Rice @ Texas Series Thread

Horny Bull

18 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Only weakness I can see is base running. Rice fucked up the run down but that would have ended in the inning with just the sac fly. Had a caught stealing yesterday and a questionable send from Pierce today. If the offense is as prodigious as it seems, probably not a big deal, but we’ve been horrid in the past and it gets annoying when we are depending on those guys to get home at some point.

It seems like base running is just always going to be problem under Pierce. He likes the aggression and it’s well documented how many times he has sent someone that he shouldn’t. All in all though it’s not like we are horrible. We just take a few too many risks for my liking.

3 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

It seems like base running is just always going to be problem under Pierce. He likes the aggression and it’s well documented how many times he has sent someone that he shouldn’t. All in all though it’s not like we are horrible. We just take a few too many risks for my liking.

Yeah two things Pierce has made perfectly clear is he’s insanely aggressive on the base paths and he likes to run up opposing pitch counts for better or worse. Hard to argue with the results, just getting gun downed by a mile at the plate and laying off a belt high change in the name of making the pitcher work is a tad bit annoying. Much much much better than the fucking T-Nic days. Remember that time our pitching coach had to take over 3rd base coaching cause our hitting/base running/infield coach fucked up royally with astonishing consistency? That was fun 

10 hours ago, Fletch said:

Yeah same. That team started 16-0. Think these guys have the fire power to do the same and wipe the floor with the poor bastards assigned to play us in the postseason 

If you look at our arms I think the starters are absolutely stronger than the 05 team (McCulloch, Alaniz, Kasperek) and our bullpen is pretty close. Nix maybe isn’t quite J Brent yet but he isn’t a world away. The offense doesn’t have as much power overall I’d say but it’s a bit more athletic and creative. Overall really exciting stuff.

6 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

If you look at our arms I think the starters are absolutely stronger than the 05 team (McCulloch, Alaniz, Kasperek) and our bullpen is pretty close. Nix maybe isn’t quite J Brent yet but he isn’t a world away. The offense doesn’t have as much power overall I’d say but it’s a bit more athletic and creative. Overall really exciting stuff.

Yeah this team is more like the 04 team really. Very similar pitching staffs with a bitch of a batting order. This is fun. Comparing our current team to our awesome ones instead of being like “well maybe if Michael Cantu can hit .280 this year….”

At least on tv there just seems to be a hell of a swagger and confidence from first pitch Friday all the way through, players coaches fans, all of it. Now of course the cruel bitch can take it away in one game/series but there’s a healthy amount of fuck you leading this team. 

1 minute ago, Fletch said:

Yeah this team is more like the 04 team really. Very similar pitching staffs with a bitch of a batting order. This is fun. Comparing our current team to our awesome ones instead of being like “well maybe if Michael Cantu can hit .280 this year….”

04 was painful. Fuck we should have won that. Honestly the fact that we only came away with 2 in the 2000-2010 is insane. We left some titles on the board for sure. 

• Rage+1 3

11 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

04 was painful. Fuck we should have won that. Honestly the fact that we only came away with 2 in the 2000-2010 is insane. We left some titles on the board for sure. 

Absolutely. 04, 09 and ‘10. We were the best teams in the country those 3 years and just ran into some rough pitching or poorly timed slumps. The baseball gods fucking owe us 

14 minutes ago, bluto said:

At least on tv there just seems to be a hell of a swagger and confidence from first pitch Friday all the way through, players coaches fans, all of it. Now of course the cruel bitch can take it away in one game/series but there’s a healthy amount of fuck you leading this team. 

They feel like the baseball version of our 05 football team. Just a mindset of “doesn’t matter who you are, we’re going to kick your fucking ass and make it look easy”. It’s beautiful. 

10 minutes ago, Fletch said:

They feel like the baseball version of our 05 football team. Just a mindset of “doesn’t matter who you are, we’re going to kick your fucking ass and make it look easy”. It’s beautiful. 

True, but it’s been 3 games vs a pretty flawed team.  
that year we opened by beating ulala 60-3 so nice easy analogy there. We weren’t sure until after Ohio state. 

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

True, but it’s been 3 games vs a pretty flawed team.  
that year we opened by beating ulala 60-3 so nice easy analogy there. We weren’t sure until after Ohio state. 

Oh yeah I know. I should’ve said “in the limited sample size” but you get the gist. Going 3-0 in Houston in a couple weeks would be pretty much the baseball version of our 05 Ohio state win. Can’t wait to see this group play South Carolina and the Shriners classic teams

44 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Weren’t we supposed to have a couple top freshman coming in that made it through the draft? Who are they and are they playing? Little late to the start of the season but great to see a…fucking rice cooker of a start of the year. 

I think Gavin Kash was one of them. He got at least one AB over the weekend. 

2 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Hard to compare power today vs 2005 when every team was playing gorilla ball with the hot bats. Wheeless homerun is a flyout with the BBCOR bats.

Just now, 66BUFF said:

Hard to compare power today vs 2005 when every team was playing gorilla ball with the hot bats. Wheeless homerun is a flyout with the BBCOR bats.

That’s fair but we also had some serious power hitters up and down the lineup. Maroul hit 7th on that team and was a double digit HR guy. Crouch, Johnston, Stubbs, Teagarden all wet legit power hitters. And while the bats were “hot” they weren’t the same as the gorilla ball bats of the 90s. Moving to -3 helped cool the bats somewhat but obviously nothing like BBCOR has done.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

He stuck his elbow out and it must have knicked the guard enough for them to hear it. 

I thought he could have gotten called for leaning into it. 

Not that I'm against a little gamesmanship to get on base from a true frosh.

10 hours ago, 66BUFF said:

05 was nowhere near gorilla ball. Yeah the bats had some good pop, but nothing compared to those mid 90’s tpx bats. The ball would fucking fly off those fuckers. And they were like drop 6 or something too. So roided up players swinging 34 inch 27 ounce missile machines. 

Those tpx Omaha aluminum bats from about ‘02-‘10 were perfect. Just the right amount of pop. Beautiful ping to it. This orange Omaha Crouch is using right here was the best bat I ever owned 

csb/still have the bat. Got it when I was 12. Came in the mail the day of our first western hills playoff game. First swing with that bat in a live game was a no doubter to left. Didn’t feel it come off the bat. That bat served me well for years. Ok. Glory day rant over 

B37D5107-BBA7-4D5F-9C31-8D795D6059F6.jpeg

8E409361-00AF-4DD8-BC67-7CF2354DFC12.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3

10 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

That’s fair but we also had some serious power hitters up and down the lineup. Maroul hit 7th on that team and was a double digit HR guy. Crouch, Johnston, Stubbs, Teagarden all wet legit power hitters. And while the bats were “hot” they weren’t the same as the gorilla ball bats of the 90s. Moving to -3 helped cool the bats somewhat but obviously nothing like BBCOR has done.

Maroul rightfully hit 7th on that team. He was a .240ish dude over the course of the season but god damn he heated up in the postseason both in 04 and 05. Crouch transferred in. Didn’t play much in 04. Honestly can’t remember if it was an injury deal or we just couldn’t take at bats away from Thigpen, Maroul, Reininger, Teagarden and that crop

God damn going through those old rosters is a trip. Why did Hollimon transfer again? Started on the runner up team and he was better than Robby Hudson. And Hollimon got a nice cup of coffee for the Indians or some shit in 07 or something. And how did Reininger go from .320 with 13 homers as a freshman to .275 and 3 homers as a junior? 

Also unreal looking back at 04 and 05. 04 had a filthy ass lineup with 3 mlb bats (Teagarden, Stubbs and Thigpen). Along with JP Howell and Sam Lecure who carved out solid mlb careers in our starting rotation. Then Huston, the best closer in college baseball history and we lose in heartbreaking fashion. Didn’t even need to use Kyle McCullough. Then 05 with a new pitching rotation of sophomore-freshman-freshman, breaking in a new first baseman, moving Seth to short and People’s in right and we win it all. Shit we’re pretty much copying that stretch from 2000-2005 right now. 2000, gritty team meets ceiling and goes to Omaha where they’re just overmatched. 0-2. 2018, scrappy team, ceiling met, overmatched 0-2. ‘02-gritty, talented team grinds out a toufh post season and wins it all. ‘21 gritty, talented team grinds out a tough postseason, comes within cunt hair of playing for it all. After that 2000 team scratched their way to Omaha, we started piling up elite recruiting classes year after year. After ‘18, we’ve piled up  elite recruiting classes year after year. In the last 10 years, we couldn’t afford an injury to anyone. Our bench was shit and our starters were more Tulane level than Texas level. Now we have mlb potential all over the field and starter quality bench guys. Fucking a dudes, it’s happening. Enjoy the ride 🤘

• Hook 'Em 4

8 hours ago, Fletch said:

Maroul rightfully hit 7th on that team. He was a .240ish dude over the course of the season but god damn he heated up in the postseason both in 04 and 05. Crouch transferred in. Didn’t play much in 04. Honestly can’t remember if it was an injury deal or we just couldn’t take at bats away from Thigpen, Maroul, Reininger, Teagarden and that crop

God damn going through those old rosters is a trip. Why did Hollimon transfer again? Started on the runner up team and he was better than Robby Hudson. And Hollimon got a nice cup of coffee for the Indians or some shit in 07 or something. And how did Reininger go from .320 with 13 homers as a freshman to .275 and 3 homers as a junior? 

Also unreal looking back at 04 and 05. 04 had a filthy ass lineup with 3 mlb bats (Teagarden, Stubbs and Thigpen). Along with JP Howell and Sam Lecure who carved out solid mlb careers in our starting rotation. Then Huston, the best closer in college baseball history and we lose in heartbreaking fashion. Didn’t even need to use Kyle McCullough. Then 05 with a new pitching rotation of sophomore-freshman-freshman, breaking in a new first baseman, moving Seth to short and People’s in right and we win it all. Shit we’re pretty much copying that stretch from 2000-2005 right now. 2000, gritty team meets ceiling and goes to Omaha where they’re just overmatched. 0-2. 2018, scrappy team, ceiling met, overmatched 0-2. ‘02-gritty, talented team grinds out a toufh post season and wins it all. ‘21 gritty, talented team grinds out a tough postseason, comes within cunt hair of playing for it all. After that 2000 team scratched their way to Omaha, we started piling up elite recruiting classes year after year. After ‘18, we’ve piled up  elite recruiting classes year after year. In the last 10 years, we couldn’t afford an injury to anyone. Our bench was shit and our starters were more Tulane level than Texas level. Now we have mlb potential all over the field and starter quality bench guys. Fucking a dudes, it’s happening. Enjoy the ride 🤘

People's???

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Fletch said:

05 was nowhere near gorilla ball. Yeah the bats had some good pop, but nothing compared to those mid 90’s tpx bats. The ball would fucking fly off those fuckers. And they were like drop 6 or something too. So roided up players swinging 34 inch 27 ounce missile machines. 

Those tpx Omaha aluminum bats from about ‘02-‘10 were perfect. Just the right amount of pop. Beautiful ping to it. This orange Omaha Crouch is using right here was the best bat I ever owned 

csb/still have the bat. Got it when I was 12. Came in the mail the day of our first western hills playoff game. First swing with that bat in a live game was a no doubter to left. Didn’t feel it come off the bat. That bat served me well for years. Ok. Glory day rant over 

B37D5107-BBA7-4D5F-9C31-8D795D6059F6.jpeg

8E409361-00AF-4DD8-BC67-7CF2354DFC12.jpeg

You sir have excellent taste in bats. Used it all through high school

• Hook 'Em 1

Lots of brake tapping is needed haha but I share the enthusiasm for this squad. Speed, defense, pitching, power. Not a lot of holes and it’s a deep roster.

2004 will always haunt us. We killed people that year, the regional and super were as dominant as any I’ve ever seen. Got to Omaha and continued until Cal St somehow got us. Crushing. Buck Cody, J Brent and Huston were incredible at the back end. 

5 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Lots of brake tapping is needed haha but I share the enthusiasm for this squad. Speed, defense, pitching, power. Not a lot of holes and it’s a deep roster.

2004 will always haunt us. We killed people that year, the regional and super were as dominant as any I’ve ever seen. Got to Omaha and continued until Cal St somehow got us. Crushing. Buck Cody, J Brent and Huston were incredible at the back end. 

Look anything can happen in baseball. We might be like 2010 and not even make it to the CWS no matter how good we are. So best to enjoy the ride as it happens and not start fretting about what disaster might occur.

18 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Look anything can happen in baseball. We might be like 2010 and not even make it to the CWS no matter how good we are. So best to enjoy the ride as it happens and not start fretting about what disaster might occur.

I would be fucking stunned if this team doesn't get to Omaha. But let's see how we do against bammer and swamp tiger. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, BERT said:

I miss the ping of any bat prior to 2010. The good ol days

No shit. At least today’s bats are pretty solid. Miss thing ping but they for more pop in em that those bbcor bats. God damn. Those had less pop than wood bats   They introduced em when I was a junior in high school. That shit ass bat robbed me of at least 2 homes. I hit the sweet spot on a bbcor my junior year. Thought it was gone off the bat. Nope. Ball died on the warning track. Really happy with the new bats. Seems like the perfect amount of pop and whatnot 

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

No shit. At least today’s bats are pretty solid. Miss thing ping but they for more pop in em that those bbcor bats. God damn. Those had less pop than wood bats   They introduced em when I was a junior in high school. That shit ass bat robbed me of at least 2 homes. I hit the sweet spot on a bbcor my junior year. Thought it was gone off the bat. Nope. Ball died on the warning track. Really happy with the new bats. Seems like the perfect amount of pop and whatnot 

I wouldn’t know. I’m too old to have had to mess with those shitty bats

• 3 weeks later...