Texas @ College of Charleston/Citadel - March 15/16 - Midweek Thread

zlavydra

Just now, Fletch said:

We have to put Stehly at 3rd and give Kash or Schussler or whatever, preferably Kash, the dh spot. Kash seems like he’s got some power. And Cobb is starting his redemption tour. Unleash Powell!

Maybe it was a bad AB, but Kash’s AB against Texas State was one of the worst AB’s I’ve seen in a long time. He missed 3 straight sliders by 3 feet and could have swung twice at the first two.

If he was a legitimate option I think Pierce would have tried it by now. He’s experimented with several guys.

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I figured we would struggle a little replacing Antico. I didn’t anticipate us missing Zubia and Williams this much.

I think he meant from the start of this season. Our hitting is still better than it was last year (so far).

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Get Duplantier back into the bullpen where he should have been in the first place. The bullpen is already shaky enough. We can probably get by with Eckhardt as the midweek guy assuming we shore up a few other areas. Gordon as the Sunday guy is fine. He has good stuff, just needs some development. I bet he’ll be really good next year. Continue to stretch Harrison out as your 5th starter/bullpen guy in case things continue to go south.

Keep Stehly in right and play the matchup game at DH. I know he hasn’t done anything in his limited appearances yet but I like O’Dowd. Maybe platoon him and Campbell. Not sure what to do with Messinger other than just pray. Daly will come around (had a few hits tonight) and he plays great defense. Get Faltine into the 6 hole and get Messinger hitting 8th in front of Daly.

See you boys in Omaha.

This dude knows what’s up

Also we should totally bullpen the shit out of some Sunday and Tuesday games. Kinda like Sam Stafford in 2011. iirc, by the end of the year he’d start and give us like 3-4 innings then we’d turn it over to the bullpen. I think. They was 11 years and gallons upon gallons of booze ago. 

But again Cobb was a Sunday starter at one point. Yeah he wasn’t exactly the best but Christ. True freshman being the  Sunday starter is no small task. Idk. Fuck it 

Interesting. I feel like in baseball more than any other college sport you see guys flash as freshman and less of dudes who sit for a year or two before making their presence felt. Maybe I’m wrong though.
This staff has done a good job of developing players so I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt. It’s just frustrating to see teams like Texas State with a lineup full of dudes with chest chair and kids in the stands while we are praying that our 7 through 9 hitters aren’t auto outs. Obviously having been through the Augie days I know the mashing style doesn’t always translate to wins, but it sure would be nice to have more than 1-2 hitters in our lineup that opposing teams fear.
We will probably need to be more aggressive in the portal and juco ranks after signing just a small class last year.

Yeah, agreed on both the development pluses and some of the frustration. The hitting still looks good overall, so I’m not too freaking out yet. Stehly and EK are both great surprises. And I think FR taking time to develop is normal; Kody, Hamilton, Faltine, and Hodo all struggled first year iirc. The bullpen will be stretched all year but once you get into June we look good if we can lock down ~7 quality arms (Hansen, Stevens, Gordon, Nixon, Harrison, Southard/Eckhardt?)

you could kind of see this coming.  our hitting was good early but too many K's and getting some timely walks.  Everyone was crowning their ass.
this team without Witt can't have 3 guys hitting below the mendoza line.  I'd be willing to live with Campbell struggling(he's not ready obviously) from the 9 hole but Daly and Messinger need to get their shit together.  if they don't it is going to be a real long season.  Messinger left 6 on base tonight.

Messinger is the worst hitter in the lineup. Yes, worse than Daly and Campbell. He has to bat 8 or 9.

1 minute ago, Fletch said:

This dude knows what’s up

Also we should totally bullpen the shit out of some Sunday and Tuesday games. Kinda like Sam Stafford in 2011. iirc, by the end of the year he’d start and give us like 3-4 innings then we’d turn it over to the bullpen. I think. They was 11 years and gallons upon gallons of booze ago. 

But again Cobb was a Sunday starter at one point. Yeah he wasn’t exactly the best but Christ. True freshman being the  Sunday starter is no small task. Idk. Fuck it 

Also, outside of Hansen and Stevens, this pitching staff nibbles at the strike zone more than any Texas staff I’ve seen in quite some time. Maybe it’s because most don’t have swing and miss stuff, but good lord our first strike % for our bullpen arms feels like it’s 25% and Gordon seems to consistently fall behind counts too. Just want to see some guys fill up the strike zone that’s why I like Harrison.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Fletch said:

We have to put Stehly at 3rd and give Kash or Schussler or whatever, preferably Kash, the dh spot. Kash seems like he’s got some power. And Cobb is starting his redemption tour. Unleash Powell!

How has Whitehead’s hitting looked so far this year? I know he’s fast, so maybe putting him at 8 or 9 would get the guys behind him less focus from the pitcher so maybe a slip up or two. (Kinda like EK with Melendez, just a fast guy that the pitcher has to think about in the back of his head)

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

I figured we would struggle a little replacing Antico. I didn’t anticipate us missing Zubia and Williams this much.

hmmm, I did.  those guys had great years .914 and .990 OPS respectively and they had a lot of experience.  Antico was almost like having a 3 hole hitter lead off and he was murder on the bases.

Pierce has his work cut out for him.  he's got 3 hitters who are almost auto outs and lost a guy who in theory could be a friday type starter had he kept progressing.

Goal now is to host a regional and hope this team can do what Texas does by the end of the year.  

Mississippi State is 11-7, Vandy is 13-2 but have really only played Ok State and dropped 2 to them.  It's difficult to get back and unfortunately its about 5x harder now.

I’ll knock on wood but outside of Tech and OSU the Big 12 is not good at all this year. Baylor, OU and TCU have looked very meh and we don’t have to play any of those 3 on the road now since they moved the OU series to Globe Life. 

Edited by Hookem2147

30 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Hahahaha sorry. I like you dude, but you’re over the top pessimism and my arguable over the top optimist are pretty predictable 

Easy with the talk about my pessimism Fletch.  DD is convinced I’m a “front-runner”.

Don’t fuck fuck that all up bro.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Spaceman_Spiff said:

Messinger is the worst hitter in the lineup. Yes, worse than Daly and Campbell. He has to bat 8 or 9.

I don't think it matters what order you bat those 3 but if messinger is slow you'd rather not have him batting 9.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

hmmm, I did.  those guys had great years .914 and .990 OPS respectively and they had a lot of experience.  Antico was almost like having a 3 hole hitter lead off and he was murder on the bases.

Fair.

Part of my thought process was I figured the 2nd team All-Big 12 player replacing Williams wouldn’t forget how to hit the moment he stepped on campus.

13 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Maybe it was a bad AB, but Kash’s AB against Texas State was one of the worst AB’s I’ve seen in a long time. He missed 3 straight sliders by 3 feet and could have swung twice at the first two.

If he was a legitimate option I think Pierce would have tried it by now. He’s experimented with several guys.

Yeah I “trust in Pierce” even though he seems to make some real head scratchers every now and then. Idk. Dude knows what he’s doing. This seemingly happens every year under him. A fun but frustrating OOC that gears us up for the conference and postseason play. Remember how mediocre Nick Kennedy looked till about half way through the year in 2017? Or how Beau Ridgeway just completely lost it and in 2018. One of the bigger implosions I’ve ever seen. And we turned out fine. I’ve chosen to forget the 2019 season. 2020 may have been like a carbon copy of last year but fucking Covid. But shit. Elder went from like a pretty solid freshman to fucking Chance Ruffin as a sophomore. No telling what Elder, Madden, Hansen, Stevens and whoever else was on the staff that year would’ve done. Ahhhh hell. I’m rambling again 

Basically, do what we’ve done 3 of the last 4 full seasons 

6 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Easy with the talk about my pessimism Fletch.  DD is convinced I’m a “front-runner”.

Don’t fuck fuck that all up bro.

Shit, if Dennison says it then god dammit I believe it. Man what it must be like to hold so much intelligence….

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, OB3 said:

How has Whitehead’s hitting looked so far this year? I know he’s fast, so maybe putting him at 8 or 9 would get the guys behind him less focus from the pitcher so maybe a slip up or two. (Kinda like EK with Melendez, just a fast guy that the pitcher has to think about in the back of his head)

Can’t remember but out of Kash, Schussler, O’Dowd and whoever the fuck else is on the bench has gotta be able to fucking hit. Fuck just give us some singles, walks and productive bunts/ABs. I’ll take that. Baby steps.

2 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Shit, if Dennison says it then god dammit I believe it. Man what it must be like to hold so much intelligence….

He called me that Sunday and I had to read the post twice just to make sure I wasn’t hallucinating.  You and a few other guys here are like the Oddballs to my Moriarity.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Pierce, from a large picture view does “know” what he’s doing, but there are elements of his involvement where he is undeniable catastrophe >>looks at the 3rd base coach’s box<

Yeah he’s a great coach. Not an elite one. Which is fine. Gus and Augies don’t grow on trees. But damn idk what he sees in practice or whatever with dudes like Cam Fields or Blair this year. But shit we saw him patch together a pretty good team in 2017. Really good, I suppose you could say great team since they won the conference and went to Omaha in 2018. Let’s just not talk about 2019. Ever. Then last year well we remember that awesome ride once we got it rolling 

Edited by Fletch
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Fair.

Part of my thought process was I figured the 2nd team All-Big 12 player replacing Williams wouldn’t forget how to hit the moment he stepped on campus.

I get it.  from what I can tell he was 22 of 94 against Big 12 competition last year with zero home runs and 6 doubles.   they played a couple of decent OOC teams(mizz and creighton) but its apparent he feasted off OOC.  not many walks either.

If I was Pierce the lineup pretty much is what it is as far as the 9 guys you are going to have to roll with the rest of the season. At this point you have to get Daly going, just all there is to it. Last year Daly was arguably the best gap to gap hitter on the team IMO. Was 4th on the team in doubles and struck out fewer times (41) than everyone but Antico.

If it were me, I'd swap Eric and Doug at the top, Hodo strikes out to much to be leading off. I'd bat Daly 3rd in front of Ivan (I know he's hitting .190) because he will see a lot of fastballs which is only going to benefit him and the way he likes to hit. Stehly 5th, then after that its Trey/Silas (6th/7th), each has their pros and cons, Messinger 8th, and Dylan 9th. Just pray that Daly finds his 2021 form.

Also please give Southard a start Pierce.. In 13.2 IP in his career he's given up 5 H, 10 BB, 23 Ks, 0 ER. We've seen everybody under the sun out of the back of the bullpen and they just about all have issues finding the strikezone. Let's give the guy who's at least got the stuff to work around the control issues a chance.

Edited by chase25

Newly minted #1 in the country Ole Miss lost to Southeastern Louisiana today 5-1.

We'll be just fine guys. But it is appearing that there may be some suckage until we get this Wittless staff figured out. (no pun intended - I'm sure some of them are bright)

I get it.  from what I can tell he was 22 of 94 against Big 12 competition last year with zero home runs and 6 doubles.   they played a couple of decent OOC teams(mizz and creighton) but its apparent he feasted off OOC.  not many walks either.

He’s a 5th year guy with 6 career homers and a .280 batting average. 2 of the 4 years his average was less than .250 although the Covid year is kinda useless except to say he likely played a softer noncon than he would have seen in conference.

In comparison to Stehly, Campbell, Kash and O’D, you’ve seen his ceiling as a hitter. Stehly hit well last year in spite of his tough role. His defense was fine from what I recall.

If you need more offense, Messinger is not the best choice to hang your hopes on. That’s not to say he can’t get it done, but he’s had far more ABs than the others combined.

7 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

He’s a 5th year guy with 6 career homers and a .280 batting average. 2 of the 4 years his average was less than .250 although the Covid year is kinda useless except to say he likely played a softer noncon than he would have seen in conference.

In comparison to Stehly, Campbell, Kash and O’D, you’ve seen his ceiling as a hitter. Stehly hit well last year in spite of his tough role. His defense was fine from what I recall.

If you need more offense, Messinger is not the best choice to hang your hopes on. That’s not to say he can’t get it done, but he’s had far more ABs than the others combined.

yeah, I know.  I was more responding to the comment about him being 2nd team all big 12.  he hit .230 with 0 HR's and 6 doubles in Big 12 competition.

Kansas likely needed a guy on one of the 2 teams and his name got drawn out of the hat.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

It turns out Powell may have been not playing for a reason.  He struck out twice and frankly looked overmatched.  Late in the game Pierce pinch hit for him with Campbell, who also struck out.  We’re just going to have to ride it out with Messinger at 3rd and Campbell at either RF or DH.  I don’t think there’s a better option.  

17 hours ago, Spaceman_Spiff said:

At least Messinger and Daly have shown that they are capable of hitting decently at this level.  Campbell has not shown me that at all.

22 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

I think I'd go with this against RHP:

Kennedy
Stehly
Hodo
Melendez
Ardoin
Faltine
Daly
DH
Campbell (not quite convinced he can't hit, but it's pretty clear Messinger can't)

Start the game thread,  Z

Powell had 5 XBH is 24 ABs the last two seasons. No idea why no more ABs. Last year Peter Geib had 1 AB for the longest time. He hit a HR. Then nothing.

All these other guys can’t be judged with few ABs that are spread out over weeks.

There are reasons they aren’t playing more. No idea what that reason is. At least partly, Pierce does not care to spread the wealth around.

At least Campbell gets on base at an okay clip. Messinger has like 2 walks this season I believe and Campbell has 10 in 13 less AB's.

That’s the big one - Campbell’s OBP is .340. Messinger’s is .218. Even with some BABIP improvement he will need to discover to walk or hit a lot better in order to avoid being the worst hitter Pierce has ever had.
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Keep Stehly in right and play the matchup game at DH. I know he hasn’t done anything in his limited appearances yet but I like O’Dowd. Maybe platoon him and Campbell. Not sure what to do with Messinger other than just pray. Daly will come around (had a few hits tonight) and he plays great defense.

Pierce reads Surly

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

At least Campbell gets on base at an okay clip. Messinger has like 2 walks this season I believe and Campbell has 10 in 13 less AB's.

Yeah he gives us SOMETHING which is kinda all we need right now. If Daly and Silas get out of this funk, we’ll just need Campbell and whoever can just fucking give us ANYTHING!!!! 0-1 with 2 walks as a sac fly out of our DH? Sign me the fuck up, as sad as that is 

• Hook 'Em 1