2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

10 hours ago, cabowabo said:

I can accept Verlander sucking every 10 starts or so.  What I am sick of is this offense sucking giant cock day in and day out. 

They’re tied for 6th in MLB in team wRC+. And that’s with Yordan and Tucker both being fairly unlucky so far (contact quality versus results). We’ve all become accustomed to them leading MLB (and being historically good) in this category, and Bregman doesn’t seem quite right, but they haven’t been terrible (like they were for about the first two weeks of the season), they’ve actually been good offensively. We’re just used to great. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I feel like Tucker is everyone’s 7th or 9th favorite Astro.  I don’t mean that in a bad way. I think my list of top 10 favorite current Astros ranked would go:

Altuve, Yordan, JV, LMJ, Yuli, Tucker, Framber, Bregman, Javier, Brantley. 

Once Forest Whitley comes up he will automatically vault to the top of the list when he wins 3 CY Young’s in a row. 

While I don’t think Meyers is a savior, it will be nice to give someone else a shot at CF and maybe catch lightning in a bottle. 
Twitter’s not embedding but here’s the quote

From the @astros: For the first time this season, OF Jake Meyers played center field today in an extended Spring Training game at the Astros complex in West Palm Beach, FL...Meyers has been sidelined all season following offseason left shoulder surgery.

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

This team needs major help offensively. They need a real CF, 1B, and C. Bregman's struggles are only exasperated because there are 3 other holes in the offense, and Tucker and Alvarez are in mini slumps as well.

hou sports radio has been discussing we can’t have a batting line up of 7 v 9 on the opposite team 

1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

Do you assume the acs and hopefully world series opponent has 9 ?

Show me a team with 9 and I’ll agree. Look at the the 2 teams with the current best records, The Dodgers are getting little  from Turner, Bellinger or Muncy. The Yankees have Gallo, Kiner-Falefa and Rizzo dragging them down. 

To me, Bregman and Yuli will determine whether the offense is just good or great. We pretty much know what we’ll get from Altuve, Brantley, Yordan and Tucker. Pena probably won’t sustain this pace (although there is nothing fluky about his start based on the statcast data), but I think he’ll be a good offensive player.

I doubt we’ll see the ‘18-‘19 Bregman again (maybe the deadened balls are to blame), but I think he’ll continue to be a good hitter.

Yuli, I'm not so sure. There are some bad signs underlying his poor performance that aren’t there for Bregman (Ks are up, BB are down, not hitting the ball hard, etc.). Age may be catching up with him.

And the Astros haven’t had a 9-deep lineup throughout this 2015-present era of dominant offenses. There hasn’t been production from C. Most of those years the OF only started 2 good offensive players (Reddick wasn’t a very good hitter), and before 2019 (Yordan/Brantley), DH wasn’t particularly strong.

They aren’t going to be anything like 2019, but if Yuli can pick it up and be mostly what he’s been the last few seasons, the offense will be one of the best in MLB. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

Show me a team with 9 and I’ll agree. Look at the the 2 teams with the current best records, The Dodgers are getting little  from Turner, Bellinger or Muncy. The Yankees have Gallo, Kiner-Falefa and Rizzo dragging them down. 

Rizzo? Bad choice. He has a .828 OPS and a 141 OPS+, both would rank 4th on the Astros.

1 hour ago, Hank Chinaski said:

To me, Bregman and Yuli will determine whether the offense is just good or great. We pretty much know what we’ll get from Altuve, Brantley, Yordan and Tucker. Pena probably won’t sustain this pace (although there is nothing fluky about his start based on the statcast data), but I think he’ll be a good offensive player.

I doubt we’ll see the ‘18-‘19 Bregman again (maybe the deadened balls are to blame), but I think he’ll continue to be a good hitter.

Yuli, I'm not so sure. There are some bad signs underlying his poor performance that aren’t there for Bregman (Ks are up, BB are down, not hitting the ball hard, etc.). Age may be catching up with him.

And the Astros haven’t had a 9-deep lineup throughout this 2015-present era of dominant offenses. There hasn’t been production from C. Most of those years the OF only started 2 good offensive players (Reddick wasn’t a very good hitter), and before 2019 (Yordan/Brantley), DH wasn’t particularly strong.

They aren’t going to be anything like 2019, but if Yuli can pick it up and be mostly what he’s been the last few seasons, the offense will be one of the best in MLB. 

Most of Bregman's value now is him drawing walks. Which is important, but with little else, he should be batting in the bottom 3rd.

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Most of Bregman's value now is him drawing walks. Which is important, but with little else, he should be batting in the bottom 3rd.

Most of his value so far this year, yeah; he’s slugging at the lowest rate of his career. My guess is that he’ll be better from here out. His expected stats and BABIP indicate he’s had some bad luck. 

2 hours ago, Scraps said:

Some of yall are dumb as fuck.

Machete isn't on the team to hit. Get over it.

We have 3 CFs that are all just guys. None of them are amazing. One will most likely be traded for BP help at some point.

Deal with it.

We have gotten better than JAG production from CF the last year and a half. 
If we have Jake Meyers batting 8th and putting up 3 or 4 WAR that’s almost the definition of 1st world “problems”.