Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

5 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I think we should give the Big 10 lots of credit for not being predatory here. I mean, it's not like they made an alliance with the Pac and then delivered a death blow to them by taking the LA market away. Props to them for taking the high road in all of this.

Yes, they truly are a conference of academic gentlemen.

28 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

People still go to sports bars?

I travel a pretty good bit. I enjoy sports bars. I love going to a new city on a Saturday or Sunday in the fall and taking with different football fans. I also drink a lot. My marriage is in trouble. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

But I was told on here last week that Oregon wasn't big enough for the Big10 to be interested. 

Yeah.  It's been reported that way.  Warren allegedly faced significant internal B1G pushback on the idea of further western expansion (Warren publicly mentioned UO, UW, Cal, and Stanford by name as potential expansion targets.)  

I guess the idea of "the fog of war" probably applies here.  

57 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

seriously that would pretty much put the SEC in prime position for the ACC candidates other than ND.

Maybe I'm being Warden Norton-level obtuse here,  but why would The Mouse, which is in the middle of slashing ESPN's costs, agree to pay ACC schools triple what they are already paying them to move over to the secsecsec? If losing a few specific schools (Free Shoes, Clemson, UNC, etc) voids the ACC's media deal, I could see it (pay the few that go SEC what they'd save on the full ACC deal).  Other than that.... why pay FSU or Clemson or any ACC school $100m when you've got them locked in at $31m until 2036.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, camel at sea said:

McMurphy has said all along that the Big Ten would take Oregon and Washington once the Big 12 delivered a kill shot to the PAC, first.   

51 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

But I was told on here last week that Oregon wasn't big enough for the Big10 to be interested. 

The "don't want to look predatory" doesn't make any sense, but it does make sense that UO and UW could go BIG if AU, ASU, and Utah agree to join the Big 12. My hope has been that the numbers were the problem and that UO and UW would join the Big 12. If they really qualify to join the BIG, then do it already, and we can finish with the four corners schools. I really don't want to miss out on UO and UW though if they don't meet the BIG's valuation and are looking to make more than the PAC apple deal. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

The "don't want to look predatory" doesn't make any sense, but it does make sense that UO and UW could go BIG if AU, ASU, and Utah agree to join the Big 12. My hope has been that the numbers were the problem and that UO and UW would join the Big 12. If they really qualify to join the BIG, then do it already, and we can finish with the four corners schools. I really don't want to miss out on UO and UW though if they don't meet the BIG's valuation and are looking to make more than the PAC apple deal. 

They aren't going to get a full share from the Big 10. That's the hold up. Not sure the Big 12 should take them over ASU and Utah if they are going to wait out the next media deal to try and get a full share in the Big 10.

25 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I agree with the above.....I also don't think that BIG wants Cal or Stanford.

Agreed.  Leaks happen for a reason.  Who benefits from this leak ?

If you're ESPN/Fox, there's no better way to get the other 4C school to jump than to scare the shit out of them about the PNW and Bay area schools going BIG.  By leaking it to Wetzel, Thamel, etc, it amps up what McMurphy and Dodds have been saying for a year, because it's now coming from new sources.  

I have always thought this was disinformation to destabilize the PAC, and still do.

When the BIG has actually added teams over the last 20 years, they have done so in silence.  No leaks with NU, RU, MD, USC or UCLA until the deals were done.

Now we're getting leaks on a small exploratory group early stage meeting ?  I don't buy it.

Also, if you add four West Coast schools, that means USC vs OSU, UM and PSU happen less often, unless they only add UW/UO and go to 10 games.

Once the 4C schools have gone B12, we'll see the report that the BIG decided they don't want to add anyone else.  That forces UW and UO to the B12.  ESPN and Fox would get them at $31m each, the B12 becomes even stronger, and has enough late-night inventory for both ESPN and FS1.

If I'm wrong, I'll take the L, but I don't think I'm wrong.

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

These 4 corner schools are not the biggest names in a conference worth low $20M per school and contractually they get $31M in the Big12 because of the current contract. But don't they devalue the conference (on a per school basis) relative to the next contract? or are some of these schools just going to move around contract to contract?

13 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I would love for them to come to the 12 if possible. Then add Uconn/Gonzaga for hoops only and that is #3 in football, #1 in hoops, and #2 in baseball. Hard to beat that. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I also think these leaks are being done to scare the 4 corners.

The Big 10 isn’t going to add a bunch of schools that don’t add value to their contract for the hell of it.

They definitely want Oregon/Washington dating back to the fully vetted rumors. I think it’s definitely an angle to get the Arizona schools to jump to the big 12. If those jump then Oregon/Washington is really possible for BIG. What will be interesting is CAL, Stanford, and Utah. Cal doesn’t seem desirable at all. 

16 minutes ago, Jasper_Jester said:

These 4 corner schools are not the biggest names in a conference worth low $20M per school and contractually they get $31M in the Big12 because of the current contract. But don't they devalue the conference (on a per school basis) relative to the next contract? or are some of these schools just going to move around contract to contract?

I think they're all on par with what the Big 12 is starting in 2024, including their value to media contracts. 

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

I think they're all on par with what the Big 12 is starting in 2024, including their value to media contracts. 

Also provides more late Saturday inventory without any of the networks having to pay for the PacX via a media rights deal.  Cuts the deadweight of WSU, OSU, Cal, and Stanford from the networks obligations.

• Hook 'Em 3

22 minutes ago, Jasper_Jester said:

ESPN and Fox are lowballing the PAC to kill it.

4C schools' value is that they are the dominos that need to fall to kill the PAC, and bring enough "After Dark" inventory for the B12 to now be the late-night conference.  Once they're in the B12, it also forces UW/UO to the B12 if the BIG says "Thanks bu no thanks".

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, USC Traveler said:

The Chair of the Board of Trustees at FSU said in an interview with Warchant that was linked somewhere itt "The GOR is the least of our worries."

He might be a dumbass, but he's far from a rando on the internet.

Remember how you were worried about money?  Well now you have a lot less to worry about.

49 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Maybe I'm being Warden Norton-level obtuse here,  but why would The Mouse, which is in the middle of slashing ESPN's costs, agree to pay ACC schools triple what they are already paying them to move over to the secsecsec? If losing a few specific schools (Free Shoes, Clemson, UNC, etc) voids the ACC's media deal, I could see it (pay the few that go SEC what they'd save on the full ACC deal).  Other than that.... why pay FSU or Clemson or any ACC school $100m when you've got them locked in at $31m until 2036.

I thought we had agreed that these new contracts are actually settlements to compensate the left behinds.  For all of the schools that have been screwed over by CR, no ESPN executive has had to sit for a sworn deposition. 

5 minutes ago, USC Traveler said:

ESPN and Fox are lowballing the PAC to kill it.

4C schools' value is that they are the dominos that need to fall to kill the PAC, and bring enough "After Dark" inventory for the B12 to now be the late-night conference.  Once they're in the B12, it also forces UW/UO to the B12 if the BIG says "Thanks bu no thanks".

I thought there were tweets that said that Fox would only go to 16 in the Big 12 if they were OR and WA?  ESPN would go to 16 as long as they were P5 adds.

Not sure I've ever seen a statement like that from a conference.  The leaks could easily be coming from Petiti himself, or at his direction.

Who is he getting his direction from ?  He used to work at ABC and CBS.  He's got relationships all over the business.

He's also got a tv deal that wasn't closed properly causing some friction with his tv partners.  

This leak would be a cheap way to help Fox and/or some of his old friends at ABC/ESPN out.

Just now, Josef Pwag said:

I just watched the FSU Board meeting. I've never seen anything like that. Multiple things they said are legally actionable right now. This will get so ugly. 

I didn't watch. I assumed they were just going to do the chop and then get excited that they know how to spell their name like usual.

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, gatormarc said:

I didn't watch. I assumed they were just going to do the chop and then get excited that they know how to spell their name like usual.

They are leaving the ACC. At the end of the meeting, twice, the chairman of the board had a sly smile on his face and said he would have an update sooner rather than later. Obviously, they already have a landing spot. They gone. Every board member agreed that staying in the ACC is not an option.

Edited by Josef Pwag

Just now, Josef Pwag said:

They are leaving the SEC. At the end of the meeting, twice, the chairman of the board had a sly smile on his face and said he would have an update sooner rather than later. Obviously, they already have a landing spot. They gone. Every board member agreed that staying in the ACC is not an option.

This is the other thing that makes me think the leaks about BIG looking at UW, UO, Stanford, Cal are disinformation.

FSU, Clemson, and Miami have more value for tv ratings, BTN and recruiting.  Plus, it forces ND to the BIG.

The BIG can add the PNW and Bay area schools anytime in the future- the SEC won't expand that far west.  

Why would the BIG add PAC schools now, before seeing what happens in the ACC ?

The real baller move here is if the BIG is floating the PAC stuff as a distraction, while they prepare to do a surgical strike and add ACC schools in silence.

While the CFB media was focused on NIL last June, the BIG was getting ready to add USC and UCLA.

Adding FSU and Clemson in the next two weeks while the media is focused on the PAC schools would be right out of the BIG's expansion playbook.

From the way FSU is acting, it sure seems like they have a deal with BIG or SEC already lined up.

• Hook 'Em 1

The long debate in this thread on streaming issues is not surprising to me. I have some investments in steaming and it is the Wild West.  

At home, I have Apple+, Roku, Netflix, Netflix DVDs, Disney, Max, Prime, multiple smart TV’s, Fire sticks, a Fire TV, Google sticks, and U-Verse.  The entire landscape is going to blow up soon because live sports is at the heart of the value equation. 

Every streaming service will angle for live sports deals, just like networks did for many years. That means the Apple offer is just the beginning. Prime and others are next. Expect steaming to win a lot of these deals.  

As far as the technology goes, it sounded like the entire thread was inhabited by 95 year old grandmothers. The steaming of live sports over any of these steaming services is a piece of cake, even for bars, etc. 

• Hook 'Em 1