2022 European soccer megathread

Jive Turkey

Lulz, save for Roma but VAR says the keeper left his line early.  He makes the winner on the retake.

Sevilla win their trophy for the 7th time!

I've always liked Rakitic, so good for him.

Edited by WBT

The Belgian Pro League has a pretty crazy final day. They have a weird playoff format I won’t explain, just that the standings going into the final day were:

1. Royal Antwerp 46 pts

2. Union SG 46

3. Genk 45

The final day featured:

Union SG-Club Brugge

Genk-Royal Antwerp

The title would change hands a few times.

45’ Genk scored, up 1-0 and virtual leader 48 pts

46’ Union SG scores, goes up 1-0 and takes the title lead 49 pts

58’ Antwerp scores, tied 1-1, no change

75’ Genk scores, up 2-1, no change

Then the fun starts

89’ Club Brugge scores, tying Union 1-1, Genk now in front for the title 48 pts

90+3 Brugge scores again, up 1-2, Genk still leads, Union done

90+4’:

Snatching the title from Genk. It is Antwerp’s first title since 1957.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been watching too.  Looks like another tournament with no Haaland.  He earned and converted the penalty for Norway's goal and then subbed off about 4 minutes before Scotland's 1st. 

Record highs in Oslo, some nice bikinis behind Scotland's goal.  

• 2 weeks later...

Holy Shit, EURO U-21 Final and Spain gets a PK, in the seventh minute of extra time (was supposed to be six) and the goalie for England makes two incredible saves to win the game, 1-0.

I don’t like either team but, I dislike Spain, more.

England wins for first time in 39 years. Didn’t allow a goal the entire tournament. 

Edited by PittsburghTiger

1 hour ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Holy Shit, EURO U-21 Final and Spain gets a PK, in the seventh minute of extra time (was supposed to be six) and the goalie for England makes two incredible saves to win the game, 1-0.

I don’t like either team but, I dislike Spain, more.

England wins for first time in 39 years. Didn’t allow a goal the entire tournament. 

I was reading that as “The game went to penalties.” and I was thinking:

”I wasn’t aware that England was allowed to win a PK shootout.”

So Balogun turned down lifting the U21 Euros 🏆 so that he could lift the CONCACAF Nations League 🏆.

Southgate may be right when he implies that England didn’t need Ligue 1 strikers, but the USMNT definitely does. I am thankful that England is stacked. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I was reading that as “The game went to penalties.” and I was thinking:

”I wasn’t aware that England was allowed to win a PK shootout.”

So Balogun turned down lifting the U21 Euros 🏆 so that he could lift the CONCACAF Nations League 🏆.

Southgate may be right when he implies that England didn’t need Ligue 1 strikers, but the USMNT definitely does. I am thankful that England is stacked. 

I could have been a bit more descriptive 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Pretty shitty decision by Barca if you ask me. 

First thought was “You are shitting me!”

Second thought is that they didn’t know that there was a difference between Topo Chico and home bottled Mexican water sold on the down low. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

watching this napoli game and their striker just scored, smashed his head into the post, CLEARLY suffered a serious concussion, lost consciousness, had the medical team rush out to tend to him, got up off the ground all starry eyed, CAME RIGHT BACK ON, and then scored another goal that he’ll have no memory of for the rest of his life. what the fuck.

• Rage+1 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Getafe get 3-game partial stadium ban after racist insults

• Reuters
Apr 3, 2024, 08:12 AM ET

Getafe have been ordered to partially close their central stand for three matches by the Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) following the racial and xenophobic abuse suffered by Sevilla manager Quique Sánchez Flores and player Marcos Acuña in Saturday's LaLiga game.

Referee Iglesias Villanueva stopped the match in the 68th minute as part of LaLiga's protocol against racism after he heard fans in the stands directed racial insults toward the Argentine defender.

- Stream on ESPN+: LaLiga, Bundesliga, more (U.S.)

Sánchez Flores said in his postmatch news conference following his team's 1-0 win that he had been called a xenophobic slur by a group of fans during the encounter.

The club have also been fined €27,000 ($29,000).

The RFEF said in a statement that the closed area in the stands must display a visible message condemning violent, racist, xenophobic and intolerant acts in football and support fair play.

Acuña is just a different kinda white. Quique is 100% Spaniard.  Serious goddamn business. 

Edited by beer