Texas nature documentary, narrated by McConaughey

LTbear

Ben Masters does amazing work. Also see Unbranded which I believe was his first documentary. Him and his buddies drove some wild mustangs from Mexico to Canada, roughly along the Continental Divide. 

Aggy, but a great guy. His films made me interested in getting deeper into public land policy and preservation. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Ben Masters does amazing work. Also see Unbranded which I believe was his first documentary. Him and his buddies drove some wild mustangs from Mexico to Canada, roughly along the Continental Divide. 

Aggy, but a great guy. His films made me interested in getting deeper into public land policy and preservation. 

Correct. 

The River and Wall is better than Unbranded, but both are terrific. 

• 1 month later...

Saw it toward the end of its theater run a few weeks ago. We rarely go to theaters but it seemed like the kind of movie worth going for. Really enjoyed it, the camera work is incredible. Appreciate that they didn't shy away from some of the less warm and fuzzy moments. The mountain lion/bear trapping issue is infuriating.

Echo the praise for The River and The Wall - fantastic film, equally beautiful shots of Big Bend and down the Rio Grande.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 6/3/2022 at 2:02 PM, Biff Tannen said:

He owns a ranch in Fayette county where he rescues mustangs, so I last heard. We need more like him in texas. 

I'd never seen a wild horse in my life, but after moving to Scottsdale back in '17, I learned there was an enormous herd of them that hang out near the Salt River some 35-40 minutes away in the outback.  They've got a really steady routine, as around the same time each day, they make their way to one of the reservoirs along the river and get a drink, go for a swim, or just stand around in the water cooling off.

I set up out there one morning hoping to see them do their thing, and sure enough right around the predicted time they showed up en masse, enjoyed the water for a while, and then it was like someone blew a whistle and shouted "out of the pool," and they meandered off to wherever they go.

Those manes of theirs can get really wild when they're not being groomed.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 7/23/2022 at 11:20 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

Watched it tonight. Fantastic. No cute euphemisms, I basically cried through the entire movie.

On 7/24/2022 at 10:04 AM, gmr548 said:

Saw it toward the end of its theater run a few weeks ago. We rarely go to theaters but it seemed like the kind of movie worth going for. Really enjoyed it, the camera work is incredible. Appreciate that they didn't shy away from some of the less warm and fuzzy moments. The mountain lion/bear trapping issue is infuriating.

Echo the praise for The River and The Wall - fantastic film, equally beautiful shots of Big Bend and down the Rio Grande.

Watched it tonight and echo both of these sentiments.

Edit: ir should be required viewing for anyone who calls themself a Texan.

Edited by bolverk
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 6/2/2022 at 2:03 PM, LTbear said:

Didn't see a thread on it. You can start buying tickets online. Unfortunately I live a thousand miles away but figured some of you fucks might enjoy it. 

https://www.deepintheheartwildlife.com/watch

A few clips in there of the Bracken bats.

If you've never been, get yourself a $75 BCI membership. Cheap and will get you a summer visit (for 4 to 6 people) to the cave and a sight you'll see nowhere on earth. We've done it a 1/2 dozen times and it never gets old. Incredible stuff. It's bind moggling that the bats eat 140 tons of insects every night after leaving the cave. 

Edited by Wally Pryor
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

A few clips in there of the Bracken bats.

If you've never been, get yourself a $75 BCI membership. Cheap and will get you a summer visit (for 4 to 6 people) to the cave and a sight you'll see nowhere on earth. We've done it a 1/2 dozen times and it never gets old. Incredible stuff. It's bind moggling that the bats eat 140 tons of insects every night after leaving the cave. 

I have a $45 membership and can get up to 3 guests.  Still have yet to go though.  The spots book up in a matter of minutes usually.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Biff Tannen said:

I have a $45 membership and can get up to 3 guests.  Still have yet to go though.  The spots book up in a matter of minutes usually.

Yeah, you have to jump on it when they open up the viewings each (early) April.

As cool as the massive volume of bats is, watching the coachwhips and hawks doing their things on the bats is just as fascinating. 

On 7/24/2022 at 9:04 AM, gmr548 said:

The mountain lion/bear trapping issue is infuriating.

Ya, Texas is generally an absolute embarrassment when it comes to conservation. I believe we've been the only state to not have hunting regulations (seasons and bag limits) on mountain lions for, at minimum, a couple decades. Probably more. 

• Hook 'Em 1

For that matter, Texas also has some of the best remaining habitat for Mexican wolf reintroduction, but it will never get off the ground. Texas has also had two separate additional national parks suggested and studied by the NPS - one at Palo Duro, one in the Davis Mountains - but both times the federal gubmnt has been run outta town for being tree huggers and animal lovers. 

• Rage+1 2