on fuel than I do on my breakfast.  

From downtown, probably 6 of one, half dozen of the other. Which is also how many waffles one should order.

Oh, and 1/21 is a no-go for me. Deposition that morning. Maybe the next week.

Okay then, you pick the date and location.  I'll bring the miscreants and pithy conversation. 

Good luck on your deposition.  Hope it doesn't go like that last one.  That was a production of Shakespeare in the Park's "Julias Cesar"!!!

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

You think I’m kidding about the Waffle House Breakfast Summit.

I’m not.

And you know you’re in, so don’t be a bitch.

Let’s roll….smothered and covered…or something.

I have a Waffle House cover on my phone that I picked up on a recent trip to Alabama so you know I’m in. 

On 1/12/2022 at 3:21 PM, jimmyjazz said:

My office is (literally) right behind Q2 stadium.  It is such a food wasteland.  Outside of Andiamo, where no average Joe is gonna go for lunch, there's a Thundercloud Subs, a Wendy's, the aforementioned Culver's and Weinerschnitzel, and Kiefer's Deli.  It's awful.  I'm not including McDonald's, Taco Bell or Walgreens.

There are a few legit Mexican joints a little farther away, but many aren't open for lunch.  Hence -- HEB Greek salad, here I come.

you're a quarter mile from the domain and not much farther away from mighty fine, masala wok, etc at arbor walk.  plus you have a couple breweries on metric.  

37 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Heading down tomorrow.  Reservations at Andiamo, Uchiko and Eddie Vs.  Do any have a dress code?  Planning on wearing jeans and a button down while I'm there.

Neither required unless changed for Covid lol

Andiamo has a bit of a mob vibe in a good way. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, hornian said:

The only place I recall that required a coat was Jezebel (RIP). 

No where else will bat and eye at you showing up sans coat. 

I mean I would judge, but I don’t set the rules. 

Thanks.  That's how Denver is.  Judge away as long as I don't have to dress up.  Most days I don't even put on real pants, so putting on jeans and a button down is high class for me.

I've never once worn a coat to Uchiko.  It's pretty casual and Austin-y.

I've done fancy dinners like my MBA graduation and NYE at Eddie V's where I had a sportcoat just for the evening's later activities, and I've also been there plenty of times in jeans and a button-down.  No formal dress code there.

Andiamo is in a run-down strip mall at a run-down intersection.  Very good food, not a ton of ambiance.  A sportcoat would look pretty out of place there.

Have fun, hope you like the suggestions! :)

• Hook 'Em 2

You need a jacket at any of them.  But at the end of the dinner, it will be 45 degrees.  You could just wear one anyway for warmth, take it off if the restaurant has the heater up too high (as is often the case in Austin joints this time of year), and then have it on to wear to the car/ride home.  You know...you like an adult ;) 

Between taking off some adirondak or crew jacket, just wear a blazer/jacket/coat/sporcoat (whatever the fuck you wanna call it).  Serves the same purpose and looks nicer if you decide to keep it on and doesn't make that sloshing sound while you're moving your arms during the meal.   It's not complicated.  It's Austin.  

18 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Heading down tomorrow.  Reservations at Andiamo, Uchiko and Eddie Vs.  Do any have a dress code?  Planning on wearing jeans and a button down while I'm there.

no dress code at any of those places. you'll fit in fine at andiamo and eddie v's and might actually find yourself overdressed at uchiko.  fwiw uchiko can get warm and stuffy even in cold weather but i haven't been since the pandemic.

1 hour ago, thrillhammer said:

Dress codes are pretty out of date, and dont do well in austin to begin with.  i cant think of a place in town that requires them.  even a place like brennans, in houston, could stand to relax the coat and tie requirement.   its good food, let people enjoy and experience it comfortably.

I don't really frequent places with dress codes, but I also don't have any problems with it.  Some people like to enjoy a more traditional, more formal dining experience.  Part of that is dressing up yourself, and part of that is also not seeing the hairy legs and toenail fungus of the guy at the next table over, who is wearing shorts and flip flops.

Some people like formality, and some restaurants like to cater to those people.  No skin off my back at all, there are plenty of other great restaurants that don't have dress codes, no need to force my non-dressiness on others.  

Shit, I meant to type "you don't need a jacket at any of them."  I was just indicating that you could wear one purely for warmth/comfort for the drive/walk, that's all.  Take it off when you get there, or keep it on.  Gonna be chilly this week at night.  

I know that for my Waffle House meeting with Brisket, however.......I'll be wearing a 3-piece suit complete with french cuffs and a hangover.

Shit, I meant to type "you don't need a jacket at any of them."  I was just indicating that you could wear one purely for warmth/comfort for the drive/walk, that's all.  Take it off when you get there, or keep it on.  Gonna be chilly this week at night.  
I know that for my Waffle House meeting with Brisket, however.......I'll be wearing a 3-piece suit complete with french cuffs and a hangover.

Fuck. Yes.

That's just a special arrangement we have to let out-of-towners know they've been here long enough and it's time to get on home...

Stayed at the Archer, so ground zero. Listening to the club music until 2 was a bit much, and every chode with a Hemi revving his engine at the 4 way stop was a special treat.

On 1/28/2022 at 11:04 AM, Chewbacca said:

Apologies to anyone going to Uchiko in the near future.  I'm pretty sure we drank all their sake last night.  Fucking great meal.

i don't even call it a meal...

Uchiko is what people mean when they use the phrase 'dining experience'. we've been twice and just been blown away. have our third reservation in a couple of weeks and are taking our best friends for their first time and i'm like stupidly excited for them lol. 

and tbh...it is not nearly as expensive as i expected it to be. part of that is not having a full bar for sure (not having four $12 old-fashioneds or $10 sazeracs really has an impact 😄)...but given the quality of food and service, it's downright affordable for a splurge! 

1 minute ago, mchookem said:

and tbh...it is not nearly as expensive as i expected it to be. part of that is not having a full bar for sure (not having four $12 old-fashioneds or $10 sazeracs really has an impact 😄)...but given the quality of food and service, it's downright affordable for a splurge! 

Agreed on it being more of an experience than a meal.  But we spent $1,400 on 3 people (Omakase plus all the sake) so I'm going to disagree on the not that expensive part.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

😄 touche'...we're more whiskey/cocktail drinkers so usually just do one glass of wine there, i imagine if you got into the saki that would be different lol. and we've always just had the waiter make recommendations, generally 6-7 items...we get out of there for ~$160 or so, including a very generous tip.

actually...this last time we got two free items, including dessert, b/c it was our anniversary...so maybe my stats are skewed! 😜

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, mchookem said:

😄 touche'...we're more whiskey/cocktail drinkers so usually just do one glass of wine there, i imagine if you got into the saki that would be different lol. and we've always just had the waiter make recommendations, generally 6-7 items...we get out of there for ~$160 or so, including a very generous tip.

actually...this last time we got two free items, including dessert, b/c it was our anniversary...so maybe my stats are skewed! 😜

I tell them it’s my anniversary every time we go and I think they’ve caught on that we’re abusing it.  No freebies for us.  

• Haha 2