2022 Texas High School Football

texifornia

1 minute ago, Helobious said:

Judson beats Johnson 46-43 in OT. Hawkins and his 460 total yards not enough.

Judson has athletes out the ass again, but we’ll see if they can put it all together. They move the ball better with Castillo at QB so I bet he starts going forward. RB Stanley is a baller, as is OU commit Evans at WR and Bowens on the DL.

Our Chaps have the misfortune to play them next Friday. Judson is loaded and are coming off a victory over arguably the best team in the state. They will carry this victorious momentum which will ignite into a revengeful fury against the privileged, slow, entitled and overrated Chaps. 

Westlake drags itself into the game, nursing the physical beating they endured in a game which they certainly should have lost, but for some suspiciously questionable referee calls.

Westlake shows some feeble signs of life early, then is buried in an avalanche of righteous athleticism.  

Judson 62 Westlake 4 (yes, 4  - two intentional safeties by Judson) 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, TreatyOak said:

Our Chaps have the misfortune to play them next Friday. Judson is loaded and are coming off a victory over arguably the best team in the state. They will carry this victorious momentum which will ignite into a revengeful fury against the privileged, slow, entitled and overrated Chaps. 

Westlake drags itself into the game, nursing the physical beating they endured in a game which they certainly should have lost, but for some suspiciously questionable referee calls.

Westlake shows some feeble signs of life early, then is buried in an avalanche of righteous athleticism.  

Judson 62 Westlake 4 (yes, 4  - two intentional safeties by Judson) 

Ha. In all seriousness that game will get ugly quick. Judson has a couple athletes that might be better but Westlake has more athletes overall and will have a pretty enormous size advantage on the rockets in the trenches. Definitely not the Judson of old.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Helobious said:

And wow SOC’s backup QB & punter is a white guy. Carter Kopecky.

There's one little pocket of white people just south of downtown. One of my sister's friends in college was as white as wonder bread and I just about spit out my drink when she told me she went to SOC.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Duncanville & SOC are having an uncreative playcall-off right now. The lack of quality QB play is going to hurt them both in the playoffs bigly. 

SOC won’t play another team even close to as good as Duncanville this year in 5AD2 even if they get back to state. They’ll be fine

Will probably cause problems for Duncanville down the line though.

39 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

SOC won’t play another team even close to as good as Duncanville this year in 5AD2 even if they get back to state. They’ll be fine

Will probably cause problems for Duncanville down the line though.

Yeah, against Northshore.  That’s what usually happens.  One year it was SLC, but Quinn graduated.

5 minutes ago, The Deuce said:

Ketch is saying he’s fine

So, when are services?

Final: Duncanville 23 SOC 10.

No Idea how good the Duncanville backup QB is, but it appears they’re going to need him for the foreseeable future. 

SOC actually hung in there longer than I thought they would. Their next two games are against Lancaster and DeSoto, so no breaks for them. After that though, they’re going to roll. For reference, they lost to Duncanville 42-27 last year and then won their next 15 and a state title.

1 hour ago, blacklab said:

There's one little pocket of white people just south of downtown. One of my sister's friends in college was as white as wonder bread and I just about spit out my drink when she told me she went to SOC.

Spitting out your cosmo is considered poor manners. 

Oh, and there are only a handful of non-minorities at SOC. 

Screenshot_20220827-214010.thumb.png.2d2a523aaea25a9c88b5e5e8692f9c8a.png

Steele upsets SA Brennan 35-34 to close out the day at the Alamodome. The 2025 class in SA could be one of the city’s best ever. Ty Hawkins (Johnson QB), Mike Terry (alamo heights QB), Jaden Perez (Brandeis WR), and Chad Warner (Steele QB) all look like stars.  Keven Hernandez (Burbank QB) could be a name to remember too. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 8/26/2022 at 10:34 PM, TreatyOak said:

Final was Westlake 44-14. @MonkeyDoughnut, I was very impressed w Ridge Point. They are big, with fast athletes all over the field. They gave our Chaps all we could handle in the first half. Their defensive line was stout AF. Their offensive left tackle is a monster and they have a burner at WR. (going to Baylor) They look like they are poised for a deep run. I haven't seen a team shut down our interior runs in along time. Good luck. 

A fried of mine's son plays DE for Ridge Point...#52. Looks like he had a decent game 7 tackles (4 solo, 3 last)

In other news Jesuit lost to Fulshear 74-41.  From the little highlights I saw, SJ took a 33-32 lead in the 3rd and somehow ended up giving up another 42 from that point on.

Any insight into wtf happened?

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/27/2022 at 3:50 AM, 956 Worldwide said:

Harlingen High is really the only old Valley “High” that has managed to stay relevant even regionally. 

Can Tony V restore some of the luster to that program? Also, Tony V is a valley coaching fossil. 

On 8/27/2022 at 4:01 AM, 956 Worldwide said:

Looked it up, Tony V has been head coaching as an HC since 1990 except for a short retirement.  

Fave Tony V moment was when he won a district championship at PSJA North in 1997 back when there were just two big school districts in the RGV. After the last district game he told a TV camera” Any team up here is going to beat any team from that other district down there.” 

31-5A proceeded to go 0-3 against 32-5A in bi-district and that shit got played before every highlight on the news.  Pre-Internet viral clip. 

As a Weslaco High alum, I feel like the Panthers have been able to remain somewhat relevant, at least in the Valley. Consistent playoff team and district contender. Not consistently top 5 like Harlingen, but I think they've tensioned relevant. Definitely haven't made any noise outside the valley though.

Tony V was my head coach in Weslaco. Definitely some very fun moments in practice and games. He was always good for an audio clip.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, TheBryMan81 said:

As a Weslaco High alum, I feel like the Panthers have been able to remain somewhat relevant, at least in the Valley. Consistent playoff team and district contender. Not consistently top 5 like Harlingen, but I think they've tensioned relevant. Definitely haven't made any noise outside the valley though.

Tony V was my head coach in Weslaco. Definitely some very fun moments in practice and games. He was always good for an audio clip.

Yeah, Weslaco High has remained pretty good. Sam Benito has had some runs, too and is usually in the mix.

I guess I should clarify, in cities where “High” was joined by other schools, some of the newer ones have passed up the old programs, except for HHS.  It seems like Weslaco and Weslaco East are both usually pretty solid and East hasn’t passed up Weslaco, though. 

Amazing what one loss to seguin will do.

Fwiw their stud QB Mike Terry was not among the suspended players in week 1. So either he’s actually not a dipshit or they spared him thinking he was enough to win. AH was always super easy to root against, just got a little easier.

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Weekly preview... Let's start out west....

West Texas

Brock @ Hirschi  Tonight...3A vs 4A, as Brock continues their brutal traveling road show against 4A competition (Pleasant Grove last week, Wimberley next)  Hirschi has speed like the Eagles have never seen and will never see again.

Cisco @ Wall  Two traditional powers, though Wall seems to have slipped in the last couple of years

Lubbock Roosevelt @ Hawley  Fun game here, pitting two defending R1 champs (LR in 3AD2 and Hawley in 2AD1).  Both came out of nowhere last season...  LRHS lost their opener 15-12 to usually mediocre River Road, while Hawley pasted Jim Ned, so Hawley may have more staying power.

Midland Lee Legacy @ Tascosa  So they're not "Lee" any more, but they are still the "Rebels" and that's OK?  They really smacked Tascosa's rival Amarillo HS last week, and though Tascosa is better than AHS, they're also very one-dimensional, so I'll take Ced's alma mater.

Houston

FB Marshall @ Crosby  Tonight... Coming off two consecutive state championship appearances, Crosby *REALLY* shit the bed last week against King, losing 63-7 in a stunner.  Who knows what we'll get this week...

Hightower @ Westfield  Tonight... The Mustangs are really good every year, while Hightower is really good off and on...a double-digit win over a good Dawson team suggests this might be an on year for the Hurricanes.

Atascocita @ Katy  Game of the week in the entire state here.  The Eagles seem to always have the talent to challenge for state, but can never get out of Region 3, usually because of Katy, whom they've never beaten.  They'll likely meet again in November.

East Texas

Not that much exciting in the east, other than the region's best rivalry...

Marshall @ Longview   The Mavs have been up and down in recent years, while the Lobos have claimed the title of best program in ET.  Longview won 14-0 last season and has more talent this year.

Central

Marlin @ Mart  Tonight... This game was moved to Mart and to tonight supposedly because of a shortage of officials.  Would be more interesting if they could move Derion Gullette back to Marlin and fix his knee, but they can't, so Mart gonna roll.

DFW

Houston C.E. King @ Allen  Very interesting DFW-Houston matchup... I'd normally take Allen without thinking, but King had maybe the best performance in the state last week (63-7 over Crosby), while Allen got pantsed by a Cali school.  

Guyer @ Aledo  Aledo lost a shocker to 3-time defending TAPPS state champ, but that's still a Texas private school that Aledo should not be losing to, as Aledo probably out-recruits them... Guyer smacked a good Heath team 47-14 and looks to be the class of Denton, as if Denton had any class.  It would be weird to see Aledo at 0-2, but I think that'll happen.

SOC @ Lancaster  SOC impressed me about as much as possible in a loss last week.  Lancaster is a program capable of matching them athletically.

Argyle @ Lovejoy   This looks like a *REALLY* good one.  Argyle showed 5A doesn't matter as they spanked fellow 5A-moveup Melissa... Lovejoy destroyed College Station, a state finalist in 5A last season.  I'll take the Leopards.

Arlington Martin @ Cedar Hill   Is CH down this year?  This will provide a good answer, as Martin controlled Lake Travis last week.

Orlando Jones @ Duncanville and St. Francis (Baltimore) @ Desoto  Both game Saturday.  SF plays a fully national schedule.  Jones went 12-3 and lost in the 4th round of the Florida playoffs last season.

Coastal Bend

El Campo @ CC Miller   El Campo really got destroyed worse than the score indicated last week, getting outgained 580-150.  I know it's only game 2, but it might be make-or-break time for the Ricebirds.

Navarro @ Cuero  These two have been in the same district recently as region 4 powers.  Navarro would frequently win in the regular season, and other than one year, lose to Cuero in the playoffs.  That's the way last season went.  Navarro got shockingly destroyed by Navasota last week, while Cuero drilled a very good El Campo team.  Gobs will win this one easily.

San Antonio

Brandeis @ Brennan  Brennan lost 35-34 to Steele last week, but I still think they'll be the SA team whose season will last the longest.

Westlake @ Judson  Would have been a much better game 10 years ago, as Judson has slipped badly and Westlake continues to be the plucky little overachievers who true football fans have all grown to respect and love.  Westlake needs to figure out QB issues/injuries, but they have a long time to do that before really being challenged.

Lake Travis @ Steele  Cavs again looked pretty mediocre last week; losing the QB was a big problem, and who knows if he's healthy this week...regardless, LT's biggest issue is their D.  They're not very good.  Don't be surprised if Steele wins this.

Austin

Liberty Hill @ Hutto  You may remember the 52-51 score with 1400 total yards from a couple of years ago.  Expect the same style of game, with the offenses dialed down a bit.   A little bit.

Vandegrift @ Cedar Park  Two games is too early to panic, but one of these teams will be very worried with an 0-2 start.  VG lost to Dripping on a last-second FG, while the T-wolves were completely outclassed by Cedar Ridge.  I'll take the Vipers.

SA Wagner @ Dripping  Dripping had a great 6A debut last week, and now take on another good program.  The TBirds lost to Liberty Hill last week and now take on a team that will really throw the ball, so advantage to the Drips.

RGV

Mission Vets @ McAllen Memorial  Very contrasting styles from two teams looking to climb the always-prestigious Helobious Poll.  Vets, coached by Valley legend Landry Gilpin's dad, can usually throw the ball all over.  MM will try to run the ball with the wonderfully-named Max Alaniz-Choi, who had over 200 yards last week against a mediocre Brownsville (pardon the redundancy) team.  Bet the house on Vets.  

If I ever buy a boat I’m naming it “Landry Gilpin’s Dad”. 

Midland Legacy has a homie at QB that actually has racked up quite a bit of FBS offers, Marcos Davila. Apparently he can really sling it. Hope they have a return to glory type year. 

Brandeis-Brennan should be great. JC Evans & Jaden Perez vs the Dubose Bros.

FRIDAY NIGHT SPORTS BLITZ SCHEDULE - WEEK 2:

#8 Refugio vs. London (@ Flour Bluff)
Carroll @ Gregory-Portland
El Campo @ Miller
Flour Bluff @ Laredo United South
Ray @ Tuloso-Midway
Bishop @ Moody
Rockport-Fulton @ Sinton
Beeville Jones @ Orange Grove
Mexico City (Lomas Verdes) @ #5 Calallen

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Weekly preview... Let's start out west....

West Texas

Brock @ Hirschi  Tonight...3A vs 4A, as Brock continues their brutal traveling road show against 4A competition (Pleasant Grove last week, Wimberley next)  Hirschi has speed like the Eagles have never seen and will never see again.

Cisco @ Wall  Two traditional powers, though Wall seems to have slipped in the last couple of years

Lubbock Roosevelt @ Hawley  Fun game here, pitting two defending R1 champs (LR in 3AD2 and Hawley in 2AD1).  Both came out of nowhere last season...  LRHS lost their opener 15-12 to usually mediocre River Road, while Hawley pasted Jim Ned, so Hawley may have more staying power.

Midland Lee Legacy @ Tascosa  So they're not "Lee" any more, but they are still the "Rebels" and that's OK?  They really smacked Tascosa's rival Amarillo HS last week, and though Tascosa is better than AHS, they're also very one-dimensional, so I'll take Ced's alma mater.

Houston

FB Marshall @ Crosby  Tonight... Coming off two consecutive state championship appearances, Crosby *REALLY* shit the bed last week against King, losing 63-7 in a stunner.  Who knows what we'll get this week...

Hightower @ Westfield  Tonight... The Mustangs are really good every year, while Hightower is really good off and on...a double-digit win over a good Dawson team suggests this might be an on year for the Hurricanes.

Atascocita @ Katy  Game of the week in the entire state here.  The Eagles seem to always have the talent to challenge for state, but can never get out of Region 3, usually because of Katy, whom they've never beaten.  They'll likely meet again in November.

East Texas

Not that much exciting in the east, other than the region's best rivalry...

Marshall @ Longview   The Mavs have been up and down in recent years, while the Lobos have claimed the title of best program in ET.  Longview won 14-0 last season and has more talent this year.

Central

Marlin @ Mart  Tonight... This game was moved to Mart and to tonight supposedly because of a shortage of officials.  Would be more interesting if they could move Derion Gullette back to Marlin and fix his knee, but they can't, so Mart gonna roll.

DFW

Houston C.E. King @ Allen  Very interesting DFW-Houston matchup... I'd normally take Allen without thinking, but King had maybe the best performance in the state last week (63-7 over Crosby), while Allen got pantsed by a Cali school.  

Guyer @ Aledo  Aledo lost a shocker to 3-time defending TAPPS state champ, but that's still a Texas private school that Aledo should not be losing to, as Aledo probably out-recruits them... Guyer smacked a good Heath team 47-14 and looks to be the class of Denton, as if Denton had any class.  It would be weird to see Aledo at 0-2, but I think that'll happen.

SOC @ Lancaster  SOC impressed me about as much as possible in a loss last week.  Lancaster is a program capable of matching them athletically.

Argyle @ Lovejoy   This looks like a *REALLY* good one.  Argyle showed 5A doesn't matter as they spanked fellow 5A-moveup Melissa... Lovejoy destroyed College Station, a state finalist in 5A last season.  I'll take the Leopards.

Arlington Martin @ Cedar Hill   Is CH down this year?  This will provide a good answer, as Martin controlled Lake Travis last week.

Orlando Jones @ Duncanville and St. Francis (Baltimore) @ Desoto  Both game Saturday.  SF plays a fully national schedule.  Jones went 12-3 and lost in the 4th round of the Florida playoffs last season.

Coastal Bend

El Campo @ CC Miller   El Campo really got destroyed worse than the score indicated last week, getting outgained 580-150.  I know it's only game 2, but it might be make-or-break time for the Ricebirds.

Navarro @ Cuero  These two have been in the same district recently as region 4 powers.  Navarro would frequently win in the regular season, and other than one year, lose to Cuero in the playoffs.  That's the way last season went.  Navarro got shockingly destroyed by Navasota last week, while Cuero drilled a very good El Campo team.  Gobs will win this one easily.

San Antonio

Brandeis @ Brennan  Brennan lost 35-34 to Steele last week, but I still think they'll be the SA team whose season will last the longest.

Westlake @ Judson  Would have been a much better game 10 years ago, as Judson has slipped badly and Westlake continues to be the plucky little overachievers who true football fans have all grown to respect and love.  Westlake needs to figure out QB issues/injuries, but they have a long time to do that before really being challenged.

Lake Travis @ Steele  Cavs again looked pretty mediocre last week; losing the QB was a big problem, and who knows if he's healthy this week...regardless, LT's biggest issue is their D.  They're not very good.  Don't be surprised if Steele wins this.

Austin

Liberty Hill @ Hutto  You may remember the 52-51 score with 1400 total yards from a couple of years ago.  Expect the same style of game, with the offenses dialed down a bit.   A little bit.

Vandegrift @ Cedar Park  Two games is too early to panic, but one of these teams will be very worried with an 0-2 start.  VG lost to Dripping on a last-second FG, while the T-wolves were completely outclassed by Cedar Ridge.  I'll take the Vipers.

SA Wagner @ Dripping  Dripping had a great 6A debut last week, and now take on another good program.  The TBirds lost to Liberty Hill last week and now take on a team that will really throw the ball, so advantage to the Drips.

RGV

Mission Vets @ McAllen Memorial  Very contrasting styles from two teams looking to climb the always-prestigious Helobious Poll.  Vets, coached by Valley legend Landry Gilpin's dad, can usually throw the ball all over.  MM will try to run the ball with the wonderfully-named Max Alaniz-Choi, who had over 200 yards last week against a mediocre Brownsville (pardon the redundancy) team.  Bet the house on Vets.  

Thanks, as always. LOL about Westlake. QB issues will keep us from another state championship as Klubnik was the difference with those big, mean Houston schools.  

Harlingen up on Mercedes 55-7… at halftime. We still don’t have a QB that can pass at all but when you just bulldoze people in the run game I guess you don’t need one. Trevino for Mercedes has a long TD catch & run but otherwise looks and plays like he’s bored. 

LT trails Steele 14-7 in first half. Can’t believe LT fans thought that Edmundson kid sucked. He was easily a top 15 QB in the state, they need him bad.

• Hook 'Em 1