Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

44 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

I get the economics of this move, but how in the hell do SC and UCLA expect the logistics of this move to work? From a fan support standpoint, the only direction butts in the seats can go for those two is up, but how in the world can they expect any other sport besides football to flourish?

Football is unique in that it plays a very limited slate of games. 5 to 7 times a year the team flies out and has to deal with the fatigue, stress, and disruption that comes with consistently hopping multiple time zones.

Every other sport is looking at best case twice that number of trips. As someone who used to fly cross country on a weekly basis, that type of schedule takes a physical and mental toll. At some point athletes will be thinking about is it really worth it to play at SC or UCLA and endure the travel and all that goes with it bs playing elsewhere.

Yea the B10 is playing the long game in this and probably doesn’t care a ton if it cripples the new adds in the other sports, but I am not sure if I am either school I could be convinced to pull the trigger without a few more nearby options just to help out my other sports.

the rona has proven that virtual learning can work.  not that it does work.  but it can work.  it works both ways too in the other sports where road swings out west will include setting up camp in LA for 6 days and playing both usc & ucla with a couple of mid-week trips up the coast for other matches.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

The $102 mil over 3 was an anomaly based on several factors, not the least of which was a whole football season and most of a basketball season played in front of ZERO fans.  Coupled with hefty buyout payments to Mora and Alford, and throw on top of that massively declining football attendance due to complete suckage, and there's your $102 (not really $40 mil per like that was the trend).  But there was nothing to indicate that there was a magic pill on the horizon to solve it.  So Jarmond had to find the magic pill, and this was it.  But it is a mischaracterization that the AD was bleeding $40 mil per year.  BUT, there was definitely going to be some olympic sport casualties.  no doubt about it.

Thanks for the clarification, man

1 hour ago, TrashMaster G said:

In no world is the last three years' results relevant to this discussion.  You cherry-picked that little stat solely so that you could post that on our board to give yourself a giggle.

5-13 vs Texas in the Big XII era is a million times more relevant, and you damn well know it.

You know that by any metric of current reality, ISU belongs in the Top 48.

The only argument against it is based on being bad for a long time, and why should that be an argument against a school that's Top 25 in attendance and Top 30 in viewers?  If this is about people caring about a game, there aren't 48 schools ahead of Iowa State and you damn well know it.

If this is a lifetime achievement award, call it what it is.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, Okie State said:

Can you at least admit how much bullshit it is that this is the case? Preseason polls shouldn't even exist let alone be based off of program prestige. It's a hilariously stupid system and it's amazing how many people love it.

Oh, yeah, everything about it sucks. It used to be harmless because people didn't even care enough about the national championship to make sure #1 played #2 at the end of the year, but those days are long gone and never coming back.

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

If Vandy hasn't been tossed by now, the SEC is never going to toss them aside.  They were a founding member of the SEC.

People keep talking about this, but Vandy is the SEC's only private school and all conferences want at least ONE private school so that the conference can deflect/avoid FOI type of requests or requirements.

41 minutes ago, TriStone said:

Better than a zero in forever event.

No shit, Sherlock, but I'm not the one posting through the thread shitting on schools, nor are you or David Dennison

"remember that one time when we had a legendary talent named VY and 38 guys who were future NFL players who overcame Mack Brown's coaching?  Well that's the reason we're better than Iowa State."

Yeah.  Color me unconvinced of that particular line of fart smelling.

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, Laxtonto said:

I get the economics of this move, but how in the hell do SC and UCLA expect the logistics of this move to work? From a fan support standpoint, the only direction butts in the seats can go for those two is up, but how in the world can they expect any other sport besides football to flourish?

Football is unique in that it plays a very limited slate of games. 5 to 7 times a year the team flies out and has to deal with the fatigue, stress, and disruption that comes with consistently hopping multiple time zones.

Every other sport is looking at best case twice that number of trips. As someone who used to fly cross country on a weekly basis, that type of schedule takes a physical and mental toll. At some point athletes will be thinking about is it really worth it to play at SC or UCLA and endure the travel and all that goes with it bs playing elsewhere.

Yea the B10 is playing the long game in this and probably doesn’t care a ton if it cripples the new adds in the other sports, but I am not sure if I am either school I could be convinced to pull the trigger without a few more nearby options just to help out my other sports.

Good question, I'm sure the answer looks something like this.

Money make it rain GIF - Find on GIFER

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

The only argument against it is based on being bad for a long time, and why should that be an argument against a school that's Top 25 in attendance and Top 30 in viewers?  If this is about people caring about a game, there aren't 48 schools ahead of Iowa State and you damn well know it.

Something, something, LEECHES, something, something, GRAVY TRAIN, and so on and so forth. Just accept it, we should all just join the wac.

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Something, something, LEECHES, something, something, GRAVY TRAIN, and so on and so forth. Just accept it, we should all just join the wac.

WAC probably wouldn't take us.  We bring nothing.  Definitely don't have Top 25 attendance or Top 30 TV ratings.  Nope.  Just leeches that no one cares about.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, ABSR said:

People keep talking about this, but Vandy is the SEC's only private school and all conferences want at least ONE private school so that the conference can deflect/avoid FOI type of requests or requirements.

You know, I've heard the same thing for years, but (old days, obviously) the Big 8 had no private members.

In fact, whatever Texas has on hand can be obtained by FOIA.  And others have published here and there the  various conference Grant of Rights and other documents.

Here's the ACC Grant of Rights, posted by a TV station.  And that conference has how many private schools?

https://wwwcache.wralsportsfan.com/asset/colleges/ncsu/2022/07/05/20361238/ACC-Grant-of-Rights-1-DMID1-5vgd1w2if.pdf

Edit.  Houston pubished their documents regarding joining the Big 12.   Initially, there were significant redactions, but gocoogs.com requested the 

unredacted document:

The University did not object to our request but refused to share the Big 12 contract based on “third-party privacy and proprietary interests.” UH’s general counsel asked the Attorney General’s office to decide if the Big 12 could prevent the release of the documents. By law, the conference was given two weeks to state their objections. We wrote about that in late September.

The Big 12’s response required the AG to rule on the matter within 45 business days of receiving all documentation. On December 16, the State sent a letter stating that UH could withhold limited information due to competitive harm to the Big 12 but must release most of the agreement.

https://gocoogs.com/big-12-contract/?fbclid=IwAR1dIjFBT5XTXdtIzF8CnwIgQo3qtQYuXDuc3NMxbdhWXQ782vC4IYBzdAs

Edited by Francisco 2.0

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I don't know who you're arguing with in this post, but it ain't me.

This is an interesting discussion, and I don't necessarily disagree with you, but in reality it comes down to a dog-and-pony show as much as anything else.  I found the following which has average football viewers in 2021 to get an idea of the teams and to work to segregate into the "Yes", "Maybe" and "No" in order to get to your Top 48 options.

https://medium.com/run-it-back-with-zach/which-college-football-programs-were-the-most-watched-in-2021-49ef4f315858

Some assumptions I make are that SEC and Big 10 all get in (no change to current membership) and while I love the military academies, and Navy and Army have the eyeballs in top 48, they don't make the cut.  One thing that is in question is what about basketball schools?   I throw some into "Maybe" that certainly don't make it based on football alone (Kansas, Duke).

The number next to them is their average football viewership from the link above. 

So who are your nine Maybe's to make the cut?

YES (39)

Ohio State — 5.22M,  Michigan — 4.74M, Alabama — 4.64M, Penn State — 3.87M, Georgia — 3.61M,  Oklahoma — 3.46M,   Auburn — 3.22M, Michigan State — 2.89M, Notre Dame — 2.84M, Oregon — 2.57M, Wisconsin — 2.41M, Nebraska — 2.29M,     Texas — 2.26M, Florida — 2.21M, Arkansas — 2.03M, LSU — 1.90M, Texas A&M — 1.86M, Mississippi — 1.81M, Clemson — 1.74M, Iowa — 1.64M, Purdue — 1.63M,  Oklahoma State — 1.58M, Tennessee — 1.51M, Minnesota — 1.28M, Florida State — 1.27M,  Indiana — 1.24M, UCLA — 1.18M, Illinois — 1.13M, Southern Cal — 1.11M, Kentucky — 1.08M, Miami — 1.038M, Maryland — 971K, Mississippi State — 858K, Stanford — 778K (if they want in I think they are in), Northwestern — 716K, South Carolina — 575K, Rutgers — 488K, Missouri — 462K, Vanderbilt — 37K

So there are 9 from the Maybe list to get to 48. 

MAYBE (30)

Iowa State — 1.219M, Cincinnati — 1.216M, Baylor — 1.16M (I say F'em),  North Carolina — 1.032M (with basketball I think they get in), Utah — 994K, Washington — 985K, West Virginia — 948K, TCU — 907K, BYU — 893K, Texas Tech — 798K, Arizona State — 739K, Boise State — 657K, Kansas State — 636K, Louisville — 616K, Virginia — 611K, Pittsburgh — 550K, Kansas — 540K (Without basketball they are a hard no), Wake Forest — 526K, NC State — 525K, Washington State — 483K, Georgia Tech — 459K, Virginia Tech — 447K, UCF — 407K,  Colorado — 366K,  Arizona — 337K (need basketball to matter to be considered), Louisiana — 334K (basketball helps push them up a lot), Oregon State — 321K, South Florida — 303K,   California — 222K (I think if they push they get it), Duke — 64K (need basketball to matter to be considered),

NO

Navy — 1.039M,  Army — 804K

Tulsa — 358K, Tulane — 356K, East Carolina — 301K, Air Force — 255K, Appalachian State — 241K, Houston — 232K, Coastal Carolina — 223K, Syracuse — 219K, San Diego State — 198K, Memphis — 193K, Western Michigan — 171K, SMU — 164K,  UAB — 163K, Northern Illinois — 163K, Boston College — 156K, Hawaii — 139K, Ohio — 130K,     Eastern Michigan — 122K, Buffalo — 119K, Kent State — 117K, Temple — 112.7K, Ball State — 112.6K, Western Kentucky — 97K,    Utah State — 91K, Akron — 90K, Marshall — 85K, Nevada — 78K, UTEP — 63K, Colorado State — 59K, San Jose State — 59K,    UTSA — 51.9K,  Georgia State — 51.7K, ULM — 50K, Fresno State — 45K, Wyoming — 38K, UNLV — 34K, South Alabama — 26K, New Mexico — 25K, Troy — 24K

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

You’re already in the wac.  It’s just named the big 12.  Enjoy pullman

as for ISU beating us three years I. A row, great. But we still got the golden ticket.   If Boise st had played usc annually the last 15 years they likely win ten of those games.  And yet, they’ll likely be in the wac with you guys

Edited by closetohumping

1 minute ago, LTbear said:

No idea as to reliability of this tweeter

The protocol for prospective members is they apply to a new conference.

That way their new conference isn't subject to lawsuits. Yes, I'm sure the Big 12 has offered all 6 behind the scenes, but I doubt Pac prospects were given a 30-day deadline.

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

You’re already in the wac.  It’s just named the big 12.  Enjoy pullman

ISU = Abilene Christian. Lol. You realize there is middle ground between the SEC and fucking WAC, right? Or whatever, you've made your point. Only bluebloods, prestige worldwide, have fun with that.

5 minutes ago, ABSR said:

This is an interesting discussion, and I don't necessarily disagree with you, but in reality it comes down to a dog-and-pony show as much as anything else.  I found the following which has average football viewers in 2021 to get an idea of the teams and to work to segregate into the "Yes", "Maybe" and "No" in order to get to your Top 48 options.

https://medium.com/run-it-back-with-zach/which-college-football-programs-were-the-most-watched-in-2021-49ef4f315858

Some assumptions I make are that SEC and Big 10 all get in (no change to current membership) and while I love the military academies, and Navy and Army have the eyeballs in top 48, they don't make the cut.  One thing that is in question is what about basketball schools?   I throw some into "Maybe" that certainly don't make it based on football alone (Kansas, Duke).

The number next to them is their average football viewership from the link above. 

So who are your nine Maybe's to make the cut?

YES (39)

Ohio State — 5.22M,  Michigan — 4.74M, Alabama — 4.64M, Penn State — 3.87M, Georgia — 3.61M,  Oklahoma — 3.46M,   Auburn — 3.22M, Michigan State — 2.89M, Notre Dame — 2.84M, Oregon — 2.57M, Wisconsin — 2.41M, Nebraska — 2.29M,     Texas — 2.26M, Florida — 2.21M, Arkansas — 2.03M, LSU — 1.90M, Texas A&M — 1.86M, Mississippi — 1.81M, Clemson — 1.74M, Iowa — 1.64M, Purdue — 1.63M,  Oklahoma State — 1.58M, Tennessee — 1.51M, Minnesota — 1.28M, Florida State — 1.27M,  Indiana — 1.24M, UCLA — 1.18M, Illinois — 1.13M, Southern Cal — 1.11M, Kentucky — 1.08M, Miami — 1.038M, Maryland — 971K, Mississippi State — 858K, Stanford — 778K (if they want in I think they are in), Northwestern — 716K, South Carolina — 575K, Rutgers — 488K, Missouri — 462K, Vanderbilt — 37K

So there are 9 from the Maybe list to get to 48. 

MAYBE (30)

Iowa State — 1.219M, Cincinnati — 1.216M, Baylor — 1.16M (I say F'em),  North Carolina — 1.032M (with basketball I think they get in), Utah — 994K, Washington — 985K, West Virginia — 948K, TCU — 907K, BYU — 893K, Texas Tech — 798K, Arizona State — 739K, Boise State — 657K, Kansas State — 636K, Louisville — 616K, Virginia — 611K, Pittsburgh — 550K, Kansas — 540K (Without basketball they are a hard no), Wake Forest — 526K, NC State — 525K, Washington State — 483K, Georgia Tech — 459K, Virginia Tech — 447K, UCF — 407K,  Colorado — 366K,  Arizona — 337K (need basketball to matter to be considered), Louisiana — 334K (basketball helps push them up a lot), Oregon State — 321K, South Florida — 303K,   California — 222K (I think if they push they get it), Duke — 64K (need basketball to matter to be considered),

NO

Navy — 1.039M,  Army — 804K

Tulsa — 358K, Tulane — 356K, East Carolina — 301K, Air Force — 255K, Appalachian State — 241K, Houston — 232K, Coastal Carolina — 223K, Syracuse — 219K, San Diego State — 198K, Memphis — 193K, Western Michigan — 171K, SMU — 164K,  UAB — 163K, Northern Illinois — 163K, Boston College — 156K, Hawaii — 139K, Ohio — 130K,     Eastern Michigan — 122K, Buffalo — 119K, Kent State — 117K, Temple — 112.7K, Ball State — 112.6K, Western Kentucky — 97K,    Utah State — 91K, Akron — 90K, Marshall — 85K, Nevada — 78K, UTEP — 63K, Colorado State — 59K, San Jose State — 59K,    UTSA — 51.9K,  Georgia State — 51.7K, ULM — 50K, Fresno State — 45K, Wyoming — 38K, UNLV — 34K, South Alabama — 26K, New Mexico — 25K, Troy — 24K

Iowa State, leech of leeches, valueless, is ahead of 1/3rd of the guaranteed "YES" group.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

ISU = Abilene Christian. Lol. You realize there is middle ground between the SEC and fucking WAC, right? Or whatever, you've made your point. Only bluebloods, prestige worldwide, have fun with that.

I will.  Football will be fun in the sec even if we’re getting our ass kicked

8 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Dude some poster on this board literally said a few days ago that institutions are "intimidated by the Texas brand." L. O. Fucking. L. Too many of them are judging the size of their own dicks by the number of WalMart hicks that buy their schools merchandise while their porgram is an utter joke on the field. Those few you just can't argue with. 

*Obligatory note that I'm NOT describing the majority of people here and it's why I enjoy this board. Usually good discussion. 

Edited by LTbear

1 hour ago, slorch said:

No shit, Sherlock, but I'm not the one posting through the thread shitting on schools, nor are you or David Dennison

"remember that one time when we had a legendary talent named VY and 38 guys who were future NFL players who overcame Mack Brown's coaching?  Well that's the reason we're better than Iowa State."

Yeah.  Color me unconvinced of that particular line of fart smelling.

Are you seriously trying to argue that Iowa State has a better football program than Texas?

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Are you seriously trying to argue that Iowa State has a better football program than Texas?

NO.  Can you read, brother?

The point was that the VY MNC had fuckall to do with UT's trajectory in this whole decision, counter to a case posited by another poster.

Edited by slorch

7 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

You sound like a guy who's never gotten his ass kicked. Bravo

Been a fan for twenty years.   First I don’t think we’re going to get our ass kicked throughout as I think the 22 and 23 classes will make us competitive. Second, I’ve been kicked in the nuts the last twenty years and yet every August I’m pretty excited about the start of the season. Plus I want to see how our non revenue sports do.  

Just now, closetohumping said:

Last I checked they didn’t want us in the league and don’t want to be in a pod with us.  Go figure.  Maybe we should join y’all in the wac.  Will you take us back?

I was just saying we've heard the line of reasoning in your post before, then the aggies have spent the last 10 years or so trying to convince us they're now a better class of loser.

5 minutes ago, ABSR said:

So you're saying life isn't fair?    Come on man, spoiler that shit!

I'm saying that in a conversation about value, the ability of pretty much everyone to ignore some of the real life stats that indicate value is something else.

If you're trying to get the most valuable and worthwhile properties into the next level, and the cut off is 48, it's pretty clear that ISU fits.  If this is about building tree forts, well, we were ugly in 4th grade and no one in this town cares what we look like now.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

You know, I've heard the same thing for years, but (old days, obviously) the Big 8 had no private members.

In fact, whatever Texas has on hand can be obtained by FOIA.  And others have published here and there the  various conference Grant of Rights and other documents.

Yes Texas, and UH, as public institutions have to comply with FOIA.  However, Baylor (rape cover up, murder cover up, shit heads overall) can say they only have a "verbal report" about the wrong doings and nobody can FOIA them (They could be sued or part of a criminal instigation and that is different obligations than just FOIA requests/requirements).

And as the Big 12 is made up of some private schools, with the rights of the private institutions, the Big 12 can use the same restrictions as other private institutions even though they have Public members.   They can also release whatever they choose as well.

Conferences themselves are not public institutions and not subject to FOIA. Public schools on their end are subject to FOIA disclosure (subject to the rules on certain types of information). Private schools are not subject to FOIA. The idea that a private school is required to make a conference private makes no sense. It's already not a public institution subject to FOIA. They may have other disclosure requirements based on their business form and maybe by the NCAA.

Edited by 'stache
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LTbear said:

No idea as to reliability of this tweeter. Prob BS but hey just for shits and giggles 

I just sent Kate Beckinsale a contract to have sex with me. She has 30 days or she loses out. One time offer, babe. 

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Conferences themselves are not public institutions and not subject to FOIA. Public schools on their end are subject to FOIA disclosure (subject to the rules on certain types of information). Private schools are not subject to FOIA. The idea that a private school is required to make a conference private makes no sense. It's already not a public institution subject to FOIA. They may have other disclosure requirements based on their business form and maybe by the NCAA.

Fucking this.  A BS urban legend in the same category as “you automatically get all A’s for the semester if your roommate dies.”  Conferences don’t have a private school in its membership to avoid FOIA. Total myth  

Can we once and for all dismiss this BS line of thinking?  Please?

Edited by Uncle Nate

Iowa State, leech of leeches, valueless, is ahead of 1/3rd of the guaranteed "YES" group.

You are salty as hell for a fan of a school that no one gives a shit about despite the fact they have been halfway decent for 5 minutes. And yes, halfway decent is all it takes to beat Texas 3 years in a row since the Strong years. You should feel bad it isn't 7 in a row. 

Edited by Llogg
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Deej said:

I just sent Kate Beckinsale a contract to have sex with me. She has 30 days or she loses out. One time offer, babe. 

Your mistake posting that here. Now I'm sending her a contract offer with an expiration of fifteen day as we speak.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Llogg said:

You are salty as hell for a fan of a school that no one gives a shit about despite the fact they have been halfway decent for 5 minutes. And yes, halfway decent is all it takes to beat Texas 3 years in a row since the Strong years. You should feel bad it isn't 7 in a row. 

The hubris it takes for you guys to think we should just shut the fuck up and be happy to get relegated is something. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

The hubris it takes for you guys to think we should just shut the fuck up and be happy to get relegated is something. 

I'm not saying you should be happy about it. But it shouldn't be a surprise. Water is wet. No one gives a shit about Iowa State. The sun will continue to rise in the east.