Austin Transportation & Roadways

Longhorn Al

But MLK is the first corridor project done on time!  Except it's not.  I can't wait to see how the first egress on that shitshow, which is still under active construction you lying pieces of shit in the Mayor's office, works out for LA Tech of LSU gameday.  How the fuck do you shitheads sleep at night with such out and out lies?  It's not fucking done yet.  You blatantly advertise it everywhere, but I was just there and I wouldn't call that much construction equipment and police assistance "a completed corridor."  

9 minutes ago, Lobo said:

But MLK is the first corridor project done on time!  Except it's not.  I can't wait to see how the first egress on that shitshow, which is still under active construction you lying pieces of shit in the Mayor's office, works out for LA Tech of LSU gameday.  How the fuck do you shitheads sleep at night with such out and out lies?  It's not fucking done yet.  You blatantly advertise it everywhere, but I was just there and I wouldn't call that much construction equipment and police assistance "a completed corridor."  

The city did not say the MLK corridor project was done on time. They were talking about a project in the Guadalupe corridor between MLK and 18th.

2 hours ago, Pasken said:

The city did not say the MLK corridor project was done on time. They were talking about a project in the Guadalupe corridor between MLK and 18th.

You’re not right; my bad.  I meant Guadalupe corridor project at MLK.  Anyway, it’s still a shitshow up there.  

As for IH-35 split...(Jim Carrey voice): our deck’s heads are falling off!

These are the targeted early out projects for the corridor project in 2020:

• Burnet Road intersections (Koenig, Braker)
• South Lamar enhanced multimodal improvements (Riverside to Barton Springs IIRC)
• North Lamar Boulevard and East Riverside Drive (Critical Safety and Mobility Improvements)
• CAMPO-funded projects 
      -William Cannon (SW Prky to McKinney Falls Prky)
      -Slaughter Lane (FM 1826 to Vertex Blvd.)

Burnet and Braker (5 new lanes)
-Install dual left turn lanes on all 4 approaches 
-Add new right turn only lane on Braker WB

Burnet and Braker (5 new lanes)
-Add new right turn only lane on 2222 WB
-Add new right turn only lane on 2222 EB

Click to enlarge:
Burnet-Breaker.jpg
Burnet-2222.jpg

On 8/16/2019 at 5:50 PM, Pasken said:

It's all here: http://loop360project.com/walshtarltonvirtualworkshop/

Cap Metro is opening up the new contra lane to get buses from Lavaca to the drag. It'll cut a lot of time from routes now that buses can avoid the Lavaca light.

16th is now 2 way near there.  Overheard a fender bender happen this morning, probably from traffic coming from places it didn't used to come from.

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Chet Steadman said:

I don’t ever have the need to take the Mopac toll but holy hell, I swear at least 2-3x a week there’s a broken down vehicle in either the northbound or southbound lane.  

That shite must be infuriating.  

The 183 North project will add a second toll lane in each direction on Mopac from 183 to 2222 but there isn't much they can do after that because of the rail road moving to the median. The 183 North project will install 2 toll lanes in each direction from Mopac to the 183 tollway as well as direct connector ramps from 183 North to the Mopac Toll Lanes.  Hopefully, they pick the dual toll lane option for Mopac South. 

6 hours ago, MAUFRAIS said:

How often did you walk to the crazy lady?

Ahh, Austin’s oldest strip club. Gone but not forgotten. Went there a couple times in the mid-90s. Seemed like the “strippers” there were the same ones that where there when it first opened back in the 70s.  By the mid 90s they didn’t really strip, just sat at the bar with a bunch of old dudes lookin for free booze. 

1 hour ago, JimmyJames said:

Ahh, Austin’s oldest strip club. Gone but not forgotten. Went there a couple times in the mid-90s. Seemed like the “strippers” there were the same ones that where there when it first opened back in the 70s.  By the mid 90s they didn’t really strip, just sat at the bar with a bunch of old dudes lookin for free booze. 

I wasn’t an old dude, and I wasn’t looking for free booze you sonuvabitch.

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I wasn’t an old dude, and I wasn’t looking for free booze you sonuvabitch.

Well the “strippers” sure were. If you were into 50 plus year old strippers wearing skimpy clothing, doing tequila shots and smoking cigarettes well the crazy lady was the place for you. 

• Haha 1

TxDot is going to make some much needed merge improvements to 183 between 35 and Mopac. These changes will all minimize vehicles forcibly merging with one another and slowing down all traffic. 

-Constructing a northbound auxiliary, or merge, lane from southbound I-35 to the Ohlen Road-Payton Gin Road exit ramp
-Constructing a northbound auxiliary lane from the entrance ramp near Lamar Boulevard to the US 183 exit ramp at Burnet Road
-Constructing a southbound auxiliary lane from the entrance ramp near Burnet to the Lamar exit ramp
-Adding a main lane from the southbound I-35 exit to the Cameron exit
-Adding a left-turn lane and pedestrian accommodations at Lamar on the northbound frontage road
-Closing the northbound US 183 entrance ramp at Georgian Drive (This entrance won't be needed once the flyover from 35S to 183 North is finished.)

Open House – I-35 Capital Express South
I-35 from SH 71/Ben White Boulevard to SH 45 Southeast.
Thursday, Oct. 17, 2019
5:30 p.m. - 7:30 p.m.
Akins High School

Open House – I-35 Capital Express North
SH 45 North to US 290 East. 
Thursday, Oct. 24, 2019
5:30 p.m. - 7:30 p.m.
John B. Connally High School

On 9/17/2019 at 5:56 PM, Pasken said:

TxDot is going to make some much needed merge improvements to 183 between 35 and Mopac. These changes will all minimize vehicles forcibly merging with one another and slowing down all traffic. 

-Constructing a northbound auxiliary, or merge, lane from southbound I-35 to the Ohlen Road-Payton Gin Road exit ramp
-Constructing a northbound auxiliary lane from the entrance ramp near Lamar Boulevard to the US 183 exit ramp at Burnet Road
-Constructing a southbound auxiliary lane from the entrance ramp near Burnet to the Lamar exit ramp
-Adding a left-turn lane and pedestrian accommodations at Lamar on the northbound frontage road
-Closing the northbound US 183 entrance ramp at Georgian Drive (This entrance won't be needed once the flyover from 35S to 183 North is finished.)

I hope they're all camper friendly

On 9/17/2019 at 5:56 PM, Pasken said:

spacer.png

• Like 5

The Red River swap was approved. Here are the highlights:

-UT will pay for everything except traffic lights

-Project will fix Red River alignment at 15th street so street is continuous 

-North Segment of New Red River Street" is the new alignment and configuration of Red River Street to be built within the New RR ROW from the northern boundary of MLK Boulevard to East Dean Keeton Street as described and shown in Exhibits A and .!1to this Agreement. The North Segment of New Red River Street includes a traffic signal at the intersection of Clyde Littlefield Drive, a traffic signal at Deloss Dodds Way, and may, at the discretion of UT Austin, include a pedestrian hybrid beacon, a pedestrian rapid flashing beacon, or alternative pedestrian beacon or alert (PHB) in between Deloss Dodds Way and Trinity Street. (the traffic signals but not any PHB are collectively referred to as the "Traffic Signals"). The North Segment of New Red River Street is located wholly within the UT Austin campus.

-South Segme11t of New Red River Street" is the re-configuration of the traffic signal and the intersection at MLK Boulevard and existing Red River Street and the re-alignment and configuration of a segment of Red River Street south of MLK Boulevard as described and shown in Exhibit A to this Agreement.

-UT Austin shall be responsible for all costs and for the management of the design and, as applicable, permitting of the Project including (i) the development of the engineering design and plans and specifications for the New Road, Relocation of Existing Utilities (including remediation of asbestos-cement lines and replacement of concrete steel cylinder water lines), and the University Improvements, (ii) the surveying required for the Project, and (iii) any required environmental assessments and clearances and other approvals associated with the Project.

-The Project plans and specifications for the New Road shall comply with COA Complete Streets policy for the area between the curbs to the extent reasonably feasible and not in conflict with the other terms and provisions of this Agreement.

-UT Austin estimates that the Red River Street Closure will occur on or about December 2, 2019. UT Austin will provide the City with at least 30 days advance written notice of the date UT Austin requires the Red River Street Closure and the City will implement the Red River Street Closure as of that date.

-UT Austin shall notify the City of Substantial Completion, which shall occur no later than thirty (30) months following UT Austin's submission to the City of its Affidavit of Commencement, subject to Force Majeure Delays.

document-AF795666-FB92-4620-7372117-C269

1 hour ago, wood said:

So, on the South Mopac extension ... why is there a sound wall going up right next to a big tract of vacant land while neighborhoods right next to the highway get none (&have none planned iirc)?

:sound wall talk not going away:

What neighborhoods don't have sound walls?

On 9/23/2019 at 9:00 AM, Pasken said:

The Red River swap was approved. Here are the highlights:

-UT will pay for everything except traffic lights

-Project will fix Red River alignment at 15th street so street is continuous 

-North Segment of New Red River Street" is the new alignment and configuration of Red River Street to be built within the New RR ROW from the northern boundary of MLK Boulevard to East Dean Keeton Street as described and shown in Exhibits A and .!1to this Agreement. The North Segment of New Red River Street includes a traffic signal at the intersection of Clyde Littlefield Drive, a traffic signal at Deloss Dodds Way, and may, at the discretion of UT Austin, include a pedestrian hybrid beacon, a pedestrian rapid flashing beacon, or alternative pedestrian beacon or alert (PHB) in between Deloss Dodds Way and Trinity Street. (the traffic signals but not any PHB are collectively referred to as the "Traffic Signals"). The North Segment of New Red River Street is located wholly within the UT Austin campus.

-South Segme11t of New Red River Street" is the re-configuration of the traffic signal and the intersection at MLK Boulevard and existing Red River Street and the re-alignment and configuration of a segment of Red River Street south of MLK Boulevard as described and shown in Exhibit A to this Agreement.

-UT Austin shall be responsible for all costs and for the management of the design and, as applicable, permitting of the Project including (i) the development of the engineering design and plans and specifications for the New Road, Relocation of Existing Utilities (including remediation of asbestos-cement lines and replacement of concrete steel cylinder water lines), and the University Improvements, (ii) the surveying required for the Project, and (iii) any required environmental assessments and clearances and other approvals associated with the Project.

-The Project plans and specifications for the New Road shall comply with COA Complete Streets policy for the area between the curbs to the extent reasonably feasible and not in conflict with the other terms and provisions of this Agreement.

-UT Austin estimates that the Red River Street Closure will occur on or about December 2, 2019. UT Austin will provide the City with at least 30 days advance written notice of the date UT Austin requires the Red River Street Closure and the City will implement the Red River Street Closure as of that date.

-UT Austin shall notify the City of Substantial Completion, which shall occur no later than thirty (30) months following UT Austin's submission to the City of its Affidavit of Commencement, subject to Force Majeure Delays.

document-AF795666-FB92-4620-7372117-C269

Wait a minute.  Was this really a problem?  How about the cluster fuck that the medical school made at Enfield where there's a fucking 90 degree right turn and an immediate left turn?  THAT is a shit show.  

Edit:  it appears this is addressed also, just not on the map.  yes yes?

Edited by Biff Tannen

5 hours ago, Pasken said:

What neighborhoods don't have sound walls?

All of 'em south of the river. Looks like they're putting one up on the northbound side of the South extension, where there aren't any houses. I remember seeing an image of a plan that showed that one but none anywhere else. Can't find it now.

3 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Wait a minute.  Was this really a problem?  How about the cluster fuck that the medical school made at Enfield where there's a fucking 90 degree right turn and an immediate left turn?  THAT is a shit show.  

Edit:  it appears this is addressed also, just not on the map.  yes yes?

It's a problem for the new basketball arena. Yes, Red River will be straightened out so it crosses over 15th directly. 

54 minutes ago, wood said:

All of 'em south of the river. Looks like they're putting one up on the northbound side of the South extension, where there aren't any houses. I remember seeing an image of a plan that showed that one but none anywhere else. Can't find it now.

They are putting walls up in front of all the hoods near the construction project except for apartments on the west side north of Slaughter. 

12 minutes ago, Pasken said:

It's a problem for the new basketball arena. Yes, Red River will be straightened out so it crosses over 15th directly. 

They are putting walls up in front of all the hoods near the construction project except for apartments on the west side north of Slaughter. 

Wow. So we get nothing while areas with no development get walls? I wonder what is the justification for that. I live right on the other side of those apts about 200 yards from the highway, so we get a shit ton of noise from Mopac, pretty much 24 hours a day (already, & it's just getting worse with 45SW and the extension). Any housing south of Lacrosse is about 2x as far from Mopac than we are & has a lot less traffic passing by than we do

Edited by wood

5 minutes ago, wood said:

Wow. So we get nothing while areas with no development get walls? I wonder what is the justification for that. I live right on the other side of those apts about 200 yards from the highway, so we get a shit ton of noise from Mopac, pretty much 24 hours a day. We're closer to Mopac than any housing south of Lacrosse.

I'm guessing people in apartments bitch less.

I think this is the schematic you were looking for.

121717-schematic.jpg

Edited by Pasken

5 minutes ago, Pasken said:

I'm guessing people in apartments bitch less.

I think this is the schematic you were looking for.

2c-Mo-Pac-South-Bridge.jpg

So who do we bitch to? But the thing is, it's not just the apartments getting the noise. We get it all the time ... even wakes us up at night. 

Re: the schematic. It was one specific to the south mopac extension & showed the walls that were planned.

Edited by wood

Just now, wood said:

So who do we bitch to?

Re: the schematic. It was one specific to the south mopac extension & showed the walls that were planned.

Sorry. You replied before I fixed the link. I uploaded the wrong graphic. Check the post now.  You can bitch to TxDot 5 years ago.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pasken said:

Sorry. You replied before I fixed the link. I uploaded the wrong graphic. Check the post now.  You can bitch to TxDot 5 years ago.

Welp. That's fucked up, but typical. Like I added above, any housing south of Lacrosse is about 2x as far from Mopac than we are & has a lot less traffic passing by than we do. Thanks for the graphic. I mean, the fucking Wildflower Center is getting a fucking sound wall??? That's the one they're working on now. The first one they're putting up ... fml. And Alamo & that commercial complex with ZERO housing gets a wall? And Circle C Park? Unreal.

Edited by wood

1 minute ago, wood said:

Welp. That's fucked up, but typical. Like I added above, any housing south of Lacrosse is about 2x as far from Mopac than we are & has a lot less traffic passing by than we do. Thanks for the graphic.

The closeness could make things more difficult depending how water drains from the road or how water drains from the apartments. My guess is putting up a wall would have required underground drainage work would would cost more money. That's just a guess along with guessing that TxDot doesn't take apartments as seriously as SF homes.