2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

2 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

This team feels a lot like the 2006 Astros, which began probably the least interesting or entertaining era of Astros baseball in my lifetime (2006-2011).

Both coming off WS loss. Alvarez is Berkman, Verlander is Clemens, Bregman is Ensberg, old Altuve is old Biggio, Framber is old Pettite, Pressley is bad Lidge, Machete/Ausmus, Yuli is kinda like Mike Lamb, Chas is Jason Lane, etc. This team has Tucker and Pena, that team had Oswalt - I think that’s the difference. Neither seems to have any real difference-makers on the farm (maybe Leon is comparable to Hunter Pence in a couple of years). And whatever that bullshit uniform they wore today was, it was the worst they’ve looked aesthetically since those goddamned imbeciles decided to be red and black with pinstripes (as they were in 06).

That team went 82-80; I expect this one to go 83-79 (+/- 3 games).

52FBE714-C5DF-46FE-99FA-EDE815F962A4.gif.3f7f13877ab30bf32914456b9e08957e.gif

• Like 1

Completely understand where Hank is coming from. Its easy to see the similarities. Hope that's not the case but as a lifer houston sports fan you know the downward trend is approaching. If they continue the .500 trend, the bandwagon will be a hell of a lot lighter in August. Losing Luhnhow was the worst.

• Like 2

I think we are going to struggle this weekend as well because Toronto can hit the ball and we apparently can't.....but friends just remember on the horizon is our slumpbuster....our fix of all things bad....our breakout the wood and tee off on....our oprah of giving out baseball hits to everyone on the team....the Texas Rangers 

• Hook 'Em 2

Y’all overreacting.  There’s going to be concerns every day about Altuve, Gurriel, and Brantley falling off a cliff because they are on the wrong side of the aging curve.  But seeing what Pena and McCormick/Siri are doing mitigates that risk a TON.  Tucker has had nothing but bad luck.  Bregman looks like he’s going to be fine.  Alvarez is a fucking monster.

There are also going to be concerns about Framber/Garcia/Urquidy because they have not shown the ability to consistently perform like playoff-caliber SP, but that is also mitigated by the Astros pitching depth; Hunter Brown and Peter Solomon have looked extremely good in the early going, and Lance should be back in July.  Odorizzi and Baez both have HIV but the bullpen otherwise has looked very good.  Javier, Montero, Neris, and Maton have been elite so far.

Of course it’d be better if they’d won 2-3 more games to this point.  But they still project to win the division as-is, and they should have significant financial flexibility to add at the deadline.

(That said, at this point this team is overly dependent on Verlander.  If he gets hurt they’re fucked.)

Edited by Snake Diggity

I'm not ready to hit the panic button just yet. I do not believe we will continue to slash .199/.282/.355 all season. Javier needs to replace Odorizzi. Altuve needs to get healthy. As longs as JV stays healthy and LMJ can come back for the second half, we will be fine and likely win the division. We should get some contribution from Hunter Brown at some point this season as well. If he can provide us solid starts in the 4-5 spot, we will be in great shape. 

I think Odorizzi should not throw another meaningful pitch for the Astros, but we are likely stuck with him for now. He and Baez are sunk costs and should be treated as such. I believe Baez will be gone when rosters go down to 26. Odorizzi will be around longer unfortunately.

Edited by Seasick Sailor
  • Hook 'Em 3

I feel like you all are forgetting the fact that Forest Whitley is going to ride to the rescue in early July and clown all of MLB to the tune of 12-0 record with a 0.72 era down the home stretch, before taking the ball and going 4-0 in the playoffs.  Between he and JV we will win every game they start on the way to a Fo, Fo, Fo in the LDS, LCS and WS (the Rays will get a game off LMJ in the LDS. It is what it is)

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I do not believe we will continue to slash .199/.282/.355 all season. 

Yes. Here are the differences between wOBA and expected wOBA so far (based on contact quality):

Tucker: -.228 (second-largest negative difference in MLB)

Maldonado: -.162

Yordan: -.092

Brantley: -.088

Yuli: -.037

Altuve: -.027

Pena: -.022

Siri: -.021

Bregman: +.022

So basically the entire lineup outside of Bregman has results that fall short of what should be expected based on how hard/frequently they’re hitting the ball. Tucker to an extreme degree - he “should” have elite numbers right now (.417 wOBA,  about the same as Vlad Guerrero Jr had last year), but instead his production has been replacement level. (Interestingly, Tucker went through this for about the first 6 weeks of last season too.) As a team, they have a .221 BABIP, 29th in MLB. 

So yeah, they’ve been almost freakishly unlucky offensively. 

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I feel like you all are forgetting the fact that Forest Whitley is going to ride to the rescue in early July and clown all of MLB to the tune of 12-0 record with a 0.72 era down the home stretch, before taking the ball and going 4-0 in the playoffs.  Between he and JV we will win every game they start on the way to a Fo, Fo, Fo in the LDS, LCS and WS (the Rays will get a game off LMJ in the LDS. It is what it is)

4/20 was yesterday bruh

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Yes. Here are the differences between wOBA and expected wOBA so far (based on contact quality):

Tucker: -.228 (second-largest negative difference in MLB)

Maldonado: -.162

Yordan: -.092

Brantley: -.088

Yuli: -.037

Altuve: -.027

Pena: -.022

Siri: -.021

Bregman: +.022

So basically the entire lineup outside of Bregman has results that fall short of what should be expected based on how hard/frequently they’re hitting the ball. Tucker to an extreme degree - he “should” have elite numbers right now (.417 wOBA,  about the same as Vlad Guerrero Jr had last year), but instead his production has been replacement level. (Interestingly, Tucker went through this for about the first 6 weeks of last season too.) As a team, they have a .221 BABIP, 29th in MLB. 

So yeah, they’ve been almost freakishly unlucky offensively. 

Altuve and Yuli are the only two scaring me so far, particularly Yuli.  Bregman is doing ok but I honestly don't think that power is ever coming back and he's simply gonna be a really good but not elite player moving forward.

Okay, fellas.

We started 6-4 without even playing that well.  .600 baseball gets you 97 wins.

Then we lost a couple in a row.  It's just small sample variance, and that goes for a lot of our offensive struggles, as was pointed out above.  The bats will be fine.

Plus, there's every reason to believe that this front office will do something before the deadline to improve the team.

We're gonna win 90+ and be in the playoffs again.  Nothing is over.  

I just want to know who gets an off day, because you know 1 wasn't enough 2 weeks into the season.  Baseball is sooooo strenuous it makes pussy's hurt. 

I am guessing Yuli sits today because fuck it why not.  

Edited by Scraps

25 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Machete hit his 10 years 

Good for him.  That's awesome. He's not eligible to be voted into the HOF and he gets his full pension which is big time. I think it's a milestone that gets hit by like less than 10% of players.

Maybe he could celebrate that tonight with a base knock. He seems to be allowed 1 per week and he hasn't had his hit yet this week, so fingers crossed.