Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

15 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Maybe better.  I’m just saying the blue bloods are almost fully consolidated.  ND is the last one out there, with Clemson and FSU being fringe.

3 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

Yeah I'd lump Oregon, Washington, FSU, and Clemson into that purgatory tier between the massive brands and the normal P5 brands.   Big enough to move the B12/ACC needle, but not enough to move the SEC/B1G needle

Y’all are severely underestimating the value of FSU.

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Maybe better.  I’m just saying the blue bloods are almost fully consolidated.  ND is the last one out there, with Clemson and FSU being fringe.

As far as I am concerned Clemson and above are Blue Bloods to me because of where they have stood at times or some of the very dominant runs they have had over my lifetime. Even when Clemson was bad they kept coming up as a program that could be football royalty. Unlike A&M where only they say it in their own bubble.

Just one more figure through the end of the 2019 season.

Edited by DanTheHorn
Added most wins since 1970 through the end of 2019 season.
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

Its pretty rich seeing Cincinnati Bearcat fan tap dancing on the Pac12's soon to be grave... as if the Big 12 wouldn't jump at a chance to kick them to the curb to open a slot for a Pac12 school knowing what everyone knows today. Lucky for Bearcat nation no conference has really figured out how to ditch the schools just riding the gravy train without bringing much to the table, so they still get to enjoy their ride til that happens.

Edited by Evil Bill Obrien
words
  • Fuck You 2

1 minute ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

Its pretty rich seeing Cincinnati Bearcat fan tap dancing on the Pac12's soon to be grave... as if the Big 12 wouldn't jump at a chance to kick them to the curb to open a slot for a Pac12 school knowing what everyone knows today. Lucky for Bearcat nation no conference has really figured out how to ditch the schools just riding the gravy train without bringing much to the table, so they still get to enjoy their ride til that happens.

The real irony is that the Pac could be the Pac 18 right now and Cinci, UCF, BYU, and Houston would be where they were.   But the Pac didn't strike.

Wasting two chances to kill the Big 12 in a single decade came back to bite them.

5 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

As far as I am concerned Clemson and above are Blue Bloods to me because of where they have stood at times or some of the very dominant runs they have had over my lifetime. Even when Clemson was bad they kept coming up as a program that could be football royalty. Unlike A&M where only they say it in their own bubble.

Cali, Mississippi,  and North Carolina are mildly surprising. 

13 minutes ago, Sabalo said:

Yeah, I am pretty skeptical of those numbers.  Just taking a quick look at UNC's and NC State's followings - UNC has more on Twitter and 100k more on Instragram.  While NC State has more on Facebook, given that neither team has 100k followers on Facebook, I'm not sure how they ended up with NC State ahead.

So….. now what? Who panics first? Are we going to see a stupid add for Pac12 expansion that fails to garner the votes to pass or a dumb attempt at ratifying an incomplete agreement tv deal/grant of rights that goes no where?

How can you in good conscience as a remaining 4 corner school or UW/OU can you ratify any add without some serious concrete numbers and a long term plan? I bet we see a slow play for a week or so by the schools while they try to decide how fucked they really are…

32 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:
48 minutes ago, Sabalo said:

Yeah, I am pretty skeptical of those numbers.  Just taking a quick look at UNC's and NC State's followings - UNC has more on Twitter and 100k more on Instragram.  While NC State has more on Facebook, given that neither team has 100k followers on Facebook, I'm not sure how they ended up with NC State ahead.

Yeah.

And Florida is in the top 5 in the nation for social engagement but somehow behind FSU?

https://athleticdirectoru.com/articles/college-athletics-social-media-rankings/

1 minute ago, Laxtonto said:

So….. now what? Who panics first? Are we going to see a stupid add for Pac12 expansion that fails to garner the votes to pass or a dumb attempt at ratifying an incomplete agreement tv deal/grant of rights that goes no where?

How can you in good conscience as a remaining 4 corner school or UW/OU can you ratify any add without some serious concrete numbers and a long term plan? I bet we see a slow play for a week or so by the schools while they try to decide how fucked they really are…

Yeah think we got about a week or so before the whole rest of the PAC schools (except Wazzu, Oregon State, and Cal who know they are fucked no matter what) start doing this:

Movie Comedy GIF

Then OSU, WSU, and Cal just gonna be in the corner: 

life suicide GIF by David

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

Arizona/Oregon?

1 hour ago, USC Traveler said:

President of NW was recently hired away from Eugene Community College, so he’s been a big part of the PAC stupidity himself.

Wait, whaaaaat? Northwestern hired its president from Whoregon?????  Really. Wow, I’ll have to re-assess my opinion of Northwestern. AAU or not, NU >>> oregon

2 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

RE Oregon not moving the needle for the Big 10. They were 12th in avg viewership per game last year above all current and future Big 10 teams outside of Michigan, tOSU, and Penn State. 

Right, but Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, and USC are the reason they get paid $75m a year.    Oregon may be a bigger brand than Iowa, but they're not commanding that kind of money.   That was the point of the comment.

They're not big enough to make the B1G money, but they are big enough to make the B12/Pac more money.   They exist in that gap between the two.

13 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

I think Arizona files its Big 12 paperwork in the next couple of weeks and then the Big 12 waits out Oregon and Washington.  If those two don't have a B1G invite, they're going to have to make the Big 12 move, too.  

ASU and Utah might have to spend a long time in a rebuilt PAC.  It doesn't make a lot of sense for the Big 12 to go to 18 if #15/#16 are UO/UW.  

The remaining 6 PAC schools probably end up adding SDSU, Boise, Colorado St, and SMU and sign a media rights deal with Apple streaming.      

1 minute ago, camel at sea said:

I think Arizona files its Big 12 paperwork in the next couple of weeks and then the Big 12 waits out Oregon and Washington.  If those two don't have a B1G invite, they're going to have to make the Big 12 move, too.  

ASU and Utah might have to spend a long time in a rebuilt PAC.  It doesn't make a lot of sense for the Big 12 to go to 18 if #15/#16 are UO/UW.  

The remaining 6 PAC schools probably end up adding SDSU, Boise, Colorado St, and SMU and sign a media rights deal with Apple streaming.      

musical_chairs_fail-12098.gif&ehk=Jo98RJ

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

I'm not a fan of the Pac 12 going away but if it's grabbing 1-3 of them versus Group of 5 then kill the Pac 12. 

Yeah, I think the Pac is done.  The timing of SC and UCLA leaving right before having to negotiate a media deal killed it.  Sounds like 1-3 more Pac teams on the way to B12 with the Buffs.

If I'm the Big 12, I want Utah, Oregon and Washington. Arizona and Arizona State net you nothing. I get that they're DTF but have some standards. You're bringing a lot of mediocre football teams to the Big 12. 

Swap Arizona for Utah. New state/ market, elite basketball.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

If I'm the Big 12, I want Utah, Oregon and Washington. Arizona and Arizona State net you nothing. I get that they're DTF but have some standards. You're bringing a lot of mediocre football teams to the Big 12. 

Arizona is a big basketball school. Supposedly we're trying that angle as hard as possible and it's the one thing we really stand out at compared to the P2.

Football is king. You get a much better rivalry game with BYU than anything Arizona can offer.

If this were just about good football matchups then they wouldn’t have taken Colorado, and they sure as hell wouldn’t be contemplating UConn.

Money wise, it’s better to get into the Arizona market than take a second team from Utah.

Yormark seems to really want UConn. If he can get UO and UW, I bet the rest of the members and the networks would let him go with them as the 16th member. That leaves the PAC with 7 and they can backfill with SDSU, SMU, and Tulane? Maybe UNLV?

Just now, Lonestar88 said:

If this were just about good football matchups then they wouldn’t have taken Colorado, and they sure as hell wouldn’t be contemplating UConn.

Money wise, it’s better to get into the Arizona market than take a second team from Utah.

No, they took Colorado because they're trying to destroy the Pac 12 so they can grab the better Pac 12 teams. I don't think they want UConn if they can get better teams out West. 

• Hook 'Em 2