2018-19 NCAA Basketball Season

Goo Punch

1 hour ago, Jhawk said:

That's the thing, we know for a fact that there are about 10-15 schools that have an AD to turn a profit in any given year.

1,  No, we don't know that, because it's absolute fiction.  The only people who "know" that are people who have no understanding of accounting.

2.  This is supposed to be a non-profit enterprise, according to the NCAA.  Wouldn't it be a bigger problem if lots of schools were showing profits?

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Jhawk said:

That's the thing, we know for a fact that there are about 10-15 schools that have an AD to turn a profit in any given year.  Further, the US government has legislated that if you give a male player something then you have to provide the same to a female athlete.  So unless the US government is going to step in and cancel their "anti-discrimination" laws then you have to get creative and have strict rules.  There are 3 governing bodies AND actual budgets in place that have to be worked around.

The only real solution is to let players market themselves to non-school markets and if they can get a buck then they get one.  If they can't then they don't.  But you can't pay Zion if you aren't willing to pay the last scholarship athlete on the end of the women's tennis bench.  That's how the rules are currently set.

This is such bullshit.  Somehow the bolded part doesn't apply to locker rooms, chartered flights,  bowl gifts, hotel stays, or any number amenities that only certain athletes get.  Like anything else Title IX is about interpretation.  And beyond that how exactly would giving them name and likeness rights affect Title IX. There would be plenty of women athletes who'd be able to take advantage of it.  

18 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

This is such bullshit.  Somehow the bolded part doesn't apply to locker rooms, chartered flights,  bowl gifts, hotel stays, or any number amenities that only certain athletes get.  Like anything else Title IX is about interpretation.  And beyond that how exactly would giving them name and likeness rights affect Title IX. There would be plenty of women athletes who'd be able to take advantage of it.  

I 100% agree. But is your university going to be the first to be sued into oblivion for testing the limits? When the rules are a little vague you don’t risk a $10M lawsuit to find out the limits. 

Here's a fun one: https://www.abqjournal.com/1287130/unms-position-football-is-making-money-after-all.html

UNM has been claiming for years that their football program doesn't make money.  Then they try to cut 4 lesser sports and a state legislator fires back that they should cut football since it loses money.  UNM doesn't want to do that so, wallah!  Brand new income statement for football that shows it makes money!  Crazy, huh?

7 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

I 100% agree. But is your university going to be the first to be sued into oblivion for testing the limits? When the rules are a little vague you don’t risk a $10M lawsuit to find out the limits. 

Got dam, this is not new stuff.  Title IX is nothing but a convenient bogeyman for ADs to bring up to shut down the conversation of compensating athletes.  Title IX is about participation, not compensation.  There is not a single university in the country that spends an equal amount on men's and women's sports in the aggregate.  

• Like 1

What I'm hearing is this all got started by some USU student throwing a punch at a Nevada player while storming the court (I'm assuming Caroline). Also, the Nevada coaches/players were forced into the USU tunnel because there were fans blocking theirs. Maybe now the NCAA will fucking crack down on dumbass court storming.

Here's an alternate angle, leave it to the dumbass old rent-a-cop to escalate the situation by shoving a Nevada coach:

Edited by Brian Fantana

Side note: I don't believe this is sour grapes from Caroline either, I recall him being extremely gracious in the press conference and bro hugging all of our players down the line when we beat them last year. I would give him the benefit of the doubt in this situation, something had to have happened to set him off.

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

apparently a Utah State coach went after Jordan Caroline. probably not the best guy to start shit with. this could have been bad:

If the two had actually had fisticuffs, wouldn't the coach be at fault for inciting a fight with a person (potentially) under the age of 21..?

18 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

What I'm hearing is this all got started by some USU student throwing a punch at a Nevada player while storming the court (I'm assuming Caroline). Also, the Nevada coaches/players were forced into the USU tunnel because there were fans blocking theirs. Maybe now the NCAA will fucking crack down on dumbass court storming.

Here's an alternate angle, leave it to the dumbass old rent-a-cop to escalate the situation by shoving a Nevada coach:

lmao, after the idiot cop came bathing through there someone said, "we got a super trooper". 

31 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Don't think so. Other video shows Nevada getting off the court without incident. Rope was put up to keep the fans away from the handshake line but then Nevada was sent up the usu tunnel instead of their own. Something happened in the tunnel. Everyone was fine on the court. 

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

ESPNU...... Tevin Mack just hit a big 3pt shot to tie the game

Bama 60........ Auburn 60 

1:20 left

Poor defense and offensive execution by Bama in last minute....... Game was at Bama.

Final.      Auburn 66......... Bama 60

39 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Marquette has lost 3 straight, losing the SH tonight. 

Big win for Seton Hall. They have two marquee OOC wins in Kentucky and @Maryland. If they beat Nova on Saturday, they're in the tournament for sure.

Edited by Machinator

8 hours ago, Machinator said:

NC State loses to Georgia Tech. Their awful nonconference SOS is going to put them on the wrong side of the cutline unless they do something significant in the ACC tourney. 

North Carolina State should be very grateful that the NCAA decided to adopt a new metric this season as its primary tool for gauging the strength of teams.

That switch has significantly boosted the Wolfpack’s chances of snagging one of the NCAA tournament’s final at-large bids on Selection Sunday.

NC State enters Wednesday at No. 31 in the new NET rankings, a figure that’s in line with how other formulas like the KenPom (No. 33) and Sagarin Ratings (No. 25) assess the Wolfpack and suggests they’re NCAA tournament-caliber. By contrast, the less sophisticated RPI has NC State at 92nd, more than 10 spots worse than any team to make the NCAA tournament during the metric’s 38-year lifespan.

18 minutes ago, Underdog said:

NCSU shouldn’t make it based on that 29pt effort alone.  May be in the minority here, but I’d like to see more Belmonts, Campbells, Morehead States, etc...  than P5 7th or 8th best teams in the NCAAT.  

I would too.

But then the committee would need to deemphasize strength of schedule.

26 minutes ago, Underdog said:

NCSU shouldn’t make it based on that 29pt effort alone.  May be in the minority here, but I’d like to see more Belmonts, Campbells, Morehead States, etc...  than P5 7th or 8th best teams in the NCAAT.  

Their resume is trash. 2-8 against Q1 teams. #352 non-conference strength of schedule out of 353 teams. 

They shouldn't get in over small school teams because the only reason they are in the discussion is they stacked wins against shit teams in non-conference. 

55 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Here's NC State's non-conference wins. 

Mount Saint Mary's, Maryland East Shore, UNC Asheville, Maine,  Saint Peters, Mercer, Vanderbilt (9-21), Western Carolina, Penn State (13-17), USC Upstate, Loyola University Maryland. 

11/20 wins against complete trash. 

Yeah, they are out as of now. I'm not even sure beating BC to end the year, and Clemson in the conference tourney is enough to get them in. 

• Like 1