Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

11 hours ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

Thought it was Cortez who burned his ships when he got to the new world, not the Aztecs…holy hell what a mess SDSU got themselves into.

This is like Cortez landing at the Fyre Festival and then burning his ships

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

38 minutes ago, gatormarc said:

Thankfully for him, Elon has made it impossible for you to check his previous tweets for accuracy.

I don't think he has.  He is very pro-Pac 12, but on the other hand,  he isn't a clown like Canzano.

53 minutes ago, Josef Pwag said:

"We know the GOR with the ACC is very complex"

I've never seen the actual ACC GOR, but I thought I had read it was short & simple...anything but complex. 

Yeah, the original GOR is pretty simple.

https://wwwcache.wralsportsfan.com/asset/colleges/ncsu/2022/07/05/20361238/ACC-Grant-of-Rights-1-DMID1-5vgd1w2if.pdf

There's allegedly an addendum when it was extended that isn't publicly available somehow.

Just now, Hagbard Celine said:

tweet gone or farked

Elon'd

1 hour ago, Josef Pwag said:

"We know the GOR with the ACC is very complex"

I've never seen the actual ACC GOR, but I thought I had read it was short & simple...anything but complex. 

It is, i think he means breaking it.   Its basically the B12's GoR, on steroids.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, John80 said:

I would ignore any source that thinks the heart of SEC country is in North Carolina and South Florida.

Don't think that is the main idea of the tweet, but go ahead and go with that narrative if you want.

This guy definitely isn't the end all be all of sports media, but he is well connected and has lots of experience in the industry. That means this is just one piece of information from one source in a large ocean of discussion.

4 hours ago, Saint Austin said:

UNC should be the SEC’s top priority as well. Clemson and FSU will be there whenever the SEC wants them. 

The thought of a 20 plus team conference just feels wrong.  I’m for these conferences keeping their shit together before it’s two or three conferences with 30 teams.  SEC needs no more teams, they can’t figure out scheduling with 16 teams….   

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Hook1997 said:

The thought of a 20 plus team conference just feels wrong.  I’m for these conferences keeping their shit together before it’s two or three conferences with 30 teams.  SEC needs no more teams, they can’t figure out scheduling with 16 teams….   

Agree GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

13 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

I don't know that there are any schools out there that make the SEC more money per existing school.

8 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Correct. Every Miami grad I’ve met are originally from Philly or Jersey. 

I attended the LSU vs Miami game at Jerry World in 2018 and it seemed like most of the Hurricane fans I met were from NJ or somewhere in that area.  I also attended the Miami @ FSU game in 2019 and the Miami fans were unbearably obnoxious and lacked alot of class, giving the vibe that they were mostly transplants.  

31 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I don't know that there are any schools out there that make the SEC more money per existing school.

FSU? Clemson?

• Fuck You 1

31 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

UNC would.

Notre Dame would.

I agree 100% on Notre Dame, but I don't see them going that way if they join a conference.  UNC might.

4 minutes ago, FartingDreamer said:

I attended the LSU vs Miami game at Jerry World in 2018 and it seemed like most of the Hurricane fans I met were from NJ or somewhere in that area.  I also attended the Miami @ FSU game in 2019 and the Miami fans were unbearably obnoxious and lacked alot of class, giving the vibe that they were mostly transplants.  

FSU? Clemson?

If FSU and Clemson would make the SEC money, they'd have moved on them in previous realignments, IMO.  It's like Oregon and Washington to the Big 10.  If they had the requisite value, they'd be there.

I think both make a ton of cultural, geographic, and competitive sense for the SEC.  But none of that matters if they aren't upping the cut for everyone.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, LTtxfan said:

I don't get the love for UNC... once Mack retires they are just meh

Notre Dame seems destined for Big 10

UNC is a basketball blue blood with a competent football program, that's the #1 school in a relatively large and growing state.

I can see where they might make the SEC money, but it's not a slam dunk.  They're definitely worth more than Clemson.

• Hook 'Em 1

On today's episode of the Marchand and Ourand podcast, with guest Paul Finebaum, John Ourand stated that he believes the Pac 12 presidents will not know anything solid about their new media deal for another month, and that an announcement of the deal will probably not be made until around Labor Day. He said this was all "informed speculation."

35 minutes ago, Jabberwocky said:

On today's episode of the Marchand and Ourand podcast, with guest Paul Finebaum, John Ourand stated that he believes the Pac 12 presidents will not know anything solid about their new media deal for another month, and that an announcement of the deal will probably not be made until around Labor Day. He said this was all "informed speculation."

George Kliavkoff really is playing the Costanza "she can't break up with me if she can't find me" card (see meme earlier in this thread).  What I can't believe is how patient the Pac10 schools are being about this.  He's basically stringing them along to a point where they wouldn't be able to leave due to contractural timing, in an odd way just like what he did to SDSU but in reverse.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

George Kliavkoff really is playing the Costanza "she can't break up with me if she can't find me" card (see meme earlier in this thread).  What I can't believe is how patient the Pac10 schools are being about this.  He's basically stringing them along to a point where they wouldn't be able to leave due to contractural timing, in an odd way just like what he did to SDSU but in reverse.

It's because they don't care if they suck at sports, make no money, and have poor exposure.  If they can clink wine glasses with other west coast academics and get to say they aren't affiliated with red state Plains trash, they're happy.

• Hook 'Em 5

5 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

UNC would.

Notre Dame would.

At this point, i'm not sure that's the case.   UNC is definitely not, even with premium carriage in NC for the SEC Network.   ND would, but mostly the same as the B1G, it brings in enough to pay for itself, and maybe a friend, which maybe gives UNC a shot as the plus one wedding invite.

17 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

I'm guessing its because he has a few no votes on his idea and, to keep it from getting shot down, he keeps going back to try and turn those before he gives it to the group.   The challenge is at some point there will be a singularity event where something has to happen.   Either the schools will get what they want on that date, they'll leave on that date, or they'll choose not to leave and be fucked to have to accept anything they're offered.   He wins in two thirds of those options, so its best to delay.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

It's because they don't care if they suck at sports, make no money, and have poor exposure.  If they can clink wine glasses with other west coast academics and get to say they aren't affiliated with red state Plains trash, they're happy.

There's a very large faction of Colorado fans who are ready to bolt

• Hook 'Em 2

Maybe the worst thing the UA and CU presidents could have said is that they won't consider leaving until after they see the deal.  Kilavkoff is taking them at their word on that.

If it is true that they won't be presented the specifics of the deal for another month and it won't be ready to be signed until Labor Day, and if it's also true that a school has to give notice to leave by the end of July, then that means they either have to make the decision to jump without seeing the deal, or roll the dice and stay without knowing what their TV/GOR future will hold.

I just can't see UA and CU being content with that situation.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I'm not talking about the fans.

Colorado's AD seems pretty open to the idea as well, but I think they are all waiting for the "final" offer from Kliavkoff. Understandable - you don't make a change like that without knowing exactly what the options are - but Kliavkoff is delaying like mofo. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

If FSU and Clemson would make the SEC money, they'd have moved on them in previous realignments, IMO. 

FSU spent 30 years talking about how they made the right decision to join the ACC.

They were very proactive about proving how they were not an SEC team.

2 hours ago, Hurtlocker said:

I'm guessing its because he has a few no votes on his idea and, to keep it from getting shot down, he keeps going back to try and turn those before he gives it to the group.   The challenge is at some point there will be a singularity event where something has to happen.   Either the schools will get what they want on that date, they'll leave on that date, or they'll choose not to leave and be fucked to have to accept anything they're offered.   He wins in two thirds of those options, so its best to delay.

it's now a foregone conclusion that they aren't going to get what they want but they aren't going to leave until they are told they aren't going to get what they want

the outcome is now negative, the only questions surround the valuation of the damage

the moment of singularity was midnight 30 June

so klitcoff has only one path - never present the package - let the current contract run out - watch it burn - and keep getting paid until they fire him

oh and i burn all the notes and wipe the drives of all mails and content to cover the total lack of any actual deal from any actual credible entity

the idea that apple are going to "buy" the pac network as part of this fiesta is comical

larry scott funneled $92 million of pac12 money in to the rent in downtown SF - anyone suspect he backdoored some of that to brunei or the caymans?

if i'm klitkoff i have a chartered jet on standby ready to flee in to exile to join scott on whatever island he's on, probably off the coast of africa somewhere very hard to get to

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Uncle Nate said:

Maybe the worst thing the UA and CU presidents could have said is that they won't consider leaving until after they see the deal.  Kilavkoff is taking them at their word on that.

If it is true that they won't be presented the specifics of the deal for another month and it won't be ready to be signed until Labor Day, and if it's also true that a school has to give notice to leave by the end of July, then that means they either have to make the decision to jump without seeing the deal, or roll the dice and stay without knowing what their TV/GOR future will hold.

I just can't see UA and CU being content with that situation.

agree with all of this, but you are leaving out the ultimate play for klitkoff: "2 weeks"

as long as the deal is always 2 weeks away, every day, they can't jump

only when the current deal expires and they aren't getting paid at all will they jump

the academicians running these schools are helpless frogs in the boiling pot

5 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

it's now a foregone conclusion that they aren't going to get what they want but they aren't going to leave until they are told they aren't going to get what they want

the outcome is now negative, the only questions surround the valuation of the damage

the moment of singularity was midnight 30 June

so klitcoff has only one path - never present the package - let the current contract run out - watch it burn - and keep getting paid until they fire him

oh and i burn all the notes and wipe the drives of all mails and content to cover the total lack of any actual deal from any actual credible entity

the idea that apple are going to "buy" the pac network as part of this fiesta is comical

larry scott funneled $92 million of pac12 money in to the rent in downtown SF - anyone suspect he backdoored some of that to brunei or the caymans?

if i'm klitkoff i have a chartered jet on standby ready to flee in to exile to join scott on whatever island he's on, probably off the coast of africa somewhere very hard to get to

I'm beginning to think their fiscal is August to July, so the that moment of one year notice has to occur before July 31st.   USC/UCLA announced to be accepted into the B1G to be on the B1G's new deal, which aligned with the B1G's fiscal July.   

So if a Pac team doesn't give a years notice before the year ends, they won't be leaving until July of 2025, one year into the new contract, so they're there because they chose to be or because they're fucked to be.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Hurtlocker said:

I'm beginning to think their fiscal is August to July, so the that moment of one year notice has to occur before July 31st.   USC/UCLA announced to be accepted into the B1G to be on the B1G's new deal, which aligned with the B1G's fiscal July.   

So if a Pac team doesn't give a years notice before the year ends, they won't be leaving until July of 2025, one year into the new contract, so they're there because they chose to be or because they're fucked to be.

This. Don’t be surprised to see notice of intent to depart for CU and at least one Arizona school to materialize on 7/31. I don’t know whether their boards (1) have authorized the respective presidents to offer such notice or whether (2) they need to do so. If no to 1 and yes to 2, expect ad hoc meetings by/on that final Friday or Monday.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

i'll go with that but would ask traveler or condom man to run it to ground for the hell of it

it does explain everything with the exception of the aztec fuck-up

other than being idiots, which is the probable explanation, you never worry about the deadline of your current employer - it's all about the time line of your future employer

even if the mountain west had a pumpkin date of midnight 30 June why would you give a fuck if your destination has another 45 days of runway?

@USC Traveler  @Trojan Man please run this to ground on pac fiscal year dates

11 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

This. Don’t be surprised to see notice of intent to depart for CU and at least one Arizona school to materialize on 7/31. I don’t know whether their boards (1) have authorized the respective presidents to offer such notice or whether (2) they need to do so. If no to 1 and yes to 2, expect ad hoc meetings by/on that final Friday or Monday.

there would have to be smoke around yormark for that to happen....  a shitload of schools would have to 1) agree and 2) somehow lock down their approval....

turn tables and shit

47 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

there would have to be smoke around yormark for that to happen....  a shitload of schools would have to 1) agree and 2) somehow lock down their approval....

turn tables and shit

What if they already had, thus nothing to smoke?

And before 7/1, the newbs wouldn’t have had a vote to cast.

Would be pretty ninja on a move like that. 

Big 12 Commissioner Will Eye Two Additions to Replace Oklahoma, Texas in 2024

The Big 12 has officially expanded to 14 teams with the additions of BYU, Cincinnati, Houston and UCF, but it won’t stay that way for long. After this year, they’ll return to 12 teams once Oklahoma and Texas depart for the SEC. Despite the recent shakeup, Big 12 commissioner Brett Yormark wants the conference to stay at 14 teams, hinting that it could once again expand. 

“I’d like to stay at 14 [teams] even with the departure of Texas and Oklahoma, candidly,” Yormark told Spencer Linton of BYU Sports Nation. “We’ll see if that’s a possibility or not. But I love 12.” 

Yormak brining it to the PACX

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

i'll go with that but would ask traveler or condom man to run it to ground for the hell of it

it does explain everything with the exception of the aztec fuck-up

other than being idiots, which is the probable explanation, you never worry about the deadline of your current employer - it's all about the time line of your future employer

even if the mountain west had a pumpkin date of midnight 30 June why would you give a fuck if your destination has another 45 days of runway?

@USC Traveler  @Trojan Man please run this to ground on pac fiscal year dates

Pac 12 Membership Handbook

6c9177be2965943006eef04707838eef.png

Seems to be an August fiscal.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, jTower said:

Big 12 Commissioner Will Eye Two Additions to Replace Oklahoma, Texas in 2024

The Big 12 has officially expanded to 14 teams with the additions of BYU, Cincinnati, Houston and UCF, but it won’t stay that way for long. After this year, they’ll return to 12 teams once Oklahoma and Texas depart for the SEC. Despite the recent shakeup, Big 12 commissioner Brett Yormark wants the conference to stay at 14 teams, hinting that it could once again expand. 

“I’d like to stay at 14 [teams] even with the departure of Texas and Oklahoma, candidly,” Yormark told Spencer Linton of BYU Sports Nation. “We’ll see if that’s a possibility or not. But I love 12.” 

Yormak brining it to the PACX

It's hard to see how the Big 12 takes 2 from the PAC, and stops at taking only 2 from the PAC.

Maybe the play is to try to skip over ASU/Utah and bring in UO/UW as #15/#16.