Do you live in Dripping Springs or DISD? Sign this petition please

immamac

Don’t have a dog in the fight but hiring certified bilingual teachers is really tough. Districts are paying huge stipends to out-recruit other districts. AISD is bringing teachers over from Spain right now to fill the void. It might help her argument if she has a solution for this.

Did you recently move out here or is your wife looking to either get hired by DSISD or does she already work for our district?

& FYI, if Thaddeus Fortenberry & / or Joanna Day don't get elected come Tuesday, your petition is as good as muerte.  The other two running (Olivia & Tricia) are as GQP as anyone you can find & are probably trying tostarve the district into eliminating pretty much ALL public education.

15 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

Did you recently move out here or is your wife looking to either get hired by DSISD or does she already work for our district?

& FYI, if Thaddeus Fortenberry & / or Joanna Day don't get elected come Tuesday, your petition is as good as muerte.  The other two running (Olivia & Tricia) are as GQP as anyone you can find & are probably trying tostarve the district into eliminating pretty much ALL public education.

It’s going to be Olivia and Joanna. The cray keep getting seats one election at a time.

Spoiler because this is sort of edgelord jerkoff hot take and I only 49% believe it: 

Spoiler

My spouse teaches on east side of AISD. Immigrants don't want dual language. It is toy to keep white and/or rich parents in the district from rebelling. And then it pisses off the district HQ dual language advocates because then the school (which does not emphasize dual language) does well. The refugees (often from from El Salvador or gang affected Mexico) want to learn English as fast as possible. So the funny thing is that often the district struggles to get actual native Spanish speaking kids to enroll, and the model doesn't really work unless kids are bullshitting about pokemon and marvel movies in Spanish. 

That said... it's nice enrichment for white/rich folks. If my neighborhood school offered it, I would have had my kids try it. But don't kid yourselves... it's a resume stuffer for Madison and Jaxon, and not actually to first generation speakers direft benefit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, CleverNickname said:

Spoiler because this is sort of edgelord jerkoff hot take and I only 49% believe it: 

Hide contents

My spouse teaches on east side of AISD. Immigrants don't want dual language. It is toy to keep white and/or rich parents in the district from rebelling. And then it pisses off the district HQ dual language advocates because then the school (which does not emphasize dual language) does well. The refugees (often from from El Salvador or gang affected Mexico) want to learn English as fast as possible. So the funny thing is that often the district struggles to get actual native Spanish speaking kids to enroll, and the model doesn't really work unless kids are bullshitting about pokemon and marvel movies in Spanish. 

That said... it's nice enrichment for white/rich folks. If my neighborhood school offered it, I would have had my kids try it. But don't kid yourselves... it's a resume stuffer for Madison and Jaxon, and not actually to first generation speakers direft benefit. 

There’s some truth to this. AISD was floating the idea of making every school dual language for a while until they realized Ms. Smith, the kindergarten teacher that everybody loves, would have to be replaced with a bilingual teacher. They can’t even find bilingual teachers anyway.

Just because I like to throw a bomb then walk away. White schools adding dual language steals bilingual teachers from schools where they are most needed and where Spanish is necessary to communicate with parents so that kids with advantages can have one more thing. 

* I don’t necessarily believe that but you will definitely hear the argument.

• Hook 'Em 1

It’s going to be Olivia and Joanna. The cray keep getting seats one election at a time.

I hope to God not. Joanna and Thaddeus are quality people truly fighting for quality public education.

Olivia has over 70% of her funding from out of state and is doxxing mebers of the community on turning point USA.

Tricia is trying to adopt a no new revenue tax rate which if adopted will jeopardize state funding due to the laws that the legislature has set. There is a reason that no school districts in Texas have adopted this kind of tax rate.

If they win it will be a mess and funding for the school district will take a major hit if the policies they are running on are adopted. They are both running on raising teachers pay, which will be impossible if they fuck with the tax rate.

I get it, we all want lower taxes, but not at the expense of public education. It all starts with the legislature and the laws they have enacted.

3 hours ago, Larry T. Spider said:

There’s some truth to this. AISD was floating the idea of making every school dual language for a while until they realized Ms. Smith, the kindergarten teacher that everybody loves, would have to be replaced with a bilingual teacher. They can’t even find bilingual teachers anyway.

Don’t they just need a Spanish speaking one and keep Ms Smith? Then they swap classes at lunch.  That’s what the Mandarin programs in AISD looks like - half day only English/half day only Mandarin.

8 hours ago, immamac said:

well I'm not white and my kid is bilingual already so it's not just for rich white people, it's for rich mexicans too. 

You can both be White and Mexican. Any argument to the contrary should be taken up with the people from Monterrey.

You can both be White and Mexican. Any argument to the contrary should be taken up with the people from Monterrey.

Yep. My great grandparents are from Monterrey and their last name was Ratcliff. G-Gma’s maiden name was von der Meden.

My daughter is surely checking that Hispanic box on college apps.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

Yep. My great grandparents are from Monterrey and their last name was Ratcliff. G-Gma’s maiden name was von der Meden.

My daughter is surely checking that Hispanic box on college apps.

As she should. My daughter is Asian, Black, and White. She is checking whatever box is advantageous to her when the time comes. She can pass for all depending on how she styles her hair. She can pass for Hispanic and Pacific Islander too.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Kringelbert Fishtybuns said:

Don’t they just need a Spanish speaking one and keep Ms Smith? Then they swap classes at lunch.  That’s what the Mandarin programs in AISD looks like - half day only English/half day only Mandarin.

If there are native Spanish speakers in the class, they will need all day bilingual instruction, at least in the earlier years. There are many different models but most start with almost all Spanish instruction then they are down to 1 subject by 5th grade. 

Look, drip is in good hands right now. The liberals are fucking up paradise. The only thing wrong with drip is they managed to fuck themselves into a corner that they can't get out of. It wasn't because of ineptitude. It was because they don't know that shit flows down hill. 

Fucking idiot gqp running that city into the ground.  What? 2 year development moratoriums are good....right?  Right??? Get ready for it, drip is in for a world of hurt because of all the idiots involved in that city . 

That vent was worth the impending ban. Whoossaaahhhh.

11 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Look, drip is in good hands right now. The liberals are fucking up paradise. The only thing wrong with drip is they managed to fuck themselves into a corner that they can't get out of. It wasn't because of ineptitude. It was because they don't know that shit flows down hill. 

Fucking idiot gqp running that city into the ground.  What? 2 year development moratoriums are good....right?  Right??? Get ready for it, drip is in for a world of hurt because of all the idiots involved in that city . 

That vent was worth the impending ban. Whoossaaahhhh.

It's way more complicated than a party issue.  The wastewater plant would have been up and running but for a judge who overturned the permit which was thoroughly vetted and properly issued.   The judge is a nutbag (Guerra Gamble) but a lot of the original protestors were downstream landowners (including Garry Keller of Keller Williams) so it was hairy.

They had to impose the moratorium, they have nowhere to put their treated effluent otherwise.

On 5/6/2022 at 6:24 PM, 1978horn said:

Olivia has over 70% of her funding from out of state and is doxxing mebers of the community on turning point USA.

A pretty good rule to go by is NEVER vote for anyone that is raising campaign funds for a damn school board seat.  That's a solid sign they aren't in it for the right reasons.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2