New Braunfels

Grimas

Doing a boys trip again this weekend after the annual trip was cancelled last year due to Covid.  Gonna be too cold to get in the water so we will probably spend most of the time inside or by the firepit unless we are out eating/drinking.  Anyone got any updates on good places to eat in town that survived Covid or anything new?  Gonna bring a burner/pot - does the HEB have crawfish or do they not ship west of Houston?

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

My ex-wife called it New Braunsfels, and always got pissy when I corrected her.

That's all I got.

I was born there. I always pronounce it with the s in the middle. I know it’s not correct, but it’s how I say it. 

Shoot out to the OP for realizing the Comal and Guadalupe Rivers are too cold to float in early March. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

Huisache is the best restaurant in town. Krause’s is a large Biergarten nearby that usually has bands. Naegelin’s is a must. Hard to go wrong there. 

I’m not sure where you’re staying, but walk if you can. Parking downtown is a bitch on weekends. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

2 hours ago, Mac8111 said:

Huisache is my #1 go to spot.

Myron’s is steakhouse atmosphere and steakhouse prices.

Phoenix Saloon usually has live music on weekends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All solid recs.

The Gruene Door is also really good.  They have a side of flash-fried spinach that's incredible, and the rest of their menu is really nice.

The fried oysters at Huisache are some of the best ever.

Sorry if the original post wasn't clear - I've been going to NB several times a year until Covid hit and this is the first trip back in 2 years. Most of those listed are ones I'm well aware of and have frequently visited - sounds like all have survived the Covid slowdown and that's what I meant to ask.  What may have disappeared in the past 2 years and if there are any new places worth trying... Last time I was there, Muck and Fuss had just opened and if Google maps is up to date, it's still there as well. 

The Pour Haus is another good place to enjoy the beverage and the scenery.

(No desire to float - we just sit on the patio and watch the boobs float by...)

13 minutes ago, Native Horn said:

Hoity Toit dive bar is fun for a brew or two.  The Oyster Bar on Seguin is usually pretty happening on the weekend.

What do you mean dive?  That's as Central Texas as you can get! Shuffleboard, pool and longnecks...  :)  (That being said, I just don't think I'd go in there after dark or with the wife/girlfriend...)

Shooting pool in Greune Hall in the afternoon isn't bad either... And the waitresses Mozie's across the street from it are usually good eye candy as well...

Edited by Grimas
  • Hook 'Em 1

I ate at Freitheit Country store today. It’s a little outside of town behind Bucee’s. Roadside pit stop feel. Good burgers and my wife’s CFS was good as well. They have live music at nights. 

My wife’s fave is Huisache. McAdoo’s is like a small town Pappadeaux. 

But sounds like you know what to do for nightlife. A group of guys looking for drinks and scenery would do best at the Pour haus. 

New Braunfels is a great town. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, South Austin said:

My ex-wife called it New Braunsfels, and always got pissy when I corrected her.

That's all I got.

9 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I was born there. I always pronounce it with the s in the middle. I know it’s not correct, but it’s how I say it. 

Shoot out to the OP for realizing the Comal and Guadalupe Rivers are too cold to float in early March. 

This is definitely a thing a lot of people do. I call it News Braunsfels just to be funny. 

Can confirm Muck & Fuss slams and goes hard, great burgers. There’s a basement speakeasy next door to it that’s a nice spot for drinks. Think it’s called Railcar or Sidecar, something train related.

On 3/10/2022 at 4:11 PM, Immaculate Vibes said:

I ate at Freitheit Country store today. It’s a little outside of town behind Bucee’s. Roadside pit stop feel. Good burgers and my wife’s CFS was good as well. They have live music at nights. 

My wife’s fave is Huisache. McAdoo’s is like a small town Pappadeaux. 

But sounds like you know what to do for nightlife. A group of guys looking for drinks and scenery would do best at the Pour haus. 

New Braunfels is a great town. 

I was gonna recommend Freiheit, not many places like it around anymore. I saw Charlie Robison perform there once, good times.