Courtesy Wave Violators

MIkeHoncho

41 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Haven’t seen one since I moved back a year ago.  Product of a bygone era. 

For some reason, within my subdivision there are lotsa ‘raise the fingers’ off the steering wheel’ waves.  I like it.

FTR, I scored a 99 on my military DL test.  1 point deducted for aforementioned steering wheel wave at a classmate going in opposite direction.   “You can take a boy outta the country, but…”

Edited by slorch

I am a fairly consistent waver.

My son and I were driving somewhere once when he was still fairly young and I waved to someone in passing. He asked who it was.  I told him that I did not know.  He then asked why I waved at them.  Just told him that I was being friendly and it was a country thing to do that did not require much effort.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Y'all talking wave when you pass someone going the other way, or the wave when you let someone in?

Wife and I talk about how no one waves anymore when you let them in. It's an epidemic. 

Today, however, I did have a nice experience. Someone was trying to switch lanes behind me at a light and didn't have enough room to get their tail out of the other lane. I didn't see what was happening behind me. He gave me a beep, I looked in my rearview and saw what was going on... and gasp... he waved. Pulled up as much as a could to let him into the lane and waved back to him. Maybe there is hope in this country.

3 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Y'all talking wave when you pass someone going the other way, or the wave when you let someone in?

Sorry I wasn't clear - I'm referring to the wave when you let someone over.   If I slow down to let you in, I think it's fair to expect you to gimme a friendly wave.

• Hook 'Em 4

Try driving from Lubbock to Austin in a truck sometimes.  It's exhausting.

Every. Single. Oncoming. Carbutespeciallytrucks. You gotta make an effort.  

More work than looking out for the cops.

I dig it, but damn you gotta be locked in when you see an oncoming vehicle.

• Haha 2

I’m good about waving. I used to live on a street that ended in a T-intersection with a traffic light just a little to the right. When I approached the intersection and that light was red, and I wanted to turn left, and someone from my left stopped to give me an opening, I’d wave twice. Once when I pulled out, and then when I saw no traffic was coming from my right, I’d wave again and mouth “Thank you!”

That said, I also won’t hesitate to lay on my horn and give you the finger if you’re being an asshole and I don’t care about your age, sex, race, color, or creed.

I never found the right place to share this pic. This seems as good a place as any. That traffic light to my right was next to a drive that went by a shopping mall. I got slowed up once by some driver who was barely going 5 mph. I snapped a pic when they stopped at the light. They were turning left. They continued to move at a snail’s pace and as soon as I could I blew by them (and the other 2 vehicles) on their left and gave them a good honk. I got to my left turn before they did.

E65C2313-1787-4386-869E-FFB8B86B39E1.thumb.jpeg.8eb21b112078c16e7134817d45eeef44.jpeg

3 hours ago, Bullneck said:

Try driving from Lubbock to Austin in a truck sometimes.  It's exhausting.

Every. Single. Oncoming. Carbutespeciallytrucks. You gotta make an effort.  

More work than looking out for the cops.

I dig it, but damn you gotta be locked in when you see an oncoming vehicle.

You need this:

2078823617_fingerwave.jpg.8a583d5e6bffd921fd798fc8029259c9.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, slorch said:

FTR, I scored a 99 on my military DL test.  1 point deducted for aforementioned steering wheel wave at a classmate going in opposite direction.   “You can take a boy outta the country, but…”

Hah. That's funny. That reminds me of a great story where I and no one else here gives a shit about what you scored on your military drivers license test. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I’m good about waving. I used to live on a street that ended in a T-intersection with a traffic light just a little to the right. When I approached the intersection and that light was red, and I wanted to turn left, and someone from my left stopped to give me an opening, I’d wave twice. Once when I pulled out, and then when I saw no traffic was coming from my right, I’d wave again and mouth “Thank you!”

That said, I also won’t hesitate to lay on my horn and give you the finger if you’re being an asshole and I don’t care about your age, sex, race, color, or creed.

I never found the right place to share this pic. This seems as good a place as any. That traffic light to my right was next to a drive that went by a shopping mall. I got slowed up once by some driver who was barely going 5 mph. I snapped a pic when they stopped at the light. They were turning left. They continued to move at a snail’s pace and as soon as I could I blew by them (and the other 2 vehicles) on their left and gave them a good honk. I got to my left turn before they did.

E65C2313-1787-4386-869E-FFB8B86B39E1.thumb.jpeg.8eb21b112078c16e7134817d45eeef44.jpeg

Fascinating story. And as usual not at all related to the subject of the original post.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Fascinating story. And as usual not at all related to the subject of the original post.

Actually it is and it’s not as if anyone on surly rigidly sticks to any topic so fuck off with that bullshit. ‘Ooooh, WhatTheBuck is messing up the waving thread.’ Don’t get the vapors.

7 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Actually it is and it’s not as if anyone on surly rigidly sticks to any topic so fuck off with that bullshit. ‘Ooooh, WhatTheBuck is messing up the waving thread.’ Don’t get the vapors.

Hopefully your Phish story was much better. Anyway just in case you still don’t understand it’s a wave you do on 2 lane roads as you pass someone going in the opposite direction. Hope that helps ✌️

19 hours ago, justhookit said:

18 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

18 hours ago, justhookit said:

Hopefully your Phish story was much better. Anyway just in case you still don’t understand it’s a wave you do on 2 lane roads as you pass someone going in the opposite direction. Hope that helps ✌️

18 hours ago, justhookit said:

Well shit on reread of the thread you were correct. Mea culpa. Your story still sucked. I’m also assuming MikeHoncho is a sock of yours that allowed you to work the pic into a thread.

I think I can speak for everyone here that we're so happy you worked this out.

Also, I couldn't find the Phish story last night.  Was somewhat interested after reading that Dead post.

Edited by dcbc

On 6/30/2022 at 6:21 PM, Paco said:

Driving in Lee county with my grandfather, meet a truck coming the other way on whatever bumpy ass county road. Grandpa waves, guy waves back. "Everybody knows me around here."
Guy doesn't wave back. "He must be new."
Every single time. God I miss that man.

He may have been in one of my classes at the old Giddings High School.