Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

56 minutes ago, statsman said:

Sure. Let’s look at Baylor. Phil Steele is a handy guide, showing schedules back to 2017. In thatseven year period, Baylor has played a home and home with one P5 team- Duke. 

TCU, in that period, did play one P5 team. Good news- it was Ohio State. Bad news- it was a one off, at Jerryworld, to provide a recruiting showcase for the Buckeyes. 😂

KSU played Stanford last year in a similar Arlington one off. And they played a series against one P5 team- Vanderbilt. 

Kansas, of course, played Rutgers and Duke. 

The Big 12 has a real problem with free riders looking for someone else to raise the league profile, so they can take advantage with a good record in conference play (after scheduling three wins in non conference). 

Kansas State's game against Stanford was the return game of a home and home after playing at Stanford in 2016.  For TV purposes that was a KSU/Big 12 home game last year, not a neutral site game, they just decided to move it to Jerryworld.  They're playing Missouri this year and next and you missed a home and home they had with Mississippi State in 2018/19.  Those are pretty comparable P5 opponents for KSU and the best matchups you can expect a middle of the road program to schedule.  The Notre Dames and Floridas of the world are not too eager to schedule home and homes with the Kansas States and Baylors of the world.

It's reasonable to expect every team in your conference to pull their weight by scheduling 1 P5 noncon game per year.  It's not reasonable to expect your second and third tier teams to schedule home and homes with other P5's top tier teams.   It wasn't a roll of the dice that caused USC to schedule a home and home with Texas instead of TCU in 2017/18.  For the most part, top tier teams want to schedule other top tier teams.

24 minutes ago, Trojan Man said:

The Notre Dames and Floridas of the world are not too eager to schedule home and homes with the Kansas States and Baylors of the world.

Except if you look at Florida's future schedules, they have home and homes scheduled with Utah, NC State, Cal, Arizona State, and Colorado (and a 2-1 with UCF) in the next few years.  Maybe Kansas State is not at the level of those schools, but they probably should be.

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

Bama is a program that seems open to everyone, which is definitely to their credit. UT is probably similar. On the contrary is Florida which I think I read hasn't (or hadn't) played a true non-conference road game outside the state of Florida although it does look like they'll play @Utah next year. Either way, my preference would be to stop scheduling FCS opponents, but it's not like it's something that only we do regularly.

Florida plays Florida State every year OOC. In the past they have also played Florida directional schools or Miami in OOC games. The current AD is expanding the schedule, and Florida's future OOC schedule includes:

2023 - Utah, FSU

2024 - Miami, UCF, FSU

2025 - USF, Miami, FSU

2026 - NC State, Cal, FSU

2027 - Cal, FSU

2028 - Colorado, ASU, FSU

2029 - Colorado, FSU

2030 - Texas, UCF, FSU

2031 - Texas, ASU, Notre Dame, FSU

2032 - Notre Dame, NC State, FSU

Edited by Zinhead

11 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

Except if you look at Florida's future schedules, they have home and homes scheduled with Utah, NC State, Cal, Arizona State, and Colorado (and a 2-1 with UCF) in the next few years.  Maybe Kansas State is not at the level of those schools, but they probably should be.

Right, I won't say it never happens.  USC has a home and home scheduled with Ole Miss in 2025/26.  But there are more buyers than sellers just by virtue of there being more second/third tier schools than top tier schools willing to play home and homes with the second/third tier schools.  If you want to get deeper into it not all the second and third tier schools should have the same expectations.  Cal and UCF will have a much easier time getting home and homes with top tier opponents than Kansas State because they're in two of the most lucrative recruiting states in the country, unlike KSU.

tldr complaining about Baylor and Kansas State and TCU not filling their noncon with Georgia and Clemson and Ohio State every year is just ignorance of the business side of college football

20 minutes ago, Trojan Man said:

tldr complaining about Baylor and Kansas State and TCU not filling their noncon with Georgia and Clemson and Ohio State every year is just ignorance of the business side of college football

Financially, they don't need to fill them with the Georgia's of the world.   Just P5s will do.   TCU/Colorado is worth far more than Tarleton, Nicholls, or Abeline.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, statsman said:

Sure. Let’s look at Baylor. Phil Steele is a handy guide, showing schedules back to 2017. In thatseven year period, Baylor has played a home and home with one P5 team- Duke. 

TCU, in that period, did play one P5 team. Good news- it was Ohio State. Bad news- it was a one off, at Jerryworld, to provide a recruiting showcase for the Buckeyes. 😂

KSU played Stanford last year in a similar Arlington one off. And they played a series against one P5 team- Vanderbilt. 

The Big 12 has a real problem with free riders looking for someone else to raise the league profile, so they can take advantage with a good record in conference play (after scheduling three wins in non conference). 

TCU:  

2017 - @ Arkansas (back half of a home and home)
2018 - Ohio St
2019 - @Purdue (return home game scheduled for 2030)
2020 - (covid year)
2021 - Cal (can't find the return game so maybe it's a one-off)
2022 - @Colorado (return game is next year)

Baylor:

2017:  @Duke
2018:  Duke
2021:  BYU
2022:  @BYU

*Note:  Free riders from Waco played in NY6 games twice in this span of time, and won the league last year.  They also won a men's basketball national title.

Kansas State:

2017: @Vandy
2018: Mississippi St
2019: @Mississippi St
2021: Stanford (return game from 2016 - moved to NFL stadium for $$)
2022: Missouri

On 9/6/2022 at 2:04 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

Outside of Ohio State, the Big 10 is no better than the Big 12 or ACC.  It just has bigger fanbases and media markets.

Yeah.  Competitively this is true.  I think you can argue that Michigan, Penn State, and SC all have the potential to be a clear cut above everyone in the new Big 12... but none of them have been at that level in a long while. Michigan might be trending there but hasn't proven it yet.  Ohio State is the only Big Ten squad that has.  The difference between the two conferences, other than Ohio State's on-the-field play, is that the Big 10's second tier has much larger fanbases and TV appeal.  

1 hour ago, deter said:

If you consider BYU P5, Baylor has played a P5 in 2017, 2018, 2021, and 2022.  No OOC in covid 2020.  

Utah-2023

Utah-2024

Auburn-2025

Auburn-2026

Oregon-2027

Oregon-2028

Baylor played only one, I repeat ONE single fucking home and home series with a Power 5 opponent between 2010 and 2022 and that was fucking Duke in 2017/2018.

Yes, starting 2023 they are finally seeming to give a shit but anyone sticking up for 13 years of pussy ass scheduling should be call out a ridiculed for being a rape loving bitch boy.

No one is saying they should have played Alabama, Notre Dame, Michigan, or USC…how about simply scheduling schools like Northwestern, Oregon St, Mississippi St, or Wake Forest.  This isn’t complicated.  Baylor was content to schedule nobody and then complain when they didn’t get respect.  They are a taker, pure and simple.  They enjoyed a free ride and then bitched when it ended.  Fuck them and that entire rape enabling fake modern farm house of a “city” they call Waco.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Fuck You 2
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

And yet, still could just barely get a taste of the scraps from a desperate, reactionary b12. 

and look at the Big 12 now, it's one of the more stable conferences and in position to possibly expand with more P5 teams once the B1G make their next move in realignment.  The Big 12 is going to be a fun, entertaining conference to watch and I think over the years they will draw increased ratings.  

3 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

But is not in a p5 conference. 

Neither is Notre Dame... (despite the scheduling arrangement with the ACC).  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, LTbear said:

It's interesting that he lists basketball with, and in front of, football.  From a branding standpoint, basketball is where the Big 12 is going to have the most conference shine.  So... the Big 12 will probably find good "fits" by making sure their adds really value hoops.  With that in mind, it reads very much like he's talking about Arizona.  I think Boise and SDSU kind of fit the criteria fairly well as G5 adds. 

Utah should be a fit but I don't know that their fans / admins want to be in the Big 12.  Same with ASU and Colorado.  Some of those three might end up in the Big 12, as a last resort, but if you're on the Big 12 side of it, you probably prefer the partner who really wants to join you.  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, camel at sea said:

It's interesting that he lists basketball with, and in front of, football.  From a branding standpoint, basketball is where the Big 12 is going to have the most conference shine.  So... the Big 12 will probably find good "fits" by making sure their adds really value hoops.  With that in mind, it reads very much like he's talking about Arizona.  I think Boise and SDSU kind of fit the criteria fairly well as G5 adds. 

Utah should be a fit but I don't know that their fans / admins want to be in the Big 12.  Same with ASU and Colorado.  Some of those three might end up in the Big 12, as a last resort, but if you're on the Big 12 side of it, you probably prefer the partner who really wants to join you.  

Ya, reading it my mind immediately went to Arizona. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, camel at sea said:

If UO and UW go BIG, I still think we should find a way to keep WSU and ORST in the mix. Might appease some of them to have more west coast games. They've already lost SoCal (even if SDSU gets in its still not LA) and that's probably half the reason they liked the PAC better than the XII.

Edited by 'stache

On 9/7/2022 at 8:51 AM, oSuJeff97 said:

That seems pretty odd, given that most "big" non-conference matchups are scheduled as a home-and-home series... e.g. the games that were pointed out... Baylor/BYU, OSU/Az State, ISU/Iowa, etc. 

If the argument is that teams need "schedule better for more desirable TV games" then not counting away games that are part and partial to said tougher scheduling seems a bit disingenuous.

I know that, from OSU's standpoint, after Arizona State, we have home-and-home series upcoming with Arkansas (x2), Oregon, Alabama, Nebraska and Colorado.  Seems like we should get "credit" for scheduling those games, including the ones on the road.

Yep.  Baylor has Utah ('23/24), Auburn ('25/26), and Oregon ('27/28) coming off having BYU '21/22,  and having La Tech cancel earlier this year and having to scramble and schedule Albany week 1.  

18 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

Baylor played only one, I repeat ONE single fucking home and home series with a Power 5 opponent between 2010 and 2022 and that was fucking Duke in 2017/2018.

Yes, starting 2023 they are finally seeming to give a shit but anyone sticking up for 13 years of pussy ass scheduling should be call out a ridiculed for being a rape loving bitch boy.

No one is saying they should have played Alabama, Notre Dame, Michigan, or USC…how about simply scheduling schools like Northwestern, Oregon St, Mississippi St, or Wake Forest.  This isn’t complicated.  Baylor was content to schedule nobody and then complain when they didn’t get respect.  They are a taker, pure and simple.  They enjoyed a free ride and then bitched when it ended.  Fuck them and that entire rape enabling fake modern farm house of a “city” they call Waco.

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter. Baylor and its rape-enabling, Briles-loving fan base should be relegated to the ash heap of history. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, statsman said:

Baylor also had Ole Miss on the schedule for '20 but the conferences nixed that when they at first decided to do a conference only schedule.  

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, 'stache said:

If UO and UW go BIG, I still think we should find a way to keep WSU and ORST in the mix. Might appease some of them to have more west coast games. They've already lost SoCal (even if SDSU gets in its still not LA) and that's probably half the reason they liked the PAC better than the XII.

Washington St. isn't west coast.  Its basically in Idaho.  Idaho shared their stadium for a season or two.  I think U of Idaho and Washington St. are only something like 8 miles apart.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, bullet said:

Washington St. isn't west coast.  Its basically in Idaho.  Idaho shared their stadium for a season or two.  I think U of Idaho and Washington St. are only something like 8 miles apart.

i thought "8 miles, NO WAY they are that close"

i was right, they are even closer:

image.png.fa791099672fcf17ef9e4c56c064326a.png

i had no clue they were THAT close. wow.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, LTbear said:

Ya, reading it my mind immediately went to Arizona. 

I think if they and/or the Big 12 find a partner to come with them, they'll be the first shoe to drop.  They're the most in danger of being left out altogether if they are complacent AND their fans would embrace the move more enthusiastically than any other potential addition from the PAC due to the massive basketball upgrade.  

If Yormark can't find a PAC partner for Arizona, he should go get SDSU to come with them.  Together, those two give the Big 12 two more late window schools for football, two more good basketball and football fits, a flag in a new Big TV market, a flag in a good recruiting footprint, and it would simultaneously force the PAC to add one while taking their preferred G5 addition off the board.  

14 minutes ago, camel at sea said:

I think if they and/or the Big 12 find a partner to come with them, they'll be the first shoe to drop.  They're the most in danger of being left out altogether if they are complacent AND their fans would embrace the move more enthusiastically than any other potential addition from the PAC due to the massive basketball upgrade.  

If Yormark can't find a PAC partner for Arizona, he should go get SDSU to come with them.  Together, those two give the Big 12 two more late window schools for football, two more good basketball and football fits, a flag in a new Big TV market, a flag in a good recruiting footprint, and it would simultaneously force the PAC to add one while taking their preferred G5 addition off the board.  

Yeah, get San Diego State in with Baylor. Rapetastic conference, right there.

31 minutes ago, camel at sea said:

I'd still contend Stanford is the Pac12 property the Big Ten has at #1 and it likely hinges on ND.    With the position they are in the Big Ten doesn't have to move quickly.   

The only property on the board anymore that brings SEC/BigTen value is Notre Dame.   Literally the only one.   And, they're big enough to bring a friend, you're welcome Stanford.

The SEC has no one to add that matters any more, outside maybe a couple ACC teams, which aren't game changers and are kind of in your market, won't happen for a decade.   And when it does happen, the Big Ten doesn't hesitate to take UVA/UNC.   Both would be more highly valued than either UW or Oregon.  

Per previous conversation on the playoff being worth more going forward than the regular season, this may change if killing the Pac 12 changes the auto in from 6 to 5.   That opens up another at large.   In that scenario, Oregon could pay for themselves with playoff wins.

The unknown, per @camel at sea is how long everyone not named Washington and Oregon can hold out with instability.   For Washington State/Oregon State, forever.  They're like Iowa State and Kansas, bad geography and history says a major university is going to be stuck without options.   But, like we saw in 2010, realignment didn't start with Nebraska, it started with schools unwilling to commit to the Big 12 when Bebee asked.  Colorado took the first offer that came along to get ahead of wave.   Arizona may be the Colorado of this round.   If they weren't feeling secure in the P12 and joined the Big 12, I think you'd see Colorado move immediately as their lifting the skirt to the Big Ten is working as well as it worked for Mizzou.   

If that happens panic sets in and the Pac 12 levee could break fast. 

Jason Scheer on twitter (AZ blogger).  Pac 10 apologists again getting defensive.

"At this point I’m assuming it’s Utah. Arizona and ASU aren’t talking to John and I feel very confident in saying that.
Quote Tweet

f5Iae6p4_mini.jpg

John Canzano

@johncanzanobft
· 1h
Big 12's latest expansion jab falls flat in Pac-12 footprint. Said one of the Pac-12's current four corners ADs: “I have no idea what he’s talking about. He just continues to throw stuff out to disrupt. Seems like some level of desperation.” Column: https://bit.ly/3excWNO"

3 minutes ago, bullet said:
Jason Scheer on twitter (AZ blogger).  Pac 10 apologists again getting defensive.

"At this point I’m assuming it’s Utah. Arizona and ASU aren’t talking to John and I feel very confident in saying that.
Quote Tweet

f5Iae6p4_mini.jpg

John Canzano

@johncanzanobft
· 1h
Big 12's latest expansion jab falls flat in Pac-12 footprint. Said one of the Pac-12's current four corners ADs: “I have no idea what he’s talking about. He just continues to throw stuff out to disrupt. Seems like some level of desperation.” Column: https://bit.ly/3excWNO"

Like how he changed it to 10

2 hours ago, camel at sea said:

I'm not sure SDSU is worth it, but if the numbers support, go ahead. I do think Arizona is in danger of being "left out" (not as much as WSU or OSU or possibly even Cal, but they may feel more nervous than ASU, Utah, or CU). Jason Scheer has for week now insisted Arizona was very interested. 

1 hour ago, LTbear said:

I'm not sure SDSU is worth it, but if the numbers support, go ahead. I do think Arizona is in danger of being "left out" (not as much as WSU or OSU or possibly even Cal, but they may feel more nervous than ASU, Utah, or CU). Jason Scheer has for week now insisted Arizona was very interested. 

When the zonas joined the Pac 12 in the 70s, it was to tether themselves to SoCal.   Same for Colorado in 2010.

What is in the Pac for them anymore?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Hurtlocker said:

Like how he changed it to 10

That was mine, not Scheer's.  For over 3 decades it was the Pac 10.

28 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

When the zonas joined the Pac 12 in the 70s, it was to tether themselves to SoCal.   Same for Colorado in 2010.

What is in the Pac for them anymore?

True.

Bay Area is still there, but it was really about LA.

The Big 12 should have added San Diego State already. There are half million more people in San Diego than Austin. And they just built a new 50k stadium. No pro teams other than the Padres. They’re a fit, and the PAC’s first man up. 

Fresno is a turd but a shinier turd than Boise State. UNLV is also dog shit, but maybe they work out a deal to play in the Raiders’ Darth Vader helmet. 

8 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The Big 12 should have added San Diego State already. There are half million more people in San Diego than Austin. And they just built a new 50k stadium. No pro teams other than the Padres. They’re a fit, and the PAC’s first man up. 

Fresno is a turd but a shinier turd than Boise State. UNLV is also dog shit, but maybe they work out a deal to play in the Raiders’ Darth Vader helmet. 

They already do.  They pay the Raiders $150,000 per game to play there.  Even have their own turnover gimmick:

Edited by Francisco 2.0

9 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

They built a 35k seat stadium, not a 50k seat stadium.   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 9/7/2022 at 4:43 PM, TKthunder2 said:

Listen I'm not trying to pick a fight here but I need you to understand that Baylor, overall, sucks.

• Hook 'Em 3

They do now but we bring the Texas media market to the table in a much more....widespread manner.  We also bring nationwide eyeballs to the TV deal.  Where the SEC sits right now is like someone using a 1994 Ranger for work and then getting a brand new F-250.  If the insurance costs the same for both there's no point in keeping the Ranger just for nostalgic purposes. 

Do you have even the slightest idea how aggy you sound?
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, SimonBolivar said:

Yall find a QB that won't give us the ball 7 times this year?

You better hope so, considering you had a +8 turnover margin over two games and the outcomes were a 10-point loss and a win by 1 foot.

Also - please ask your players to try not to rape anyone on their way across the parking lot.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, oSuJeff97 said:

You better hope so, considering you had a +8 turnover margin over two games and the outcomes were a 10-point loss and a win by 1 foot.

Also - please ask your players to try not to rape anyone on their way across the parking lot.

Or steal beer. They do that too in parking lots.

• Hook 'Em 1