2018 Longhorns Countdown to Kickoff

Tex Pete

5 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

He had a huge catch on 3rd down in that game 

Yep. From James Brown in the end zone, grabbing the ball with one hand while barely staying in bounds. One of the less heralded but truly badass plays from that game.

I haven’t talked to Pat in a long time, but he’s also a lawyer in Austin, and I had lunch with him several years ago. One of the nicest guys around.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, South Austin said:

Yep. From James Brown in the end zone, grabbing the ball with one hand while barely staying in bounds. One of the less heralded but truly badass plays from that game.

I haven’t talked to Pat in a long time, but he’s also a lawyer in Austin, and I had lunch with him several years ago. One of the nicest guys around.

thats exactly right.  i could not remember specifics, but it just came back to me.  it was a critical conversion.

On 6/7/2018 at 8:07 PM, Dbeasy said:

Fun fact. I partied at the Texas/usc title game pre-game for a few minutes with Mike Jr. At the time, I didn’t realize he was Mike Campbell Sr’s son. I just knew he was on the 1969 title team. Even more absurd, he went to my high school and I didn’t realize that until just recently.

Not surprising.

1 hour ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Damn that's a clean look. What year are we looking at?

They were playing when I was a student there from '84 thru '88.

The unis looked good on the field but if my memory serves me correctly you wore pretty much whatever color you wanted to the games as a spectator back in those days.

• Like 1

The unis looked good on the field but if my memory serves me correctly you wore pretty much whatever color you wanted to the games as a spectator back in those days.

Saw the ‘90 win over UH, and you’d be hard pressed to find a fan storming the field wearing burnt orange.

1 hour ago, mininghorn88 said:

I arrived at Texas in 1994 during the Mackovic era, and it was the same.  Very little burnt orange.  In fact, a lot of fans didn't even wear Texas attire. 

It was like that at most places, Nebraska and a few others always wore their colors, most fans didnt. As a kid, we wore what we had on and when dad said get your ass in the car, you went. Never a thought to wear burnt orange.

Some of the East Coast sports writers thought the Royal's players were"slow guys with skinny legs and big butts." But One of the Navy players in 1963 knew better.  The player, who played professionally, said competing against Jack Lambert was easier than playing against Texas players.  He said "the guy in my night mare is George Brucks from Hondo, Texas "who weighed under 200 pounds but "he took my head off.  All day long.". 

George is #66 

?format=1000w

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Here's a photo that has never been seen by anyone.  One of my readers was going through some slides taken by his father when he came across this photo of DKR on October 4, 1952, when # 5 Texas played # 19 Notre Dame. Score is 14-3, Notre Dame. Ended up being the final score.  

36370334_10212748326927173_2756079934022

There aren't a ton of good quality pictures during this era.  This picture is amazing.  any chances there were more pictures of the stadium and surroundings that day?

5 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Here's a photo that has never been seen by anyone.  One of my readers was going through some slides taken by his father when he came across this photo of DKR on October 4, 1952, when # 5 Texas played # 19 Notre Dame. Score is 14-3, Notre Dame. Ended up being the final score.  

36370334_10212748326927173_2756079934022

That is incredible and thanks for sharing.

That is the same scoreboard I remember when I attended by first game in 1960 except by then they had replaced the "dial" clock with digital. It also has the schedule on it at the bottom.

Oh and no one has mentioned orange pants yet.