Sicario 2: Day of the Soldado

Parliament

I swear there is already a thread, but with God as my witness, I can't find it.

Looks like the "Brolin chasing Del Toro and the kid" storyline from the other trailers may have been a ruse.  But I don't know.  This movie still doesn't give me a tingle up my leg.

• 3 weeks later...

I rented Sicario from a red box on vacation a couple of years ago and was pleasantly surprised. Would have probably never seen it were it not for that, but it was good and I'm in for part dos.

DV's first movie was concerned about the morality of the drug war and our naivete about it.  This movie just seems like a stock standard action flick.  Though maybe that's just marketing trying to pull more people into the theater with the trailer.

12 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

No shit. DV (one of the top filmmakers in the world right now) isnt directing, so im expecting a significant drop off

10 hours ago, SpiralOut said:

DV's first movie was concerned about the morality of the drug war and our naivete about it.  This movie just seems like a stock standard action flick.  Though maybe that's just marketing trying to pull more people into the theater with the trailer.

Yep yep. Expecting a big drop off with a more predictable action based movie. 

Was gonna complain about the deus ex machina how Alexhandro survives.  (I was expecting him to have been swapped for some random.). Or how the young gang banger recognized Alexhandro.  But Sicario had two at least as bad.  So whatever nbd.

The chasing and shooting in the 1st half was as good as anything in Sicario.  The chasing and subdued Brolin in the 2nd was a let down.  

Movies with a planned sequel rarely have a good ending, and this one suffers from that.

The kid who plays the kingpin’s daughter is a good actress.  Most especially where she went alpha on the headmaster.

Needed more Catherine Keener being an asshole.

Jeffrey Donovan got more screen time, but he didn’t do much with it.  And will we ever learn what the deal is with his geek glasses?

Cinematography was solid.  Lotsa close-in shots where the action “backs in to” the camera.  

Not as deep as Sicario, but a great movie just the same.  Not sure where the 3rd movie goes, but I’m looking forward to it.

ETA

If I ever walk into a room and see Josh Brolin sitting there in cargo shorts, chewing gum, I'm giving him my wallet and running.

• Haha 1

On 6/30/2018 at 2:19 PM, Parliament said:

The chasing and shooting in the 1st half was as good as anything in Sicario.  The chasing and subdued Brolin in the 2nd was a let down.  

Yep, this one started out good with setting up the strings as it did in the first one but then fell apart into a sap fest. I was pretty disappointed I spent my time and money on going to a theatre for it. 

So evidently Brolin and Del Toro both made adjustments to the Taylor Sheriden's script. Awesome changes including that gay bump firing from the trailer and the small matter of changing the entire story from Brolin's Character and Del Toro's working together to totally gunning for each other because "conflict" and "reasons".

I'm out. I'll probably watch the next one, but It'll definitely be because I stole it.

9 hours ago, MagicSoccerSpray said:

So evidently Brolin and Del Toro both made adjustments to the Taylor Sheriden's script. Awesome changes including that gay bump firing from the trailer and the small matter of changing the entire story from Brolin's Character and Del Toro's working together to totally gunning for each other because "conflict" and "reasons".

I'm out. I'll probably watch the next one, but It'll definitely be because I stole it.

Interesting. Where did u hear that stuff about BDT and Brolin? 

I thought the movie was fine. Basically met my expectations and was worth the time. However, im wondering what Sheridans script actually looked like, if true

Saw it last week and enjoyed it. I was prepared for a big letdown based on reviews, no Villeneuve, no Emily Blunt, etc. Although it wasn't as good as the first, it was still a good movie and worth my time. I did have a sick feeling the girl was gonna be killed. Kinda glad it ended the way it did.

One minor annoyance I had is the timing and geography seemed a little weird over the last ~30 minutes. Those helicopters were flying forever to get to BDT, with it going from night to early morning. Turns out the girl had the beacon so they were chasing after her. The guys that took her had been driving for a while after killing BDT, then the helicopters finally overtook them. The Americans killed everyone and cleared out. Meanwhile, BDT wakes up and walks through the desert and reaches those same cars that had been driving for a while? Just didn't quite add up to me.

2 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Interesting. Where did u hear that stuff about BDT and Brolin? 

I thought the movie was fine. Basically met my expectations and was worth the time. However, im wondering what Sheridans script actually looked like, if true

Couldn't find all the articles I had read, but did find this.

“Day of the Soldado” follows Alejandro and Mr. Brolin’s character, a cocksure government bulldog, on a mission to incite a war between rival drug cartels in Mexico. Mr. Del Toro and Mr. Brolin anchor the film — neither Ms. Blunt nor Mr. Villeneuve returned — and were unusually empowered, in collaboration with a new director, Stefano Sollima, to take liberties with Mr. Sheridan’s script.

“Taylor’s a great writer, but we definitely started ripping it apart,” Mr. Brolin said.

Scenes were expanded or discarded; subplots and transitions were created on the fly, and Mr. Del Toro, as he has throughout his career, occupied himself by endowing his character with vivid and imaginative details.

And

In another instance, Mr. Del Toro reimagined an early execution scene, deciding on a ferocious, rapid-fire shooting style for his character in which one index finger, turned palm-side down, is repeatedly rammed against the trigger of a pistol.

The result played so well on camera that it was used in the movie’s trailer and became a meme.

Del Toro didn't even bump-fire correctly.

Sicario worked because it was a parable about the public's naivete and the necessity of good men doing bad things to protect good people. Turning the sequel into a familiar trope about bad governmental actors and the supposed immorality of fighting fire with fire ruined that dynamic. Rian Johnson would be proud.

Edited by MagicSoccerSpray

On 6/30/2018 at 2:19 PM, Parliament said:

Was gonna complain about the deus ex machina how Alexhandro survives.  (I was expecting him to have been swapped for some random.). Or how the young gang banger recognized Alexhandro.  But Sicario had two at least as bad.  So whatever nbd.

Movies with a planned sequel rarely have a good ending, and this one suffers from that.

The kid who plays the kingpin’s daughter is a good actress.  Most especially where she went alpha on the headmaster.

Needed more Catherine Keener being an asshole.

Jeffrey Donovan got more screen time, but he didn’t do much with it.  And will we ever learn what the deal is with his geek glasses?

Cinematography was solid.  Lotsa close-in shots where the action “backs in to” the camera.  

Not as deep as Sicario, but a great movie just the same.  Not sure where the 3rd movie goes, but I’m looking forward to it.

ETA

If I ever walk into a room and see Josh Brolin sitting there in cargo shorts, chewing gum, I'm giving him my wallet and running.

so we’re just not using spoiler tags anymore?  jfc 

• Fuck You 1

Finally saw it...definitely a different movie style than the first.  I heard the music theme from part 1 a few times, but just didn't hook me like the first.  Some was predictable, like the kidnappee becoming close to the kidnapper...etc.  It was still very entertaining, once I accepted this had a similar political agenda but with different style plot.  That border shit really goes on and is fucked up....but I didn't like that ending unless "he" intends to use the kid to get to someone next time.  I don't want to see a movie about training to be an assassin. 

Not as good as the first.  I'm glad I saw it, and probably would have liked it better if I was not comparing it to the first.

SOunds like there is a good chance there will be a 3rd.  Hope it goes back more to the mood and look of the first.