Global Spring?

Immaculate Vibes

Sudan.

UNITED NATIONS/CAIRO, Jan 19 (Reuters) - Between 10,000 and 15,000 people were killed in one city in Sudan's West Darfur region last year in ethnic violence by the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) and allied Arab militia, according to a United Nations report seen by Reuters on Friday.
In the report to the U.N. Security Council, independent U.N. sanctions monitors attributed the toll in El Geneina to intelligence sources and contrasted it with the U.N. estimate that about 12,000 people have been killed across Sudan since war erupted on April 15, 2023, between the Sudanese army and the RSF.

• Rage+1 1

On 1/18/2024 at 1:35 PM, Bender Bending Rodriguez said:

Its fucked. Best friend lives there. Not in a nice ExPat part of town. Working to get him and his kids out. And no, they wont be walking to Eagle Pass.

He is a Texas Ex who decided to go live down there, met a chick, yadda yadda yadda.

Rough times. Won't get better anytime soon.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/20/2024 at 9:29 PM, InkaUtexas said:

Its fucked. Best friend lives there. Not in a nice ExPat part of town. Working to get him and his kids out. And no, they wont be walking to Eagle Pass.

He is a Texas Ex who decided to go live down there, met a chick, yadda yadda yadda.

where in Ecuador?

I was seriously considering moving there in 2018. did the usual inspection in Cuenca but also went along the coast - mid to north. From what I understand that entire coastal area is now turbo fucked as the drugs make their way from Colombia through north central Ecuador to Guayakillyourass and other parts of the coast. Well, Guayaquil was always pretty fucked but sucks so much of an otherwise safe places is so much worse now. Makes me dam sad. 

15 hours ago, staboner said:

where in Ecuador?

I was seriously considering moving there in 2018. did the usual inspection in Cuenca but also went along the coast - mid to north. From what I understand that entire coastal area is now turbo fucked as the drugs make their way from Colombia through north central Ecuador to Guayakillyourass and other parts of the coast. Well, Guayaquil was always pretty fucked but sucks so much of an otherwise safe places is so much worse now. Makes me dam sad. 

Guayaquil. Wants to move to Cuenca, but wants his daughters to finish HS before he moves.

• Hook 'Em 1

Papua New Guinea saying Holla.

At least 64 people have died in an ambush in Papua New Guinea's remote Highlands region.

The victims were shot dead during a tribal dispute in the Enga province over the weekend, a national police spokesman told the BBC.

The Highlands area has long struggled with violence, but these killings are believed to be the worst in years.

An influx of illegal firearms have made clashes more deadly and fuelled a cycle of violence.

Police started collecting bodies at the scene near the town of Wabag - roughly 600km (373 miles) northwest of the capital Port Moresby.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-68302051

• Rage+1 2

• 2 weeks later...

Haiti being Haiti. The 1000 Kenyan cops supposedly going in are in for a rough time.

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti (AP) — At least three people have been killed and hundreds of inmates have fled Haiti’s main prison after armed gangs stormed the facility overnight.

The jailbreak marks a new low in Haiti’s downward spiral of violence and comes as gangs assert greater control on the capital while the embattled Prime Minister Ariel Henry is abroad trying to win support for a United Nations-backed security force to stabilize the country.

On Sunday morning, the bodies of three people containing gunshot wounds could be seen lying on the ground at the prison’s entrance, which was wide open, with no guards in sight. Officers inside a single police car stationed outside the facility would not say what happened.

https://apnews.com/article/haiti-prison-break-2788f145b0d26efc2aa199e923724e0f

• Rage+1 1

Well shit... And this is where the Kenyans would probably be based. There is a large, unused camp at the airport. If the gangs take this facility, its over. Expect a massive migration out of the island as we have seen in the past.

Gangs in Haiti try to seize control of main airport in newest attack on key government sites

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti (AP) — Heavily armed gangs tried to seize control of Haiti’s main international airport on Monday, exchanging gunfire with police and soldiers in the latest attack on key government sites in an explosion of violence that includes a mass escape from the country’s prisons.

The Toussaint Louverture International Airport was closed when the attack occurred, with no planes operating and no passengers on site.

Associated Press journalists saw an armored truck on the tarmac shooting at gangs to try and prevent them from entering airport grounds as scores of employees and other workers fled from whizzing bullets.

It is the biggest attack on the airport in Haiti’s history.

• Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Well shit... And this is where the Kenyans would probably be based. There is a large, unused camp at the airport. If the gangs take this facility, its over. Expect a massive migration out of the island as we have seen in the past.

Gangs in Haiti try to seize control of main airport in newest attack on key government sites

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti (AP) — Heavily armed gangs tried to seize control of Haiti’s main international airport on Monday, exchanging gunfire with police and soldiers in the latest attack on key government sites in an explosion of violence that includes a mass escape from the country’s prisons.

The Toussaint Louverture International Airport was closed when the attack occurred, with no planes operating and no passengers on site.

Associated Press journalists saw an armored truck on the tarmac shooting at gangs to try and prevent them from entering airport grounds as scores of employees and other workers fled from whizzing bullets.

but how are the beaches?

2 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

This was a potential project there. Similar to what Carnival did in the Bay Islands, etc.

https://www.staugustine.com/story/news/2014/08/05/carnival-plans-build-cruise-port-haiti/16108104007/

That sounds like a lost $70M. Maybe in 2014 it was safe, but I can't imagine being on the business development team thinking it was a good idea to invest $70M through the Haitian government. I could be wrong on the years, but I remember having a Haitian patient who was a tough security guard who went back there to visit family in 2016 and had to use his gun.

Just now, Bevo said:

That sounds like a lost $70M. Maybe in 2014 it was safe, but I can't imagine being on the business development team thinking it was a good idea to invest $70M through the Haitian government. I could be wrong on the years, but I remember having a Haitian patient who was a tough security guard who went back there to visit family in 2016 and had to use his gun.

It was not safe, but this is an island off the coast. Shit, Honduras is not safe, but cruise ships stop there all the time.

I would not be surprised if we deployed troops there. Could be the Marine QRF to secure the embassy, a group to secure the port, or even the 82nd to secure the airport. The gangs are very strong, well armed and give zero fucks.

There is an international police force going in. Kenya, Benin, Jamaica and some other Caribbean nations. They could easily get their shit pushed in. That would require an international "rescue" group. Probably the US, Canada and France would participate.

Our commitment to the international force is 200M for 1 year. They are not going to do anything in 1 year.

• Hook 'Em 2

55 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

I'm glad they clarified that.   I mean, we all know how often their airport is attacked.

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

This was a potential project there. Similar to what Carnival did in the Bay Islands, etc.

https://www.staugustine.com/story/news/2014/08/05/carnival-plans-build-cruise-port-haiti/16108104007/

there's a long story on this on, got blocked by a Texas investor who had already been given a 99-lease a month to develop the land from a prior dictator... he died a month later but his son fought to keep it in place...threats, deaths, political sabatage... lots on that story. Needless to say Carnival looks to have potentially dodged a bullet

Edited by MonkeyDoughnut

On 1/20/2024 at 4:29 AM, InkaUtexas said:

I did a Det out of Manta back in 2000.  The place was interesting back then. 

55 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Haiti is fucking going off.  Apparently Barbecue’s men are battling “Death Has No Appointed Time” and his army of 400 Simpletons.  No word who is most shiny and chrome.

image.thumb.jpeg.2937980e0563bfb86dc9e747264f6156.jpeg

Dibs on "400 Mawozo" as my gangster rap band name.

7 minutes ago, Boss Hogg said:

Evidently this Barbecue guy is a cannibal? Maybe that's just being spread for fear but it’s out there. 

ELI5 Why the fuck is Haiti such a failed state shitshow compared to anywhere else in the Caribbean?

If my memory is correct it all started after a devastating earthquake in 1995.

The government couldn't handle any relief efforts so the gangs stepped in.

On 3/7/2024 at 6:12 PM, InkaUtexas said:

Yep, shit is real. Speak with friends there almost daily. The gangs hit the port to today which is where the majority of the aid comes in. like 90%. All ops are stopped.

Didn't you just tell me that I should go vacation there?

JK But, you did say that you are doing working in Haiti. Hopefully, you are staying stateside.

18 minutes ago, Boss Hogg said:

ELI5 Why the fuck is Haiti such a failed state shitshow compared to anywhere else in the Caribbean?

A lot of the Caribbean is becoming a shit show. No where like Haiti, but Jamaica, St. Vincent, Trinidad, Dominican Republic, and St. Kitts all have travel warnings.

33 minutes ago, Boss Hogg said:

Evidently this Barbecue guy is a cannibal? Maybe that's just being spread for fear but it’s out there. 

Because every colony the French touched, they left a complete shitshow.  The Spanish aren't much better, but at least most of their former colonies are functioning countries.  Same with the Dutch.  I am 100% against colonization and in no way apologizing for what my Iberian and German ancestors did.  But the French can go ahead and shut the fuck up about diplomacy and human rights.  Haiti, Sudan, Guiana, Syria, Senegal, Cambodia, et. al.  There's nothing they can't fuck up and then lecture us about.  They're the fucking A&M of Colonial Empires.  The one thing they got right is Quebec and that's only because the rest of Canada pitched in to help.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, YGIFS said:

Because every colony the French touched, they left a complete shitshow.  The Spanish aren't much better, but at least most of their former colonies are functioning countries.  Same with the Dutch.  I am 100% against colonization and in no way apologizing for what my Iberian and German ancestors did.  But the French can go ahead and shut the fuck up about diplomacy and human rights.  Haiti, Sudan, Guiana, Syria, Senegal, Cambodia, et. al.  There's nothing they can't fuck up and then lecture us about.  They're the fucking A&M of Colonial Empires.  The one thing they got right is Quebec and that's only because the rest of Canada pitched in to help.  

Vietnam says hai. 

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Because every colony the French touched, they left a complete shitshow.   

Yup

image.png.3134850f3f868852a94c7ac164f93e18.png

Also Haiti was a pariah state for a long time because they were blacks that rebelled against their colonial masters, and it hurt more than just the feelings of the French.

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

Shit, didn't even remember to add Louisiana and Civil Code.  France-only country to lose WWII twice.  

The French influence on Texas was actually a net positive, but I still find it amazing that in all the places I've lived in the United States and abroad, you don't meet many French citizens.  I literally know just one French guy in Austin.  But I know hundreds of ex-pats from other countries.  And the first time we met, I told him about my heritage.  And he goes on and on about Spanish/Portuguese colonialism.  And how evil we are/were.  Granted, it's an embarrassing legacy.  But I had to call him out on his shit and he got all conspiracy-oriented and defensive like the fables of French colonialism are exaggerated by historians and it's all a myth meant to undercut the French posture as a nation of statesmanship and morals.  It was like listening to the Parisian version of Aaron Rodgers.  He tries to trip me up and asks what the three languages of every Olympics are.  I replied the native language of the host country, English, and French.  After he was surprised this stupid American knew this, he decries it's because of France's position in the world.  And I said, "Yes, I'm sure the people of Haiti are really comforted by that interesting trivia tid-bit."  We don't talk much anymore.  

Okay, back to Global Spring.  I remember years ago when people started questioning why we were ramping up our Naval spending and fleet expansion.  And I'm biased coming from 3 generations of Sailors, but here it fucking is.  

Edited by YGIFS
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

Didn't you just tell me that I should go vacation there?

JK But, you did say that you are doing working in Haiti. Hopefully, you are staying stateside.

I did not say you should go. I said there are nice places. I am not going in. If anything maybe the Dominican Republic to monitor and support. Hell, I don't know anyone going in. Even the Church is pulling people out.

The reasons for Haiti's failure are many. It truly is a failed state and I do not think you can just blame the French. Not one of our interventions, and there have been a few, resulted in meaningful change. The UN deployment was a shsit show. Not only did they do little, they brought in Cholera.

Concerning the planned deployment of international police. They are going to get hammered in the slums if they try and go in. And they have to. I expect a mass exodus and already seeing reports we might use Gitmo to house them.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Yup

image.png.3134850f3f868852a94c7ac164f93e18.png

Also Haiti was a pariah state for a long time because they were blacks that rebelled against their colonial masters, and it hurt more than just the feelings of the French.

Yep, exactly. No Latin American nation will back them up. I like Haiti. The food is good, home to my favorite rum, and people are pretty nice considering their lot in life.

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

A lot of the Caribbean is becoming a shit show. No where like Haiti, but Jamaica, St. Vincent, Trinidad, Dominican Republic, and St. Kitts all have travel warnings.

Not saying there might not be real concerns, but if you look at some travel warnings we could likely issue the same for most cities in the US.  As some areas in all of them require you to be more careful.

4 minutes ago, ABSR said:

Not saying there might not be real concerns, but if you look at some travel warnings we could likely issue the same for most cities in the US.  As some areas in all of them require you to be more careful.

I would be for it just for the lots of laughs. And I agree with you although a lot of those places are like going to the south side of Chicago not Highland Park or for Houstonians, the Fifth Ward not the Woodlands.

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Belgium and King Leopold have entered the chat. There weren't as many games on their schedule but man, did they work hard to run up the score.

• Hook 'Em 2