War and impact to travel

Gil Bang

We have already booked a Baltic cruise, which includes St. Petersburg, and other Baltic countries that border Russia, in August 2023. We can get a full refund 90 days before we sail so I'm not worried about losing any money if it cancels, or we choose not to go. A lot can, and will happen, between now and then. 

1 hour ago, Grimas said:

Cancelled a trip for the family to Lithuania at the end of May this morning...  I don't want to possibly repeat the trip my grandfather made in 1944 walking the family to Germany to GTFO ahead of the Russians...

ive been to lithuania, loved it and had a GREAT time. damn good bacon 

13 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

We have already booked a Baltic cruise, which includes St. Petersburg, and other Baltic countries that border Russia, in August 2023. We can get a full refund 90 days before we sail so I'm not worried about losing any money if it cancels, or we choose not to go. A lot can, and will happen, between now and then. 

A friend doing a Baltic cruise in a couple of months said they'd already been informed that St. Petersburg has been removed as one of the destination ports.  Not sure what it might have been replace by, if anything.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

A friend doing a Baltic cruise in a couple of months said they'd already been informed that St. Petersburg has been removed as one of the destination ports.  Not sure what it might have been replace by, if anything.

Gdańsk is beautiful 🙄 

Well the small “old town” enclave is. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Grimas said:

Cancelled a trip for the family to Lithuania at the end of May this morning...  I don't want to possibly repeat the trip my grandfather made in 1944 walking the family to Germany to GTFO ahead of the Russians...

shake.thumb.gif.ede1e6c7735ab9d0c67f41d4

These pendulums look like they are of Eastern European descent, and I totally admire that.

I'm thinking that walking out of Lithuania wouldn't be the best way to do a pilgrimage... unless you're used to a Hajj... but if Opa was walking out of Lithuania in 1944, it probably isn't something that you're used to.

There are rumors that an ancestor of mine may not have actually been from Germany, but rather moved to Germany from Lithuania, before marry a German lady, but that was a century and a half ago (or so) and I wasn't around, so I can't verify.

I have been to St. Petersburg, sang Sting's "Russians" along my walk on the north side of the Neva (heading west) and then chuckled when I heard it playing over the sound system in the gift shop of the Peter & Paul Cathedral, but that was in the time of Yeltsin. Good times.

When the Germans began to retreat from the advancing Russian army, my grandparents and my father and his older sister got on a train headed west - (grandfather had fought as a partisan against the Russians in the late 1930's when the occupied Lithuania before the Germans invaded in '39/40. He knew he was toast/gonna be sent to a Siberian camp if he was still around when the Russians reoccupied Lithuania.)

The train headed west was stopped in Poland and all males between the ages of 14-60 were pulled off the train and forced onto another train headed east to fight the Soviets.  Grandfather told grandmother to go to a specific town in Austria where there was a refugee camp and told her to wait there for him. As his train headed east, he jumped off and started the walk west...  It took him 2 years but he finally met-up with his wife and kid in the camp in Austria and then was able to immigrate to the US because they had family that that migrated to the US in the 20's and could sponsor them...  Dad's older sister died of pneumonia during that 2 year wait and is buried in that town...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

Decided to cancel Budapest and do Marrakech instead. While not overly concerned about the trip, we felt it’s something that we can push back to later in the year. And, I’ve been there 3 or 4 times before but never to Marrakech. C’est la vie.

you will have a great time in marrakesh. make sure to have a way to buy shit, pack it, and bring it home with you

29 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Willing rising oil prices cause airlines to jack up domestic fares? Who knows, but I went ahead and booked my summer trips this week.

yeah i was thinking the same. booked my shit. going to be heading to cyprus, which is well weird. i am nervous because of the strong russian ties, the turkish wild card, and the shitload of warships floating around those parts. i don't fucking know man. stupid world.