Buck's Barbeque Co.

ChampKind

On 3/10/2019 at 10:25 PM, ChampKind said:

That’s correct. Roughly 12 hours. They rest to 150-160* after coming off the pit, then go into the cabinet to hold.

But let me clarify, they are pulled when they probe tender. That usually is around 206-210*.

Follow up. I've got one holding in the oven now. Do you rest cap up or down, and does it matter? I've got it in there cap down in an aluminum pan, wrapped, holding steady around 140 meat temp.

9 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

Follow up. I've got one holding in the oven now. Do you rest cap up or down, and does it matter? I've got it in there cap down in an aluminum pan, wrapped, holding steady around 140 meat temp.

Is that a turkey pan by chance?

4 hours ago, DoobieWah said:

But Roegels does, I think.

I would agree with you on that, and I would offer a list of 12 is too many.  There aren't 12 places worth spending money at IMO.  The roster is deeper than it has ever been for places that have brought great que to a city that was sorely lacking it 10 years ago.  that said, there aren't 12 I would patronize happily.  there are about 7.  

Edited by pepper brooks
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ChampKind said:

I have a different mac recipe that I use, but I don't make it that often. Making the bechamel takes time (something I don't have much of) and it's difficult to hold the mac at temp during the day without it drying up.

yeah.  I figured that was the case.  any progress on the sauerkraut situation?

If you're in the H tomorrow, then you should probably make plans to hit Buck's right about 1100hrs. Doing butterfinger briskets, and trying something else a little off the beaten path. I've concocted a pork rub that uses crushed Cap'n Crunch Crunch Berries as the base. That's going on pork shoulder for some crunch berry pulled pork.  I've never tried this before, and it may be horrible. But I have a hunch it will be pretty damned delicious.  These won't last long, so arrive early or leave disappointed.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChampKind said:

Nah...ran them through the food processor. Added paprika, cayenne, and kosher salt to balance it out. I hope.

ecc87a155ee0f531bb7aa02cbf1772fc.jpg

Genius idea, Champ.  My concern would be the low burn temp/time of that much sugar.  Everything I ever try to experiment with that is heavy in sugar usually ends up burnt to hell.  But that’s usually on a grill or stove which would be higher temps and more direct heat so I’m sure you’re fine.  Report back

3 hours ago, ChampKind said:

d9949578452b32de8d0134420ece8cbb.jpg

Mmhmm, mmhmm. This tastes good. Finished with an apple-cranberry bbq sauce and a light dusting of crunch berries

I moseyed down to LL for lunch today and had this. Champ is a stinking genius.  Very moist and tender pulled pork with a bark that offered the perfect tensile strength to provide a slightly resistive and manageable crunch without being an over-cooked titanium shell.  The bark was sweet but not saccharine with just the right amount of “other stuff” that prevented it from tasting candied. 

Did I say Champ is a stinking genius?  If I didn’t then Champ is a stinking genius. 

• Like 1

We get a lot of bbq fanatics coming through to eat. This guys is one of the most active aficionados out there, and getting love from him carries some weight. I was humbled by his comments about his last visit.