The NBA Finals- Warriors vs Cavs

Goo Punch

How was the "game"? Haven't watched since game 6 Rockets.

All they are talking about on the sports show is TT getting thrown out of the game for playing defense on a meaningless shot after the game was over. Then baited into "scuffle" with the Warriors/refs. Lol the NBA is complete trash now it's hilarious.

Haha reading this thread I'm getting the refs were MVP again 3 strait warrior wins?

Edited by Sidney Sherman

33 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

The part that makes it funny to me is that there are dozens of calls in an NBA game that are incorrect. It's 10 huge fast athletes being watched by three guys who are usually old. That leads to incorrect and missed calls.

Meanwhile people are in here arguing one of the demonstrably correct calls.

WTF? We've got a situation where Tristan Thompson may miss a game with the root cause being a horrific phantom elbow flagrant 2 being called. That's actually also the root cause for people wondering about Kevin Love's status too.

But y'all want to talk about the call that was made correctly.

thats exactly why I used the NFL as an example and you still think its "hilarious"

they literally changed the entire script of a game on a judgement call-one that can go both ways. For casual sports fans like me with no real rooting interest, seeing that it was changed  against a huge underdog who was  winning at the time, it just throws an egg on the entire series which sucks.

Im probably 60-40 saying it was a block, in slow mo replay because Im pretty sure lebrons legs were established but he leaned into Durant more maybe to protect himself. Im probably 80-20 saying it was a charge in heat of the moment, regular pace action.

Hell you can watch the ref Ken Mauer at the top of the screen, who had the best view of the play on the under the hoop, immediately go into a "charge position" but hesitated to make the call before looking at his buddy ref who was outside of the picture who made the call  charge call before going to the monitors.

thats 2 refs who called charge and none saw a block until going to the monitors

Edited by MNLonghornFUKM
  • Like 1

Lol if they can't even rig the games believably they may need to do some training with the pro wrasslin league. 

How could they go to the monitors to overturn a charge into a block anyway? Cant they only review if they thought it was restricted area or not? 

Edited by Sidney Sherman

48 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

lulz

This is also wrong. What a clown show on this thread.

The debatable portion they have a right to bitch about is how in the hell the officials were unsure regarding James' presence in the restricted area. That was silly.

Lulz.  This confirms exactly what you quoted and lulzed.  

Just now, BigVegasHorn26 said:

At the end of the day, the right call was made.  It wasn't a charge - Lebron slid under him.  

Also, wake me when they call a push off on Lebron or an offensive foul for any of the many times he lowers his shoulder and plows through a defender.  

What about all the other calls that were wrong that weren't fixed?   Bad calls happen.   I'm good with that.    "Fixing" one in that time/situation and not fixing the others is the problem I have.

• Like 1

It's a judgment call only in terms of human perception. The rule clearly states that if you haven't established position before the shooter begins his upward motion then you haven't beaten him to the spot. It's 100% a block. Durant actually began his upward motion at this moment:

UFQCUas.png

As for being allowed to overturn judgment calls I have zero issue with that in any sport if it's allowed in the rules. And in this case it's allowed in the rules to review that aspect of the play if they've gone to the monitor. That part of the call was absurd, James was clearly not in the restricted area even watching live, but that's the rule. In fact I thought they were going to come up with some lame excuse about how they got confused by Jeff Green's feet being near the restricted area.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

thats exactly why I used the NFL as an example and you still think its "hilarious"

they literally changed the entire script of a game on a judgement call-one that can go both ways. For casual sports fans like me with no real rooting interest, seeing that it was changed  against a huge underdog who was  winning at the time, it just throws an egg on the entire series which sucks.

Im probably 60-40 saying it was a block, in slow mo replay because Im pretty sure lebrons legs were established but he leaned into Durant more maybe to protect himself. Im probably 80-20 saying it was a charge in heat of the moment, regular pace action.

Hell you can watch the ref Ken Mauer at the top of the screen, who had the best view of the play on the under the hoop, immediately go into a "charge position" but hesitated to make the call before looking at his buddy ref who was outside of the picture who made the call  charge call before going to the monitors.

I'm working off memory,  but it seemed like Mauer was confused or thought it was a block.  He then deferred to the charge call, they then met and discussed, and a review followed.  

2 minutes ago, BigVegasHorn26 said:

At the end of the day, the right call was made.  It wasn't a charge - Lebron slid under him.  

Also, wake me when they call a push off on Lebron or an offensive foul for any of the many times he lowers his shoulder and plows through a defender.  

Lebron fouls defenders a lot (clearly shoved Livingston out of the way on the way to one of his dunks). But he also gets fouled a lot with nothing called. When you're that big and strong that's the way it is. Shouldn't be, but it is. So I don't really have a problem with it when he gets away with contact because he has to deal with it more than nearly any other player.

Just now, d2o said:

What about all the other calls that were wrong that weren't fixed?   Bad calls happen.   I'm good with that.    "Fixing" one in that time/situation and not fixing the others is the problem I have.

Well there is a rule that explicitly allows certain plays to be reviewed at certain points in the game. If they allowed reviews and reversals for all 48 minutes of a game then people would bitch about that instead.

1 minute ago, BigVegasHorn26 said:

I'm working off memory,  but it seemed like Mauer was confused or thought it was a block.  He then deferred to the charge call, they then met and discussed, and a review followed.  

It seems as if they used the review to settle their disagreement on the floor.  Using the restricted area as an excuse to do so.   He was very clearly not in the restricted area.   That is not what the review rule was designed for.

• Like 1

that play is whistled a blocking foul 99% of the time.  (despite how it fits the official rule).  

there are other instances to rail against officiating - like how golden state is never called for their LOVE of holding/grabbing/pulling when setting their screens.  

but not that particular play...wrong hill to die on

Just now, 52-80 said:

there are other instances to rail against officiating - like how golden state is never called for their LOVE of holding/grabbing/pulling when setting their screens.  

Yep, but another issue is the moving screens committed by every big in the entire league when trying to dictate the matchup. They'll get still for the initial contact of the screen and then grab/push the smaller defender toward the lane so they can't decline the switch.

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Hahaha. He completely ignores that James is still sliding left when Durant leaves the ground. That is a blocking foul and it's not even debatable.

That's fine, but to overturn a judgement call on a replay where you're reviewing whether he's in the restricted area - not whether the call is a block or a charge - is pretty garbage.

• Like 1

It's like the Tuck rule all over again. The ruling was ultimately made correctly...but the rule probably shouldn't exist in the first place. 

Hard to feel sorry for a team though that subsequently fouled Steph for an and-1 up 2, missed a game-winning free throw, and did whatever it was JR did.

2 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

That's fine, but to overturn a judgement call on a replay where you're reviewing whether he's in the restricted area - not whether the call is a block or a charge - is pretty garbage.

They have a script to follow. The rules dont matter because most of the fans dont know the details on the rules, they can do whatever they want.

1527862964486_sp.jpg

They didn't go by the rule as an excuse to overturn the call in favor of GSW. Huge suprise.

Just like they waved off a 3 Harden made while getting fouled in game 7. Its so obvious they just call the game however they need to for the desired outcome.

4th annual Lebron vs. GSW finals is off to a great start. I'm sure Draymond will be reprimanded for constantly playing dirty and running his mouth.

screen_shot_2016-12-02_at_10.31.10_am.pn

• Like 1

If there was uncertainty about whether or not LeBron was in the lane on that play, then they're going to have to look at every 19'+ jumper to determine if it should be a 3 or not (because they can). In the name of getting it right. And to really assure that they get it right, rulebook should allow for all of those reviews to assess legality of everything else happening on court during that play.

That a replay occurred on that play is a total fucking joke

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Sidney Sherman said:

Just like they waved off a 3 Harden made while getting fouled in game 7. Its so obvious they just call the game however they need to for the desired outcome.

4th annual Lebron vs. GSW finals is off to a great start. I'm sure Draymond will be reprimanded for constantly playing dirty and running his mouth.

getoverit.jpg

That was an all-timer. Still trying to process what happened in those last few minutes of regulation.  I was pretty meh about this series going in, but that was amazing drama last night. I just hope that the Cavs didn't blow their load last night and get run out of the gym the rest of the series. The best thing that could have happened last night for a long, competitive series was the Cavs winning game 1. That would have put everybody on notice. But alas... the comedy of errors down the stretch punctuated by JR Smith. Geezus.

Some other random thoughts:

1. I don't know what more you could say about Lebron, he was spectacular. The gulf between him and whoever is the second best player in the world is huge. 

2. Fucking Tony Brothers. I can't believe he is employed as a NBA ref at all, but i's unfathomable that the league lets him officiate playoff games, much less the NBA Finals. He's been the worst ref in the league by a wide margin ever since Luis Grillo retired. He's an abortion. As soon as I saw his ugly mug in the first quarter, I knew that there would be a shitshow from the officials and they didn't disappoint.

3. The Warriors are so unlikable. It's irritating enough that they have accumulated so much talent, but for them to act like such bitches is so unnecessary. They take their cue from Draymond and he's honestly one of the biggest jackasses I've ever seen on a basketball court. I always liked Thompson because he never acted like a tool, but even he went into douchebag mode last night. 

4. There were some interesting things going on defensively. I'm not sure the Warriors need to switch everything against Cleveland like they did Houston. To me, they are better off blitzing the pick and letting someone besides Lebron beat you. Take your chances with those other clowns shooting threes instead of watching Curry get abused off the dribble.

The idea that defenders can't lean towards a player driving to the hoop is just laughable. It's part of the game, and how you make their shot tougher. James was in position before KD left the floor, and it should have been a charge. Turnover, no 2 points for GS, Cavs ball with 36 seconds and the lead. That should have been the end of it.

The mere fact they had to check to see if he was in the restricted zone is erroneous. 

Honestly that was the easiest call any of us at home could see with the naked eye at full speed. But hey while you're checking it out...now we can suddenly reverse a a judgement call UNDER 2 minutes in the 4th because that matters so much more than 6:16 left in the second qtr

• Haha 1

Pretty hard to leave the ground before you start your upward shooting motion. Maybe the NBA doesn't know what their own rule is. Or maybe Jay Williams is wrong. Could go either way.

your upward movement starts as soon as you pick the ball up off the floor and your body starts toward the basket.  

lulz

This is also wrong. What a clown show on this thread.

The debatable portion they have a right to bitch about is how in the hell the officials were unsure regarding James' presence in the restricted area. That was silly.

edit: originally was responding to your confusion regarding the difference between the trigger for a review and after they DO go to review what they can review.  but i think you've figured it out now.

Edited by gsoda3

15 minutes ago, Sidney Sherman said:

They have a script to follow. The rules dont matter because most of the fans dont know the details on the rules, they can do whatever they want.

1527862964486_sp.jpg

They didn't go by the rule as an excuse to overturn the call in favor of GSW. Huge suprise.

Did you not read what you posted? Here, I'll highlight it for you.

4G2833E.png

You posted it in black and white and still don't understand it. They can call it a block for not being in legal guarding position regardless of position in or out of the restricted area. OR they can call it a block for being in the restricted area.

"Thursday’s Cavaliers-Warriors NBA Finals Game 1 earned a 12.3 overnight rating on ABC, down a tick from last year (12.4), down 6% from 2016 (13.1), and the lowest for the NBA Finals opener since Heat-Spurs in 2014 — the last time the event did not feature the Cavs-Warriors matchup.

Golden State’s overtime win, which Cleveland could have won in regulation if not for an all-time blunder by J.R. Smith, peaked at a 14.9. The two previous finals openers, which Golden State won by double-digits, peaked at a 13.9 and 14.8.

Compared to the first Cavaliers-Warriors finals game in 2015, which also went to overtime, the full game declined 5% (from 12.9) while the peak quarter-hour declined 4% (from 15.6).

Despite the decline, the 12.3 overnight is still the fourth-highest for Game 1 of the finals since 2002 on NBC (Nets-Lakers: 13.0). The top four are all Cavaliers-Warriors games.

Given the slight decline in the overnights, Game 1 could still end up with an increase in the final nationals.

Cleveland led all markets with a 36.1 rating, up 8% from last year (33.4) and up a tick from 2016 (36.0). The Bay Area turned in a 31.1, up 1% from last year (30.9) but down 5% from 2016 (32.8). Compared to the teams’ last OT Game 1 in 2015, Cleveland declined 13% (from 41.4) and the Bay Area increased 25% (from 28.8)."

Just now, Huckleberry said:

4G2833E.png

You posted it in black and white and still don't understand it. They can call it a block for not being in legal guarding position regardless of position in or out of the restricted area. OR they can call it a block for being in the restricted area.

I can't see imgur pics on the web.

6 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

4G2833E.png

Did you read the beginning? What initiates the review is the restricted area. Since the charge qas called 4 feet outside of the restricted area, they shouldn't have been able to review the call at all.

30 minutes ago, Machinator said:

"Thursday’s Cavaliers-Warriors NBA Finals Game 1 earned a 12.3 overnight rating on ABC, down a tick from last year (12.4), down 6% from 2016 (13.1), and the lowest for the NBA Finals opener since Heat-Spurs in 2014 — the last time the event did not feature the Cavs-Warriors matchup.

Golden State’s overtime win, which Cleveland could have won in regulation if not for an all-time blunder by J.R. Smith, peaked at a 14.9. The two previous finals openers, which Golden State won by double-digits, peaked at a 13.9 and 14.8.

Compared to the first Cavaliers-Warriors finals game in 2015, which also went to overtime, the full game declined 5% (from 12.9) while the peak quarter-hour declined 4% (from 15.6).

Despite the decline, the 12.3 overnight is still the fourth-highest for Game 1 of the finals since 2002 on NBC (Nets-Lakers: 13.0). The top four are all Cavaliers-Warriors games.

Given the slight decline in the overnights, Game 1 could still end up with an increase in the final nationals.

Cleveland led all markets with a 36.1 rating, up 8% from last year (33.4) and up a tick from 2016 (36.0). The Bay Area turned in a 31.1, up 1% from last year (30.9) but down 5% from 2016 (32.8). Compared to the teams’ last OT Game 1 in 2015, Cleveland declined 13% (from 41.4) and the Bay Area increased 25% (from 28.8)."

https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports/warriors-not-sell-game-1-nba-finals-014254690.html

The Warriors did not sell out Game 1 of the NBA Finals

Must be tough between 5 dollar gas and horrible traffic to want to blow 2k on shitty tickets.

2 hours ago, Orca of Peace said:

Jay said the NBA and college rules are different. There's no NBA requirement regarding movement. in the actual rule which he and the analyst read. 

Jay Williams made a big deal that he was the only analyst to pick Cleveland in the series..... He lost his perceived objectivity when he made himself a clown by trumpeting how he was going against the grain on this one.  Wants to be smarter than everyone.

JFC, stop arguing that 50/50 blocking call. The real issue if you think this is rigged...the refs realize it’s going to be a close series unless they intervene, so they gift GS game 2 with all that ejection/fighting BS.  GTFO 

For the series warriors -1.5 was -450.  And there were multiple million dollar bets on that.  Means GS has to win 4-2 at worst.  The older I get and the closer I get to the bookmakers in Vegas, the more I believe conspiracies.  

Just now, Sidney Sherman said:

https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports/warriors-not-sell-game-1-nba-finals-014254690.html

The Warriors did not sell out Game 1 of the NBA Finals

Must be tough between 5 dollar gas and horrible traffic to want to blow 2k on shitty tickets.

last year at Oracle? Their new home in SF  is more accessible to wealthier folks (although in a bit of a rough hood)

JFC, stop arguing that 50/50 blocking call. The real issue if you think this is rigged...the refs realize it’s going to be a close series unless they intervene, so they gift GS game 2 with all that ejection/fighting BS.  GTFO 
For the series warriors -1.5 was -450.  And there were multiple million dollar bets on that.  Means GS has to win 4-2 at worst.  The older I get and the closer I get to the bookmakers in Vegas, the more I believe conspiracies.  
That's why you bet on the ncaa tournament and bowl pick ems

1 minute ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:
3 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Read more  

That's why you bet on the ncaa tournament and bowl pick ems

Im a retard so I have GS -450 -1.5 games.  Also -900.  9000 to win 1k on GS.  And I was pissed GS won last night.  

#degenerate

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

This. Vegas and the lines control the outcomes of the games. They were so sloppy about it they got caught doing it a few years ago lol.

But in my mind it wasn't the call, it was going to the monitors to reverse it without going by the leagues own rules. You have to have a question about the restricted zone to go to the monitors. That wasn't the case, they just needed ti overturn it. At least change the rules to be more vague if you are going to screw up the officiating and have to overturn it for the correct outcome.

Shouldn't a lane violation give a redo in a free throw too? Oops, missed that one as well. Damn GS gets lucky.

1527866859346_sp.jpg

1 minute ago, Sidney Sherman said:

This. Vegas and the lines control the outcomes of the games. They were so sloppy about it they got caught doing it a few years ago lol.

But in my mind it wasn't the call, it was going to the monitors to reverse it without going by the leagues own rules. You have to have a question about the restricted zone to go to the monitors. That wasn't the case, they just needed ti overturn it. At least change the rules to be more vague if you are going to screw up the officiating and have to overturn it for the correct outcome.

Shouldn't a lane violation give a redo in a free throw too? Oops, missed that one as well. Damn GS gets lucky.

1527866859346_sp.jpg

You know how many lame violations get missed throughout the course of a game?

4 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

You know how many lame violations get missed throughout the course of a game?

I thought the last two minutes rules were enforced, like reviewing a charge call? Or is it that no rules are enforced the last two minutes? Or does it just depend which team would benifit from the calls?

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Wrong as it gets. The initial reaction by the ref was his arms out to the sides like he wad about to call the block, but then he realized it was the King so....

The replay clearly shows James sliding over at the last second and initiating the contact, which is the epitome of what a blocking foul is. 

And Ty Lue is wrong, there have been several charge/block calls that have been reviewed and reversed in the last couple of years.

Here is one that in my opinion, is way closer to being a charge, yet it is reviewed and changed to a block.

7 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

Wrong as it gets. The initial reaction by the ref was his arms out to the sides like he wad about to call the block, but then he realized it was the King so....

The replay clearly shows James sliding over at the last second and initiating the contact, which is the epitome of what a blocking foul is. 

And Ty Lue is wrong, there have been several charge/block calls that have been reviewed and reversed in the last couple of years.

Here is one that in my opinion, is way closer to being a charge, yet it is reviewed and changed to a block.

The problem is that this play shouldn't have been reviewed either.

THEY CAN ONLY REVIEW THE PLAY IF THEY THINK THE DEFENDER WAS POTENTIALLY IN THE RESTRICTED AREA

Once they are in a review determining the restricted area, they can then look and double check legal guarding position. But they can't just review it only on the basis of legal guarding position.

• Like 1

Feels a lot like G1 of the TOR/CLE series. Just absolute heartbreak for a team that will probably force a short series. If JR Smith doesn't have a stroke, or Hill makes the second FT and they get the stop, this series is most likely going 6-7 games. Now, after Cleveland gives their best shot and still comes up short, it's REALLY hard for a team to get up and give that kind of effort again if history has taught us anything.

Quick Points: -Not much else you can say about LBJ at this point. He's legitimately making the GOAT argument an actual debate, and for everyone who thought the torch was being passed to Durant last year, if anything the gap has widened between LBJ and anyone else in the league.

-Cleveland's advantage on the boards was huge. Nance played a really good game for the minutes he had, Love was good on the boards as well.

-KD probably won't shoot as poorly in the rest of the series. If he's ISOing and hitting the tough shots, tip your cap and move on to the next play.

-A Charge was probably the correct call. However, when someone is 3-4 feet outside the restricted area, it's ridiculous that the Refs are able to review that aspect of the call.

-Officiating remains as poor and inconsistent these playoffs as any year I can remember.

Hopeful for a close G2, but realistically I see GS winning by a comfortable margin despite LBJ going for something close to a 35pt triple double.

• Like 1