2018-19 NCAA Basketball Season

Goo Punch

whole lotta ugly february basketball, as is tradition. the type of games we see this time of year were always what the pro-nba crowd would point to whenever the "nba vs ncaa" debate came around. i've always been a college guy, and i've always cited how disinterested the nba players seem so often between november and april, but all of that has changed for me. i still love ncaa basketball and always will, but college hoops is down as a whole and the nba is entering a new golden age. even the really good college teams (sparty, tennessee, gonzaga, purdue, michigan, ku, etc) have looked really ugly on occasion lately. It's a rough time of year for college hoops, and all of the tamont player transferring and not-yet-ready early entry guys haven't helped matters at all. 

Edited by Goo Punch

Looking back over the last few drafts at early entry guys who either struggled to begin their careers or who flopped:

2015:

D.Russell, 2nd pick, freshman

J.Okafor, 3rd pick, freshman

W Caulie-Stein, 6th pick, junior

S Johnson, 8th pick, freshman

J Winslow, 10th pick, freshman

M Turner, 11th pick, freshman

T Lyles, 12th pick, freshman

you know what, i'm gonna stop right there, because we all get the picture- the last several NBA drafts have been chock full of guys would have been 3-4 year players in the 90's, no questions asked. the lower draft picks that i didn't even bother to get to are even worse. plus, a bunch of these guys would have never even shown up to college in the first place had they not been forced to do so. the college game is going to continue to suffer as long as every half decent player has one foot out the door from his first day on campus, and/or will transfer immediately if he isn't happy. let the guys who wanna go pro out of HS do so, and force the guys who do commit to stay 2-3 years. that's at least a start. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Looking back over the last few drafts at early entry guys who either struggled to begin their careers or who flopped:

2015:

you know what, i'm gonna stop right there, because we all get the picture- the last several NBA drafts have been chock full of guys would have been 3-4 year players in the 90's, no questions asked. the lower draft picks that i didn't even bother to get to are even worse. plus, a bunch of these guys would have never even shown up to college in the first place had they not been forced to do so. the college game is going to continue to suffer as long as every half decent player has one foot out the door from his first day on campus, and/or will transfer immediately if he isn't happy. let the guys who wanna go pro out of HS do so, and force the guys who do commit to stay 2-3 years. that's at least a start. 

Who's doing the forcing here?

58 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

2015:

Never gonna happen. The NBA is the only party that can enforce that rule, and why would they limit their talent pool by refusing to draft a guy that they think can contribute after 1 year in college.While I agree that forcing kids into college for a year is a stupid policy, I also think forcing kids to stay in school when they could potentially make  millions is equally stupid. 

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

Never gonna happen. The NBA is the only party that can enforce that rule, and why would they limit their talent pool by refusing to draft a guy that they think can contribute after 1 year in college.While I agree that forcing kids into college for a year is a stupid policy, I also think forcing kids to stay in school when they could potentially make  millions is equally stupid. 

What you're talking about would affect such a small minority of kids it would make very little difference. All the kids who want to go pro/join the NBDL/sign with a Euro team straight out of HS can do so, and the kids who commit to a college know that they'll be there for at least two years. It would be no different from football. Very few freshman football players are ready to be drafted, and likewise very few guys who planned on going to college for 2-3 years will have such a breakout freshman season that they suddenly become a draft prospect out of nowhere. We're talking about Jaxson Hayes and Zhaire smith here, not Anthony Davis. It's better for everyone involved if all parties know that the player is committed for at least two seasons.

And, it would definitely lead to more top 20-30 national guys deciding to commit to being a star at Duke or UK or KU or Texasfor two years, as opposed to being a fringe lottery/first rounder. I'm talking about a lot of the guys who right now are going one and done just because that's what every top 40 national kid thinks he's supposed to do. Some of those kids would still go pro (and most would struggle to make a team), but the ones who decided to go to college for two years could become legit NCAA stars, name brand players who leave something of a legacy behind. I think that would be awesome. 

Edited by Goo Punch

I dont necessarily disagree with anything you posted Derka, but I repeat, its never gonna happen. You're looking at it from a fans viewpoint because you want college basketball to be the best product it could possibly be. NBA owners and the NBA players association have different motivations, and those are the only two groups that have any say in the matter.

33 minutes ago, Underdog said:

As much as I enjoy CBB, season's too damn long.  IMO, it should start around Thanksgiving, think some of these players hit a wall this time of year.   Maybe 32-36 games a year max,NCAAT included. 

That's just basketball in general. The year where the NBA started on Christmas Day was perfect.

SYRACUSE, N.Y. -- Syracuse men’s basketball coach Jim Boeheim struck and killed a man walking outside his vehicle on Interstate 690 around midnight, a source has confirmed for Syracuse.com | The Post-Standard.

The man in his 30s had been in a car with four others near Thompson Road in Syracuse when their vehicle crashed for unknown reasons, said a source familiar with the investigation.

The man at some point got out of his vehicle, the source said.

That’s when Boeheim drove by and struck the pedestrian, the source said.

Boeheim is cooperating with the investigation, the source added.

Syracuse police Chief Kenton Buckner said a news release would be coming shortly.

On 2/16/2019 at 9:34 PM, Braff Zacklin said:

Yeah, I was hoping for a better game. They play again in about two weeks; be interesting to see how fake UT bounces back.

If the home team gets the same officiating as they did in Lexington then Tennessee will win by 10+. If not, should be a very close game. 

Had a thought on paying players... 

Add up the value of everything a scholarship athlete receives (room, tuition, meals, tutors, gear, books, etc..).  Let's say it is $200k (I know this depends on the school but do an average or something) and then make a rule that every team has 1-2 spots on the roster to pay a player that amount.  The player isn't required to go to class or do anything but play.  If they do go to class they have to pay their own tuition and books and everything.  They have to pay for their meals and rent, just like an NBA player would (outside of team meals).  

For the other players on the team, you are locked into 3 years of school.  Then, if a paid player doesn't end up being a 1 and done the school can nudge them out the door OR put them on scholarship.  If they go on scholarship then they are effectively a freshman (because they didn't take classes), and they have to be at the school for at least 2 years (3-1=2).  This type of player doesn't not have an extended eligibility period so if they are a bust and stay in school four years after not going to class for one then to complete their degree they have to pay for their last year and are not on the team anymore.  This gets the top players paid, gets the guys who aren't able to go NBA to stay and be a part of the team for years, and levels the playing field by not allowing 5 top 10 players to go to one school unless they are going to stay in school.

Obviously there are flaws in this, but it could be an interesting starting point for some real ideas. 

1 minute ago, Goo Punch said:

kinda strange to me that nobody seems to remember Doug Gottlieb doing the same thing, and it may even have been vs Texas. Of course he worse shoes that were two sizes too small, so that one wasn't as surprising. 

He also put his shorts on backwards against KU.

5 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I said that a couple months ago. Shut it down. The only ones benefitting now are Coach K making millions and Duke making lots of millions.

"Spoiled, ungrateful, not a team player."

Seriously, he would have been a millionaire last year except for an unjust rule and at any moment that opportunity could be lost so others can get rich. The one and done rule should be illegal, its collusion by the league to shift the cost of risk from billionaire owners to players, most of whom are not wealthy and mostly the opposite.

• Like 2

Hard not to like Williamson. This is what he had to say when asked earlier this month about sitting out the rest of the season:

“I can’t just stop playing, I’d be letting my teammates down. I’d be letting Coach K down. I’d be letting a lot of people down.

“If I was going to sit out, I wouldn’t have gone to college.”

Will be interesting to see if he still feels the same way.

The smart, conservative choice here would be to call it a college career, but you've gotta admire a kid who is willing to risk millions for love of the game.

• Like 1