2018-19 NCAA Basketball Season

Goo Punch

3 minutes ago, CenTXpony said:

That's fucking hilarious. 

But - I wouldn't pull the trigger on Jank just yet. His roster really isn't that good - that dumbass commenting on the reddit post probably doesn't realize we are coming off of a 3 year stretch of minus 3 scholarships per year. 

Playing Houston I saw two pretty well-coached teams, one of which had better players on the floor. So far in conference we've won the games we should have and lost the games we were expected to. Oh well. That's probably what this team is going to do. Nic Moore and Semi Ojeleye aren't walking through that door. 

Jank will get it together.  He's a decent coach who needed one more stop under a great coach to take it to the next level.  He was a great recruiter to KU when he was here.  I'm thinking he gets SMU back to the tourney, maybe 2 years in a row, and he bounces to the next P5 offer he gets so he doesn't get stale in Dallas.

I want to talk about the PAC12.  They can't be more than a 2 bid league and even that might be a stretch.  I can see them staying at 2 because the committee might not want to effectively relegate them to a "'less than G5" league.  Their KenPom ranks look like this (rank/AdjO/AdjD/SOS)

Washington - 46 - 83 - 27 - 101

Arizona - 51 - 106 - 20 - 57

Oregon - 52 - 84 - 36 - 69

ASU - 60 - 72 - 68 - 64

I refuse to look any deeper than that, except I'll toss in the dumpster fire UCLA (87 - 142 - 67 - 43).  If you have 36 at large bids in a field of 68 then I'm not sure they are a two bid league without some major chalk in conference tourneys like the AAC, Big East, MVC, CUSA, and A10.  Fuck the PAC for even participating in non-Olympic sports (and basketball).

Edited by Jhawk

That's fucking hilarious. 
But - I wouldn't pull the trigger on Jank just yet. His roster really isn't that good - that dumbass commenting on the reddit post probably doesn't realize we are coming off of a 3 year stretch of minus 3 scholarships per year. 
Playing Houston I saw two pretty well-coached teams, one of which had better players on the floor. So far in conference we've won the games we should have and lost the games we were expected to. Oh well. That's probably what this team is going to do. Nic Moore and Semi Ojeleye aren't walking through that door. 

I have to disagree with you. Jank has to go sooner rather than later. I’m happy to explain why.

The talk for Grant Williams to be considered for NPOY needs to start heating up. 43 points, 8 rebounds, 4 blocks, 10-15 from the field, 23-23 from the FT line in an OT win. One of his blocks saved the game at the end of the 2H, and another clinched it at the end of OT. Unreal performance tonight.  

Edited by Goo Punch

On 1/18/2019 at 3:17 AM, Goo Punch said:

Well, speaking of people who are actually still playing despite being draft prospects, I've been a bit spacey lately, but have we talked about Ja Morant? He's probably the second most exciting player in CBB, and I wouldn't argue if you said you'd rather watch him than Zion. That kid is amazing. 

well now that ESPN has picked up on him i'm sure he'll be all we talk about (besides Zion of course) going forward. We've got a Ja and Zion running CBB; are there any Muhammed's or Yahweh's our there that we can recruit?

Edited by Goo Punch

Don’t know why but get a kick how the Pac handles their bb scheduling by lumping schools together for road trips.  Like example, both Zona schools are in LA this weekend and both will play UCLA/USC this weekend.  Both UW/WSU are in Oregon this weekend for UO/OSU.  

7 hours ago, Underdog said:

Don’t know why but get a kick how the Pac handles their bb scheduling by lumping schools together for road trips.  Like example, both Zona schools are in LA this weekend and both will play UCLA/USC this weekend.  Both UW/WSU are in Oregon this weekend for UO/OSU.  

Probably messin' with Bill Walton.

Besides the Horns, the team I watch the most is UH. They’re not shooting well today against Tulsa, but they still play so hard and smart on defense and for an undersized team they rebound great. They’re not hitting their outside shots but still working to good shots. The comparison to what we see from a Shaka coached Horns team is stark.

28 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Besides the Horns, the team I watch the most is UH. They’re not shooting well today against Tulsa, but they still play so hard and smart on defense and for an undersized team they rebound great. They’re not hitting their outside shots but still working to good shots. The comparison to what we see from a Shaka coached Horns team is stark.

No way around it. Sampson is a good coach. 

• Like 1

x/post

NCAA Teams grouped by rankings in both AdjO and AdjD:

Top 10 in both:

Duke, UVA, Sparty 

Top 20 in both:

UNC, UK

Top 30 in both:

Tennessee, Iowa State, Louisville, Nevada, Buffalo, Michigan, KU

Top 40 in both:

Nebraska, Marquette, Cincy, Wisconsin, FSU, TCU, Texas

Not listed: Gonzaga, Purdue, Va Tech, Villanova, Auburn, LSU, Maryland, Mississippi State, NC State 

That's right folks. Texas is now in the top 40 in both offensive and defensive efficiency. We just don't know how to win games, and that's a shame. 

The Kenpom top 10 in AdjO/AdjD:

1.UVA- 4/2

2.Duke- 3/6

3.Sparty- 6/7

4.Zags- 1/47

5.Michigan- 29/1

6.Tennesee- 2/28

7.UNC- 12/13

8.Kentucky- 16/9

9.Purdue- 5/50

10.Wisoncsin- 31/5

On 1/25/2019 at 5:42 AM, Underdog said:

the Big Ten used to do that in the 80s, they called it 'traveling partners'

32 minutes ago, Underdog said:

It’s a shame, solid team and it looks like they did a great job on The Hof. 

Early start time that’s why it looked empty at first. Fertitta Center was full tonight. Love the atmosphere they created and hope UT takes notes for our new building. 30 consecutive home wins. I have always respected Temple. Fran Dunphy is a hell of a coach too.

Edited by Iconoclast Texan

Nice catch, didn’t notice it flipping through channels earlier and seeing the score, thought I’d check up on it later...  guess not.  

Yeah, DookieV is gonna DookieV but Z is a helluva player.  A lot of fun to watch, will be even more fun to see him mope and pout on the bench when Duke fails to reach the FF(fingers crossed). 

14 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Nice catch, didn’t notice it flipping through channels earlier and seeing the score, thought I’d check up on it later...  guess not.  

Yeah, DookieV is gonna DookieV but Z is a helluva player.  A lot of fun to watch, will be even more fun to see him mope and pout on the bench when Duke fails to reach the FF(fingers crossed). 

Oh yeah, I get it. But they spent 10 minutes talking about him and the NBA, not about the game they were paid to broadcast.