2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

16 minutes ago, Scraps said:
22 minutes ago, kevwun said:
For a few games until he ends up on the DL.

Yeah get ready for 2 months of Niko time

I saw it and immediately said hammy- 2 months. He’s getting older. He needs to be ready and then take another 2 weeks after that. 
If only we had Robles. 

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Day to day?  Astros are so absurd with injury stuff. 

They only held Yordan out 3 games for non-covid.  And he only hit 2 homers tonight so they probably should have held him another series to be sure.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, WBT said:

Lulz, day to day.  Even money between him and LMJ on who gets back first.  O/u the ASG for both.

Yeah- I am hoping for LMJ before the trade deadline. If you gave me him and Altuve both first game after the all star break fully healthy I’d take it, no doubt. 

How is Pedro Leon doing in AAA?  If he can play SS he can play second imo. Not super excited about Goodrum getting much time at all- I’d like to see someone that has at least a slight chance at being a good everyday player out there and he seems like the only guy outside of Lee that we might view as on the kind of level as potentially being a good MLB regular in our farm system in the upper levels. Not counting pitchers, obviously. 

9 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

How is Pedro Leon doing in AAA?  If he can play SS he can play second imo. Not super excited about Goodrum getting much time at all- I’d like to see someone that has at least a slight chance at being a good everyday player out there and he seems like the only guy outside of Lee that we might view as on the kind of level as potentially being a good MLB regular in our farm system in the upper levels. Not counting pitchers, obviously. 

Leon is hitting .226/.385/.387 in AAA and is striking out in 36% of his PAs. He’s not ready. 

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Thanks. 
That’s a disappointing start as he had a pretty good spring training. 

I mean, it’s only 8 games. I think I’ve read that K% and BB% start to level out at about 100 PAs (Leon has 39). We’ll see where he is in a couple more weeks, but he’s been over 30% K rate in AA and AAA. But he’s only been in MiLB for a year, and he’s got the tools to be a contributor even if he just trims the Ks a little bit. I just don’t expect him to be an option this season. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I mean, it’s only 8 games. I think I’ve read that K% and BB% start to level out at about 100 PAs (Leon has 39). We’ll see where he is in a couple more weeks, but he’s been over 30% K rate in AA and AAA. But he’s only been in MiLB for a year, and he’s got the tools to be a contributor even if he just trims the Ks a little bit. I just don’t expect him to be an option this season. 

Sure. 

It's my concern with Siri as well- a 35% K rate is just really hard to sustain and be a plus player, and typically you don't see a decrease in K's as the levels get harder.   I saw a lot of people had him projected to be ready to go by the middle of the year on the more optimistic side so I'm not giving up hope altogether for this year, but it would be nice if we didn't have to see him this year.  

If Goodrum is going to be terrible though I think I'd like to give Leon at least one shot to sink or swim in the majors and check in for a couple weeks.  So, I would think June 1 re-asses depending upon how long Altuve is out (the news sounded good but then again Meyers and LMJ were day to day during the playoffs allegedly and still aren't close to back) what Goodrum is doing and what Leon is doing in AAA.

It's funny, I think I predicted 97 or 98 wins for the Astros and said we would coast to the division and win easily.  And then, we come out of the gate and start 6-4 and only have a 1/2 game lead on first place and it feels like the walls or caving in and everything sucks.

Then, you do the math and figure out we are on pace to win the divsion by 8 games or so and finish with a record of 97.2 wins and 64.8 losses and think- is this what a ~100 win team cruising to the division title really looks like.  Baseball is really funny that way.

6-4 doesn't seem special. But do it during every 2 week segment and you are a great team.

6 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Based on xBA and xSLG stats, Tucker has been very unlucky so far. He’ll be fine. 

That's what you were saying last April and we see how THAT turned out Mr. Smart guy.  Oh.  Wait.  Yeah.  Tucker will probably be just fine.  

Also- if they ban the shift he's going to make a run at Ted Williams 406 batting average in '23.

20 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

It's funny, I think I predicted 97 or 98 wins for the Astros and said we would coast to the division and win easily.  And then, we come out of the gate and start 6-4 and only have a 1/2 game lead on first place and it feels like the walls or caving in and everything sucks.

Then, you do the math and figure out we are on pace to win the divsion by 8 games or so and finish with a record of 97.2 wins and 64.8 losses and think- is this what a ~100 win team cruising to the division title really looks like.  Baseball is really funny that way.

6-4 doesn't seem special. But do it during every 2 week segment and you are a great team.

Plus Tucker and Altuve haven’t started hitting yet, Yordan has missed half the games, Meyers (who may be the best CF the org has) hasn’t played yet, etc.