2018-19 NCAA Basketball Season

Goo Punch

3 hours ago, Jhawk said:

Had a thought on paying players... 

Add up the value of everything a scholarship athlete receives (room, tuition, meals, tutors, gear, books, etc..).  Let's say it is $200k (I know this depends on the school but do an average or something) and then make a rule that every team has 1-2 spots on the roster to pay a player that amount.  The player isn't required to go to class or do anything but play.  If they do go to class they have to pay their own tuition and books and everything.  They have to pay for their meals and rent, just like an NBA player would (outside of team meals).  

For the other players on the team, you are locked into 3 years of school.  Then, if a paid player doesn't end up being a 1 and done the school can nudge them out the door OR put them on scholarship.  If they go on scholarship then they are effectively a freshman (because they didn't take classes), and they have to be at the school for at least 2 years (3-1=2).  This type of player doesn't not have an extended eligibility period so if they are a bust and stay in school four years after not going to class for one then to complete their degree they have to pay for their last year and are not on the team anymore.  This gets the top players paid, gets the guys who aren't able to go NBA to stay and be a part of the team for years, and levels the playing field by not allowing 5 top 10 players to go to one school unless they are going to stay in school.

Obviously there are flaws in this, but it could be an interesting starting point for some real ideas. 

No, there's literally nothing interesting about this, from your supposition that the arbitrary number that a school chooses for tuition constitutes "value," to the "feature" that some players are forced to stay in school. 

may-god-have-mercy-on-your-soul-gif-3.gi

I bet it would be the peachiest, happiest locker room ever between the 1-2 players getting $200k cash to play, not go to class and fuck bitches and the players getting nothing and having to go to class, do study hall, take exams, waking up for early for workouts and then going straight to Biology 101, etc.  

Do the 2 paid players get to sleep in and lounge by the pool during road trips while everyone else is in study hall or taking midterms in the hotel ballroom? 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Tim Miles, shitty Nebraska coach:

Miles, under contract through March 2021, would be paid a $2.52 million buyout if he is fired next month.

If they fire me, they’re still going to pay me. I’m still a millionaire, so I’ve got that going for me,” Miles told Goodman.

Wow. If I was on that team I don't think I would play another game for him, or Nebraska.

Tim Miles, shitty Nebraska coach:

Miles, under contract through March 2021, would be paid a $2.52 million buyout if he is fired next month.

“If they fire me, they’re still going to pay me. I’m still a millionaire, so I’ve got that going for me,” Miles told Goodman.

Really weird quote. Tim Miles used to coach NDSU and has always been one of the good guys from what I gather. It's been 10 years since hes been here so maybe hes gotten a little ego? Definitely shouldve kept his mouth shut on that one vs burning the bridge with a p5 school paying you big money to coach a stupid sport for a team that hasnt done anything.

20 minutes ago, Underdog said:

LMAO @ Gracie and JWill more valuable than Worthy.  

exactly my reaction.  Worthy is on the squad at $4 or so...  For a $1, he's a steal.

Edited by slorch

On 2/21/2019 at 2:46 PM, 'stache said:

"Spoiled, ungrateful, not a team player."

Seriously, he would have been a millionaire last year except for an unjust rule and at any moment that opportunity could be lost so others can get rich. The one and done rule should be illegal, its collusion by the league to shift the cost of risk from billionaire owners to players, most of whom are not wealthy and mostly the opposite.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2019/02/21/nba-draft-eligible-age-limit-proposal-18-years-old/2942228002/

The NBA has submitted to the National Basketball Players Association a formal proposal that will lower the draft-eligible age to 18 from 19, a person with knowledge of the proposal told USA TODAY Sports.

Edited by Brian Fantana

5 hours ago, Underdog said:

LMAO @ Gracie and JWill more valuable than Worthy.  

Those values are horrible.  That said, JWill was at least an equivalent college player than Worthy if not better.  People forget how good he was before he crashed that motorcycle.  But not having Antawn Jamison on that list, then having Vince Carter, is laughable.  

I think it's pretty easy, though, if we want to go by college quality and position -- Laettner ($5), Jordan ($5), Jwill ($3), Grant ($2), Jamison ($0).  Or put in an Ed Cota ($0) type PG to run show for JWill and grab a bench of Jr Reid ($0), Worthy ($1), and Kyrie ($2).    

Pros (and potential?) - I'll take Kyrie ($3), Jordan ($5), Worthy ($1), Zion ($5) and Rasheed ($1).

Is there anything in the NCAA rules that would prevent Zion from filing a huge lawsuit against Nike, and reaching an immediate out-of-court settlement where Nike pays him a couple of million dollars (with an unwritten handshake "understanding" that Zion will wear Nike in the NBA)?

Edited by Beau Vine

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Is there anything in the NCAA rules that would prevent Zion from filing a huge lawsuit against Nike, and reaching an immediate out-of-court settlement where Nike pays him a couple of million dollars (with an unwritten handshake "understanding" that Zion will wear Nike in the NBA)?

I don't know why he would do that or how he would win such a suit. Even if he doesn't play another minute all year he's still going #1.

12 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

I don't know why he would do that or how he would win such a suit. Even if he doesn't play another minute all year he's still going #1.

Nike: Zion, file a lawsuit and we will settle for what amounts to a down payment/earnest money on a shoe contract, and that commitment will be included in the confidential settlement agreement that the NCAA doesn’t get to see.  

Zion:  ok.  

It’s an awesome idea.  Too bad it won’t happen. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Kevin O’Shea said:

Shitty way to end the Tennessee LSU game. A foul with 0.6 seconds left, but guess it was the right call

Yup.... it was a foul

Barnes not calling timeout 8 secs left, Vols with the ball and game tied was dumb...

Edited by LTtxfan

6 minutes ago, Underdog said:

No problem with not calling a TO, just a piss poor shot from an upper classman followed by a horrible foul from another UC. 

Disagree in this game.  Tennessee did not play last 2 minutes of regulation well, and really lost their focus in the OT.  Yes, sometimes no timeout makes sense, but not in today's game as poorly as Vols played at crunch time.

Edited by LTtxfan

I’ll take your word for it s I wasnt paying too much attention with the UK game going on at the time.  I guess he could have figured he has an experienced team and should know how to handle such situations.  Missed opportunity there with Waters out, Williams needs to focus back on playing and not get caught up on the Officiating. 

1 hour ago, PittsburghTiger said:

No Bob McAdoo on that list for UNC.

Only four UNC players during their NBA careers have scored more NBA points than has McAdoo. I guess because he only played one year at UNC, from what I could gather, just the 1971-72 season when he averaged 19.5 ppg. Before that he was at JC.

Also no Phil Ford, Al Wood, Mark Alarie, Johnny Dawkins., Billy Cunningham, Brad Daugherty, Walter Davis, Gene Banks

Written by a millenial's child, obviously.

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Like 1

Man I just look at the Pac-12 again, what a disaster. It's so bad that the 1st place team (Washington) is barely ranked (and currently 36th in kenpom) even though they have a great record for this time of year (22-5, same as Tech). Only three teams are currently in the top 75 in the NET rankings and two of those are 74th and 75th. Cal is on a sixteen game losing streak, holy shit. What the hell happened to that conference?

Edited by Brian Fantana

Man I just look at the Pac-12 again, what a disaster. It's so bad that the 1st place team (Washington) is barely ranked (and currently 36th in kenpom) even though they have a great record for this time of year (22-5, same as Tech). Only three teams are currently in the top 75 in the NET rankings and two of those are 74th and 75th. Cal is on a sixteen game losing streak, holy shit. What the hell happened to that conference?
I dare you to argue bill Walton with your facts. Youd lose. They're the conference of champions and we're just lucky to be in the same country
  • Haha 1

The Pac will he back. UCLA has 3 5 stars and 4 4 stars. It was senior night but not even a bench player is a senior. 1 junior. A good coach and we'll be back. And so will Zona. Just a confluence if circumstances led to the shitfest. We just better not have 2-3 idiots who think they are NBA worthy even though they aren't even close. Seems to happen every year.

And fuck SC, birches. Fun ducking game.

On 2/21/2019 at 12:58 PM, Jhawk said:

Had a thought on paying players... 

Add up the value of everything a scholarship athlete receives (room, tuition, meals, tutors, gear, books, etc..).  Let's say it is $200k (I know this depends on the school but do an average or something) and then make a rule that every team has 1-2 spots on the roster to pay a player that amount.  The player isn't required to go to class or do anything but play.  If they do go to class they have to pay their own tuition and books and everything.  They have to pay for their meals and rent, just like an NBA player would (outside of team meals).  

For the other players on the team, you are locked into 3 years of school.  Then, if a paid player doesn't end up being a 1 and done the school can nudge them out the door OR put them on scholarship.  If they go on scholarship then they are effectively a freshman (because they didn't take classes), and they have to be at the school for at least 2 years (3-1=2).  This type of player doesn't not have an extended eligibility period so if they are a bust and stay in school four years after not going to class for one then to complete their degree they have to pay for their last year and are not on the team anymore.  This gets the top players paid, gets the guys who aren't able to go NBA to stay and be a part of the team for years, and levels the playing field by not allowing 5 top 10 players to go to one school unless they are going to stay in school.

Obviously there are flaws in this, but it could be an interesting starting point for some real ideas. 

Why are people so obsessed with extracting some sort of vengeance or punishment from players who deign to ask for what they're worth? Ironically many of the same people who come up with such preposterously, contrived shit as the crap quoted above are the same ones who trumpet the glories of the free market in every other aspect of life.

Here's an idea, why don't we just let the market decide what these players are worth? And if that's too much for schools to bare, then fucking let them trade on their names and likeness and be done with it. Schools wouldn't even have to pay them outright. This shit isn't really that hard. The Olympics figured it out over 2 decades ago. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Why are people so obsessed with extracting some sort of vengeance or punishment from players who deign to ask for what they're worth? Ironically many of the same people who come up with such preposterously, contrived shit as the crap quoted above are the same ones who trumpet the glories of the free market in every other aspect of life.

Here's an idea, why don't we just let the market decide what these players are worth? And if that's too much for schools to bare, then fucking let them trade on their names and likeness and be done with it. Schools wouldn't even have to pay them outright. This shit isn't really that hard. The Olympics figured it out over 2 decades ago. 

That's the thing, we know for a fact that there are about 10-15 schools that have an AD to turn a profit in any given year.  Further, the US government has legislated that if you give a male player something then you have to provide the same to a female athlete.  So unless the US government is going to step in and cancel their "anti-discrimination" laws then you have to get creative and have strict rules.  There are 3 governing bodies AND actual budgets in place that have to be worked around.

The only real solution is to let players market themselves to non-school markets and if they can get a buck then they get one.  If they can't then they don't.  But you can't pay Zion if you aren't willing to pay the last scholarship athlete on the end of the women's tennis bench.  That's how the rules are currently set.