2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

1 hour ago, Muny_Tex said:

Per Rome (and confirmed on team site), the Father’s Day home game vs. ChiSox has been moved to 6:05 on ESPN.

Kinda shitty deal on pretty late notice…especially for those of us out-of-towners who bought tickets with day game expectations.

Whoa my procrastination paid off. Had planned to drive in from austin with a 7 and 9 yo but dragged my feet hoping ticket prices would fall.

That is kinda shitty

29 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

This is setting up a great series with the Yankees end of June. I can’t wait to fuck them up in New York.

And Mets.

Who else is heading to the big apple? 
been to yankee stadium a few times but looking forward to checking Citi Field off my ballpark list.

And Mets.
been to yankee stadium a few times but looking forward to checking Citi Field off my ballpark list.
I got 12 years until i go back. Once every 15 years to that shithole is enough for me.
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Scraps said:

I got 12 years until i go back. Once every 15 years to that shithole is enough for me.

I should take a page from your book…

You’d think I’d learn something going 0-2 in New York and 0-2 in Cincy on that road trip a few years back.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, runthebone said:

Presley hasn’t been inspiring confidence, but his FB velocity is slightly up, and his spin rate is still good on the breaking balls.  Hope he figures it out.

im going with shortened spring training, then he went on the IR. he's still rounding into shape 

10 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

And Mets.

Just noticed that we play **9** straight games against the Mets/Yankees at the end of the month.  What a fucking weird schedule glitch.

Just looked up for reference and at 33-18 we're on the exact same pace through 51 games as 2018 and 2019 when we ended up winning 103 and 107 respectively.

We're off to a significantly better start than last year's squad (27-24). Forgot that we didn't really hit our groove last year until a 12/13 stretch in mid June when we improved from 36-28 to 48-29.

Amazing to think that despite a mediocre-thus-far offense, we've gotten the same results to date as the 2019 squad that featured JV and Cole neck and neck in a race for the Cy Young and a top to bottom lineup that just destroyed opposing pitchers.

Edited by Storm the Field

8 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Just looked up for reference and at 33-18 we're on the exact same pace through 51 games as 2018 and 2019 when we ended up winning 103 and 107 respectively.

We're off to a significantly better start than last year's squad (27-24). Forgot that we didn't really hit our groove last year until a 12/13 stretch in mid June when we improved from 36-28 to 48-29.

Amazing to think that despite a mediocre-thus-far offense, we've gotten the same results to date as the 2019 squad that featured JV and Cole neck and neck in a race for the Cy Young and a top to bottom lineup that just destroyed opposing pitchers.

Other than the pitching, the two biggest factors in this year’s success are 1) the near-zero drop off (if not improvement) from Correa to Peña and 2) Yordan maturing into real hitter, not just a masher.  Bodes well for the future.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Glass half empty: our schedule hasn’t exactly been murderers row so far. 6 with Toronto and 4 with Minny who are 8/9 games over. Then 7 with angels who are 4 over.

the other 34 games all against teams under .500.

Schedule stays weak the next 2 weeks against KC/Sea/Mia/Texas and figure out the offense.
then it gets fun with the Chicago/New York swing the 2nd half of the month.

4 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i assume part of that is to fix the shit from the first week of the season.

Only 1 of those. Yankees come to MMP on June 30 to make up 1 of the 3 from the beginning of the season (the other two will be a DH the Thursday of the All star break)

the other 8 were part of the original schedule. (4 game set in Yankee stadium sandwiched between the always fun 2 game series home and away agains the same team (Mets this time)…I feel we had the same (playing two 2 game series against the same team in two cities in the same week) last year against the pirates.

Edited by UTexasFight

It's crazy to me just how much our pitching is outperforming our hitting so far this season. Team BA under .230? Never would have thought. Bregman and Yuli sucking shit through a straw (except for Bregman's walk rate, which is saving his OBP) has been unexpected. I haven't checked them all, but it seems like just about everyone on the team is currently hitting under their career averages. Maybe it's the balls; maybe it is shortened spring training.

On the positive side, the awesome performance of the both starting pitchers and especially the bullpen was also unexpected (by me). Team ERA under 3, Odo performing above expectations, Verlander back to form, Montero, Stanek and Neris being so good, etc. The only dark spots in the pitching staff, to me, are Urquidy underperforming a little bit and Pressly being a little shaky.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, UTexasFight said:

Glass half empty: our schedule hasn’t exactly been murderers row so far. 6 with Toronto and 4 with Minny who are 8/9 games over. Then 7 with angels who are 4 over.

Schedule stays weak the next 2 weeks against KC/Sea/Mia/Texas and figure out the offense.

The schedule has masked our offensive woes. Our run differential is #3 in MLB, I think, but that's obviously not because we've been scoring in bunches. We'll for sure need more bats working well by the time we hit that NY gauntlet. Yuli, Alex and Kyle all starting to trend the right way would greatly ease my mind. 

Machado would probably be my most disliked player, even going back to Baltimore.

I get the Altuve hate, but I don’t. His batting style didn’t benefit from cheating, even if they were doing something.  Mofo swings at shit 6” over his head or off the plate.  He’s never been the guy trying to impress you with his batting form.

Then he hustles his ass off, plays hard, and provides leadership.

He never be beloved by non-Astro fans, but he should be.

More road games than home games, and 33 games in 34 days

Our schedule,to date, has been middle of the pack. We have the 3rd easiest SOS the rest of the way. 
We play in a shitty division and, let’s face it, there just aren’t that many good teams out there. 

9 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Our schedule,to date, has been middle of the pack. We have the 3rd easiest SOS the rest of the way. 
We play in a shitty division and, let’s face it, there just aren’t that many good teams out there. 

If bats aren’t working by end of June, changes have to be made 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

If bats aren’t working by end of June, changes have to be made 

Yeah, but what? Diaz and Dubon are no better as replacements for Bregman and Gurriel. Castro no better than Maldy. No one on the farm ready to take a spot. Only realistic hope for me is if Jake Meyers comes back and mashes and upgrades the offense at the CF spot.  From there I think we just have to hope that Bregman and Yuli somehow find themselves. I just don't see the Astros going out and getting a big bat at the trade deadline.

55 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

Yeah, but what? Diaz and Dubon are no better as replacements for Bregman and Gurriel. Castro no better than Maldy. No one on the farm ready to take a spot. Only realistic hope for me is if Jake Meyers comes back and mashes and upgrades the offense at the CF spot.  From there I think we just have to hope that Bregman and Yuli somehow find themselves. I just don't see the Astros going out and getting a big bat at the trade deadline.

firing Cintron or Snitker for starters....but that ain't happening if we keep winning no matter how shitty batting gets 

3 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

so, someone accidentally sorted the standings by run differential the other day and we were a pretty paltry +43 or something like that (only 1 better than Anaheim).  The way I remember those teams  they were fucking run differential champs and we bludgeoned teams.  This team is seems more likely to beat you 2-1 or 4-2 than 9-3 or 11-4. I could just be making this up in my mind.  This team isn't anywhere close to as good as 2019 (I didn't take it that you were saying they were btw). But the staff doesn't have any weak spots obviously, and that's going to win you a bunch of games. 

Also on schedule talk- I heard this on the radio but talk about an ass fucking from the schedule makers...

The Astros have played way more road games than home games, as we know, and even with that we still do not have a single homestand that encompasses more than 2 teams.  So, the longest we get, all season long, at home, is something like 7 or maybe 8 days depending upon off day and travel schedule and such.  That sucks.

12 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Donaldson not in the top 10 is a crime against humanity.

tucker making this list makes no sense…(other than confirming all of us from surly are also tweeting our same posts about him).

I think it is funny as hell that Odubel Herrera is high on the list.....you know that is Philly fan fucking over their own dude lol 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Also on schedule talk- I heard this on the radio but talk about an ass fucking from the schedule makers...

The Astros have played way more road games than home games, as we know, and even with that we still do not have a single homestand that encompasses more than 2 teams.  So, the longest we get, all season long, at home, is something like 7 or maybe 8 days depending upon off day and travel schedule and such.  That sucks.

That is strange.

although by moving the Philly series from the first series to the last, with off days, we are actually home for the final 10 days of the year, sep 26-oct 5 (and hopefully get a 1 or 2 seed and not have to go back on the road until ~Oct 13)
I’d rather have that than some rando 9 game homestand in May.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

That is strange.

although by moving the Philly series from the first series to the last, with off days, we are actually home for the final 10 days of the year, sep 26-oct 5 (and hopefully get a 1 or 2 seed and not have to go back on the road until ~Oct 13)
I’d rather have that than some rando 9 game homestand in May.

So, I was going off the radio guys (the A team) when I tuned into sports radio for the first time in about a year, so they might have been wrong.  Or they said "scheduled homestand". Or, they are making it all up in their head.  But yeah, that's a good time for it and a bit helpful with that getting shifted to later in the year for the last homestand.  Get that bye and the guys might recognize their spouses and neighbors by the time they pack their bags again up 2-0 in the ALDS.

Edited by Wulaw Horn

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

So, I was going off the radio guys (the A team) when I tuned into sports radio for the first time in about a year, so they might have been wrong.  Or they said "scheduled homestand". Or, they are making it all up in their head.  But yeah, that's a good time for it and a bit helpful with that getting shifted to later in the year for the last homestand.  Get that buy and the guys might recognize their spouses and neighbors by the time they pack their bags again up 2-0 in the ALDS.

No the radio guys are right. There were no scheduled 3 team home stands on the original schedule (which definitely doesn’t seem normal) and yet not 1, not 2 but 3 three city road trips (we’re in the middle of the last one now).

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

This is the case. Like 18 teams aren't even trying this season. It's a fucking joke right now, and as much as I dislike the Union, they have a winning argument with a mandatory spending floor.

41 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Donaldson not in the top 10 is a crime against humanity.

tucker making this list makes no sense…(other than confirming all of us from surly are also tweeting our same posts about him).

I thought it was hilarious he was saddened that no Yankee player came to his defense. Did you expect a team full of minorities to support your rampant racism?