2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

Should have challenged. Oh well. I’m free for the next 3 hours now. Uniforms look like pajamas. Not sure the sizzle matches the flame. I wish they wore the orange socks like altuve. I’ve never like the long pants in baseball. Knee highs or stirrups should be required.
Siri is doing it.

Correa would have done it. Altuve would have done it.

Too soon
  • Hook 'Em 1

Odo should’ve never broken camp as starter in the first place; certainly not in place of a viable alternative like Javier.

He’s overpaid at any role/duty/position regardless of circumstance, why forfeit entire games just because he’s a sunk cost?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Rebuild, as we know, is a 4 to 6 year process in baseball if done effectively. I don't want to hit that button yet. 

I know this isn’t serious, and I’m not at all interested in rebuilding, obviously, but if we wanted to do it we could rebuild right now and be really good in 2 or 3 years. 
Basically you would trade JV with about $10 million, trade Yuli, trade Presley (and 15 million)  Altuve (50 million), trade Framber and LMJ if he comes back healthy ($25 million) uncle Mike  (with 8 million), trade Bregman (with $30) and you could probably get back something like 9 or 10 top 100 prospects and 20 or so interesting guys if you sent out those guys with about 140 or 150 million. 
You would then have Peña, Alvarez, Tucker, Chaz and Meyers as the backbone of the club all cheap and cost controlled for at least 3 years (more for most)

on the mound you’d have Javier, Garcia, Urquidy.  All of those guys would have at least 4 years of club control left, plus whoever you got back from trading the vets, plus your payroll would be about 45 million or so committed next year so you’d also have something like 150-175 million to spend if you wanted to. That should be able to get you a TOR hammer, 2 middle of the order thumpers and fill ins for where your prospects didn’t pop. 
Or, enough money to sign 9 middle relievers if that’s your fetish. 
note- I basically hate this idea, but You wouldn’t go through 4-6 years of rebuild if you did this now- you’d probably be wild card good next year and if you did well with the prospects you could have another run that lasts for a while. 

note- I completely hate this idea and believe this team will be just fine. But it’s an interesting thought experiment.  

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Please don’t hit the crack pipe and post 😂😂

start an experimental baseball thread, please 

I mean, if you want to grip over every pitch in game 13 of an Odorizi start where he shit the bed and we are having it shoved up our ass by Ohtani that’s fine, I just don’t have any interest in that and Greenspointed this game with “ballgame” about 7 batters into the first inning. I’m going to go out on a limb and assume they don’t throw a perfect game at us. 

1 hour ago, WBT said:

Lulz.  We still win the division by 5+

Um, no.  Zero guarantee of that, and just making the playoffs shouldn't be our goal.  Unfortunately that seems to be exactly Click's measuring stick, rather than actually being able to win a title. 

Is he the only person that thought Odo would be a quality starter?  Injuries are going to happen.  Reminds me of the hedge fund strategies of doing just enough to optimize when things are good, but little capacity to handle disruption.  A crapload of mediocrity backups on this roster.  I'm not sure copying the TB strategy gets us back to an ALCS.

I could be way wrong, and it's only April.  April and May are when you figure out what you really have, adjust, find your groove, and then make a list of upgrades you can trade for.  Maybe he'll surprise me, his pitchers overperformed in last year's playoffs.  But my gut says Click is going to blow it.

This team feels a lot like the 2006 Astros, which began probably the least interesting or entertaining era of Astros baseball in my lifetime (2006-2011).

Both coming off WS loss. Alvarez is Berkman, Verlander is Clemens, Bregman is Ensberg, old Altuve is old Biggio, Framber is old Pettite, Pressley is bad Lidge, Machete/Ausmus, Yuli is kinda like Mike Lamb, Chas is Jason Lane, etc. This team has Tucker and Pena, that team had Oswalt - I think that’s the difference. Neither seems to have any real difference-makers on the farm (maybe Leon is comparable to Hunter Pence in a couple of years). And whatever that bullshit uniform they wore today was, it was the worst they’ve looked aesthetically since those goddamned imbeciles decided to be red and black with pinstripes (as they were in 06).

That team went 82-80; I expect this one to go 83-79 (+/- 3 games).

• Rage+1 1

13 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

This team feels a lot like the 2006 Astros, which began probably the least interesting or entertaining era of Astros baseball in my lifetime (2006-2011).

Both coming off WS loss. Alvarez is Berkman, Verlander is Clemens, Bregman is Ensberg, old Altuve is old Biggio, Framber is old Pettite, Pressley is bad Lidge, Machete/Ausmus, Yuli is kinda like Mike Lamb, Chas is Jason Lane, etc. This team has Tucker and Pena, that team had Oswalt - I think that’s the difference. Neither seems to have any real difference-makers on the farm (maybe Leon is comparable to Hunter Pence in a couple of years). And whatever that bullshit uniform they wore today was, it was the worst they’ve looked aesthetically since those goddamned imbeciles decided to be red and black with pinstripes (as they were in 06).

That team went 82-80; I expect this one to go 83-79 (+/- 3 games).

I really hope you are wrong.