2018-19 NCAA Basketball Season

Goo Punch

6 hours ago, UTDD said:

Zion has a better handle than I thought after watching him.  I think his immediate NBA skill that will translate well is rebounding -- he looks very quick off the ground and his vertical is obviously elite to say the least.  His athleticism and unusual height/weight combo doesn't really garner many good NBA comparisons, but maybe guys like Larry Johnson and Charles Barkley are somewhat in the neighborhood.  I think he's the best pure athlete I can recall since LeBron although I am sure I am forgetting somebody.  Lot of good NBA talent on Duke this year...as usual I suppose.   

I think his biggest problem is going to be maintaining weight.  Everything about him says "antione walker" but instead of gaining all of his weight at retirement he looks capable of gaining 40 pounds in the offseason.

It'll be interesting to see him at the next level when you can't just go to the rim with impunity.  He's got great potential but really is going to have to round out his game.  Could be a great 4 man if he can hit consistently from outside.

• 3 weeks later...

AP Preseason top 25 released.

1 Kansas
Kansas (37)
Record: 31-8
PV Rank
2 Kentucky
Kentucky (19)
SEC
Record: 26-11
3 Gonzaga
Gonzaga (1)
Record: 32-5
4 Duke
Duke (4)
ACC
Record: 29-8
5 Virginia
Virginia (2)
ACC
Record: 31-3
6 Tennessee
Tennessee (1)
SEC
Record: 26-9
7 Nevada
Record: 29-8
8 North Carolina
ACC
9 Villanova
Villanova (1)
Record: 36-4
10 Michigan State
Record: 30-5
11 Auburn
SEC
Record: 26-8
12 Kansas State
Record: 25-12
-
13 West Virginia
14 Oregon
Record: 23-13
-
15 Virginia Tech
ACC
Record: 21-12
-
16 Syracuse
ACC
Record: 23-14
-
17 Florida State
ACC
Record: 23-12
-
18 Mississippi State
SEC
Record: 25-12
-
19 Michigan
Record: 33-8
20 TCU
TCU
-
21 UCLA
-
22 Clemson
ACC
Record: 25-10
23 LSU
LSU
SEC
Record: 18-15
-
24 Purdue
Record: 30-7
25 Washington
Record: 21-13
-
Others receiving votes:Loyola of Chicago 162, Marquette 124, Indiana 98, Florida 71, Nebraska 35, Maryland 28, Wisconsin 24, Notre Dame 22, Cincinnati 21, UCF 15, Alabama 15, Arizona 14, Buffalo 14, Louisville 11, Miami 10, San Diego St. 9, Texas Tech 6, Southern Cal 6, Butler 6, Texas 5, St. John's 3, Arizona St 3, Providence 2, Xavier 2, Davidson 1, Missouri 1, Marshall 1, NC State 1.

I don't think there is a comp for Zion. He's like no one we've ever seen, really. Barkley is probably the best comp but Zion is bigger and has more bounce. 

As far as "pure athlete" he's definitely in the convo since LeBron. Some other freaks since then would be Westbrook (who I actually think is a better "pure" athlete than LeBron. For his size), Wiggins, Giannis, Lavine, maybe Aaron Gordon, Embiid (again, for his size). And then, there are plenty of absurd athletes sitting on the bench that you forget about. It is the NBA, after all. 

This dude should be playing in the NBA. It's a joke for him to be playing against 2 star 18 year olds. 

On 10/31/2018 at 11:51 AM, ztejas said:

I don't think there is a comp for Zion. He's like no one we've ever seen, really. Barkley is probably the best comp but Zion is bigger and has more bounce

As far as "pure athlete" he's definitely in the convo since LeBron. Some other freaks since then would be Westbrook (who I actually think is a better "pure" athlete than LeBron. For his size), Wiggins, Giannis, Lavine, maybe Aaron Gordon, Embiid (again, for his size). And then, there are plenty of absurd athletes sitting on the bench that you forget about. It is the NBA, after all. 

This dude should be playing in the NBA. It's a joke for him to be playing against 2 star 18 year olds. 

Zion has some tools to work with.  I'm still not sure about his shot but I also haven't seen him play since HS so he may have made some improvements there.  I think his drive will be what makes or breaks him.  If he wants to play like wiggins and be a great athlete that only tries when he see fits he'll make some money but will always be underwhelming.  If he has the motor of Ayton then watch out.  The guy can be really good.  If he gets his shot where it needs to be then he can be a really great player.  A lot of guys have shown the potential but then don't show the fire.  It's hard to be worth tens of millions of dollars and stay motivated like Lebron has.  That's why there aren't very many lebrons out there.

7 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

Zion has some tools to work with.  I'm still not sure about his shot but I also haven't seen him play since HS so he may have made some improvements there.  I think his drive will be what makes or breaks him.  If he wants to play like wiggins and be a great athlete that only tries when he see fits he'll make some money but will always be underwhelming.  If he has the motor of Ayton then watch out.  The guy can be really good.  If he gets his shot where it needs to be then he can be a really great player.  A lot of guys have shown the potential but then don't show the fire.  It's hard to be worth tens of millions of dollars and stay motivated like Lebron has.  That's why there aren't very many lebrons out there.

Good take. He looks great when he's overwhelming inferior athletes. It will be interesting to see how his game develops around the rim facing NBA shot-blockers. 

His most NBA ready skills are his footwork, finishing, and handles (and rebounding I guess, but that's either something you're good at or you aren't. Not usually something you "improve"). And - you take those three things and inject it with superhuman athleticism - generally it makes for a good NBA player. 

His shot is actually a good amount better than people think it is. He has good mechanics and isn't a great FT shooter but he will be more of a 70-80% a la LeBron FT shooter than a 50-60% guy I think. 

An issue I forsee is creating the space that he needs to operate against NBA defenders. There will be times where he doesn't get that space - and I think that's where the "motor" aspect comes in. i.e. can he affect the game in enough ways when he's struggling getting to the rim? Can he bring down some offensive boards and throw a few dimes and make a couple steals every game - because he will need to at the next level. 

Pitt had a secret scrimmage with Dayton the other day. It's been reported that Pitt won both sessions. Anything over the last two years, especially last season, under Kevin Stallings will be much appreciated. We lack a quality big guy inside. Last night Capel started four guards. They looked much more athletic than last season, two were freshmen. Non-conference games will be fun. Not sure what we can do in ACC games, but hopefully we can get a few wins. Last season, 0-19 against ACC teams was not fun. As an Auburn fan as well I will wait a while but that ranking seems awfully generous to start the season.

That Tweet below is of one of the freshmen guards.

Edited by PittsburghTiger

Just now, Get ln My Van said:

Zion is a freak. Those duke freshman will go 1, 2, 3 in the draft

Zion is 4th best player on Duke after Barrett, Reddish and Jones.  He is awesome and fun, but a lot of what he is able to do, and will be able to do, will be because of those guys.

(And yes, McConnell is in)