Remington Arms has settled with Sandy Hook families

Gil Bang

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

at a grilled cheese restaurant

go on...

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I think it's stupid, pointless, and counter-productive.

No argument from me.  The very few times I've seen it, I used it as a tool for who to avoid.  

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Want to turn much of America against firearms, especially that large chunk of America who doesn't really know guns?  Parade around with them like an unstable dickbag.  Do so in a way that's meant to intimidate the unarmed? Even worse.

This number is shrinking by the day, and rapidly.  Assuming you aren't talking about the 33% who are never gun folks, or the 30% who already own.  36% "in the middle" with many becoming first time owners since '19.   The article assumes all these new folks are untrained, uneducated, and irresponsible, but I figure most of you can read thru the slant if you wanted to. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2021/10/responsible-gun-ownership-is-a-lie/619811/

3 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

go on...

No argument from me.  The very few times I've seen it, I used it as a tool for who to avoid.  

This number is shrinking by the day, and rapidly.  Assuming you aren't talking about the 33% who are never gun folks, or the 30% who already own.  36% "in the middle" with many becoming first time owners since '19.   The article assumes all these new folks are untrained, uneducated, and irresponsible, but I figure most of you can read thru the slant if you wanted to. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2021/10/responsible-gun-ownership-is-a-lie/619811/

How to Persuade Americans to Give Up Their Guns

The way to reduce gun violence is by convincing ordinary, “responsible” handgun owners that their weapons make them, their families, and those around them less safe.

Yeah I went ahead and stopped reading after the sub header.

• Haha 1

America is a violet, gun-riddled society and really always has been.  Hollywood/TV and, over the last 15-20 years, social media has taken it to the nth degree.  I really don't see how anything of consequence can really be done to change the totality of it.   Mass shooting don't move the needle.  Kindergartners getting mowed down by teenagers doesn't move the needle.  Fuck what will?

Fuck it, just hope no one I know or love gets shot.  Bout the best you can do. 

2 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

We should.  Define assault type weapon.

Essentials are 1) easy-carry centerfire rifle 2) with high-capacity mag (10 rounds or greater is a fair place to start the conversation).

While that includes scary black rifles, it also includes rifles like my son's MAS 56 chambered in .308 (its mags are 10 round).

3 minutes ago, Satchel said:

You mean assault type weapons? I’ve learned language matters when talking guns with gun lovers.

That's what I wrote.  I agree with your point.  Define what you want to discuss and I have no issue discussing it with you.

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

The way to reduce gun violence is by convincing ordinary, “responsible” handgun owners that their weapons make them, their families, and those around them less safe.

Why?  I own a lot of guns. I dont even make the "boating accident" joke as most everything I own the govt knows about.   It's been part of my life, my entire life.  Doesn't mean I don't stop and think when I see the suicide stats. Or think about the accidental discharge stats; I have three small children after all.  I think the article takes some digs for their agenda, but it's not poorly composed. 

5 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

America is a violet, gun-riddled society and really always has been.  Hollywood/TV and, over the last 15-20 years, social media has taken it to the nth degree.  I really don't see how anything of consequence can really be done to change the totality of it.   Mass shooting don't move the needle.  Kindergartners getting mowed down by teenagers doesn't move the needle.  Fuck what will?

Fuck it, just hope no one I know or love gets shot.  Bout the best you can do. 

Gun violence has been normalized in this country. When young children can have their faces shot off while sitting in a classroom and we do nothing, I’m much less sanguine about the furtherance of a civil society.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

And that's the problem, right there. 

You dislike the premise so much that you won't even entertain the idea that there might be statistical support for it.

The "I don't need to listen to opposing points of view because I already know they're wrong" angle is a hell of a slippery slope.

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Essentials are 1) easy-carry centerfire rifle 2) with high-capacity mag (10 rounds or greater is a fair place to start the conversation).

While that includes scary black rifles, it also includes rifles like my son's MAS 56 chambered in .308 (its mags are 10 round).

Ok.   I'm going to get kicked out of the gun owners thread, but this is where I get twisted.   To speak to your #1, I find SBR's 10x more "dangerous" than what you can buy right off the shelf.  Or the "pistol" variants for that matter.  I fully believe the reason the typical firearm you are referencing is more oft used by these assholes is they are easier and cheaper to purchase.  No stamp.  No waiting.  I say all of that to say if you had plans to do bad shit, you could easily build a SBR and wgaf about the stamp, you are on a suicide mission.     2) OK.  I don't have any real issue with that.  I think you'll see this work itself out with the price of ammo these days.  There are 10's of millions already out there, but if anything we can avoid the simpsons meme going forward.  I believe we should leave pistol mags at capacity 12-15, but that's not really the discussion.  I'm not even a pistol guy so it doesn't affect me at all.  Has California seen any success with the magazine change, or has it been largely just window dressing?

Yes, and dozens and dozens of others including my favorite of all time, the puny little .30 carbine. 

8 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

And that's the problem, right there. 

You dislike the premise so much that you won't even entertain the idea that there might be statistical support for it.

The "I don't need to listen to opposing points of view because I already know they're wrong" angle is a hell of a slippery slope.

Let me be clear, sir. You have me in the wrong silo. I don't currently own a gun, the only gun on my immediate horizon will be a bolt action rifle for when I go hunting with my brother in law, which we do twice  a year. I stopped reading after the sub-header because I know it's a waste of time, because 80% of the gun owners aren't going to read it or give it a thoughtful prospect. It may as well read "Convince Aggies they don't need to be needle-dick insecure twats." Because the entire premise to a vast bulk of people isn't rational. It's emotional, it's visceral. 

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Why?  I own a lot of guns. I dont even make the "boating accident" joke as most everything I own the govt knows about.   It's been part of my life, my entire life.  Doesn't mean I don't stop and think when I see the suicide stats. Or think about the accidental discharge stats; I have three small children after all.  I think the article takes some digs for their agenda, but it's not poorly composed. 

I'm sure the article is fine. I'm also aware of the passions surrounding this issue. I see it first hand every day at work, I see it in my father in law who probably has 50 guns stashed around his property even though he lives in the middle of nowhere "Just in case" someone decides they want to...I don't know, come and rape an murder a 76 year old man who has a barn full of hoarded shit. It's probably a good article. But I'm not going to read it because while I probably agree with the premise and statistics, I know that the folks that need to be read it probably won't be convinced to read or, much less follow it. And that includes gun larpers, criminals, and a large section of people I know personally who have hand guns because they think as long as criminals and nutbags have them, then they need to have one as well. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Let me be clear, sir. You have me in the wrong silo. I don't currently own a gun, the only gun on my immediate horizon will be a bolt action rifle for when I go hunting with my brother in law, which we do twice  a year. I stopped reading after the sub-header because I know it's a waste of time, because 80% of the gun owners aren't going to read it or give it a thoughtful prospect. It may as well read "Convince Aggies they don't need to be needle-dick insecure twats." Because the entire premise to a vast bulk of people isn't rational. It's emotional, it's visceral. 

Ahh.  Apologies then.

We agree that the people who need to read that article won't.  And that's why this is just one of many issues where we're pretty fucked as a society.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Extremely rational comment. 

there is no rational argument for a civilian to own an AR-15 or similar weapon. period. argue away. you will never convince me. and until very recently the public and government almost unanimously agreed. then the NRA and republicans stepped in and fucked everything up.

4 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

period. argue away. you will never convince me.

Again, rational. I’m right, you’re wrong!!

4 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

until very recently the public and government almost unanimously agreed. then the NRA and republicans stepped in and fucked everything up.

So the public and govt was convinced to change their opinion. How completely unheard of. I wonder if that has ever worked in your favor? 

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

I work in an office of 6 people. 2 of them Open Carry. I live in Timbergrove. On the weekends I'd say I average seeing open carry about 1-2 times per trip to Heights or Buffalo Heights HEB. I'd say that overall, I see open carry about half a dozen times a week, excluding the daily office mates. 

Damn dude.  I live in Afton Oaks.  And have never seen it at Central Market or Buffalo Speedway to HEB.

3 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Damn dude.  I live in Afton Oaks.  And have never seen it at Central Market or Buffalo Speedway to HEB.

I mean, fwiw I've never seen it at central market either. But its out there and I see it regularly.

My office and my house, however, are near recently or currently gentrifying areas. I mean, not THAT close to them, but I guess close enough for folks to feel unsafe?

My co-workers, however, flat out just view it as their right so therefore they are going to exercise that right. 

what's crazy is likely few of those people are really, actually trained to use those weapons or how to prevent someone from seizing them. I'm waiting for some (other) nutjob to walk in and grab someone's piece and mow them down with their own weapon. you know it's gonna happen

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

what's crazy is likely few of those people are really, actually trained to use those weapons. I'm waiting for some (other) nutjob to walk in and grab someone's piece and mow them down with their own weapon. you know it's gonna happen

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

what's crazy is likely few of those people are really, actually trained to use those weapons or how to prevent someone from seizing them. I'm waiting for some (other) nutjob to walk in and grab someone's piece and mow them down with their own weapon. you know it's gonna happen

It’s so damn silly, since somebody with a tiny handgun could walk up behind them and shoot them dead before they knew what happened. And they’d be lying there dead with a big ass gun strapped to their bodies. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Satchel said:

It’s so damn silly, since somebody with a tiny handgun could walk up behind them and shoot them dead before they knew what happened. And they’d be lying there dead with a big ass gun strapped to their bodies. 

It's extremely silly, and I've never seen it in person even though it has been legal for a long time.  I also clearly understand how it makes others uncomfortable.  I'm not a fan of open carry, and have never practiced it.  I don't carry concealed either, though.

• Hook 'Em 2

45 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Those guys.  Gawd.

But, really, the middle pic of the guns propped up on the booth seat give me the willies.

For the same reason you don't hold a rifle or shotgun when going over or under a fence, you don't want a bunch of guns lined up like that.  One could fall over and with all that shit hanging off em, slings, rails, shell holders, something could easily catch the trigger of one of them as it fell.

And I wonder how many have a round in the chamber?  It does look like a couple of em have open bolts and something stuck in the chamber to illuminate that fact.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Satchel said:

Yep. 

The  lack of situational awareness  displayed by this goat roper below should disqualify him     any type of carry permit or privilege. 
D8697A2D-1EBE-4321-A016-25A1CE7F4F15.thumb.png.8e30e4fb8aa74b4921cb259cfbed66f4.png

Posted this in the wrong thread earlier. 

•  

To illustrate just how captive we’ve become to the gun culture we created, consider a recent report on CNN. The TV analyst was doing another one of these stories predicting doom for the Democrats in November. She used the shooting of 9 Phoenix police officers to explain Biden’s poor poll numbers related to his handling of a rising tide of violence on the streets of America. Missing in the poll question was any mention of gun violence, which is at the core of increased violence in this country. It occurred to me, that had the question included any mention of guns, respondents would have been forced to acknowledge their own inaction in the effort to reduce the violence they purport to abhor. On this issue, we’re talking loud and saying nothi

lulz. why is the manufacturer held responsible? on the surface that seems stupid, but when you fail to enact any logical change to any laws or regulations for decade after decade - you end up with dumb shit. 

if you just had proper licensing and registration, and responsible marketing, the point of legal responsibility would be the retailer i would assume, but alas, America fixing nothing and the beat rolls on. 

It's a different color.  Makes all the difference.  I mean, it is essentially the same exact round, but you know, different.  And, the ranch rifle, while looking extremely similar to a "weapon of war" 30 carbine, has ranch in the name. But that was grandpas war, where it was less war like.   All kinds of differences.  

Adolph Hitler coined the term Assault Rifle, or Storm Rifle. But my memory might be as crappy as my ability to properly quote at this time.

And if there was a major cultural shift that caused people to start walking around in public with fucking katanas strapped to their back (and when you carry a toy, you will have an urge to use it), that would be a problem, too.
I agree that guns qua guns are not the problem.  Our utterly fucked up fetishization of them, gleefully fed by an industry that gives zero fucks about responsibility or consequences, is the problem.

Can I still carry a spear?

2 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

This is my big problem with it. When I was a kid I had to take a week of hunter's safety classes (for all ages - about 10 hours total) in order to get a license to hunt. About half the time was dedicated to the correct usage, carry, and storage of firearms. Even though my father had taught me all this, I still had to prove I understood it in the final test to pass. Don't pass, no hunting license.

I'd like to see a gun safety course be required to purchase firearms. It would be boring as fuck for most responsible gun-owning people, but it might help reduce the number of idiots running around armed. Either because they are too dumb to pass or they learn a few things that would persuade them to be more responsible with them. 

• Hook 'Em 2

42 minutes ago, Jhawkmvp said:

This is my big problem with it. When I was a kid I had to take a week of hunter's safety classes (for all ages - about 10 hours total) in order to get a license to hunt. About half the time was dedicated to the correct usage, carry, and storage of firearms. Even though my father had taught me all this, I still had to prove I understood it in the final test to pass. Don't pass, no hunting license.

I'd like to see a gun safety course be required to purchase firearms. It would be boring as fuck for most responsible gun-owning people, but it might help reduce the number of idiots running around armed. Either because they are too dumb to pass or they learn a few things that would persuade them to be more responsible with them. 

Same. And I did it twice - once for my shotgun and again for my rifle. I don't think it was required, but my dad made me do it anyway. I remember thinking it was a good idea and I was excited to do it. I don't get the resistance beyond cost (which can be easily dealt with). We have to school, testing, and a competency demonstration (plus insurance - gasp!) to drive a fucking car. Heaven forbid we do the same things literally designed to kill.

I remember watching the episode of the Simpsons where Homer gets a gun about the time it came out and I thought it was so over the top and far-fetched. I watch it now and it seems quaint and Idiocracy-esque in its commentary on gun culture

The Cartridge Family Season 9, Episode 5 for anyone who wants to revisit

• Hook 'Em 3

51 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Blah blah blah good guy with a gun blah blah blah tried to shoot a “robber” blah blah blah missed the robber and shot a 9 year old kid.

Oh well. If a kid has to suffer the inconvenience of being shot while riding in the family car, it’s a small price for the rest of us to pay in order to do nothing about gun violence.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jhawkmvp said:

CA does administer a test, but it isn't hard enough. 

2 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Same. And I did it twice - once for my shotgun and again for my rifle. I don't think it was required, but my dad made me do it anyway. I remember thinking it was a good idea and I was excited to do it. I don't get the resistance beyond cost (which can be easily dealt with). We have to school, testing, and a competency demonstration (plus insurance - gasp!) to drive a fucking car. Heaven forbid we do the same things literally designed to kill.

I remember watching the episode of the Simpsons where Homer gets a gun about the time it came out and I thought it was so over the top and far-fetched. I watch it now and it seems quaint and Idiocracy-esque in its commentary on gun culture

The Cartridge Family Season 9, Episode 5 for anyone who wants to revisit

Nachos

Rifles

Alcohol

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

Opioids and opiates are effective for those experiencing severe and chronic pain from objective pain generators.  That population continues to suffer from the actions of those without objective pain generators.  Think of cancer patients v. Junkies  

Weapons manufacturers suffer the same difficulties.  Responsible gun owners like myself suffer because of tools parading around with weapons and sociopaths looking to kill anything.  Think of Andy Griffith v Johnny Tool with penis envy and Saddam’s sons hunting people. 

What are Objective Pain Generators?