Buck's Barbeque Co.

ChampKind

3 minutes ago, ChampKind said:

I don’t serve brisket fresh off the pit unless I absolutely have to. My briskets are cooked a day ahead and then held overnight. My opinion is that they simply do not loosen up right otherwise. Even though my briskets are probe tender and typically 206-210* in the flat when pulled from the pit. That rest at temp is the key.

Its also possible to cook, hold, refrigerate, and reheat brisket with no degradation. You just can’t reheat them past 150*, otherwise you cook all the rendered fat out of them.

Ribs and the other small proteins can likewise be refrigerated and reheated to serving temp, but only one time.

And when I say reheat, I’m talking about in an oven and properly wrapped to retain moisture.

Any asshole that microwaves smoked meats to reheat them deserves to have all their fingernails ripped out with pliers. Hell, I don’t even have a microwave in my place. Bc its just an unacceptable practice in my view.

So you finish them at 206-210 and hold them at 145ish for 12+ hours until ready to serve? 

God dammit it's been a long winter, I feel like it's time to go back to the lab. 

Much love Champ. I really need a work assignment in Houston. 

Yeah for a lifetime I've been basically using the slicer to work its way in between the point and the flat. Completely separating them and slicing against the grain accordingly. That's not what you did there, or what I've seen online for the past few years. Looks like you basically found the spot where the point "ended" and chopped it in half there. And then sliced against the grain accordingly. No? 

13 hours ago, ChampKind said:

And when I say reheat, I’m talking about in an oven and properly wrapped to retain moisture.

There is a VERY well known BBQ joint that smokes their meat in Southern Pride gas fired smokers, cryovacs, then reheats it over open flame. Just as another data point of how it Can be reheated.

Edited by relapse98

Champ that is an interesting concept, is that a common practice amongst bbq joints?

when you say properly wrapped or whatever, do you wrap briskets and ribs in plastic wrap for holding in an Alto Shaam? 

would love to know more about this. 

I know for fact that several of my close friends follow this practice (although length of hold varies from place to place). I’ve heard from a few guys that Franklin also holds overnight, but I can not absolutely confirm that since I’ve never worked there nor have I asked Aaron about it. Its a process that works for me, so don’t really care if anyone else does it.

I do not hold pork ribs overnight. Only brisket and beef rib. Small cuts are always refrigerated, but I don’t usually cook those ahead. Just the large cuts of beef.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

Much love Champ. I really need a work assignment in Houston. 

Yeah for a lifetime I've been basically using the slicer to work its way in between the point and the flat. Completely separating them and slicing against the grain accordingly. That's not what you did there, or what I've seen online for the past few years. Looks like you basically found the spot where the point "ended" and chopped it in half there. And then sliced against the grain accordingly. No? 

Yeah, that was the most common practice in Central Texas up until maybe... 20-30 years ago?  Nowadays lots of places are doing it the way Champ does it in that video.

Personally I still prefer it completely separated. Even fully rendered, I don't like that hunk of fat running through the middle of my slices when the back end isn't separated and is sliced together.  But I also prefer lean over fatty, so my slices are just about always coming off the front end of the flat anyway.

Edited by utee94

I trim my briskets aggressively. As in that big vein of fat and the meat on top of it are taken off. Those trimmings are ground into my meatloaf grind. But I trim my briskets like that for two reasons:

1. To avoid having to deal with that vein of fat on the cutting block; and

2. To make the briskets very uniform and aerodynamic before they go on the pit. My pit draws very well. I don’t need a bunch of misshaped masses of beef disrupting the airflow

2 hours ago, utee94 said:

Yeah, that was the most common practice in Central Texas up until maybe... 20-30 years ago?  Nowadays lots of places are doing it the way Champ does it in that video.

Personally I still prefer it completely separated. Even fully rendered, I don't like that hunk of fat running through the middle of my slices when the back end isn't separated and is sliced together.  But I also prefer lean over fatty, so my slices are just about always coming off the front end of the flat anyway.

20-30 years ago? Really?

Champ and luke et al basically taught me how to cook brisket within the past 7-8 years and somehow that is what I picked up at the time. I have no frame of reference so that could well be true. 

7 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

20-30 years ago? Really?

Champ and luke et al basically taught me how to cook brisket within the past 7-8 years and somehow that is what I picked up at the time. I have no frame of reference so that could well be true. 

Not saying it isn't still done that way.  There are still places that do that, including any time I cook/cater/serve brisket.

But now, the way that Champ illustrated in the video has become a lot more common, and indeed is probably the prevalent method among all of the "new era" BBQ joints in Central Texas.

If you’re into podcasts and have 45 mins to spare. This is a good one. Goes pretty in depth about how I ended up slinging bbq for a living and how I approach what I do now.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/cost-of-goods-told/id1440392209?mt=2&i=1000431641155

Same guys hacked together this little promo video from their visit last Saturday

• Like 2

That was a good podcast, Champ. I subscribed to them.. I'm always into anything food. The first one they released with the Poke guy had some production issues (way too fscking loud background) but it seems they may have gotten them ironed out.

And way off topic - the Poke guy is dreaming. He waited too long to franchise that shit out, the market (as he noted) is just too saturated now. There will probably be a couple of Poke franchisors but I think it would be someone with some really deep pockets that can saturate markets ala Subway/McD etc. Not some guy that just started his first restaurant in 30 years.

If you’re into podcasts and have 45 mins to spare. This is a good one. Goes pretty in depth about how I ended up slinging bbq for a living and how I approach what I do now.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/cost-of-goods-told/id1440392209?mt=2&i=1000431641155

Same guys hacked together this little promo video from their visit last Saturday

Available for android anywhere?

3 hours ago, ChampKind said:

About that pastrami tho...

9a07456ecf0784573d1d46d8ad8445ac.jpg

4cf57f5c50954fa2a0070c7d4c41b03f.jpg

4b9939619728a1d0f7950ad1f6de6129.jpg

Thinking this might need to be a weekly special. Its that good.

he's totally underselling this pastrami, and how awesome it is.  I really hope this becomes a weekly special, and I hope it has some form of sauerkraut/braised cabbage with it.  I cannot recall ever having pastrami that flavorful or tender, and the smoke only added to the allure.  It was exceptionally spectacular.  So disappointed I only took a taste of it rather than about 2 pounds worth.  

• Like 1

Well see, what had happened was...

During the set up for St Pat’s the crew fenced in my wood racks. 0400 that morning I was trying to get more wood and leaned over a 2”x4” hand rail using my rib cage to balance my body. That was a poor strategy.

Sucked it up and dealt with all week and finally had to go to the ER this past Saturday.

I’ve been instructed to take a few days off and try to heal up some. So we won’t be running lunch service on Tue or Wed this week.

• Like 2