2022 Texas High School Football

texifornia

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

Secondary looks to be an issue too. 

7-7 with 10:09 to go in 1st. Lol. 

Yes, awkward. Turned into the Jaden Greathouse and Thomas J Henry commercials show. Westlake 37-7 at half. I hope Thomas J Henry's new wife is cute and that his ex got a great settlement. 

5 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Harlingen up on Mercedes 55-7… at halftime. We still don’t have a QB that can pass at all but when you just bulldoze people in the run game I guess you don’t need one. Trevino for Mercedes has a long TD catch & run but otherwise looks and plays like he’s bored. 

LT trails Steele 14-7 in first half. Can’t believe LT fans thought that Edmundson kid sucked. He was easily a top 15 QB in the state, they need him bad.

Edmundson has great talent and might turn out to be a strong college QB, but is inconsistent. Threw bad pick-6s last season vs Westlake and North Shore. 

Some stinkers tonight.

Final: Lancaster 21 SOC 3

SOC didn’t look bad in a loss last week, but they did this week. Lancaster is another bigger school for SOC, but I thought this one would be more competitive. Will be interesting to see if Lancaster can make some noise in the playoffs this year in 5AD1. SOC plays DeSoto next week so they’re looking at 0-3.

Final: Arlington Martin 44 Cedar Hill 6

Martin looked great, but Cedar Hill is not good. This looks like a pre-McGuire CH team. They play Southlake next week so they’re also looking at 0-3. 

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Allen 35 Houston King 0, H

Final was 49-14. Man, I thought this would be a better game. Can never pay too much attention to week 1 results I guess.

• Hook 'Em 2

West Texas

Brock @ Hirschi  Tonight...3A vs 4A, as Brock continues their brutal traveling road show against 4A competition (Pleasant Grove last week, Wimberley next)  Hirschi has speed like the Eagles have never seen and will never see again.

Classic...Brock scored in the final minute and chose to kick for 1, but lost in OT 37-30.  

Cisco @ Wall  Two traditional powers, though Wall seems to have slipped in the last couple of years

Wall led 14-12 at half, lost 18-14.

Lubbock Roosevelt @ Hawley  Fun game here, pitting two defending R1 champs (LR in 3AD2 and Hawley in 2AD1).  Both came out of nowhere last season...  LRHS lost their opener 15-12 to usually mediocre River Road, while Hawley pasted Jim Ned, so Hawley may have more staying power.

Hawley is legit, 33-0.

Midland Lee Legacy @ Tascosa  So they're not "Lee" any more, but they are still the "Rebels" and that's OK?  They really smacked Tascosa's rival Amarillo HS last week, and though Tascosa is better than AHS, they're also very one-dimensional, so I'll take Ced's alma mater.

Tascosa might be the best team out west, 48-27.

Wanna see something frightening?

Spoiler

Houston

FB Marshall @ Crosby  Tonight... Coming off two consecutive state championship appearances, Crosby *REALLY* shit the bed last week against King, losing 63-7 in a stunner.  Who knows what we'll get this week...

We got the good Crosby, as the Cougars stunned the Buffs 27-21 in OT.

Hightower @ Westfield  Tonight... The Mustangs are really good every year, while Hightower is really good off and on...a double-digit win over a good Dawson team suggests this might be an on year for the Hurricanes.

Nope, Westfield 51-29

Atascocita @ Katy  Game of the week in the entire state here.  The Eagles seem to always have the talent to challenge for state, but can never get out of Region 3, usually because of Katy, whom they've never beaten.  They'll likely meet again in November.

Lived up to its billing... Teams traded TDs all game until Seth Davis busted a 60ish yarder late in the 4th and the Katy D got a stop on the ensuing possession.  35-28 Tigers

East Texas

Not that much exciting in the east, other than the region's best rivalry...

Marshall @ Longview   The Mavs have been up and down in recent years, while the Lobos have claimed the title of best program in ET.  Longview won 14-0 last season and has more talent this year.

31-3 Lobos

Central

Marlin @ Mart  Tonight... This game was moved to Mart and to tonight supposedly because of a shortage of officials.  Would be more interesting if they could move Derion Gullette back to Marlin and fix his knee, but they can't, so Mart gonna roll.

41-6 Mart

DFW

Houston C.E. King @ Allen  Very interesting DFW-Houston matchup... I'd normally take Allen without thinking, but King had maybe the best performance in the state last week (63-7 over Crosby), while Allen got pantsed by a Cali school.  

Allen led 35-0 at half and coasted to 49-14.

Guyer @ Aledo  Aledo lost a shocker to 3-time defending TAPPS state champ, but that's still a Texas private school that Aledo should not be losing to, as Aledo probably out-recruits them... Guyer smacked a good Heath team 47-14 and looks to be the class of Denton, as if Denton had any class.  It would be weird to see Aledo at 0-2, but I think that'll happen.

Guyer 44-14 and it wasn't that close.  I don't know when Aledo has ever started 0-2, but this is their most losses in a season since 2015.

SOC @ Lancaster  SOC impressed me about as much as possible in a loss last week.  Lancaster is a program capable of matching them athletically.

Big letdown for the Golden Bears -- 21-3 Lancaster.  The Tigers get Guyer next week.

Argyle @ Lovejoy   This looks like a *REALLY* good one.  Argyle showed 5A doesn't matter as they spanked fellow 5A-moveup Melissa... Lovejoy destroyed College Station, a state finalist in 5A last season.  I'll take the Leopards.

This game was 42-42 at the half.  Argyle D stopped LJ inside the 5 on the last play of the game to win 56-49.

Arlington Martin @ Cedar Hill   Is CH down this year?  This will provide a good answer, as Martin controlled Lake Travis last week.

Yes CH is down, 44-6 Martin

Orlando Jones @ Duncanville and St. Francis (Baltimore) @ Desoto  Both game Saturday.  SF plays a fully national schedule.  Jones went 12-3 and lost in the 4th round of the Florida playoffs last season.

Coastal Bend

El Campo @ CC Miller   El Campo really got destroyed worse than the score indicated last week, getting outgained 580-150.  I know it's only game 2, but it might be make-or-break time for the Ricebirds.

Miller 49-29.  Can Rueben transfer to IMG now?

Navarro @ Cuero  These two have been in the same district recently as region 4 powers.  Navarro would frequently win in the regular season, and other than one year, lose to Cuero in the playoffs.  That's the way last season went.  Navarro got shockingly destroyed by Navasota last week, while Cuero drilled a very good El Campo team.  Gobs will win this one easily.

The Gobblers do not miss Jack Welch, 46-13.  This has to be Navarro's worst regular season loss in at least a decade.

San Antonio

Brandeis @ Brennan  Brennan lost 35-34 to Steele last week, but I still think they'll be the SA team whose season will last the longest.

This game is Saturday.

Westlake @ Judson  Would have been a much better game 10 years ago, as Judson has slipped badly and Westlake continues to be the plucky little overachievers who true football fans have all grown to respect and love.  Westlake needs to figure out QB issues/injuries, but they have a long time to do that before really being challenged.

Westlake ran out to 37-7 at half and cruised 47-14.  Greathouse with an electric punt return TD.

Lake Travis @ Steele  Cavs again looked pretty mediocre last week; losing the QB was a big problem, and who knows if he's healthy this week...regardless, LT's biggest issue is their D.  They're not very good.  Don't be surprised if Steele wins this.

Steele led 28-14 in the half and needed an INT in the end zone at the end of the game to hold off the Cavs, 35-28.

Austin

Liberty Hill @ Hutto  You may remember the 52-51 score with 1400 total yards from a couple of years ago.  Expect the same style of game, with the offenses dialed down a bit.   A little bit.

Maybe not a little bit.  56-49 Hippos...they get Steele next week.

Vandegrift @ Cedar Park  Two games is too early to panic, but one of these teams will be very worried with an 0-2 start.  VG lost to Dripping on a last-second FG, while the T-wolves were completely outclassed by Cedar Ridge.  I'll take the Vipers.

Time to panic CP, 45-0.  Wow.

SA Wagner @ Dripping  Dripping had a great 6A debut last week, and now take on another good program.  The TBirds lost to Liberty Hill last week and now take on a team that will really throw the ball, so advantage to the Drips.

Dripping lives 6A, 37-7.

RGV

Mission Vets @ McAllen Memorial  Very contrasting styles from two teams looking to climb the always-prestigious Helobious Poll.  Vets, coached by Valley legend Landry Gilpin's dad, can usually throw the ball all over.  MM will try to run the ball with the wonderfully-named Max Alaniz-Choi, who had over 200 yards last week against a mediocre Brownsville (pardon the redundancy) team.  Bet the house on Vets.  

Good one!  27-20 Vets.  They go to Harlingen next week.

• Hook 'Em 7

Calallen 41.  Mexico City something in Spanish I can’t type club football team 6

Kids from Mexico played hard and with class.      First time for many of them to the states.

12 minutes ago, Fudbelty said:

Guyer 44 Aledo 14 Final

When was the last time Aledo started 0-2?   And getting their asses whooped in one of them?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

Harlingen up on Mercedes 55-7… at halftime. We still don’t have a QB that can pass at all but when you just bulldoze people in the run game I guess you don’t need one. Trevino for Mercedes has a long TD catch & run but otherwise looks and plays like he’s bored. 

LT trails Steele 14-7 in first half. Can’t believe LT fans thought that Edmundson kid sucked. He was easily a top 15 QB in the state, they need him bad.

Wtf is wrong with LT?    Bally sports show trying to make excuses for them right now.  

I’m home from officiating a game just West of SA. Two teams matched up, with the Visitor coming from a larger classification. The visitors won the game by almost a double margin of victory, but I’ll tell you both sides of the field were great!

Having opponents pick each other up after a tackle was a great sight to see! As an Umpire I’m in the middle of the action, especially after the play. Both sides kids were great and it made my “job” a little easier.

Great crowd with it being the Host’s first home game. Best of luck to both teams and their support personnel, as the season progresses.
2022 is going to be great season! Go out and support your local communities!

Hook’em!

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, msucolt45 said:

I’m home from officiating a game just West of SA. Two teams matched up, with the Visitor coming from a larger classification. The visitors won the game by almost a double margin of victory, but I’ll tell you both sides of the field were great!

Having opponents pick each other up after a tackle was a great sight to see! As an Umpire I’m in the middle of the action, especially after the play. Both sides kids were great and it made my “job” a little easier.

Great crowd with it being the Host’s first home game. Best of luck to both teams and their support personnel, as the season progresses.
2022 is going to be great season! Go out and support your local communities!

Hook’em!

Thanks for being out there and making FNL happen!! 

• Hook 'Em 3

I was at the DIckinson vs Ridge Pt game last night.  Dickinson was projected to finish 1st in the district, not confident on that at all.  Vernon Glover (TCU commit) was getting a lot of hype coming into the season, but he can't cover.  His best move was Ridge Pt WRs dropping passes that hit their chests.

Edited by Thiefery

Longview ended up beating Marshall 48-11. The Lobos played poorly with no intensity and sloppy penalties in the 2nd half but looked good with the 1st team in the first half. Work to be done but this offense has a chance to be prolific and nearly impossible to stop.  

Marshall looked to be much better than last year. Might make some noise on D2. 

• Hook 'Em 2

This Westlake Chaps win over Judson recap is brought to you to the law firm of Thomas J Henry. 

Even more than the game result, it makes us proud that Thomas J Henry Law is the official sponsor of all Westlake Chaps game broadcasts. With every commercial break, time-out, halftime performance and even game action featuring a banner, phone number or email address for Thomas J Henry Law, it's great to know that such an important company and man are there to support our team's hard-working efforts.

With a no-fee promise, over 200 lawyers available 24 hours a day, and help with every kind of injury cases including accidents involving commercial vehicles, you can be assured that just as the Chaps will give it all on the field, the law firm of Thomas J Henry will give it all for your case. This is a great comfort to our community and team, as our players can go full-speed knowing their DWI, driving without-a-license, underage drinking, minor-in-possession, arrest for shooting guns in residential neighborhoods, destroying private and public property convictions and more will be quietly and completely stricken from their record.

For the families, fathers can rest assured that the little matter of secreting away their (former) business partner's assets can be settled in a way that will be mostly acceptable to both parties. And more importantly, just because Daddy has fallen for the cute little thing in the office, Mommy can't drain him of all the resources he will need to keep his new, 23-year girlfriend happy, which will probably involve some expensive travel.

I can't recall much about the game itself, as most of the play was covered by the giant Thomas J. Henry banner featuring the banner below, an 800 number, and the words, "CALL NOW. Later, they simply cut the live-feed and replaced it with interviews with satisfied customers and their settlement amounts. I believe Westlake won, as it looked like they were interviewing the coach (or someone wearing blue and red) after the game and he may have been smiling. As far as memorable stats, how about this one: Thomas J Henry Law has won MILLIONS in settlements just this year, which no-doubt was huge help for his own divorce settlement and for the insanely expensive wedding he threw for his daughter and her music-industry loser husband.

In parting, thank you, Thomas J Henry Law. Keep fighting the good fight we'll keep fighting on the gridiron.

Go Chaps! 

Thomas-J-Henry.jpg   

• Like 3

I have two varsity games on my schedule to officiate this week in SA. The first is Thursday, followed by a Friday night tilt. It’s still hot out there gentlemen, with them moving KOs starting at 7, instead of the usual 7:30. We must all, including officials, adhere to the Tom Herman “pee chart” and hydrate every day!

That was one area that TH was correct - IMO.

Hook’em!

• Hook 'Em 4

Big games of the week -- a shocker in that there really aren't very many of these in DFW for a change...

DFW

Lancaster @ Guyer  The Tigers snapped SOC's 16-game winning streak last week and head into Denton for an even bigger test.  The Wildcats have looked unbeatable, posting 30+ point wins over two good teams, Heath and Aledo, holding each to 14 points.  Lancaster has the speed to score more than that, but I don't see how they win this.

Rockwall @ Prosper  Two 2-0 teams here.  Rockwall has allowed only 35 points in their two, something that is very un-Rockwall-like, as poor defense traditionally kills them in the playoffs. Maybe this year's different?

Allen @ Arlington Martin   Every year, Martin seems to roll over just about everyone, then shit the bed against a traditional north Texas power.  They already have two good resume wins, over Lake Travis and Cedar Hill, though both seem to be down this season.  Allen emphatically rejected rumors of their downness last week, blitzing a very good Houston King team.  Would be hard to bet against the Eagles after that, especially given Martin's history.

West Texas

Permian @ Tascosa  Tascosa once again challenges a 6A team...If they win this, they have a good claim to being the best team in WT, regardless of classification.  Fun contrasting offensive matchup, too, as Tascosa will run and run some more, while Permian has gone wide open.

Cisco @ Breckenridge  The Lobos survived a struggle with Wall last week, and now step up to face the 3AD1 Buckaroos, who spanked a very good Childress team last week.

Idalou @ Holliday  Four impressive wins combined for these teams -- Idalou has handled larger Sweetwater and rival New Deal, while Holliday has dominated larger Iowa Park and Jim Ned.  Very interesting game here.

East Texas

Longview @ Tyler Legacy (nee Lee)  Longview looks like they'll be the beast of the East again.  They punked longtime rival Marshall 48-11 last week and get another rival this week.  

Timpson @ Daingerfield  After running into Shiner in the state semis two years in a row, this might be Timpson's year... They've scored 105 in 2 games.  They'll be playing up against the 3A Tigers, so we'll get to see how good they really are.

Central

Malakoff-Salado @ Hewitt  Salado has outscored two bigger class teams 91-45, while Malakoff lost a heartbreaker to Grandview last week. I think Malakoff turns it around in a minor upset.

College Station @ Temple  State finalists last season, the Cougs got embarrassed in week 1.  They've also lost their all-state RB for the season, so it's going to be a rough season for them.  Temple looks to have a very good defense so far.  Wildcats by a bunch.

Brock-Wimberley @ Waco  No idea why Brock decided to open the season with three of the best 4A programs in the state.  Wimberley's D pitched a shutout last week, and if they're going to be good, that's how they'll do it, as they don't have much of a passing game thanks to their QB transferring unexpectedly.

Waco Connolly @ Cameron Yoe  Connolly has had a very good program recently, but they're hard to notice because they have been sharing a district with powerhouses like LaVega and China Spring.  They beat LaVega 35-34 last week, but now run into a Yoe team that has already scored 133 points.

Austin

Steele @ Hutto  The Hippos won a wild one 56-49 over LH last week.  Steele looks like the class of SA with wins over Brennan and LT.

SA

New Braunfels @ Canyon   This isn't much of a rivalry, mostly because Canyon is usually horrible, but both teams are 2-0 for probably the first time ever, so there should be a big crowd at the red field.

Poth @ Shiner  Poth is another very good program that doesn't get noticed, usually because they run into Refugio in the early rounds of the playoffs.  Shiner looks to be down this season, so this is about a good a shot as the Pirates will get at them.

Houston

Katy-Tompkins  Saturday game... Tompkins has looked primed to usurp the Tigers, but can only point to a 2020 win in the rivalry.  The Falcons went down 56-21 last season; expect something similar.

Westfield @ North Shore  Game of the week in the state.  People forget that Westfield handed NS their only loss last season.  The Spring Mustangs have won twice by 114-32, but the GP Mustangs look like a rolling ball of knives, again.  

Coastal Bend

Calallen @ Flour Bluff  Calallen should win this, but FB has won 23 games over the last two seasons, so they know what they're doing.

Refugio @ Edna  Refugio is only 2A, but most people would normally expect them to handle the 3A Cowboys.  Maybe not this season, as Refugio has looked very mortal, and Edna has shown a solid D.

RGV

Mission Vets @ Harlingen  Vets has started off with two very good wins, but they haven't faced anything like 6A Harlingen, who posted 76 points last week. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Just now, TreatyOak said:

Just as the Chaps are fighting hard to shut down the opponent, Thomas J Henry Law is working hard to make your little legal indiscretion disappear.  Chaps up 42-0 in 2nd quarter.   

Yeah... I didn't provide the Westlake score, in the same way that I love to eat foie gras but don't want to watch the process of making it.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, cafe society said:

SA Wagner 20-16 over the San Marcos Recruitin' Rattlers 2nd quarter. 
PSJA North 20-7 over Laredo United South almost halftime. 
Edinburg Vela 24-7 over Weslaco East, also almost the half. 

Sounds like Vela may have found themselves a QB in sophomore Myles Lopez. I hear he’s  a legit 6’2 or 6’3 as well, which makes him a giant by RGV standards. That team is still the best shot the valley has at the semis, I remain unconvinced at PSJAN’s offense.

SA Randolph up on SA YMLA 31-0 in the 2nd. One of YMLA’s coaches and apparently a good chunk of their players left for SA Sam Houston in the off-season. RIP YMLA football, 2020-2021.

• Hook 'Em 1

Akins may be the worst high school football team I have ever seen.

They had 29 total players. 13 people in the student section and around 100 total in the stands. 

Got their first first down in the second quarter. Up until that point their best drive was -1 yard.

Westlake had 2 punt returns for touchdowns and averaged about 3 plays per drive in the first half. They started running clock near the end of the second quarter. 

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, blacklab said:

They had 29 total players. 13 people in the student section and around 100 total in the stands. 

That’s pretty heartbreaking for the players, and that participation is nuts for a 6A school. I’m no Austinite but is that not in a growing area? I know it’s right behind south park meadows. Seems like that school should be booming.

57 minutes ago, blacklab said:

Got their first first down in the second quarter. Up until that point their best drive was -1 yard.

Westlake had 2 punt returns for touchdowns and averaged about 3 plays per drive in the first half. They started running clock near the end of the second quarter. 

They’ve been that way since they opened. 

They had some solid pitching though back in the day

8 hours ago, blacklab said:

8 hours ago, Helobious said:

That’s pretty heartbreaking for the players, and that participation is nuts for a 6A school. I’m no Austinite but is that not in a growing area? I know it’s right behind south park meadows. Seems like that school should be booming.

7 hours ago, blacklab said:

They have 2700+ kids, you think they could do better. Yes, lots of growth out there in the way of cheap houses.

They do call themselves "Akins Early College High School" but maybe they are going to college for something other than sports.

Wholly shit...

Austin High beat Anderson. Made a 48 yd FG near end of game to secure win. 

On an earlier FG by Austin High the Anderson player got to the kicker so fast he was there before the kicker haf even got to the ball. The Anderson kid ran right past the holder and the ball was kicked behind the Anderson kid. I’ve never seen anything like it. That kid from Anderson could have tackled the holder he was there so fucking early. Nutso. 

• Hook 'Em 2