2022 Texas High School Football

texifornia

I had a small school game tonight, because I have a San Antonio (NISD) game tomorrow night. Tonight was Hondo at Bandera. Two close rivals, with Bandera hosting, as well as their Homecoming. For two one-school towns, the atmosphere was electric!

Both teams fought a well played game with very few penalties, with one being very costly on a post-possession foul, towards the end of the game. Great game that went down to the wire - Bandera 25 and Hondo 24.

Hook’em!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Plano 33

PESH 22

https://starlocalmedia.com/sports/hsfootball/plano-rides-big-1st-half-hail-mary-to-win-over-east/article_0130884e-3bbe-11ed-9edc-1353f2eb7f39.html

My junior year was the first meeting, 4 November 82.  Everyone in the stadium thought PESH converted the 2-point try with no time on the clock, but the guys in trench swear they didn't get in.  Plano 14, PESH 13.   An even series over 40 years with lots of streaks.   In 1982 this was the equivalent of splitting mid-80's Judson in half.

https://starlocalmedia.com/planocourier/sports/a-trip-down-memory-lane-coaches-writers-recount-benchmark-games-from-plano-east-rivalry/article_9ff02614-6dcc-11e5-be11-d37c593eb71d.html

The next year, my Senior ('83-'84) we obliterated everyone to open 14-0 before losing the semi-final coinflip and having to ride buses 7 hours to the dirt and flat horizon of the stadiu halfway between Midland and Odessa.  We had a 14-6 halftime lead over Midland Lee but they had a back that no one could touch named Walter Jones who reeled off THREE 50+ yard TD runs in the 2nd half and we never scored again, final 35-14.  Here's a brief snippet of the closing stages of the 4th quarter.   The video title was wrong, it was the 5A Semifinal.  Confederate Flags flying on 1:50 of the video:

Everyone thought that was the end of "the Plano Mystique" which quashed Permian's mojo every time we faced them, but Kimbrough took the PESH split in stride and went on to win back-to-back titles in '86 and '87.  Only Highland Park and Craig James' Memorial ever got the best of Kimbrough's Wildcats.

I won't write a long diatribe of "The Mystique".  The whisper of history on the wind is fading.

But there is a record of it, for $6 you can learn all about a program that was On a Mission from God:

https://www.amazon.com/Best-High-School-Football-Country/dp/0878337121#customerReviews

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Helobious said:

WTF game of the night: Judson was up on Midland Leegacy 47-0… at the end of the first quarter. They got out scored 50-13 the rest of the way and the Rockets held on for a 60-50 win. 

Laredo United South hands Weslaco their first loss of the year 32-18. Pretty much everyone hates playing LUS. They’re always very scrappy, annoying, and disciplined despite having no size or real gifted players. They lost to LT in the playoffs last year and didn’t get embarrassed. They’re 1-4 this year, 3 losses by 1 score (to Flour Bluff, Boerne Champion, and PSJA North) and lost 21-7 to Harlingen in a game that was called to lightning in the 2nd quarter. LUS in the 3rd round again this year wouldnt surprise me.

Shoutout to SA Sotomayor. First win in program history tonight beating SA Holmes 14-8. 

Harlingen beat Laredo United in Roma 56-49 in a very non-Harlingen type game.  The Cardinals led the whole way, at times up by two TDs but couldn’t get LU salted away.  Fourth down stand with two minutes left sealed the deal.

After an underwhelming showing against Brownsville Vets to start the year, San Benito is undefeated and whacking everyone… 51-0 against Edinburg in an “old Valley” matchup.  Los Fresnos only has a loss to PSJAN that doesn’t look bad at all with a freshman quarterback.  

Still thinking HHS-SB-LF-Weslaco as the finish but the Battle of the Arroyo will be for everything and the Greyhounds will come to play. Spotting Harlingen a TD just because they’re in red is a thing of the past. 

With no McAllen schools and the best mid-Valley teams kicked down to 5A there’s a real inequity in the 6A ranks between East and West Valley. Won’t be surprised to see 32 clean up against 31 come playoffs. 

• Hook 'Em 4

5 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Harlingen beat Laredo United in Roma 56-49 in a very non-Harlingen type game.  The Cardinals led the whole way, at times up by two TDs but couldn’t get LU salted away.  Fourth down stand with two minutes left sealed the deal.

We’re down our top two 2 d-linemen, really hurts the pass rush. 

On 9/24/2022 at 8:43 AM, Gardner Barnes said:

At this point Lake Travis is irrelevant and has been for a number of years. WL should be more concerned about the rise of Drip.

Were they irrelevant last year when they lost to North Shore in the state semifinals? They also made it to that game three years ago so your post mortem may be somewhat premature. it hasn’t helped that they are without their starting QB this entire season, but so are our beloved Chaps. They will be back. 

I agree about Dripping Springs. I stated in this thread before the season that they could beat Westlake. Don’t be surprised if they do. 

Edited by TreatyOak

Hey @Nueces River Rat, Donna versus Brownsville Vets is the GOTW for the valley.  Donna hasn’t lost a contest and Vets has won three straight after playing San Benito pretty tough in the opener— and San Benito is looking like one of the top three 6A teams in the valley this year. 

That district will come down to Donna, Harlingen South, and Vets. Whoever wins this one has the inside track. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Hey @Nueces River Rat, Donna versus Brownsville Vets is the GOTW for the valley.  Donna hasn’t lost a contest and Vets has won three straight after playing San Benito pretty tough in the opener— and San Benito is looking like one of the top three 6A teams in the valley this year. 

That district will come down to Donna, Harlingen South, and Vets. Whoever wins this one has the inside track. 

IDK why, but Valley football is my favorite.  Maybe because the communities are smaller and more similar?  No Katfkid.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Man if I had an off night with my duties up here at Calallen, I would make that drive to Brownsville to see it.   Instead I get to watch us dump on Kingsville where DCTF has us favored by 72.   Yawn.....

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

IDK why, but Valley football is my favorite.  Maybe because the communities are smaller and more similar?  No Katfkid.

The concession stands are worth a trip to some of the stadiums.      The smaller the schools, the better IMO.   But even the larger one have some good stuff especially if the different clubs get involved and sell one or two items in particular.   One club with have a fajita/sausage wrap booth.  Another will have the Frito Pies, etc.   

• Hook 'Em 1

If any of you are sitting around DT Austin tonight you have Bowie vs Austin High at House Park. 7:30 kickoff

Stadium opened in 1939 so it is a cool old stadium to watch game at.

Not promising high quality football (it is Austin High after all) but cool atmosphere and weather shouldn't be terrible.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Everytime I pass through the town of Donna I think about that Ritchie Valens song.

Some people recall what then was the national record marijuana bust in 1979 and the short Saturday Night Live skit with John Belushi making fun of it.  Good times!  

Edited by Nueces River Rat
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

What? I'm lost. Details please.

Back in the late 70's, the largest Marijuana bust in the nation occurred in a neighborhood in Donna which was probably eclipsed several times over not too long after that .   I was only a kid when it occurred, but I think they found the stash in a couple of 18 wheelers.  Anyhow SNL made a skit with Belushi portraying  a city councilman/drug dealer or something like that.  I've looked all over for it and couldn't find it.   It wasn't a long featured skit, kind of like one of the spots they would do real well back in the day making fun of a commercial.  And also back in the day when SNL was really funny.  Today it's stupid for the most part.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Thanks to the largest schools doing district play and a bunch of the smaller schools taking byes, this week's slate of games looks like bigger dogshit than the SEC during that November weekend where they all schedule JV teams to pad their records.

Austin

Vandegrift at Manor  Vandy has rebounded from an opening week loss that looks much better now that we see how good Dripping is.  They've won the last 3 by 131-13.  Manor is undefeated, albeit against an easier schedule, and they're the underdogs here.

Navarro at Eastside  Yes, Navarro at Eastside in a titanic tilt!   Navarro has lost 22 in a row.  Eastside has lost 24 in a row.  VIKINGS!  PANTHERZ!!!  SOMEONE *HAS* TO WIN!!!!!  (Unless there's another staph infection outbreak.)

DFW

Grapevine @ Colleyville Heritage  That these two teams are ranked in the top 10 of 5AD2 says more about what a wasteland 5AD2 is, as if having a 4AD1 team playing its first season in 5A being ranked #1 wasn't a big enough clue.  C-H is ranked higher (5 vs 8 ) and they're playing at home, so that's enough reason to pick them.

Coppell @ Lewisville  Coppell seems like a program that is not nearly as good as it should be, given the demographics.  They're undefeated this year, almost entirely due to the offense, as the D has allowed over 30 ppg, with 26 being the lowest allowed.  The Fighting Farmers lost to Highland Park at the start of the month, but have played solid otherwise.  This could be a 54-51 type game.

Houston

CE King @ North Shore  These are two of the top 6A programs in the Houston area, but it will not be a close game because NS is simply on a different level from everyone else.

Jersey Village @ Cy-Fair Two more of these suburban NW Houston schools that I can't keep track of because a new one pops up every year (hey to Frisco), so I know about either of these teams other than they're a combined 7-1 and they're going to score a shit-ton of points Friday night.

San Antonio 

Brandeis @ Johnson  Both of these teams have lost once, Brandeis to Brennan and Johnson to Judson, but this one is probably going to eventually decide the district championship.  Johnson is being Johnson again, piling up lots of points and allowing a little fewer.  Brandeis's D will decide this one.

RGV

Donna @ Brownsville Vets  The Redskins come into this game undefeated, and hey, have you heard about the movie they made about the 1961 team?  Vets lost their opener 17-3 to San Benito, but seem to have fixed their offense.  DCTF's computer has BV favored by 11, but that smells funny.  Soooo...

West Texas

EP Riverside @ Bushland  I know nothing about any schools from the Sun City, as it is a football wasteland that rightfully belongs in New Mexico.  Riverside is 5-0 and in 4AD1 and I have no clue why they thought it would be a good idea to get on the bus and drive 400+ miles to play a 3AD1 team that's ranked 6th and that last week went on the road and spanked a ranked 4AD1 team.  Long drive back.

Mason @ Wall  Two great programs that are a little down this season.  Wall (3AD2) has no offense, but they have a great D that turns every game into a rock fight.  Mason (2AD2) lost a 7-6 squeaker to a very good Coleman team in the opener, but have since pantsed their opposition by 174-26.  I hate to pick a smaller school on the road, but I think Mason will score less than normal, but enough to win.

Central Texas

Brownwood @ Stephenville  Once perhaps the biggest rivalry in the state, these two wandered lost for a few years due to coaching turnover and unfavorable realignment.  S'ville clearly got the coaching situation fixed, as The New Guy won state last year and is ranked #1 this season.  B'wood is a couple of years behind in that process.  They won't win this, but they'll remember this game in two years when their sophs are seniors.

East Texas 

Center @ Rusk  Center has allowed 157 points in 3 of their games and 6 points in their other 2.  They'll get a Rusk team coming of a surprising loss to Alvarado.  It's makes me sad that this is the best game in East Texas.

Coastal Bend

Absolute shite this week.  I am not going to write about King @ Carroll, which looks like the best game in the area.  Edcouch-Elsa @ Flour Bluff is probably the most interesting just for its... uh, intersectionality?

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

On 9/28/2022 at 4:56 PM, closetohumping said:

I agree with this; the Valley teams have stories that don't really get told outside the region, and those are usually my favorite stories.  This from a guy who grew up in FW, which at this juncture is irrelevant in football.  I would love for FW to find a way to field some interesting teams, but the athletes get recruited to privates and suburbs.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, cafe society said:

I agree with this; the Valley teams have stories that don't really get told outside the region, and those are usually my favorite stories.  This from a guy who grew up in FW, which at this juncture is irrelevant in football.  I would love for FW to find a way to field some interesting teams, but the athletes get recruited to privates and suburbs.

And there’s not a lot of d1 prospects. Kids play for their community 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Aledo says thank you Fort Worth. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

And there’s not a lot of d1 prospects. Kids play for their community 

True.   These days they get a few here and there who make it to big boys schools. They get a few more who go to D2 and below and actually do real well in some cases.  Maybe good enough where they make the NFL like a kid from Rio Hondo who had a knockout career at A&I and then had some solid years as a starting guard for the Chicago Bears.  Back in 50s, 60 and 70s the valley did have quite a few who did make D1 rosters including one Longhorn Legend from Weslaco in Bobby Lackey. 

Edited by Nueces River Rat
  • Hook 'Em 1

I’ve got a SA “Southside Tilt” tomorrow night, with both having “South” in their name, so it should be a rivalry of some form or fashion, if not by name only. We’ll see!

It’s hard to believe that we’re already at the half-way point of the regular season. Coolest temps at KO expected tomorrow, just at or “finally”below 90! Even fat referees enjoy cooler temps!

Hook’em!

• Hook 'Em 3

9 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

True.   These days they get a few here and there who make it to big boys schools. They get a few more who go to D2 and below and actually do real well in some cases.  Maybe good enough where they make the NFL like a kid from Rio Hondo who had a knockout career at A&I and then had some solid years as a starting guard for the Chicago Bears.  Back in 50s, 60 and 70s the valley did have quite a few who did make D1 rosters including one Longhorn Legend from Weslaco in Bobby Lackey. 

Good call on Bobby Lackey.

Worth reading his bio for Horns that may not know about him.  

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

West Texas

EP Riverside @ Bushland  I know nothing about any schools from the Sun City, as it is a football wasteland that rightfully belongs in New Mexico.  Riverside is 5-0 and in 4AD1 and I have no clue why they thought it would be a good idea to get on the bus and drive 400+ miles to play a 3AD1 team that's ranked 6th and that last week went on the road and spanked a ranked 4AD1 team.  Long drive back.

EP schools don’t seem to mind travel since they’re so isolated and it gives their kids a chance to get out of there for a bit. I think Montwood or Franklin came and played at smithson valley a few years ago for no reason too.

Only thing you need to know about EP football is the name Ryan Estrada. El Dorado freshman RB that they’re calling the next Aaron Jones. I’ve seen a picture of him and he looks like he’d pass the Mishak test with a different first name if you catch my drift, so there’s a chance he could be a real prospect imo.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Only thing you need to know about EP football is the name Ryan Estrada. El Dorado freshman RB that they’re calling the next Aaron Jones. I’ve seen a picture of him and he looks like he’d pass the Mishak test with a different first name if you catch my drift, so there’s a chance he could be a real prospect imo.

I found his 11-yo highlights:

Lulz at 1:06.

Grapevine @ Colleyville Heritage  That these two teams are ranked in the top 10 of 5AD2 says more about what a wasteland 5AD2 is, as if having a 4AD1 team playing its first season in 5A being ranked #1 wasn't a big enough clue.  C-H is ranked higher (5 vs 8 ) and they're playing at home, so that's enough reason to pick them.

Not that it matters but these two share a stadium.
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Scores from last night:

North Shore 38 King 3

Lost in this NS beat down of CE King

NS super stud soph QB Bailey exited game in early 2nd quarter with a knee injury (don't know how severe)

CE King came into game averaging 450 yards of offense a game... NS held them to 53 total yards. 18 passing, 35 rushing

NS rolled with backup QB who is a WR that moved over to play QB during game.

The Fresh Prince Of Bel Air Uncle Phil GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Pussies from Westlake who are afraid to face

Yes, but in a huge upset, 1-4 Del Valle is winning 42-21 over Westlake.  

UPSET ALERT: Just as Del Valle was looking like they were going to pull off the upset of the season, two junior partners from Thomas J Henry “reset” the score to 73-7. Del Valle officials and coaches were screaming, but a conference call with UIL officials confirmed the the score update. It was a teachable moment for all, as Del Valle players learned that life isn’t always fair. 

• Hook 'Em 1