2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

9 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah- Fiers leading to the firing of JL and Hinch, in addition to how bad and irritating Gomez was make that brutal, even if it wasn’t for Hader being so good. I put a question mark on the “worst trade in franchise history” but I think you are correct. That one is worse. 

Counterpoint - any trade that contributed to the 2017 World Series winning team gets a pass.  Fiers, as much as we hate him now, absolutely held the staff together in July and August of that season.   

Teoscar for Liriano also falls into the 2017 pass category.  Objectively, it was a terrible trade from a value standpoint, but Liriano recorded a couple of key outs in the WS.   

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, runthebone said:

Possible Lee takes Castro's spot before the playoffs?

I wouldn't count on it.  He hasn't been hitting much in AAA and they probably aren't going to call him up to watch Machete catch most of the time.

6 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I wouldn't count on it.  He hasn't been hitting much in AAA and they probably aren't going to call him up to watch Machete catch most of the time.

I agree.  Also, Castro had some huge at bats in the playoffs last year and he's only had 48 at bats this year.  I think it's more likely he's just in a slump than he's completely washed up.

42 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Counterpoint - any trade that contributed to the 2017 World Series winning team gets a pass.  Fiers, as much as we hate him now, absolutely held the staff together in July and August of that season.   

Teoscar for Liriano also falls into the 2017 pass category.  Objectively, it was a terrible trade from a value standpoint, but Liriano recorded a couple of key outs in the WS.   

Flags fly forever. Yeah/ I wouldn’t undue anything that might lead to us it winning that World Series. Never thought I’d see it. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gourmand said:

This is the obvious answer unless you are twelve years old or just dumb as fuck about the history our favorite team

Eh…I think you could at least make a case for the Lofton trade being just about as bad. Consider: (a) we got absolutely no value out of Lofton and got back absolutely no value in return; (b) Lofton would go on to be worth over 5 WAR per season over the next 8 years, playing a position at which those teams were never particularly strong.

Then consider the teams Lofton would have played for. Prime Lofton, Biggio, Bagwell hitting 1-3 for the entire 90s…holy shit. Those were playoff teams and adding a guy like Lofton could have nudged them forward enough to get over the hump. He was the perfect complimentary player for those teams - elite defensive CF (in the Dome) who was on base 40% of the time and stealing bases better than anyone in the sport. 

Obviously Morgan was a better player than Lofton, but the circumstances make a difference, and at least the Astros did get some good years out of Morgan before they traded him.

The Morgan trade is the worst in terms of the caliber of the player they traded, just saying that the Lofton trade was absolutely awful and isn’t far behind, all things considered.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

so does anyone have the final bullpen numbers for may?  5 scoreless last night puts a bow on a pretty historic run.

i'm always in favor of adding a rp at the deadline, but it's hard to upgrade what we've got right now.  someone like bednar would be nice but expensive.

When we start looking at our trade bait …..

Second baseman Enmanuel Valdez, signed as a non-drafted free agent out of the Dominican Republic in 2015, is tearing up Double-A pitching at Corpus Christi and making adjustments with positive results. He entered Tuesday ranking among the Texas League leaders in batting average (first, .358), RBIs (second, 40), OPS (third, 1.089), total bases (third, 96), extra-base hits (fifth, 24), hits (fifth, 54) and doubles (fifth, 15). He had hit safely in 15 of his last 16 games, batting .408 with 16 runs, nine doubles, four home runs, and 19 RBIs.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i'm always in favor of adding a rp at the deadline, but it's hard to upgrade what we've got right now.  someone like bednar would be nice but expensive.

I’d like to see a lefty upgrade over Taylor. Besides that I’m happy. Neris and Montero have been pleasant surprises. 

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

Perhaps my love for Yuli partially blinded me to how bad he’s been but yikes. 

@slorchremekberbwhwn every time Yuli got a hit and you were saying “average hitter?”  Yeah- he will have to get a lot better to become an average hitter this year. I hope he does. He should have about 60 days to prove this isn’t who he is. You can’t have a 600 OPS guy playing 1B (and batting 5th!) in the playoffs. It’s management incompetence. It’s too easy a position to fix. They need to have a plan in place to do so if Yuli doesn’t pull out of this death spiral he’s in. 
I love Yuli too. Everyone does. Sometimes you have to take dads car keys away from him and sometimes you have to take a beloved player s d turn him into a beloved bench bat in the last year of his contract. 
2 months to figure it out. Then the deadline happens. 

32 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I’d like to see a lefty upgrade over Taylor. Besides that I’m happy. Neris and Montero have been pleasant surprises. 

To this point, any random southpaw might have been a lefty upgrade over Taylor. I kid...but only sort of. The fact our BP has been great overall hides just how shaky Taylor and Maton have been on multiple occasions.

Edited by Gut Wagon
Bad spelling
  • Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

@slorchremekberbwhwn every time Yuli got a hit and you were saying “average hitter?”  Yeah- he will have to get a lot better to become an average hitter this year. I hope he does. He should have about 60 days to prove this isn’t who he is. You can’t have a 600 OPS guy playing 1B (and batting 5th!) in the playoffs. It’s management incompetence. It’s too easy a position to fix. They need to have a plan in place to do so if Yuli doesn’t pull out of this death spiral he’s in. 
I love Yuli too. Everyone does. Sometimes you have to take dads car keys away from him and sometimes you have to take a beloved player s d turn him into a beloved bench bat in the last year of his contract. 
2 months to figure it out. Then the deadline happens. 

You're right about his batting.  I took issue with you calling it before/ early in the season, but you are right in that assessment.

Edited by slorch

Last season, three of the six division leaders on June 1 went on to win their divisions. In the American League, the Rays and White Sox each won their divisions, while the A’s, who led the AL West entering June, missed the postseason entirely. In the NL, the Giants won their division, but the Mets and Cubs, who led the East and Central entering June, missed the playoffs.

SelfassuredFrigidKingfisher-max-1mb.gif

1 hour ago, slorch said:

You're right about his batting.  I took issue with you calling it before/ early in the season, but you are right in that assessment.

Yeah - I wasn’t saying he’s washed (and I’m still not) just that you have to have contingencies in case he is. 2020 was bad. 2021 was good. He’s 38. It can get ugly fast. 
same thing happening with Brantley. He went from Elite to above average overall, and below average against left handed pitching (and has been for 3 or so years). He should have a platoon partner. Hell, maybe Brantley and styli could be the platoon partners for each other if you stick Yordon in Lf and upgrade 1B. 

3 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

CF in the top 10 !

I still have faith he’ll turn it around me. He’s been swinging a bat since he could walk 

It's hard to imagine that 3B is only three spots "worse" than the starting pitching.  It's also hard to imagine there are seven teams with better SP than the Astros so far.

10 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

It's hard to imagine that 3B is only three spots "worse" than the starting pitching.  It's also hard to imagine there are seven teams with better SP than the Astros so far.

It’s also hard to imagine how much worse SS would be if we hadn’t re-signed Correa!

wait…

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah but only using OPS+ doesn't give credit for Jeter's gold glove defense. 

Idiot gold glove voters.

The hall of fame and gold glove winning shortstop who wasn't even the best shortstop on his own team.

Edited by kevwun

15 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

So who goes when/if those 2 get activated. Siri for Meyers seems obvious . I’m not sure they go to 12 pitchers to bring up Jones. 

Someone else or two (hopefully not more) will get hurt between now and then. Rinse and repeat until a) trade deadline and/or  b) end of year when hopefully everyone is healthy and real decisions have to be made.