2022 Texas High School Football

texifornia

Calallen 64. Kingsville 3. Was 50-0 at half.

This district we are in sucks.

Brownsville Vets beats the Donna slurs 60-7. Vets is usually the only other respectable football school in Brownsville besides Hanna but damn. No disrespect to Billy Garza’s Porter teams back in the day.

Well damn. I thought Donna was Texas back?

4 hours ago, Helobious said:

Brownsville Vets beats the Donna slurs 60-7. Vets is usually the only other respectable football school in Brownsville besides Hanna but damn. No disrespect to Billy Garza’s Porter teams back in the day.

Rivera during Tom Chavez’ first tenure had some damn good, salty teams. Attitude bordering on out of control.

I’m calling that district for Vets. South can’t quite match that explosiveness. 

Beau called it, but 3AD1 Bushland has kicked the shit out of solid 4AD1 schools the last 2 weeks, winning at then 8th ranked Dumas, 38-20 and following that up with a 56-14 shellacking of previously undefeated EP Riverside.

3AD2 Canadian whipping up on usually solid 4AD1 Canyon Randall, 56-21.  Their game against Childress this coming week will probably decide the District Title.

Another eyebrow raiser was 2AD1 Stratford taking down 4AD2 Perryton 28-21.

Stratford and Canadian are both traditionally very stout programs, and many of the schools their size won't schedule them.  I love it when they go kick the shit out of schools twice their size.

6 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Rivera during Tom Chavez’ first tenure had some damn good, salty teams. Attitude bordering on out of control.

I’m calling that district for Vets. South can’t quite match that explosiveness. 

Yes they did .   Going kind of way back to the late 70s and early 80s, Pace had some darn good teams too.  It was always between them and Donna for the title, but only one team went to playoffs until 82 or so.  They gave what was then the buzzsaw for valley teams to meet in the playoff in Gregory Portland fits a few times.  

Correct if wrong, but is a lot of the Brownsville growth the last couple of decades been in the Los Fresnos ISD?   I recall when they used to be a 4A (then 3A) and gradually rose to where they are today.   Same with the La Joya and Sharyland in the west RGV where most of their growth is thanks to Mission and McAllen.  They used to be in the same district with Los Fresnos.  

10 hours ago, Helobious said:

Kingsville actually has a 3-star offensive lineman right now. Surprised CC Miller or Vets didn’t recruit him away.

Lol.   It wouldn’t shock me to see Miller before the UIL one day for this.  Really the whole CCISD is a mess with how they twisted knots to get Vets up and running .  And saved Miller from closing shop and consolidating with Ray and Moody because their enrollment was due to the industrial activity in their zone.  

Kingsville used to have a decent program.   They never won district titles or anything like that in 5a (old 6A) or 4A, but they didn’t look like a train wreck like I saw last night.  They used to have some big time size and back in the late 90s sent three linemen to P5 schools for which one of them started for Horns.   And they would send some useful talent to the local college too.  They just have horrible community support.    I know a former AD who was there about 40 years ago who tried back then to get the ISD to build them their own stadium so they could get out if the shadow of the college which was a football machine back then and they laughed at him. 

Edited by Nueces River Rat
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Yes they did .   Going kind of way back to the late 70s and early 80s, Pace had some darn good teams too.  It was always between them and Donna for the title, but only one team went to playoffs until 82 or so.  They gave what was then the buzzsaw for valley teams to meet in the playoff in Gregory Portland fits a few times.  

Correct if wrong, but is a lot of the Brownsville growth the last couple of decades been in the Los Fresnos ISD?   I recall when they used to be a 4A (then 3A) and gradually rose to where they are today.   Same with the La Joya and Sharyland in the west RGV where most of their growth is thanks to Mission and McAllen.  They used to be in the same district with Los Fresnos.  

The Los Fresnos ISD is huge geographically  and yes, a lot of the growth and especially the good development has been in that ISD. It also has a pretty good reputation. They’ve benefited a lot and at one point they looked like they were going to be the next big thing in Valley big school football. That hasn’t happened due to coaching instability but they are pretty much always a playoff contender and will make runs at a district title. 

Brownsville is just different, man, even for the valley. The rest of the RGV, you see kids in the street or a lot with a football.  In Brownsville, it’s street soccer (Porter has won a state championship).  Vets is really the only bright spot even with many of the schools dropping out of the big school bracket. 

La Joya is another small town, massive ISD by land mass. And the Coyotes are another team that used to make some noise but fell off as the district opened another school. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Ravishing Rick said:

Highland Park is putting an absolute ass whipping on Dallas Jesuit. 35-0 early in the 3rd. I thought Jesuit might be able to compete.  Nope.  

Go Scots!

It's like you were trying to jinx them...apparently it almost worked 

Edited by Dennis Taylor
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, 956 Worldwide said:

The Los Fresnos ISD is huge geographically  and yes, a lot of the growth and especially the good development has been in that ISD. It also has a pretty good reputation. They’ve benefited a lot and at one point they looked like they were going to be the next big thing in Valley big school football. That hasn’t happened due to coaching instability but they are pretty much always a playoff contender and will make runs at a district title. 

Brownsville is just different, man, even for the valley. The rest of the RGV, you see kids in the street or a lot with a football.  In Brownsville, it’s street soccer (Porter has won a state championship).  Vets is really the only bright spot even with many of the schools dropping out of the big school bracket. 

La Joya is another small town, massive ISD by land mass. And the Coyotes are another team that used to make some noise but fell off as the district opened another school. 

True story about Porter.  So I played basketball too and we were getting off the bus at Porter for a game right when school was being released.   Our team of 15 was probably 11 Hispanic and 4 Anglo and a couple of us were not the blue eyed/blonde Anglo if you know what I mean.  I passed for a Mexican National from Monterrey several times in my life because I looked like some of those folks and btw the chics from that part of Mexico were always hot, but that’s for another discussion.  Lol.   Anyhow the first couple of my teammates who  were pretty dark complected  get off the bus and some cholos were hanging out and the first thing they said “Hey, pinche Gringos!” Man we all got into the Lockeroom just rolling on the floor laughing.  

• Haha 1

On 9/29/2022 at 5:49 PM, Beau Vine said:

DFW

Grapevine @ Colleyville Heritage  That these two teams are ranked in the top 10 of 5AD2 says more about what a wasteland 5AD2 is, as if having a 4AD1 team playing its first season in 5A being ranked #1 wasn't a big enough clue.  C-H is ranked higher (5 vs 8 ) and they're playing at home, so that's enough reason to pick them.

“Mustang-Panther Stadium will be undergoing an $18 million renovation over the next two years.  The stadium, which is the home field for Grapevine and Colleyville Heritage High Schools, opened in the 70’s”

I love these posts you do!  But not sure how much influence “home field” will have.

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I believe all of Porter, Lopez, and Rivera have won a soccer state title in the past 20 years. Glad they found a sport they could excel at, they underachieved for the most part before the 2000s. 

Interested to see how water polo does in the RGV lol. It’s exploded this year. A lot of schools have teams and it’s UIL sponsored now. 

• Like 1

Austin

Vandegrift at Manor  Vandy has rebounded from an opening week loss that looks much better now that we see how good Dripping is.  They've won the last 3 by 131-13.  Manor is undefeated, albeit against an easier schedule, and they're the underdogs here.

Manor scored first, but then all Vandy, 34-6

Navarro at Eastside  Yes, Navarro at Eastside in a titanic tilt!   Navarro has lost 22 in a row.  Eastside has lost 24 in a row.  VIKINGS!  PANTHERZ!!!  SOMEONE *HAS* TO WIN!!!!!  (Unless there's another staph infection outbreak.)

44-6 Navarro 

DFW

Grapevine @ Colleyville Heritage  That these two teams are ranked in the top 10 of 5AD2 says more about what a wasteland 5AD2 is, as if having a 4AD1 team playing its first season in 5A being ranked #1 wasn't a big enough clue.  C-H is ranked higher (5 vs 8 ) and they're playing at home, so that's enough reason to pick them.

44-26 on 440 yards rushing for Grapevine.

Coppell @ Lewisville  Coppell seems like a program that is not nearly as good as it should be, given the demographics.  They're undefeated this year, almost entirely due to the offense, as the D has allowed over 30 ppg, with 26 being the lowest allowed.  The Fighting Farmers lost to Highland Park at the start of the month, but have played solid otherwise.  This could be a 54-51 type game.

Lewisville's two RBs combined for 300+ rushing at over 10 ypc. 38-3

Houston

CE King @ North Shore  These are two of the top 6A programs in the Houston area, but it will not be a close game because NS is simply on a different level from everyone else.

Forgot already.  NS by a lot.  35-3?

Jersey Village @ Cy-Fair Two more of these suburban NW Houston schools that I can't keep track of because a new one pops up every year (hey to Frisco), so I know nothing about either of these teams other than they're a combined 7-1 and they're going to score a shit-ton of points Friday night.

CF 61 JV 49.  Boom. 

San Antonio 

Brandeis @ Johnson  Both of these teams have lost once, Brandeis to Brennan and Johnson to Judson, but this one is probably going to eventually decide the district championship.  Johnson is being Johnson again, piling up lots of points and allowing a little fewer.  Brandeis's D will decide this one.

What a game!  Brandeis trailed 24-7 going into the 4th, but rallied with 4 TDs to win 35-24.

RGV

Donna @ Brownsville Vets  The Redskins come into this game undefeated, and hey, have you heard about the movie they made about the 1961 team?  Vets lost their opener 17-3 to San Benito, but seem to have fixed their offense.  DCTF's computer has BV favored by 11, but that smells funny.  Soooo...

Let's just keep moving along.  60-7 BV

West Texas

EP Riverside @ Bushland  I know nothing about any schools from the Sun City, as it is a football wasteland that rightfully belongs in New Mexico.  Riverside is 5-0 and in 4AD1 and I have no clue why they thought it would be a good idea to get on the bus and drive 400+ miles to play a 3AD1 team that's ranked 6th and that last week went on the road and spanked a ranked 4AD1 team.  Long drive back.

56-14 Bushland.  With the possible exception of Breckenridge, the Falcons look like the big favorite in 3AD1R1.

Mason @ Wall  Two great programs that are a little down this season.  Wall (3AD2) has no offense, but they have a great D that turns every game into a rock fight.  Mason (2AD2) lost a 7-6 squeaker to a very good Coleman team in the opener, but have since pantsed their opposition by 174-26.  I hate to pick a smaller school on the road, but I think Mason will score less than normal, but enough to win.

Wall got an INT in the final minute to hold on 14-6.

Central Texas

Brownwood @ Stephenville  Once perhaps the biggest rivalry in the state, these two wandered lost for a few years due to coaching turnover and unfavorable realignment.  S'ville clearly got the coaching situation fixed, as The New Guy won state last year and is ranked #1 this season.  B'wood is a couple of years behind in that process.  They won't win this, but they'll remember this game in two years when their sophs are seniors.

Tied at the half, Stephenville dominated the 2nd, 42-21.

East Texas 

Center @ Rusk  Center has allowed 157 points in 3 of their games and 6 points in their other 2.  They'll get a Rusk team coming of a surprising loss to Alvarado.  It's makes me sad that this is the best game in East Texas.

Rusk 40-35

Coastal Bend

Absolute shite this week.  I am not going to write about King @ Carroll, which looks like the best game in the area.  Edcouch-Elsa @ Flour Bluff is probably the most interesting just for its... uh, intersectionality?

Sheeeeyit, the FB game is actually next week.  NOt going to bother looking up a CCC score.

Other fun scores:

Highland Park nearly blew a 35-0 4th quarter lead, but beat Jesuit 35-28.

Rockwall 37 Mesq Horn 34

Angleton 44 Fulshear 40

Lubbock Cooper 15 Coronado 14 on a last-second 50y FG

Decatur 35 Hirschi 19!  Wow!

@Helobious What happened to SA Cornerstone?  They decide to quit recruiting after only 1 year?

SA Davenport 63 Devine 48

Port Isabel 66 Correcaminos UAT, MX 6.  Okaaaay?

Muleshoe 39 Brownfield 37

Franklin 63 Rockdale 42

Santa Rosa 21 Odem 20  The Owls are 0-6 after going 11-1 last year.

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I believe all of Porter, Lopez, and Rivera have won a soccer state title in the past 20 years. Glad they found a sport they could excel at, they underachieved for the most part before the 2000s. 

Interested to see how water polo does in the RGV lol. It’s exploded this year. A lot of schools have teams and it’s UIL sponsored now. 

Man, I would have killed for a chance to play water polo for the Cards.  Usually swimmers who are fast but not super fast get funneled into that game.  A nasty attitude will get you a long way there. 

@Beau Vine I think a lot of players just started realizing they got better competition and coaching at their public schools. Steele’s current stud sophomore QB went to middle school at Cornerstone and was supposed to be next in their pipeline but he wised up and went to Steele. Extended to whole athletic program too, they had a couple of their biggest basketball stars transfer to Wagner a couple years ago. 

• Hook 'Em 3

My SA “Southside Rivalry” turned into not so much! Home team was able to get the 2nd team and leftovers into the game, prior to the 4Q.

Since it was Homecoming, 28 min halftime, I wanted to go work the Food Truck offerings, but my White Hat said NO! There was NO home specialty of foods to the Refs post game.

I of course missed the Halftime action by the bands, which I’m sure were a treat for those in attendance! On to next week!

Hook’em!

• Hook 'Em 1

For those “interested” I’m trying to be very vague on my HS comments, as TASO/UIL doesn’t want us commenting on social media. I’ll give y’all all the info I can, but I can’t cross the line. For those of you, over the years understand, just saying.

Hook’em!

• Hook 'Em 5

11 minutes ago, msucolt45 said:

For those “interested” I’m trying to be very vague on my HS comments, as TASO/UIL doesn’t want us commenting on social media. I’ll give y’all all the info I can, but I can’t cross the line. For those of you, over the years understand, just saying.

Hook’em!

I appreciate what you do.

Also, if you referee any upcoming Westlake playoff games in San Antonio, let me know. I'm $ure we can make the experience very rewarding for you. 

• Haha 2

For example, we are so “short” of officials in SA (State Wide), I got home last night at 11:00, which was nice because I had a local game, but had to be at a SA area sub-varsity game by 8:30. Got home at 1:00, but wife not happy as this is my 3rd Saturday in a row!

Hook’em!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 10/1/2022 at 4:41 PM, msucolt45 said:

For example, we are so “short” of officials in SA (State Wide), I got home last night at 11:00, which was nice because I had a local game, but had to be at a SA area sub-varsity game by 8:30. Got home at 1:00, but wife not happy as this is my 3rd Saturday in a row!

Hook’em!

What's the pay scale these days?  It's something I might be interested in after my last one graduates from high school next year.  

NRR,

Varsity games are based on gate receipts, on a sliding scale of attendance totals. $90 is the minimum for those, plus $20 travel as a minimum under 30 miles. Most 5-6A pay, inside the greater San Antonio area average around $130 to $150, including the 20 for travel as we (my crew) arrive on our own prior to the game.

Mileage goes up with every “30 mile band” by $15, to a max of $50, under 90 miles. +90 and they want the crew to arrive by car sharing and we usually get my 7-man crew in two vehicles. Mileage is based on chapter center location, so ours is in downtown San Antonio.

For sub-varsity games, it’s based on length of clock quarters: 7th/8th are 8:00 or less, so $50 each game. Frosh/JV games are usually 10:00 or 9:00 Qtrs, so those pay $55 each. Then you add the mileage, with a minimum of $20. Most of the larger schools will have two teams (A and B), until grades come out and some will start dropping B games.

Hook’em!

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

John Walsh and San Marcos get 3 years probation. They will still be playoff eligible. UIL decided to not waste time banning them from something they never would’ve made anyway.

Statesman article.    Says State UIL can revisit after further investigation.    Confusing ?

ROUND ROCK — After more than a month of fighting for his team’s right to participate in the playoffs, San Marcos football coach and athletic director John Walsh had one immediate reaction when the UIL’s state executive committee allowed his team to compete in the 2022 postseason.

“We have Samuel Clemens Friday night, so I get to go back to the school and coach for a playoff spot,” he said, referring to the Rattlers’ District 27-6A opener against Schertz Clemens this week in San Marcos. Of the playoff ban, he said, “It would have been unfair to punish those kids that had nothing to do with anything that was put out there.”

What was “put out there” — a ruling by District 27-6A’s executive committee in August — included a two-year playoff ban for the San Marcos football program as well as a public reprimand for Walsh for recruiting violations. The district committee ruled by unanimous vote that Walsh’s program had recruited a group of youth football players from the San Antonio area to enroll at San Marcos High School as freshmen for this school year and join the school’s football program.

The majority of those players for the Texas Seminoles youth football team live in the Judson school district just outside of San Antonio, but the group included students from various districts in the San Antonio area.

More:LBJ football team rolls as RB Sedrick Alexander chases history

San Marcos is an open enrollment school district that allows for transfer students, but transferring for athletic purposes violates UIL regulations.  

Despite the voiding of the postseason ban, Walsh and his staff didn’t go unscathed. At Monday's meeting, which lasted more than two hours, the UIL’s state executive committee upheld the public reprimand for Walsh and school district employee Earl Anderson and placed Walsh and the program on a three-year probation. While state committee members overturned the district committee’s postseason ban, they did say the state committee could revisit a possible playoff ban after eligibility hearings on the youth football players who do not live in the San Marcos school district but enrolled in San Marcos High School in the summer. UIL officials did not give a timeline for those hearings.

“The preponderance of evidence tells me something happened,” said Charles Breithaupt, the UIL’s executive director, who joined UIL director of athletics Susan Elza and UIL deputy director Jamey Harrison as well as state executive committee members at the hearing.

That concern was shared by committee members, who criticized the San Marcos program for not thoroughly vetting the incoming students as well as for allowing non-staff members such as Anderson to have too much access to the football program.

Anderson, a star defensive lineman for San Marcos two decades ago, has children who compete in the athletic program for San Marcos and has long been a fixture at various athletic events in San Marcos. He described himself at the hearing as nothing more than an involved father who has no official ties to the San Marcos coaching staff or the Texas Seminoles youth football program.

But the state committee members were also concerned about punishing current San Marcos varsity players for alleged violations by underclassmen who do not compete on the varsity. That concern proved that the system to appeal district committee decisions worked, Walsh said.

“I’m appreciative of the process that the UIL has in place,” he said. “The burden of proof is on us, and I think they let us do that in a really fair setting.”

Walsh said focusing on football will be a relief after the past month, even though UIL officials still plan to hold eligibility hearings for the 11 new San Marcos students who played for the Texas Seminoles.

“I think our coaches and kids do a great job of creating that family atmosphere in our program, and we haven’t let the outside noise bother us one bit,” Walsh said. “Hopefully a little bit of positive noise we’ll let inside our brains and get a little boost.”

San Marcos High football again eligible for playoffs after UIL hearing (statesman.com)

On 10/1/2022 at 8:56 AM, Helobious said:

It’s a bird. It’s a plane.  Where the fuck is @Katfid54

6 hours ago, torre said:

Statesman article.    Says State UIL can revisit after further investigation.    Confusing ?

ROUND ROCK — After more than a month of fighting for his team’s right to participate in the playoffs, San Marcos football coach and athletic director John Walsh had one immediate reaction when the UIL’s state executive committee allowed his team to compete in the 2022 postseason.

“We have Samuel Clemens Friday night, so I get to go back to the school and coach for a playoff spot,” he said, referring to the Rattlers’ District 27-6A opener against Schertz Clemens this week in San Marcos. Of the playoff ban, he said, “It would have been unfair to punish those kids that had nothing to do with anything that was put out there.”

What was “put out there” — a ruling by District 27-6A’s executive committee in August — included a two-year playoff ban for the San Marcos football program as well as a public reprimand for Walsh for recruiting violations. The district committee ruled by unanimous vote that Walsh’s program had recruited a group of youth football players from the San Antonio area to enroll at San Marcos High School as freshmen for this school year and join the school’s football program.

The majority of those players for the Texas Seminoles youth football team live in the Judson school district just outside of San Antonio, but the group included students from various districts in the San Antonio area.

More:LBJ football team rolls as RB Sedrick Alexander chases history

San Marcos is an open enrollment school district that allows for transfer students, but transferring for athletic purposes violates UIL regulations.  

Despite the voiding of the postseason ban, Walsh and his staff didn’t go unscathed. At Monday's meeting, which lasted more than two hours, the UIL’s state executive committee upheld the public reprimand for Walsh and school district employee Earl Anderson and placed Walsh and the program on a three-year probation. While state committee members overturned the district committee’s postseason ban, they did say the state committee could revisit a possible playoff ban after eligibility hearings on the youth football players who do not live in the San Marcos school district but enrolled in San Marcos High School in the summer. UIL officials did not give a timeline for those hearings.

“The preponderance of evidence tells me something happened,” said Charles Breithaupt, the UIL’s executive director, who joined UIL director of athletics Susan Elza and UIL deputy director Jamey Harrison as well as state executive committee members at the hearing.

That concern was shared by committee members, who criticized the San Marcos program for not thoroughly vetting the incoming students as well as for allowing non-staff members such as Anderson to have too much access to the football program.

Anderson, a star defensive lineman for San Marcos two decades ago, has children who compete in the athletic program for San Marcos and has long been a fixture at various athletic events in San Marcos. He described himself at the hearing as nothing more than an involved father who has no official ties to the San Marcos coaching staff or the Texas Seminoles youth football program.

But the state committee members were also concerned about punishing current San Marcos varsity players for alleged violations by underclassmen who do not compete on the varsity. That concern proved that the system to appeal district committee decisions worked, Walsh said.

“I’m appreciative of the process that the UIL has in place,” he said. “The burden of proof is on us, and I think they let us do that in a really fair setting.”

Walsh said focusing on football will be a relief after the past month, even though UIL officials still plan to hold eligibility hearings for the 11 new San Marcos students who played for the Texas Seminoles.

“I think our coaches and kids do a great job of creating that family atmosphere in our program, and we haven’t let the outside noise bother us one bit,” Walsh said. “Hopefully a little bit of positive noise we’ll let inside our brains and get a little boost.”

San Marcos High football again eligible for playoffs after UIL hearing (statesman.com)

I wonder if this is why San Antonio Cornerstone sucks now after a good three year run.   Their recruiting pipeline from got diverted to San Marcos.   But why San Marcos? Seriously WTF?

• Hook 'Em 1

Indigenous leaders are now calling on Texas schools to forfeit games in protest against the Port Neches-Groves High School mascot.

The Coalition Against Native Mascots Texas on Wednesday announced formal letters were sent by the South Texas Chapter Indigenous Peoples Movement to each of the schools scheduled to play the high school this football season.

The coalition said the invite asks the schools to stand in solidarity with Indigenous people as part of its “Forfeit Against Racism” campaign.  It described Port Neches-Groves' "Indian" mascot as “racist” and claimed it perpetuates “harmful negative stereotypes.”

The coalition claims the district is “steadfastly refusing to change and allowing its community to issue violent threats.”

“There is not a world where PN-G can keep their mascot as an Indian and be respectful,” South Texas Chapter of Indigenous Peoples Movement member Stephanie Silvas told The Enterprise. “It is racist. There is no way around it. It is racist. 100%. And we will not stand for racist mascots under any circumstance.”

None of the school districts notified were able to confirm that they have received the invitation by press time.

The list of schools included Beaumont United High School, West Orange Stark High School, Marshal High School, Texas City High School, Willowridge High School, Dayton High School, Santa Fe High School, Nederland High School and Galena Park High School.

West Orange Stark Mustang officials declined to comment and said they were not aware of the invite to forfeit the game. Public information representatives from at least four of the other involved school districts said they were also unaware of the invitation.

The Beaumont Independent School District said it has not received and is not aware of the invite. The Beaumont United High School Timberwolves played its scheduled football against Port Neches-Groves' football team last week.

Travis Young with the Dayton Independent School District did provide a statement regarding the Dayton High School Broncos. But the sentiment was similar to the other districts.

RELATED: Community protests tribal-themed mascot

“Dayton ISD has not received any information about forfeiting a game against Port Neches-Groves,” Young said. “The Dayton Broncos intend to play all scheduled games for the 2022 football school year.”

Silvas told The Enterprise that the invites were sent by email to addresses listed for coaches and school officials listed on school websites, including after some schools declined to provide contact information.

Silvas believes that Port Neches-Groves' “culturally-appropriated” traditions are perpetuating the genocide and racism that Indigenous people continue to endure.

To end this, she said everyone needs to demand change. Silence and inaction from districts that appear to play the district nearly every season would be continuing to condone hate and racism, Silvas said.

“Football is the center of Texas schools, and I would just hope that they would use their platforms instead of just standing by and letting things like this happen,” Silvas said.

If they choose to participate, Silvas said the districts will be sending a statement on their morals.

1200x0.jpg

• Haha 1

Another pretty light week on the schedule for interesting games:

AUSTIN

Manor @ Round Rock  Manor got bombed last week by Vandy, but that's the only loss on these two teams' resumes.  RR's closest game was a 16-point win over Stony Point last week.  Manor has a RB committed to U$C, but RR's strength is their D, and I think that'll make the difference.

NB Canyon @ Hays  Mike Adams' son Duece is throwing for over 300 ypg for Canyon, a lot of that to his brother, but Hays has a big-time RB to counter.  Hays has scored 243 in 5 games. This could easily be a 63-56 type game and will definitely be the best game to see in the Austin area.

DFW

Keller @ SLC  Both of these teams are 5-0.  That's normal for SLC, not-so-much for Keller, which went 6-5 last season.  One thing SLC is showing that they haven't shown in the past is an outstanding D, which has allowed only 27 points all season.  The Dragons should win this one easily.

Lake Dallas @ Argyle  Another matchup of undefeated teams that's a mismatch.  Argyle is ranked #1 in their first 5A season and has beaten several ranked teams (Melissa, Lovejoy, and Grapevine).  LD does have a stud QB who has 24 TDs vs. 1 pick, but Argyle is just a machine.

Gunter @ Bells  This is #2 @ #4 in 3AD2.  Bells' only loss was by 4 to undefeated 3AD1 Whitesboro.  But Gunter is a whole different animal who, like SLC, is riding a surprisingly dominant D that has allowed only 29 points all season.

SOUTH TEXAS

Sharyland Pioneer @ Mission Vets  Unfortunately, neither Landry Gilpin nor Eddie Lee Marberger will be taking the field, but these two 3-2 teams look like the best game in the 956 area code.  Both teams do have good junior QB's again, but Pioneer QB Julian Valdez has more experience, having started as a soph.  MVM has played a much tougher schedule (losses to 6A Harlingen and San Benito), so let's give them the edge.

Columbus @ Hallettsville  Columbus has been pretty good for three years now, going 32-9, but hasn't gotten over the hump to great yet.  Hallettsville has been part of the problem, beating the Cardinals twice in 2020 on their way to a Jerryworld appearance.  Columbus won this game 14-13 last season, and they're better this year,  having outscored 6 opponents 303-49.  In fact, they look a lot like the team that eliminated them last year -- Lorena.  I'm not ready to say that Columbus wins state like 2021 Lorena, but I think this is the great team they've been waiting for, and I think they beat the Brahmas Friday.

EAST TEXAS

Mount Vernon @ Winnsboro  This is #2 @ #8 in 3AD1.  Two 6-0 teams that can really light up the scoreboard -- both are averaging over 50 ppg.  I'd say MV has to be the favorite here, but Winnsboro has really looked good this season and looks like they're getting even better.  Don't be surprised if they pull off the upset at home.  

Gilmer @ Texarkana PG  #2 @ #3 in 4AD1  PG's only loss was to a Louisiana school.  Gilmer has only played 4 games, but all 4 were wins over good programs (Paris, Chapell Hill, Kilgore, and Lindale).  Gilmer has won 3 in a row in this rivalry, including both games last season.  Gilmer hasn't played since 9/16, so who knows how that will affect them, but I'd expect this one to be close either way.

Kilgore @ Lindale  Two 4-2 teams here in about as evenly-matched a game as you'll find.  Kilgore won this game last season 65-58.  I wouldn't expect that many points, but that margin of victory should be similar, this time in Lindale's favor.

SAN ANTONIO

New Braunfels @ Steele  Steele has established themselves as the top of the class in a down year in SA football.  NB has close losses to Weiss and NB Canyon, but has that Denton Ryan shocker on their resume.  Upsetting the Knights would be an even bigger shocker, though.  

WEST TEXAS

Tolar @ Coleman  This is #6 @ #9 in 2AD1.  This is also the Rattlers @ Bluecats in the best mascot matchup of the week.  Coleman's only loss was to much bigger Llano; other than that game, they're 221-30 over 5 games. Tolar has rolled through 5 games undefeated to the tune of 237-57, so they're legit, too.  Coin flip for winner.

Muleshoe @ Bushland The Mules lost their season opener to Littlefield, but have been excellent since, including a tight win over a tough Brownfield team least week.  Bushland, OTOH, has been whipping 4A teams; this is really looking like a special season for the Falcons.  

Permian-Odessa  Permian just seems to figure out a way this season.  Odessa has blowout losses to Keller and Amarillo, but rebounded nicely last week with a convincing win over Schertz Clemens.  Permian by a bunch in front of a big crowd.  

CENTRAL TEXAS

Bremond @ Chilton  This is #8 @ #5 in 2AD2.  Bremond's lowest point total is 46; they hung 54 on Windthorst last week.  That's enough for me.

Marlin @ Crawford  Rematch of regional finals last season.  Marlin lost its 1st 3 games this season, but has won the last two 102-7.  Crawford always has a tough D, and this season they've allowed an absurd 13 total points over 5 games.  They'll get revenge.

HOUSTON

Paetow-Katy  Paetow has been pretty underwhelming coming off a 5A title and the recruitment move-in of the top recruit in the state.  They have losses to Jordan and Cy Ranch. Katy continues to be Katy; they beat Jordan 70-21 last week, so you'd be stupid to think Paetow has much of a chance here.  

Brookshire Royal @ Bellville  Combined 11-0 record.  Bellville's best player in 2021 is now starring at RB for Baylor, but the Brahmas haven't missed a beat: 261-55 in 6 wins.  3 of Royal's wins are by one score; they have been one of the worst 4A programs in the state for a decade, so that's fine, but Bellville big in this one.  

COASTAL BEND

Brownsville Porter @ G-P  Saturday.  This is actually a district game, as Porter and E-E got put in a Corpus district.  Porter has a better record, but took their first lost last week, 43-21 to something called Roma.  G-P is showing some signs of returning to the dominance they enjoyed back in the day.  They're not there yet, but they are good enough to win this one easily.

Edited by Beau Vine
fuck you, merge.
  • Hook 'Em 2

This controversy is apparently not new:

PORT NECHES, Texas -- A performance by the Port Neches-Groves High School drill team at Walt Disney World last week is making headlines and becoming the talk of social media.

In a video posted on Twitter with more than 1.6 million views as of Wednesday, the dancers, who are known as the "Indianettes," could be seen wearing costumes modeled after Native American dress and chanting racist phrases at Magic Kingdom during Spring Break. Principal Chief Chuck Hoskin Jr. of Cherokee Nation said the high school also calls its football stadium, the "Reservation."

"I can tell you no Chief of the Cherokee Nation, whether it's me or whether it dates back to Chief Swimmer who served in the late 70s to the early 80s would condone the kind of imagery or depiction of Native peoples that we see PNG not only do, but stubbornly refuse to even consider that those displays are offensive," he said. "They're not authentic. They have no connection to the Cherokee people, in fact, in many ways make a mockery of our wonderful and beautiful traditions."

Although the dancers were not seen in the Twitter video with them, she and Chief Hoskin talked about how the drill team have been seen donning headdresses in other photos and videos. They explained that typically only those in leadership or highly respected roles are allowed to wear them.

"For this to continue to this present day ... unbelievable and then there was anger," said Nita Battise. "It's as if we don't exist as a tribal sovereign nation or we don't exist as a thriving community that participates in everyday life. It's as if we never existed."

"The depictions they (the Indianettes) have in their photos show ornate headdresses that are actually more akin to some Plains Indian tribes. So much of that is not even rooted in Cherokee tradition," said Chief Hoskin. "I think it goes to show that there's a lot of misinformation out there and a lack of understanding in the country about Native traditions. We're not a monolith. Each tribe is different."

People living in the area who support using the "Indians" as the school's mascot told ABC13 it's meant to be a respectful tribute and a way to honor Native American communities.

Since the fallout, Disney released a statement that says, "The live performance in our park did not reflect our core values, and we regret it took place. It was not consistent with the audition tape the school provided and we have immediately put measures in place, so this is not repeated." Disney is also the parent company of ABC13.

People living in the area who support using the "Indians" as the school's mascot told ABC13 it's meant to be a respectful tribute and a way to honor Native American communities. One Port Neches resident and high school alum, who declined to provide his name, said their school spirit is a way to show pride for the area's Indigenous history and culture.

"Cancel culture got started. Cancel culture needs to be canceled. Quit trying to cancel everybody for something that you don't think is right. Understand everything before you try to cancel anyone out," he said.

The town is divided over the controversy. Yonausdi, who asked to be identified only by his first name, is an alum of PNG High with Cherokee heritage. He said he hopes district officials will take note of other schools and athletic teams across the country who have retired their Native American mascots. He and dozens of other community members took part in a peaceful protest outside of PNGISD's board meeting Monday evening.

"When it comes down to it, it dehumanizes Indigenous people," he said. "They say they're all about honoring Indigenous people. In order to honor Indigenous people, you need to not speak over them. The Indigenous community is speaking and that's where you need to listen."

Chief Hoskin tells ABC13 they've sent multiple letters to PNGISD over the last few years, urging the high school to change its Native American mascot. But he claims district officials refused. He also said the tribe revoked an Ambassador of Goodwill certificate issued to the school in 1979.

"When the Chief of Cherokee Nation reaches out in 2022 and says that and is met with really, just a dismissive attitude and then we see what happened at Disney, I think it sends a message that they're not concerned about what Cherokee Nation thinks," he said. "I think they are clinging to their traditions, which are traditions that frankly, don't have any roots in actual culture."

He explained the use of Native American mascots in schools perpetuate inaccurate stereotypes about Indigenous people, such as the idea of savagery.

"Generations of young Indigenous people were forced through boarding schools through federal Indian policies, even state policies that suppressed expressions of their culture. They lost their identity in large measure and our identity means so much," said Chief Hoskin. "To see our identity just completely mischaracterized, made almost cartoonish and buffoonish, it does something to young Natives."

Nearly all of the Port Neches-Groves High School's social media accounts have been either deleted or made private and district officials have not disclosed why. They sent ABC13 a generic statement that writes, "We are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in our school district." But they declined to answer our follow-up questions about whether they would consider a mascot change.

"I want PNG High School's students to know that I don't have any ill will against them. But I want officials to know you can't honor tribes by making us mascots or even naming your team after us," said Chief Hoskin. "But it could be in deepening students' understanding of Native culture and there's lots of ways to do that. Imagine if Cherokee historians or cultural experts were invited to a school to talk about real Cherokee culture and identity. Students would be so much better off. They would lead fuller lives."

Battise, who is part of the executive committee for the National Congress of American Indians, said the organization which represents a unified voice of all 574 tribal nations is working to eradicate Native American-themed mascots "once and for all."

"We must start the process to educate our students, because this is something that should no longer be acceptable," said Battise. "This is an opportunity to engage in a dialogue, a much-needed overdue dialogue."

3 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

So, dumb gringo question for you -- is Roma part of the RGV?  

Technically, what is the western border of the RGV?

It is. RGV is generally accepted to end westward when Starr County does. It definitely doesn’t include Zapata or Laredo, I don’t give a shit what their area code is. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

So, dumb gringo question for you -- is Roma part of the RGV?  

Technically, what is the western border of the RGV?

Former RGV Gringo will answer you in the affirmative.   Most recognize the four counties of Starr, Willacy,, Hidalgo, and Cameron as the RGV.   Real Dumb Gringos from places like Aledo  include Laredo and sometimes El Paso and Corpus  as " The Valley."

• Hook 'Em 2