“The NFL sucks, haven’t watched in years”

Ignatius

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Productivity the Monday after would skyrocket 

My wife's group of friends have always gone hard at the Super Bowl party she's always hosted. We've slowed things down a bit since we've gotten married and didn't have one last year because of the pandemic but that group has always wished Monday after the Super Bowl was a national holiday. LOL.

56 minutes ago, nnm said:

The real problem with the CFP is that it’s not a playoff. It’s a 4-team invitational, with the same 6 teams getting the invitations each year. No one cares about that. 

Bingo!

20 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Some of y’all have never spent a Sunday just vibing on Red Zone and it really shows. It’s such an enormously better way to enjoy football.  

Red Zone is great. I'm not a massive Cowboys fan by any stretch but I watch their games every week without fail and root for them. I'll catch other games sparingly as they're on. You'll stumble into some absolute great ones, a lot of them on the Sunday Night game. But I like to turn Red Zone on when the Cowboys aren't playing. And if there's some sort of weather game, I'll likely tune into that one exclusively. The playoffs, however, are can't-miss TV. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, nnm said:

The real problem with the CFP is that it’s not a playoff. It’s a 4-team invitational, with the same 6 teams getting the invitations each year. No one cares about that. 

Actually the match ups prove horrible. Semis are largely over by mid way through the second quarter. Same teams every year would be fine if the semis were half way decent games. The games themselves are terrible from a product/entertainment perspective. Complete dog shit diarrhea on your shoe bad. 

CFP will not be like March madness or the nfl playoffs even with better selections and expansions and the reason why is the lack of parity and that’s only going to get worse.  

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Longhornlove said:

I wouldn't say the NFL sucks. I don't watch it very often. I did watch the Titans this weekend but that was purely interest in Ryan Tannehill as he is from my home town and know his family. I just honestly have little interest in watching it. It doesn't excite me. It is great for people who gamble. That is a huge driving interest in the NFL IMHO.

you from big spring?  lololol

never have understood the "move the SuperBowl to Saturday" thing.  The real fans don't give a fuck and the casual fans keep partying, so it's just the dumbasses who get lights-out blitzed who have the problem, evidently.

It's a football game...that's over by 10:30...once a year.  Your kids can handle it too.

17 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

Some of y’all have never spent a Sunday just vibing on Red Zone and it really shows. It’s such an enormously better way to enjoy football.  

I like the concept of NFL Redzone but I enjoy watching the flow of games. If I wanted basically highlights I'd just wait until the contest was over and do that on my phone. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, slorch said:

never have understood the "move the SuperBowl to Saturday" thing.  The real fans don't give a fuck and the casual fans keep partying, so it's just the dumbasses who get lights-out blitzed who have the problem, evidently.

It's a football game...that's over by 10:30...once a year.  Your kids can handle it too.

I read this post in Dennis Taylor's voice.

d4pKybWR7aDwzdy0jUHpM3QZkte.jpg

I had given up on going to NFL games for the past 7 years or so.  Just started to be a giant headache.  This season, I decided to start back.  I went to 7 games in 4 different cities.  I can tell you, while there are fights, there are not as many as social media would have you believe.  The atmosphere at most games was great.  Glad to be back. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Sonofjorel76 said:

I had given up on going to NFL games for the past 7 years or so.  Just started to be a giant headache.  This season, I decided to start back.  I went to 7 games in 4 different cities.  I can tell you, while there are fights, there are not as many as social media would have you believe.  The atmosphere at most games was great.  Glad to be back. 

Did you wear jorts?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/23/2022 at 9:19 PM, naija said:

the only thing you can claim that college has better is "the experience," whatever that means to you. even the regular NFL season games are better than the college football product.

Pro quality is always going to be a better product than the amateur version (unless that's your fetish). Those of us that watch college but not the NFL are choosing college for reasons other than quality on the field. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Not gonna lie.  This is like when I said the NBA sucked post Jordan then the product went ballistic.  Just don’t have a favorite team and enjoy.  
College is the new pro.  It sucks.  

Ehh it’s gotten pretty boring now if you like fundamental basketball and not fouls called for breathing on someone.  It’s a three point contest with drives to the lane to get fouled.  No midrange game or big man play anymore, it’s boring. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

On 1/24/2022 at 6:40 PM, slorch said:

People who work service industry on Saturday nights have voiced this I guess as a way to draw in a crowd and have drink and food specials. Other folks that voice it just don't wanna go to work hungover the next morning. 

27 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

Exactly why one of my friends only watches the playoffs. Quoting him, "I don't wanna watch a bunch of trash teams. I'd rather watch the best of the league for the season."

Well those teams both lost during the Divisional Round...

I think people still want some kind of bullshit where college players just play for the sake of the university or the sake of playing. I’m not sure why at this point? It hasn’t been this way for years. Decades. Just don’t watch I guess?

That’s available in D3. Texas 6 man in high school. Bout it.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 1/24/2022 at 2:45 PM, troph said:

Actually the match ups prove horrible. Semis are largely over by mid way through the second quarter. Same teams every year would be fine if the semis were half way decent games. The games themselves are terrible from a product/entertainment perspective. Complete dog shit diarrhea on your shoe bad. 

CFP will not be like March madness or the nfl playoffs even with better selections and expansions and the reason why is the lack of parity and that’s only going to get worse.  

This cannot be stated enough. CFP expansion won't help. If anything, it will just add more shit games. Parity is the only thing that will help. It's mind boggling that high school football and NFL football can figure that out (for the most part), but college football just keeps eating its own.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, hpslugga said:

If anyone watched the last 6 NFL games and still thinks the BCS/CFP religion errr “formula” is the superior model, I’m telling you as a person who categorically opposes capital punishment that you deserve to be burned at the stake.

I don’t think anyone anywhere that isn’t Tuscaloosa and B/CS will say the BCS/CFP is superior. People like me that don’t care for the NFL (see lengthy post above) are NFL detractors for completely different reasons. No sane person would claim the 4-team invitational plus bowls is a superior postseason. 

15 minutes ago, nnm said:

I don’t think anyone anywhere that isn’t Tuscaloosa and B/CS will say the BCS/CFP is superior. People like me that don’t care for the NFL (see lengthy post above) are NFL detractors for completely different reasons. No sane person would claim the 4-team invitational plus bowls is a superior postseason. 

Well certainly not sane people, but nonetheless there are people who do claim that the CFP (and even the fucking BCS) is/was a superior model. Happens every year around late November/early December.

Edited by hpslugga

I have really enjoyed the NFL this season, and especially postseason. I'm a Texans fan and they suck so bad I've turned my attention elsewhere, plus it helps when you win your fantasy league. I also took a client to a Chiefs game which was great.. I think one of my keys to enjoying it more is abstaining from the peripheral social media BS surrounding it and just enjoying the product on the field.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 1/25/2022 at 7:34 AM, BurntOrange&White said:

I like the concept of NFL Redzone but I enjoy watching the flow of games. If I wanted basically highlights I'd just wait until the contest was over and do that on my phone. 

Game mix with multi-screens is the way to go. 

NFL Network post-game highlights became unwatchable when Kevin Rose took over, and whatever jock in training takes the number 2 spot. 

6 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

I think people still want some kind of bullshit where college players just play for the sake of the university or the sake of playing. I’m not sure why at this point? It hasn’t been this way for years. Decades. Just don’t watch I guess?

I might argue that pro adherents cling to some kind of bullshit about their cynicism about college football being somehow unique. 

Historically, players did choose universities similarly to the way I chose Texas. I have that in common with them. That the best players got paid or that they were denied some form of NIL remuneration doesn't cancel that point out. 

What I thought was dull-minded about the sports radio discussion scorning the notion of student afoletes was that they always, always, use the examples of Heisman qbs or other elite players. I always responded, usually in my empty car, "what about second team lineman? What about that class of college player whose excellence will not translate to the NFL and whose efforts are mainly noticed by just their college's fans?"

If the cynical opinion was correct, why is college football completely changing this off season? The belief that players were mercenaries has become a self-fulfilling prophecy. We're not getting a purely NIL system based on actual NIL value; we're getting a salaried system with no salary caps. Hooray?

Lastly, I never give a thought to the relative value of pro football when I'm watching and enjoying college ball. When I enjoy steak, I don't scorn people at the next table enjoying salmon. 

This whole argument is weird.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Landomatic said:

This cannot be stated enough. CFP expansion won't help. If anything, it will just add more shit games. Parity is the only thing that will help. It's mind boggling that high school football and NFL football can figure that out (for the most part), but college football just keeps eating its own.

I don't want parity in college. I want Texas to be dominant. I don't want a competitive playing field. I want Texas to have all the advantages: The best players, the best coaches, winning all the damn time by 90 points per game. I want each Texas game to look like a stampede of bulls charging through a puppy mill, where fans of other schools are afraid to even look, for the carnage.

but that's just me

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I might argue that pro adherents cling to some kind of bullshit about their cynicism about college football being somehow unique. 

Historically, players did choose universities similarly to the way I chose Texas. I have that in common with them. That the best players got paid or that they were denied some form of NIL remuneration doesn't cancel that point out. 

What I thought was dull-minded about the sports radio discussion scorning the notion of student afoletes was that they always, always, use the examples of Heisman qbs or other elite players. I always responded, usually in my empty car, "what about second team lineman? What about that class of college player whose excellence will not translate to the NFL and whose efforts are mainly noticed by just their college's fans?"

If the cynical opinion was correct, why is college football completely changing this off season? The belief that players were mercenaries has become a self-fulfilling prophecy. We're not getting a purely NIL system based on actual NIL value; we're getting a salaried system with no salary caps. Hooray?

Lastly, I never give a thought to the relative value of pro football when I'm watching and enjoying college ball. When I enjoy steak, I don't scorn people at the next table enjoying salmon. 

This whole argument is weird.

I generally always go Surf n Turf.

The NFL has been ridiculous the past two weeks. I'm sure the Superb owl will be a dud (reverse jinx) but I can't remember anything like this, or even close to it. So maybe it's not fair to point out how fucked the college system is (and it is) when comparing it to what has to be the two most competitive playoff weekends in NFL history. One other thing that amazes me about the NFL is that as great as all these guys are, the game still comes down to simple mistakes like Mahomes/Reid screwing up the clock at the end of the first half or the guy from San Francisco choking away the easiest interception you will ever see. It continues to astound me how insanely talented, detail oriented and trained these guys are and then the most random shit determines the outcome. 

All that said, the thing that makes college football great to me is the rivalries and the upsets. It also used to be that each week was essentially a playoff game because one loss and you were usually out of the national title conversation, but the horse has left the barn on that one. We aren't ever going back to the bowl system deciding the champion. They desperately need to expand the playoff not only to even the playing field so that every conference can participate but I think that if you extend the playoff where you have to win 3 or 4 games in a row, then the likelihood of upsets greatly increases.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Rimbo said:

I don't want parity in college. I want Texas to be dominant. I don't want a competitive playing field. I want Texas to have all the advantages: The best players, the best coaches, winning all the damn time by 90 points per game. I want each Texas game to look like a stampede of bulls charging through a puppy mill, where fans of other schools are afraid to even look, for the carnage.

but that's just me

Yea, Kansas and the two Colorado games were my favorites from 2005, too.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/31/2022 at 11:09 AM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The NFL has been ridiculous the past two weeks. I'm sure the Superb owl will be a dud (reverse jinx) but I can't remember anything like this, or even close to it. So maybe it's not fair to point out how fucked the college system is (and it is) when comparing it to what has to be the two most competitive playoff weekends in NFL history.

So which season could you verifiably say the CFP was more intriguing/competitive than the NFL playoffs going back to 2014? I can find some years where the NFL was better and other years where it was essentially a push, but that’s it.

On 1/31/2022 at 11:09 AM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

One other thing that amazes me about the NFL is that as great as all these guys are, the game still comes down to simple mistakes like Mahomes/Reid screwing up the clock at the end of the first half or the guy from San Francisco choking away the easiest interception you will ever see. It continues to astound me how insanely talented, detail oriented and trained these guys are and then the most random shit determines the outcome. 

Parity tends to do that. When all things are damn near equal, random shit plays like that decide games. It’s not like when LSU played OU in the CFP and LSU could have had 7 turnovers and it still wouldn’t have mattered.

3 hours ago, hpslugga said:

So which season could you verifiably say the CFP was more intriguing/competitive than the NFL playoffs going back to 2014? I can find some years where the NFL was better and other years where it was essentially a push, but that’s it.

I agree with you and don't get me wrong... I don't think the CFP in its current format is compelling at all. But it's still not fair to compare it to the best two consecutive weekends in NFL playoff history.

We have such a limited sample size for the CFP: 8 years x 3 games/yr = 24 total games. In those 24 CFP games, we have had maybe 6 competitive games, which sucks. We will have 13 NFL playoff games this year alone and even in its best year 4 of them were duds with the Superbowl still yet to play. Again, that's why I don't think they can expand the CFP soon enough. More games = better chance for competitive games, more upsets, more distribution of talent across the country, etc.

This last page has been crazy talk. I don’t know of a single soul who would claim the CFP is superior to NFL playoffs. The CFB post season is a joke. It’s not a serious discussion. 

People like me who prefer CFB to the NFL have that preference DESPITE the CFP, not because of it. It’s all about the regional rivalries, lingering attachment to the school, tribalism, etc., and the devolution of the NFL overall, not the post-season (see my lengthy post a while back). 

The NFL does suck.  But this story gives me hope, and made it just a bit dusty in my house.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/2022/02/10/father-daughter-nfl-anthony-harris/

Spoiler

Her dad died. So her favorite NFL star took her to the father-daughter dance.

For Audrey Soape, the father-daughter dance is a big social event and always a highlight of her year. This year, though, as it was drawing near, the 11-year-old was filled with dread.

Audrey’s father died in March. Just five weeks later, she also lost her grandfather, who would have been her stand-in date to the dance.

“We had such a horrible year, and she had been through so much,” said Audrey’s mother, Holly Soape.

Still, Audrey wanted to attend the dance at her local church with all her friends. About a month before the event, Soape started brainstorming date options for her daughter. One man came to mind. It seemed improbable that an National Football League player would say yes, but there was no harm in asking her daughter’s favorite sports star.

Soape sent an Instagram message a few days before Christmas to Anthony Harris, a Philadelphia Eagles player who is originally from Richmond.

“I knew it was far-fetched and I didn’t know what I was expecting,” Soape said. “But I figured at least I would try.”

“Hey, this is kind of a crazy big ask, and please feel free to say no, but there’s this dance at the end of January,” Soape wrote to the NFL player, explaining her daughter’s predicament. “Is there any way you would consider doing this?”

To her shock, he replied right away. Given that the football season was still in motion and there was a chance his team might make it to the playoffs, Harris couldn’t immediately commit.

“If we don’t make it to the playoffs, I would be open to that,” he wrote back to Soape.

This wasn’t the first time Harris and Soape had corresponded. They started communicating periodically over Instagram in March 2020.

Soape and her two children live in Pflugerville, Tex., just north of Austin, but she is originally from Minnesota. The Soape family has long been a fan of the Minnesota Vikings, and their favorite player is Harris — who played for the NFL team for six seasons before signing a contract with the Eagles in March 2021.

Soape spontaneously sent him a message on social media one day to let him know that she and her family are big fans and that they wanted to send their prayers and support amid the pandemic. The last thing she expected was a reply.

“But he responded, which was kind of incredible,” Soape recalled.

Every few months, she would write Harris to check in and let him know that her family was watching from home and rooting for him. Most often, to her delight, he would respond.

In an interview with The Washington Post, Harris said he was touched by her support.

“To continue those efforts really showed that they appreciated not only who I was as a player, but also what I was doing as a person,” said Harris, 30. “This is somebody who never met me in person; this is somebody who has just been following my career and not only paying attention to what I do on the field, but also what I do off the field.”

For her part, Soape said she found “all his posts really down to earth” on social media, and “he just felt really personable and relatable to me.”

“He seemed so real and so genuine, and it really made me feel like he was more of a person that we could get to know,” Soape continued.

She decided to send him a message the day after her husband died in a tragic accident, hoping he would send back a word of condolence. Harris, who was raised by a single mother, wanted to return the support Soape had given him over the years.

“I will absolutely pray for you,” Harris wrote to her. “Please let me know if you need anything.”

Soape said she never expected to take Harris up on his offer, but for her daughter’s sake, she figured it was worth a shot.

When it became clear in mid-January that the football season was over for the Eagles, Harris kept his word. He told Soape that he would fly across the country to accompany Audrey to the father-daughter dance at the Fellowship Church in Round Rock, Tex.

Harris said he was moved by Soape’s invitation and recognized her as “a mother doing what she can to provide for her family.” He wanted to try to make a sad situation better, in some small way.

When Harris confirmed that he would be there, “I was really blown away,” Soape said. “It was just disbelief.”

Harris also insisted on buying Audrey a brand-new dress and shoes to wear that night, and he arranged for her to get her hair and makeup done.

“He spared no expense whatsoever, and he just wanted to make sure that she felt special and cared about,” Soape said.

“I wanted to try to make it a very unique experience,” Harris echoed. “I wanted her to feel like a princess.”

He also wanted to alleviate some costs, as “deaths could come with some financial burden as well,” he said. “I thought that this would take another load off of what the family was going through.”

On Jan. 28, Harris arrived at the Soape’s home to pick up Audrey for the dance. She stepped outside, wearing her new floral dress with tan heels, to meet her date for the first time.

“I couldn’t believe that this was happening,” Audrey said. In equal measure, “I was nervous and excited to meet him.”

The feelings were mutual: “I think I might have been a little more nervous than she was,” Harris confessed with a laugh.

But he did everything possible to make Audrey feel comfortable around him, by chatting with her and trying to relate to her as best he could.

His efforts worked. Before long, “it didn’t feel like I was with someone that was in the NFL,” Audrey said. “It felt like I was with a normal person that was my friend.”

The duo danced and laughed for several hours that night, and they also participated in a scavenger hunt.

“We had fun. That was what it was all about,” Harris said.

Soape volunteered to chaperone at the event so that she could spend some time with her favorite football player, too.

“He had such a sense about him where if he could tell she was feeling nervous or uncomfortable, he would just break the ice,” Soape said. “He really just engaged with her the entire night and made sure she never felt alone.”

Plus, she added, “when you see someone show up for your kid to make them feel special, to make them feel unique, it was just so unbelievably touching for me.”

For Harris, ensuring Audrey felt special and supported was his top priority that evening.

“I just wanted to try to help her cope through that experience without her father being there,” he said. “I had people in my life, sometimes complete strangers, that were very supportive of me, so I wanted to do that for her.”

Harris hopes his presence at the dance demonstrated to Audrey and others that “you can one day potentially be a support system to someone else,” he said. “You don’t have to know somebody to help them.”

• Hook 'Em 1