Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

1 hour ago, Josef Pwag said:

No chance in your opinion that the B1G was waiting for the Big 12 to trigger this so they didn't have any legal exposure...and now they will pounce? 

The legal exposure line never made sense to me.  USC and UCLA fulfilled their contractual obligations to the Pac 12 before leaving for the B1G.  They announced their intention to leave by the deadline established in the contract and they are Pac 12 members until the date specified in the contract.  After that they are free to leave and the Pac 12 can't do anything about it.  If other schools leaving a conference follow the same by the book process what grounds are there for their old conference to sue anyone?  What is there to litigate had the B1G pursued more Pac 12 teams before the Big 12 knocked over the Colorado domino?

No conference owns its members in perpetuity.  They own their rights for the duration of the contract, and that's it.  When contracts expire schools are free to look around and explore their options.  This is like saying the Yankees can't sign too many free agents at once from the Mariners and they have to wait for the Rangers to pick up a couple Mariners free agents or else the Mariners will sue them.  As long as all contracts are respected (or renegotiated to the agreement of all parties) there is nothing to settle in court.

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

That means numbers they heard must be beyond ass

I posted this before today's surge in the CU story line. But it's it how I picture the PACX schools looking at the deal Klownkov gave them.

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

7tuxiw.gif

23 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Left Behind B12 Members hearing Deion is coming...

64c7600b-450b-45c4-80f3-b27dffe93859_tex

They should view it as good.  The Big 12 needs to be more attractive to blue chip recruits and Sanders definitely helps with that.  From a competitive standpoint I don't think they'd sweat it.  They're used to playing Texas and Oklahoma yearly and those two run laps around the rest of the Big 12 in terms of roster talent.  And if Sanders does turn Colorado into a powerhouse he'll be in the SEC or at Florida State soon after.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Dark Horse said:

Big XII outlasting the Pac is pretty fucking hilarious. 

Especially since there were several points in time they could have killed the Big XII since 2010, but they preferred the smell of their own farts. CU has now survived the Andrea Dorria and the Titanic.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

15 minutes ago, Trojan Man said:

They should view it as good.  The Big 12 needs to be more attractive to blue chip recruits and Sanders definitely helps with that.  From a competitive standpoint I don't think they'd sweat it.  They're used to playing Texas and Oklahoma yearly and those two run laps around the rest of the Big 12 in terms of roster talent.  And if Sanders does turn Colorado into a powerhouse he'll be in the SEC or at Florida State soon after.

I just don’t seeing it being a big deal for the reason outlined in your last sentence 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Especially since there were several points in time they could have killed the Big XII since 2010, but they preferred the smell of their own farts. CU has now survived the Andrea Dorria and the Titanic.

IMG_0790.gif

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Even though we’re leaving, the demise of the PAC makes me legitimately sad.  It’s all I’ve ever known, and I have a fondness for it.  But it does go to show we jumped at the right time.

The geography of the new landscape is going to drive me crazy. A PAC-BIgXII merger, even before USC/UCLA left (it was gonna happen either way) would’ve put them in a nice position as the primary conference west of the Missippi.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Even though we’re leaving, the demise of the PAC makes me legitimately sad.  It’s all I’ve ever known, and I have a fondness for it.  But it does go to show we jumped at the right time.

Its like a wolf killing a deer and saying.. man.. it’s dangerous out here. 

If Oregon and Washington follow suit, as is being aggressively rumored this evening, and AZ makes the logical move and follows CU, the Big12 will be fairly salty, and arguably as good or better than the Big10, which is so top-heavy in football it's ridiculous.  BIg 12 already the better basketball conference.  Could be a more interesting landscape with three top conferences instead of two.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

Was it ever confirmed that Monday is the deadline for PAC teams to leave this round at minimum cost? I'm sure every PAC BOR will be meeting in the next few days to make a decision. Whatever numbers the PAC was negotiating just changed by a lot, in the bad way. CU may have stunk in most sports for the last 20 years, but I don't see SDSU or SMU filling that hole for them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Was it ever confirmed that Monday is the deadline for PAC teams to leave this round at minimum cost? I'm sure every PAC BOR will be meeting in the next few days to make a decision. Whatever numbers the PAC was negotiating just changed by a lot, in the bad way. CU may have stunk in most sports for the last 20 years, but I don't see SDSU or SMU filling that hole for them. 

Not really, but its the one year notice date.   If Colorado leaves tomorrow, Friday should be something.

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

it's probably worse than changing by a lot

klittklown's nondeal was probably something like half linear at half price ($15m/year) to now no takers at all once the next 3 bail out after ralph

tree and cal are going to be the anchors of the new mountain west

• Hook 'Em 1

From the BuffaloWire, seems the PR machine is starting:

Why returning to the Big 12 is right for Colorado

Entering its 13th season in the Pac-12, Colorado has decided that enough is enough and it will be reportedly making the move to return home to the Big 12.

Realignment rumors have been running rampant ever since Deion Sanders was named head coach of the Colorado Buffaloes football team, and I’ll take some credit for bringing up a move to the Big 12 last July. This is mainly because CU football is once again an appealing program for other conferences. Plus, the mismanagement of the Pac-12 Conference essentially forced the Buffs out.

The Buffaloes could no longer sit and wait for a Pac-12 media rights deal that has been promised for months, and CU will hopefully make things official with the Big 12 on Thursday. Here is why the move to the Big 12 makes sense for CU:

"There is no coincidence that stability brings success, and success brings stability" - Robert Green

It’s no secret that Colorado has struggled in football since joining the Pac-12. One could argue that a big part of that was due to the financial and leadership issues that the conference has had since 2011. We reported in June that Pac-12 schools were lagging behind their Power Five counterparts when it comes to finances. The Pac-12 was routinely criticized for their mismanagement of conference funds, which ultimately led to the ousting of former commissioner Larry Scott.

Colorado will now join a conference that has stable leadership in Brett Yormark, who recently added four other teams to his conference.

Having a media rights deals is a good thing, right?

In October of 2022, it was announced that the Big 12 had inked a new media rights deal worth over $2 billion that would allow the conference to stay on ESPN and the FOX Sports networks. CU should be in line for a full share, which would be more than $40 million in 2024, plus the Big 12 has a secured contract through the 2030-31 season.

Deion Sanders grows his recruiting footprint in Texas and Florida

Deion Sanders rules Florida and Texas as a football icon because of his days playing for the Florida State Seminoles and the Dallas Cowboys. Colorado’s head coach keeps an offseason home in the Lone Star State as well. Away games in the Big 12 will consist of Baylor, Houston, TCU, Texas Tech and Central Florida. Sanders now has the trump card of playing in recruits’ home states in the talent-rich areas of Texas and Florida to go along with his hall of fame resume.

The basketball schedule is a step up

Football will always be the chief reason for realignment, but the basketball foes that present themselves in the Big 12 should make for some outstanding matchups. Colorado will again get to face the powerhouse that is Kansas while also matching up with Baylor, Kansas State and Houston on the men’s side.

The Colorado women’s basketball team should be near the top of the conference with games against Kansas, Baylor and Kansas State being the chief matchups.

The Big 12 was always home

For as appealing as the initial move to the Pac-12 was in the early 2010s, the conference never felt right. Gone were the days of the midwest smashmouth football and in was the relaxed atmosphere of California. Now, Colorado will be going back to its roots and rejoining a conference that it should have never left. Colorado is going home.

14 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Glad it’s finally moving.

Colorado, Arizona, Oregon, Washington would be an absolute realignment coup for the Big 12.

At that point fuck Arizona State and Utah lulz.

Yeah, the fuck, that would be like Pete Davidson swooping in to pick up the next random hotty on the rebound

Ariana Grande and Pete Davidson Furniture Shop in NYC

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, 'stache said:

Because our on-field success and TV ratings (even excluding UT/OU games) are in the upper echelon of the post OU/UT Big XII? You also realize that the games are broadcast in more places than Stillwater, right? No movement has happened because the PAC programs don't know what they might make. You can't compare USC/UCLA moving to the BIG because it was known with absolute certainty that they'd make more money there than any PAC possibilities. The longer this drags out, it increases their frustration within the PAC 10 that they can't make any decisions until Klavikoff gets off his ass and actually produced a real offer. Until then, no decision maker in their right mind would make a move without complete information. I get it, "OKST and everyone else are worthless." The media companies disagree, but the faction of surly-ites who insist that nobody else matters are gonna surly, which is fine, it's your board, just a bizarre theme to get hung up on in an otherwise interesting conversation.

OKST, BU, TCU, and WVU had the top ratings of the remaining 8.   The first three *should* be included but it's the PAC so they'd likely do something dumb like invite Tulane, Rice, and UC Santa Barbara for academics.

1 hour ago, DickSolomon said:

Gotta laugh at how every addition the big 12 makes these days creates a new bottom feeder for the conference

No shit. Getting stoked on Colorado and Zona is, uh, something. Oregon would be nice for the brand though.

Edited by Hank_Hill

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Colorado, Arizona and Oregon/Washington (even on a contingency basis) is pretty damned salty.  I still think the ACC would have the better brands in Clemson, FSU, and Notre Dame, but the quality of football would be better in the Big 12. 

I've seen somewhere it might be AzSt instead of Arizona because of Phoenix market ???

But Arizona does have a better basketball history...

Edited by LTtxfan

13 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

I've seen somewhere it might be AzSt instead of Arizona because of Phoenix market ???

But Arizona does have a better basketball history...

That would surprise me, since Arizona's been noisy for months and the Pres didn't seem very loyal today when quoted.   Then again, Oregon and Washington would shock the hell out of me too so...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 'stache said:

BYU overtaking Utah is one of the more intriguing story lines in all of this to me.

Wonder how many Pac12 teams the B12 wants to add??  If going after TV markets maybe they get Buffs, at least 1 AZ school, and maybe Ducks + UW ??

Not sure how the politics in Arizona plays out -- is it a package deal where B12 has to take both Az/AzSt  ??

Hell an 18 team league might even make some sense if B12 can make TV money work right ??

Edited by LTtxfan

1 hour ago, Hurtlocker said:

That would surprise me, since Arizona's been noisy for months and the Pres didn't seem very loyal today when quoted.   Then again, Oregon and Washington would shock the hell out of me too so...

Passing on a top 10 metro area for the least important program in the conference?  Well, how long was the list of schools that the Big12 supposedly snubbed for WVU?

9 hours ago, Josef Pwag said:

No chance in your opinion that the B1G was waiting for the Big 12 to trigger this so they didn't have any legal exposure...and now they will pounce? 

That was always Yormark/B12/ESPN/Fox throwing out disinformation through Dodds and McMurphy to make the Four Corners schools nervous and keep the WAC10 unstable.

The only person in the BIG who wanted more teams in the West was Kevin Warren.  That's part of why he's gone.

UA is next.  From Jason Scheer in their realignment thread on the 247 board:

I'll just say it.

I would be surprised if Arizona does not join the Big 12. I have no idea on timeline though.

They've always been the most likely second team to leave, based on the change in tone from their Pres and AD a few moths back.

They went from "We're committed to the PAC" to "We have to do what's best for UA".  Same shift in tone we saw at CU.

//

Can't wait to see the ripple effects, as even the delusional idiots on the Utah 247 board are starting to realize their "insider" knows nothing and that they're in real danger of being left behind.  Panic is going to set in quickly, and schools that have been opposed to moving like ASU and Utah, may reverse course quickly and jump to the B12 to make sure they get a seat at the table.

If I'm B12, I take Utah and ASU, as that would pretty much force UO and UW to the B12.

PNW schools aren't getting a BIG invite until the ACC is carved up and the BIG sees where they stand.  BIG's preference is to expand East.

18 team B12 would set up some good regional divisions, especially once B12 picks up the best ACC programs that don't go BIG/SEC when the ACC collapses.

• Drool 1