2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

2 hours ago, Scraps said:
2 hours ago, David Dennison said:
We need a closer, not a set up man closing.

I am strating to trust Montero more than Pressly in the long haul.

Yep. It's a shame Dusty can't put the team before individual feelings. Pressly's stuff is more of a middle reliever. Neris and Montero should be the closers. Abreu should be the 7th/8th inning guy being developed into the closer.

Edited by HtownHorn

Presley has better career stats, but they were just talking on the radio a day or two ago - there are no egos in the bullpen. Guys will pitch any inning out there. 

2 blown saves in the first 1/3, if my memory is correct. A quality lefty out there would be nice 

Who gives a shit who the "closer" is?  Is this 1992?  Almost everyone in the bullpen has been good and we're generally using the best guys in high leverage spots.

Edited by WBT
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Yep. It's a shame Dusty can't put the team before individual feelings. Pressly's stuff is more of a middle reliever. Neris and Montero should be the closers. Abreu should be the 7th/8th inning guy being developed into the closer.

Neris had 7 blown saves last year in 19 attempts

• Haha 1

We are leading the division comfortably with shitty hitting, which is kind of encouraging. 

We need a high leverage reliever who isn't a bitch and OF help at the deadline, then we pray we stay healthy and enter the playoffs hot.  It seems like this is basically the template every team is using.

I’d like to see Leon get about 100 big league at bats before the deadline. Meyers was playing well before his injury, but I’m not sure he’ll get back in time to make a decision before the deadline. They rolled the dice at CF, and they’re paying the price for it.

I’m not sure we have the pieces to trade for Soto. No first and second round picks for 2 years is a gut shot to the farm system. 

Agreed on trading for a leftie. Should be nice and cheap from a team that is out of the playoff race. 

Leon strikes out way to much. If we got Siri’s numbers out of Leon, that would be great 

is Leon faster than Siri (pinch running) and how does his glove / arm compare ?

two pieces id be ready to move, urquidy and Lee. Go get some thing great 

2 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Leon strikes out way to much. If we got Siri’s numbers out of Leon, that would be great 

is Leon faster than Siri (pinch running) and how does his glove / arm compare ?

two pieces id be ready to move, urquidy and Lee. Go get some thing great 

I can’t imagine he’s faster than Siri. Siri is really fast with really good defensive instincts. That catch he made in the gap yesterday was easy peasy by the looks of it. It was actually a 4 star catch. If Leon can’t seriously outhit Siri he won’t be an overall upgrade. 

49 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’d like to see Leon get about 100 big league at bats before the deadline. Meyers was playing well before his injury, but I’m not sure he’ll get back in time to make a decision before the deadline. They rolled the dice at CF, and they’re paying the price for it.

I’m not sure we have the pieces to trade for Soto. No first and second round picks for 2 years is a gut shot to the farm system. 

Agreed on trading for a leftie. Should be nice and cheap from a team that is out of the playoff race. 

Siri and Chaz have combined for 1.0 WAR right now. That’s on pace for over 3 war. Our best CF has been on the shelf. We will get somewhere around 3.5 or 4.0 war, in all likelihood, out of CF. We have the best defense in the league. Those guys are more or less hitting 8th and they are better than almost everyone in the league hitting in that 8th spot. I miss George Springer. I have serious doubts about SIRI or Chaz in the playoffs against great pitching. They aren’t auto outs, but they also aren’t winning WS MVP’s like Springer did. Meyers should be better than either of them. If that’s rolling then dice and losing, at 2 million combined, I’m in favor of that. 
Additionally, when Meyers gets back I think a platoon (or partial one) against lefties with one of those guys playing LF makes our defense even better (we have lots of fly ball pitchers) and probably better on offense too- against lefties. And it deepens our bench if we have Brantley ready to hit in big situations against RHP close and late. 
It’s not Springer, but it’s an upper middle class solution imo. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Brantley’s OPS last 3 years vs LHP

638, 575, 643. 

he’s not great in the field or on defense. He’s entered the stage of his career where he shouldn’t be regularly hitting against LHP. He has 2 XBH against left handed pitching this year. He also immediately becomes the best pinch hitting option in MLB against RHP late. It allows you to PH for Maldy in a big situation with about the best option possible, in a playoff game, which negates your biggest offensive disadvantage at the catcher spot. Or, you can obviously PH for Chaz (my choice for LF v LHP) or Siri as well, late in the game, against RHP.  I think I might also seriously consider him PH with a guy on 3B, close and late, Wold series type stakes, for Yuli, Bregman and Diaz. I have the utmost respect for him to give a high quality professional AB, against a RHP, needing a ball in play or a non XBH, over just about anyone in the league. He’s awesome at what he’s awesome at. That just no longer includes driving the ball for extra bases or hitting LHP.  He’s thoroughly mediocre at that. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Siri and Chaz have combined for 1.0 WAR right now. That’s on pace for over 3 war. Our best CF has been on the shelf. We will get somewhere around 3.5 or 4.0 war, in all likelihood, out of CF. We have the best defense in the league. Those guys are more or less hitting 8th and they are better than almost everyone in the league hitting in that 8th spot. I miss George Springer. I have serious doubts about SIRI or Chaz in the playoffs against great pitching. They aren’t auto outs, but they also aren’t winning WS MVP’s like Springer did. Meyers should be better than either of them. If that’s rolling then dice and losing, at 2 million combined, I’m in favor of that. 
Additionally, when Meyers gets back I think a platoon (or partial one) against lefties with one of those guys playing LF makes our defense even better (we have lots of fly ball pitchers) and probably better on offense too- against lefties. And it deepens our bench if we have Brantley ready to hit in big situations against RHP close and late. 
It’s not Springer, but it’s an upper middle class solution imo. 

This. I probably wouldn’t expect great offensive production from CF, even after Meyers returns, but overall I don’t think that CF is some kind of black hole. They’re good defenders (important with Brantley or Yordan in LF), good on the bases, and average-ish hitters. That’s ok.

The biggest offensive problem right now, by far, is 1B. That’s obviously an offense-first position and Yuli currently has a 82 wRC+, and the underlying metrics don’t indicate that it’s bad luck. I don’t see any organizational solutions here. Josh Bell seems like a potential target, but given Yuli’s stature in the org/clubhouse (it’s hard to see him being DFA’d), I don’t know how that would work. (I don’t think Bell would be all that prospect-expensive.) 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

My concern with Meyer is his labrum. That’s a very severe injury. Up there with an ACL.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I don’t see him pushing for a roster spot this season. Maybe he’s a sept call up and pushes for a playoff roster spot ?

49 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

This. I probably wouldn’t expect great offensive production from CF, even after Meyers returns, but overall I don’t think that CF is some kind of black hole. They’re good defenders (important with Brantley or Yordan in LF), good on the bases, and average-ish hitters. That’s ok.

The biggest offensive problem right now, by far, is 1B. That’s obviously an offense-first position and Yuli currently has a 82 wRC+, and the underlying metrics don’t indicate that it’s bad luck. I don’t see any organizational solutions here. Josh Bell seems like a potential target, but given Yuli’s stature in the org/clubhouse (it’s hard to see him being DFA’d), I don’t know how that would work. (I don’t think Bell would be all that prospect-expensive.) 

Trade for Bell. Yuli becomes the new Diaz. Trade Diaz. If Nobody wants him DFA him. 
Playoff roster:

Maldy, Castro, Lee, Yordan, Bell, Altuve, Peña, Bregman, Yuli, Brantley, Meyers, Tucker, Chaz, Siri

Pitchers:  JV, LMJ, Framber, Garcia, Javier, Brown, Presley, Montero, Nerris, LHP to be named later, Stanek, Maton. 

Trade Diaz for a lotto ticket in low A 

Duhon has options 

You have 3 catchers so you can PH Yuli, and Chaz/Brantley for Maldy and Castro in a game where you trail. Siri baseruns and/or plays defense for Brantley close and late. I’m assuming Brown is going to have swing and miss stuff that plays better in the bullpen than Odo or Urquidy who are much more valuable over 162 games than best out of 5.

But yeah- Meyers healthy and trading for Bell literally fixes every single problem on this team and you have literally 1 or 2 bad AB’s out of the catcher spot early in the game. 

15 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Maybe I’m wrong, but I don’t see him pushing for a roster spot this season. Maybe he’s a sept call up and pushes for a playoff roster spot ?

Click loves him. He’s playing CF in the minors as of yesterday. He has 20 days to get called up off IR. I absolutely expect him, absent a setback, to be up no later than the all star break but probably when the 20 days is up. 

33 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Bell Is going to attract a big haul, imo 

He’s a corner bat in a walk year that is probably slightly less than an all star- he’s borderline all star. Those guys get traded every year. They never go for a super big haul. 

Martinez (16) would be the type of deal I would think they wouldn’t even get, as JD was a Top 10 or 15 bat when he was moved and I don’t think Bell profiles out that high  I could be wrong but I’d think a guy like Whitley would get it done.  Which would scare me to death trading him, but that kind of guy  

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2675373-jd-martinez-reportedly-traded-from-tigers-to-diamondbacks-for-prospects.amp.html

Edited by Wulaw Horn

I just don’t understand y’all’s high expectations for Meyers. The kid only has 146 big league ABs with a slash of .260/.323/.438. His minor league numbers are only slightly higher. He might kill it and I hope he does but I’ll only believe it when I see it. 

Edited by TonyTexas

5 minutes ago, Scraps said:

None of the 3 of them are ever gonna kill it.

Also i thought we were trading for Soto, now its Bell? Is Strausburg next week?

Bell is a realistic target - a good (not great) player nearing free agency on a horrid team who could be had at a reasonably low cost. He objectively appears to be an upgrade at the most glaring current problematic position. But, as discussed, it probably creates a practical roster issue and my guess is that we’ll roll with Yuli and hope he turns it around. I’m not optimistic that he will. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Scraps said:

None of the 3 of them are ever gonna kill it.

Also i thought we were trading for Soto, now its Bell? Is Strausburg next week?

I personally want Nelson Cruz who I imagine you could get for nothing to DH against LHP while Yordan plays left but that isn’t going to happen. He could be had, I’m sure, for literally nothing of any value. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I just don’t understand y’all’s high expectations for Meyers. The kid only has 146 big league ABs with a slash of .260/.323/.438. His minor league numbers are only slightly higher. He might kill it and I hope he does but I’ll only believe it when I see it. 

That’s a 750 OPS with really good defense. That’s freaking tremendous production for a #8 hitting CF. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

At his best Meyers is a 4 OF. Given the many holes in the lineup, he's not what this team needs. They need an AS level bat in CF, because they overestimated the production from Gurriel and Bregman.

6 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I personally want Nelson Cruz who I imagine you could get for nothing to DH against LHP while Yordan plays left but that isn’t going to happen. He could be had, I’m sure, for literally nothing of any value. 

The dude has a worse OPS against LHP than RHP. He's done.

Just now, billfromlaketravis said:

Now we’re talking. 

I’ve though he’s made sense as a deadline add for

4 or 5 years now and we’ve never been even remotely sniffing around as interested. I assume we still aren’t interested. He’s killed LHP throughout his career. I can’t fathom him not being a large improvement over Brantley against LHP. His ops the last 5 years against lefties:

It’s possible he’s fallen off a cliff and is no longer credibly able to hit  I’d lean more toward small sample size and odd start to the season  but even this year, in a year where his OPs is 300 points lower than his career against left handed pitching it’s virtually identical to Brantley’s.  If you can get him for the functional equivalent of free (prospect cost)  I don’t see why you wouldn’t.

5 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

The dude has a worse OPS against LHP than RHP. He's done.

Maybe. It’s a super small sample size. I’d also trust him more as a Ph than anyone else in our organization. 
he’s got only a 13.8%k percentage, his OBP is over 350, and he’s being dragged down almost entirely by paltry slugging percentage. 
when you see those kind of numbers it’s very likely possible that small sample size fuckery is afoot and it’s not anything luck wouldn’t cure. He sure didn’t look washed up or some against us to my eyes when we played them a month ago. He’s old, so I certainly concede he might be done. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

36 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

willie mays / mickey mantle hybrid, with better numbers due to improved equipment, medicine, and training 

Edited by tx 3 putt

3 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

You can’t use small sample size to support your argument for Cruz yet ignore it while championing Meyers. Cruz has more ABs this year than Meyers has in his career. 

dont bring logic in here almost 1/3 a way through the season !!!!

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

give wulaw more time (and booze / drugs), he'll work out a trade for ohtani and trout 

I have. I idea what your love of straw man comes from as it relates to me but do you think you could stop please?

lots of people have Soto on the market. It makes sense as Washington sucks and he turned down an extension. You can disagree with me or not like what I say but seriously dude, can you keep it intellectually honest and not do this shit? 
I’ve never talked about trading for guys who clearly aren’t on the market. 

33 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

You can’t use small sample size to support your argument for Cruz yet ignore it while championing Meyers. Cruz has more ABs this year than Meyers has in his career. 

I’m talking about specifically vs LHP- which I mentioned multiple times he has 54 of those. 
Meyers has 164 major league AB’s but he also has minor league AB’s and projection systems that don’t show what he is doing as radically out of line with what was expected of him. He’s also entering his prime. 
I also said- it’s certainly possible he’s washed, but he should cost nothing to acquire so why not. Betcha someone trades for him and give up very little.