“The NFL sucks, haven’t watched in years”

Ignatius

I agree with you and don't get me wrong... I don't think the CFP in its current format is compelling at all. But it's still not fair to compare it to the best two consecutive weekends in NFL playoff history.
We have such a limited sample size for the CFP: 8 years x 3 games/yr = 24 total games. In those 24 CFP games, we have had maybe 6 competitive games, which sucks. We will have 13 NFL playoff games this year alone and even in its best year 4 of them were duds with the Superbowl still yet to play. Again, that's why I don't think they can expand the CFP soon enough. More games = better chance for competitive games, more upsets, more distribution of talent across the country, etc.

Apparently big bad Texas and ousux screwed up the expansion per talk radio.

On 1/31/2022 at 8:58 AM, Landomatic said:

This cannot be stated enough. CFP expansion won't help. If anything, it will just add more shit games. Parity is the only thing that will help. It's mind boggling that high school football and NFL football can figure that out (for the most part), but college football just keeps eating its own.

A big reason I can't stand the modern NFL is there is way too much parity.

34 minutes ago, G650 said:

A big reason I can't stand the modern NFL is there is way too much parity.

I don’t get that mentality at all. A big reason I’m being drawn more toward the NFL and away from college these days IS the parity. The only fans I can see not wanting more parity today is Alabama fans.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

I don’t get that mentality at all. A big reason I’m being drawn more toward the NFL and away from college these days IS the parity. The only fans I can see not wanting more parity today is Alabama fans.

Parity=Mediocrity

I actually am an Alabama fan funny enough, but not liking parity has nothing to do with that. To be honest I think Alabamas dominance has been bad for college football. But the opposite of that isn't parity. Having some great teams and some trash teams is much more compelling to watch than a bunch of average motherfuckers, which is what the modern NFL is. Having close games in and of itself doesn't signify anything, the quality of product is worse and that's what matters.

The apogee of the NFL was the 80s and 90s, with teams like the 49ers, Giants, Redskins and Cowboys. These were objectively great teams, and watching them was like looking at a work of art. There is absolutely nothing in the past 20 years of NFL play that compares.

1 hour ago, G650 said:

Parity=Mediocrity

I actually am an Alabama fan funny enough, but not liking parity has nothing to do with that. To be honest I think Alabamas dominance has been bad for college football. But the opposite of that isn't parity. Having some great teams and some trash teams is much more compelling to watch than a bunch of average motherfuckers, which is what the modern NFL is. Having close games in and of itself doesn't signify anything, the quality of product is worse and that's what matters.

The apogee of the NFL was the 80s and 90s, with teams like the 49ers, Giants, Redskins and Cowboys. These were objectively great teams, and watching them was like looking at a work of art. There is absolutely nothing in the past 20 years of NFL play that compares.

Um, what about the Patriots?

12 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Um, what about the Patriots?

The shining example of what I'm talking about. Just consistently 1% above average and you win like clockwork. The one year they actually went for glory, 2007, they lost to the Giants in the Super Bowl. All other years was just vanilla nothingness. The last truly spectacular team was the Greatest Show on Turf Rams. Ironically brought down by the Patriots, thus ending the great team era.

8 hours ago, G650 said:

The shining example of what I'm talking about. Just consistently 1% above average and you win like clockwork. The one year they actually went for glory, 2007, they lost to the Giants in the Super Bowl. All other years was just vanilla nothingness. The last truly spectacular team was the Greatest Show on Turf Rams. Ironically brought down by the Patriots, thus ending the great team era.

Just to be clear, your contention is that the New England Patriots from 2001-2019 should only have won 51% of their games?

Nervous Laughter What The Fuck GIF - Nervous Laughter What The Fuck Veep -  Discover & Share GIFs

What Fuck GIFs | Tenor

Top 30 What The Fuck GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, G650 said:

You realize that your logic  makes absolutely no sense, right?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I don’t think you have a clue what you’re talking about. Belichick is the Goat because he wins rings in a system designed to prevent it vs the older system where once you built a great team you could maintain it, and if at the bottom you might never be able to fix it. Same with Brady. The key to success in the NFL is it’s parity, where any team can be back in the hunt with a good draft and a great coach. College ball isn’t served well by a few haves, a lot of mediocrity, and a lot of perennial losers.
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

I don’t think you have a clue what you’re talking about. Belichick is the Goat because he wins rings in a system designed to prevent it vs the older system where once you built a great team you could maintain it, and if at the bottom you might never be able to fix it. Same with Brady. The key to success in the NFL is it’s parity, where any team can be back in the hunt with a good draft and a great coach. College ball isn’t served well by a few haves, a lot of mediocrity, and a lot of perennial losers.

I mean I know exactly what I'm talking about, you in fact are agreeing with me. Belichick is phenomenal, I never said otherwise. He learned that by being consistently slightly better means year in and year out success. Because as you say it's a system designed to make everyone milquetoast. I could give a flying fuck if any team can be in the hunt a given year, that makes no difference to me. I want spectacle.

I played football through college, the NFL was far and away my most followed league for the first half of my life. What it's become is completely uninspiring to me. And for what it's worth college is trending that way too and I rarely watch it anymore. Lack of parity doesn't absolve it from being average like the NFL. I just shake my head at people who can't grasp that a lot of us just don't like the product anymore, and are so quick to assign ignorance, or whatever other inane reason because they won't just admit some people truly think the NFL game just sucks now.

9 hours ago, G650 said:

I mean I know exactly what I'm talking about, you in fact are agreeing with me. Belichick is phenomenal, I never said otherwise. He learned that by being consistently slightly better means year in and year out success. Because as you say it's a system designed to make everyone milquetoast. I could give a flying fuck if any team can be in the hunt a given year, that makes no difference to me. I want spectacle.

I played football through college, the NFL was far and away my most followed league for the first half of my life. What it's become is completely uninspiring to me. And for what it's worth college is trending that way too and I rarely watch it anymore. Lack of parity doesn't absolve it from being average like the NFL. I just shake my head at people who can't grasp that a lot of us just don't like the product anymore, and are so quick to assign ignorance, or whatever other inane reason because they won't just admit some people truly think the NFL game just sucks now.

Does being a third string walk on safety at Northwestern Montana State count as playing college football?

8 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

After wild card weekend literally every game was great. If you say you like football and don’t get into the nfl you’re just wrong. 

26e96979a34a1ccd8abf76dcd9605b22454189.j

"What are you guys talking about in here?  Oh, don't mind me, only the biggest game of the year and these flags have been weighting my jersey down the whole game.  I think I'll use a couple here in the redzone for L.A."

Suck a rice dick, NFL.

Edited by Gravy Train

7 minutes ago, Gravy Train said:

26e96979a34a1ccd8abf76dcd9605b22454189.j

"What are you guys talking about in here?  Oh, don't mind me, only the biggest game of the year and these flags have been weighting my jersey down the whole game.  I think I'll use a couple here in the redzone for L.A."

Suck a rice dick, NFL.

Guess you were fine with the one that took the TD off the board at the end or just the other ones? 

9 hours ago, SaucyJack said:

image.thumb.jpeg.0d3e03518b65365efb2d1bee2325ed17.jpeg

“Take your betting loss, pussy!”

For sure, the two biggest plays/events in that game were the non-call on the TD reception and the flag on the non-existent defensive holding in the end zone. Refs decided the game. Not a good thing. 

Edited by nnm

1 hour ago, nnm said:

For sure, the two biggest plays/events in that game were the non-call on the TD reception and the flag on the non-existent defensive holding in the end zone. Refs decoded the game. Not a good thing. 

Outside of those two instances I think it was a pretty good job by the officials.

For sure, the two biggest plays/events in that game were the non-call on the TD reception and the flag on the non-existent defensive holding in the end zone. Refs decided the game. Not a good thing. 

No, they did not. The refs mostly let them play, aside from 2 bad calls, each of which resulted in a TD for each team.
  • Hook 'Em 1

No, they did not. The refs mostly let them play, aside from 2 bad calls, each of which resulted in a TD for each team.

This is a bit of a mischaracterization of the calls.

Rams still had a 4th down play or could have kicked a FG.

The Bengals should have been pushed back as they committed the infraction and had 2nd and a long way to go.