Buck's Barbeque Co.

ChampKind

5 hours ago, ChampKind said:

What’s wrong with Brookstreet and Houston Barbecue Co?

HBC is the worst BBQ on the planet.  my god.  otherworldly bad.  I ate there once this past summer when I was on a consulting gig out in the energy corridor.  The frozen fried okra was by far the highlight of their product offering.  The ribs they gave me were absolutely re-heated garbage from the night before, or the night before the night before.  Brisket was at best pot roast like roasted in a gas oven with maybe some wood chips in a water bowl thrown in in some bad effort to provide "smoke".  

On 1/11/2019 at 2:15 PM, ChampKind said:

I get your point, but I have no problem claiming John as a friend. I accept John for who he is. The squash recipe is his, I’m simply giving credit where it is due. Could I come up with my own recipe? Sure. But I see no reason to.

Yep, you give that shit credit where it's due.

Buddy of mine opened Sonny William's Steak Room in Little Rock years back.  One of the hooks he had there was to offer signature dishes and appetizers from all of his favorite restaurants around that area of the country (especially NOLA).  Mr. B's BBQ Shrimp, La Rivier's Turtle Soup, Char Grilled Oysters from The Dakota in Covington, LA, etc.

Right on the menu he gave each billing.

People flocked and those establishments invited him in to get the recipes dialed in.

Good on you Champ.

39 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

While we're discussing how to spend Champ's imaginary millions, I say you should buy the old Liberty Kitchen location in Garden Oaks. Probably a little too close to Gatlin's though, but worth a shot!

Well, Gaitlin's is terrible, so shouldn't matter. 

On 2/11/2019 at 5:20 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

So yeah, as I was saying, that area needs a legitimate BBQ joint. All the O & G people would hit it up. I am sure a spot off gessner is doable.

would pull in some of the memorial crowd too, the only close bbq establishment is goode company and well ....

3 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

While we're discussing how to spend Champ's imaginary millions, I say you should buy the old Liberty Kitchen location in Garden Oaks. Probably a little too close to Gatlin's though, but worth a shot!

gatlins is miles behind Champ in the pecking order.  He would shut them down in short order.  Although, Gatlins does seem to have a bit of a cult following.  I don't really get it.  They're super nice, but their bbq is average at its best.  

8 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

gatlins is miles behind Champ in the pecking order.  He would shut them down in short order.  Although, Gatlins does seem to have a bit of a cult following.  I don't really get it.  They're super nice, but their bbq is average at its best.  

Their BBQ was much, much better their first year or so of operation. As were their sides. They first opened in a little shack of a house right around the corner from my old town home. Place was immediately swamped because a) There wasn't SHIT in Houston that could be called BBQ and b) their product was pretty damn good. I remember going the first week they were open, and their dirty rice felt like a revelation, and all the bbq I had was top notch. Went there a few other times, and the lines were always out the door, and everyone had good things to say, food was good. 

Fast forward like 6 months or a year after my last trip, and literally everything I had was average or shit. Their dirty rice was dry and flavorless, their pulled pork stringy, their brisket dry. Last time I ever went, and never even considered trying their new location off 34th and Ella or wherever the fuck it is located. I assume they cut corners and got lazy as the demand increased. Either way, it's not a place I'd recommend to anyone. 

2 hours ago, pepper brooks said:

Kinda what I was getting at. The BBQ aficionados on Surly may have soured on Gatlin's, but the general public hasn't from what I've noticed. There's still a full house every time I swing by for lunch (it's 3 minutes from my office.)

On 2/11/2019 at 10:31 AM, ChampKind said:

Bust out yo checkbook and I’m all in. Might need to take out a second mortgage tho, cause that space ain’t cheap

Um, crowdfunding this? Because that's my hood and fuck yeah.

Kinda what I was getting at. The BBQ aficionados on Surly may have soured on Gatlin's, but the general public hasn't from what I've noticed. There's still a full house every time I swing by for lunch (it's 3 minutes from my office.)

Shit they regularly get referred to as one of the best in town. Service is mindblowingly slow. Meat is fairly flavorless and unremarkable. Family are super nice people. I just won’t spend my $$ there again though.

That being said, Champ’s que is an atomic bomb of flavor goodness. I think a lot of people are accustomed to a more bland flavor profile on their protein and expect to sauce it to taste. Decades and decades of shitty que in Houston have conditioned people. We can shit talk Goode and Rudy’s all we want but they do fuck tons of business.

10 minutes ago, Ldogg53 said:

Shit they regularly get referred to as one of the best in town. Service is mindblowingly slow. Meat is fairly flavorless and unremarkable. Family are super nice people. I just won’t spend my $$ there again though.

That being said, Champ’s que is an atomic bomb of flavor goodness. I think a lot of people are accustomed to a more bland flavor profile on their protein and expect to sauce it to taste. Decades and decades of shitty que in Houston have conditioned people. We can shit talk Goode and Rudy’s all we want but they do fuck tons of business.

Goode Co does smoked chicken and potato salet about as great as those items can be done.  Their brisket is usually dry as a hell, their ribs are nothing special, and the sausage is pedestrian at best.  But that chicken is damn good.  Before Champ, Pit Room, Pinkerton and some of the other recent additions it could be argued that the chicken at Goode Co was the high water mark for Houston bbq.  That and the brisket at Thelma's original location were about the only things half way worth a damn.  We've come a long way in the last 5 years.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Did a cool little event this past Monday for Taste of Italy. They did a wine tasting and paired it with Texas Barbeque. It was me, Harlem Road, and Beaver’s. My dish was smoked beef tenderloin with a white bean puree and balsamic reduction. Garnished it chopped italian parsley and basil chiffonade. Got rave reviews about it. No garnish in this pic

bd2ce34acba0bf866f8f32f113f15a5d.jpg

• Like 5

We’ll be open and slinging que. What time of day you thinking?
Probably bringing the wife by to try the meatloaf around 5. There's a Rockets game that night, so I might try for 4 to avoid any rush. We're staying at the Alessandra, so we're within shouting distance.

2 hours ago, ChampKind said:

Good to know. I’ll need to sit on some meatloaf for you, that shit is usually gone by 1500

For the uninitiated, a heat lamp would dry it out. Sitting on it will mush it a bit, but at least it will still be moist. 

Pro Tip #234. 

Edited by DoobieWah
  • Like 2

On 2/11/2019 at 2:34 PM, pepper brooks said:

HBC is the worst BBQ on the planet.  my god.  otherworldly bad.  I ate there once this past summer when I was on a consulting gig out in the energy corridor.  The frozen fried okra was by far the highlight of their product offering.  The ribs they gave me were absolutely re-heated garbage from the night before, or the night before the night before.  Brisket was at best pot roast like roasted in a gas oven with maybe some wood chips in a water bowl thrown in in some bad effort to provide "smoke".  

This brought a question to my mind. For the Pros here.

Full disclosure: I have ZERO food service professional  experience.  Only home smoking.

I find that next day pork ribs can be awesome, in some ways more flavorful.  However,they can definitely get warmed over flavor if they are microwaved too much.

Do you guys only serve from “fresh” cooked stuff?  I am sure most places serve next day.(based on my experience with restaurant barbecue)

49 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

This brought a question to my mind. For the Pros here.

Full disclosure: I have ZERO food service professional  experience.  Only home smoking.

I find that next day pork ribs can be awesome, in some ways more flavorful.  However,they can definitely get warmed over flavor if they are microwaved too much.

Do you guys only serve from “fresh” cooked stuff?  I am sure most places serve next day.(based on my experience with restaurant barbecue)

I don’t own a restaurant so i guess the answer for me is yes. I only serve guests meat straight off the smoker that day.  Of course, I rehear my own leftovers, but that’s a whole other deal.  When I went to Houston bbq co they had very clearly served me very shitty reheated ribs. I think you can get away with reheating a brisket if done properly, I don’t think I’ve ever had reheated ribs that were decent. I’m not the biggest pork rib fan in the world to begin with.  

1 hour ago, pepper brooks said:

I don’t own a restaurant so i guess the answer for me is yes. I only serve guests meat straight off the smoker that day.  Of course, I rehear my own leftovers, but that’s a whole other deal.  When I went to Houston bbq co they had very clearly served me very shitty reheated ribs. I think you can get away with reheating a brisket if done properly, I don’t think I’ve ever had reheated ribs that were decent. I’m not the biggest pork rib fan in the world to begin with.  

I just quoted you because your comment is what sparked my thoughts.

More a general question for anyone.  Sorry if confusing.

I don’t serve brisket fresh off the pit unless I absolutely have to. My briskets are cooked a day ahead and then held overnight. My opinion is that they simply do not loosen up right otherwise. Even though my briskets are probe tender and typically 206-210* in the flat when pulled from the pit. That rest at temp is the key.

Its also possible to cook, hold, refrigerate, and reheat brisket with no degradation. You just can’t reheat them past 150*, otherwise you cook all the rendered fat out of them.

Ribs and the other small proteins can likewise be refrigerated and reheated to serving temp, but only one time.

And when I say reheat, I’m talking about in an oven and properly wrapped to retain moisture.

Any asshole that microwaves smoked meats to reheat them deserves to have all their fingernails ripped out with pliers. Hell, I don’t even have a microwave in my place. Bc its just an unacceptable practice in my view.

• Like 3