Austin FC

Bottlecap

Wolff gotta go. This shyt boring. Back pass and crosses into box. 

we got ballers too. The team can be good 

We spend half our time passing it around the back third, a quarter of our time advancing, and the other quarter absolutely killing any momentum we might have in their third. Zero killer/closing ability, just like year one.

Someone needs to run the stats on backward vs forward passes for us. It has to be 80% backwards. Stuver probably leads the team in receiving passes.

It’s even worse than that. Pay attention every time they manage to pull off something close to a breakaway. 98% of the time, the player with the ball stops in his tracks and passes the ball back to someone so they “retain possession,” which conveniently also allows the other team’s defense to make it back to their end of the field and get in position to quash any scoring attempt.
It’s maddening. It’s a system that has as its core tenet “if you are about to score….don’t.” Which - I don’t know if y’all have realized this - is directly at odds with the entire purpose of the game.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Yeah… that was all pretty shitty.  I’ll be stunned if they fire Wolff after last year. He gets 2024 I bet a.  Maybe I’ll be able to upgrade season tickets if we tank this year.  

I have no idea how MLS contracts work but we need to cycle out Ring and Rigoni and get some real DPs.    Would love to see us throw money at a Tim Ream type.  No idea how to make that happen.  But get a veteran  defender on downside but still effective.  Like a better version of what we got from Besler in year one.  Gabrielson was kind of that. 

I’ve liked the Serb but sounds like we could lose him in a month?  

An old friend from Chicago whom I've known for 30+ years is moving here from Brazil.  His son is a big footballer.  He's in town this week and asked about going to the match and how the weather would be.  He wants to rent for a year before buying and has been sending me whatsapp messages about why Austin rentals cost so much and why the weather forecast looks so hot.  And I just can't help but laugh.  Yeah, you can't rent anything for less than $3K and our football matches this time of year are 105*.  So tomorrow should be really fun on non-alcoholic Heineken.  

5 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I'm still going to go.  I'll just be bitching about it being too late the whole time.

Me too.  That said, the later start time gives me more time to get home from work then head over early and grab a pregame burger and beer at Turnstile.  So, there's that.  I mean, my nad sweat will be the story of the day, but right below that....pregame burger and beer!

• Hook 'Em 1

I will look into that.  Thanks for the tip.  I was at a match earlier this season with Brisket (kind enough to give us two seats) and took my wife's cousin who is a Catholic Priest with a penchant for high-end booze.  So he insists on me having something so I got one of those N/A beers.  Actually, two.  And we're walking out after the match, and they're literally passing out like 18 packs or so of those mini cans of N/A Heineken.  And it was like a scene from Ted Lasso where he spits out the sparkling water or hot brown water tea.  He realizes they are N/A and just drops the pack on the sidewalk like, "why do y'all even fucking bother?"  Cracked me up.  

5 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

This is that summer win you guys aren't used to yet when other teams are missing players for international call ups. Enjoy

Bro shut the fuck uuuuup. 

We made the semis last year what have y'all ever done? 

This is a rebuild year. Respect the process hoe.

What a fucking song though. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

Been missing an energized Fagundez for a while, he made a huge difference. Driussi looked great. Rigoni is well past his expiration date and at this point is just getting paid to help Seba and Urruti prepare meats for the parrillada. If they keep playing this well I'm not even mad at it. (Seriously, he was offside, but the shot was piss-poor over the crossbar, then that 5-on-1 fast break and he can't even get a pass off because he has no f'n creativity to create space. All he had to do was kick the ball to a general area where 3 Austin FC players were waiting). I understand these guys are technically replaceable and/or improvable, but I always like the solid floor Finlay and Lima bring. They hustle more often than not and if you can live with Lima taking a bad shot once in a while (and he didn't last night), he brings value in getting the ball into dangerous spots in the box. 

Just watched the game.

Stuver didn’t even get a pass back until the 16th minute! Usually, he’d have a dozen touches by then.

We abandoned the take it wide and cross to no one game plan and kept everything central. What a difference. It’s like Wolff watched the last two USMNT and had an epiphany that you can actually play aggressively to score.

Zardes is still ass. I think he was trying to miss that score on purpose. The keeper was on the floor and he kicked it right at him instead of chipping over him. We just got lucky he flubbed it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1