Texxas Jam 1978 - Documentary

Rip76

This was my run:

1983 (Dallas – June 18, Houston – June 19)
Styx (Kilroy Was Here tour)
Sammy Hagar
Triumph
Ted Nugent
Uriah Heep
Notes: Hagar came on just before Styx at the end. Ted Nugent and Rik Emmett joined Sammy Hagar on stage in Dallas for their version of Led Zeppelin's "Rock 'n Roll." Tommy Shaw recalls these shows - particularly Dallas - as being some of the worst of his career. He claims to have feared for his life as his band was performing nothing but the rock opera "Kilroy Was Here" after some of the best hard rock bands of the day had performed, combined with other factors including triple-degree temperatures and rowdy concertgoers. (This was the tour that essentially ended Styx.)

1984 (June 8) Houston Astrodome / (June 10) Cotton Bowl in Dallas
Rush (Grace Under Pressure tour)
.38 Special (Tour de Force tour)
Ozzy Osbourne (Bark at the Moon tour)
Bryan Adams (Reckless Tour)
Gary Moore (Victims of the Future tour)
Notes: Bryan Adams' drummer for this show was Matt Frenette of Loverboy.

1985 (August 24) – Cotton Bowl in Dallas
Deep Purple (Perfect Strangers tour)
Scorpions
Night Ranger
Ted Nugent
Bon Jovi
Grim Reaper
Victory

1986 (July 19)
Van Halen
Dio
Loverboy
Krokus
Keel
Bachman–Turner Overdrive
Notes: Leslie West joined BTO on stage to perform Mountain's "Mississippi Queen."

1987 (June 20) – Cotton Bowl in Dallas (General Admission – $20.25)
Boston
Aerosmith
Whitesnake
Poison
Tesla
Farrenheit
Notes: The live concert footage for Poison's video "I Won't Forget You" was filmed at this performance. The crowd seemed wild about Poison while in actuality a drunk concertgoer was on top of a lighting tower (about 30' up) trampolining on the tarp roof in nothing but a pair of blue jeans. The crowd really enjoyed him and the Dallas PD's attempt to get him safely to the ground. Also, Poison was joined onstage by Paul Stanley for their performance of KISS' "Strutter". The temperature in Dallas that day reached 104 degrees Fahrenheit, prompting many in the very crowded ground area to pass out and be lifted overhead to the indoor areas of the stadium where there were water fountains. Water from hoses was also sprayed on the concertgoers in the field.

1988 (a.k.a. "The Monsters of Rock", July 3) – Cotton Bowl in Dallas (General Admission – $25)
Van Halen (OU812 Tour)
Scorpions (Savage Amusement tour)
Dokken
Metallica (Between Master of Puppets Tour and ...And Justice for All Tour).
Kingdom Come
Notes: Metallica played "Harvester of Sorrow" for the first time live. Van Halen's Sammy Hagar lost his voice after only a couple of songs. He then promised to play a free show in Dallas. A few years later, Van Halen followed through on that promise

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

Dennis DeYoung you say?

Right. I never could get into Styxx because of his voice. But when they started playing without him several years ago I realized what a hell of a great band they were. I could have been a big fan. I still have PTSD from early experiences hearing Mr. Roboto everywhere.

22 hours ago, DougO said:

Right. I never could get into Styxx because of his voice. But when they started playing without him several years ago I realized what a hell of a great band they were. I could have been a big fan. I still have PTSD from early experiences hearing Mr. Roboto everywhere.

JY and Tommy Shaw are hellaciously good guitarists.

Dennis DeYoung just needs to write for Broadway.  He is insufferable.

• Hook 'Em 2

Went down to Fair Park with some friends for the 78 Jam. Couple of us weren’t that interested in any of the bands so we took some Mr. Natural blotter acid.

Spent the afternoon wandering around the fair grounds and riding the Texas Skyway back and forth and back and forth. I think it was a year or so later The Skyway cars got jammed up and a couple fell on some of the game booths killing someone.

On 7/25/2022 at 4:15 PM, tbone_ said:

This was my run:

1983 (Dallas – June 18, Houston – June 19)
Styx (Kilroy Was Here tour)
Sammy Hagar
Triumph
Ted Nugent
Uriah Heep
Notes: Hagar came on just before Styx at the end. Ted Nugent and Rik Emmett joined Sammy Hagar on stage in Dallas for their version of Led Zeppelin's "Rock 'n Roll." Tommy Shaw recalls these shows - particularly Dallas - as being some of the worst of his career. He claims to have feared for his life as his band was performing nothing but the rock opera "Kilroy Was Here" after some of the best hard rock bands of the day had performed, combined with other factors including triple-degree temperatures and rowdy concertgoers. (This was the tour that essentially ended Styx.)

present.

1984 (June 😎 Houston Astrodome / (June 10) Cotton Bowl in Dallas
Rush (Grace Under Pressure tour)
.38 Special (Tour de Force tour)
Ozzy Osbourne (Bark at the Moon tour)
Bryan Adams (Reckless Tour)
Gary Moore (Victims of the Future tour)
Notes: Bryan Adams' drummer for this show was Matt Frenette of Loverboy.

Present 

1985 (August 24) – Cotton Bowl in Dallas
Deep Purple (Perfect Strangers tour)
Scorpions
Night Ranger
Ted Nugent
Bon Jovi
Grim Reaper
Victory

Present.

1986 (July 19)
Van Halen
Dio
Loverboy
Krokus
Keel
Bachman–Turner Overdrive
Notes: Leslie West joined BTO on stage to perform Mountain's "Mississippi Queen."

missed this one

1987 (June 20) – Cotton Bowl in Dallas (General Admission – $20.25)
Boston
Aerosmith
Whitesnake
Poison
Tesla
Farrenheit
Notes: The live concert footage for Poison's video "I Won't Forget You" was filmed at this performance. The crowd seemed wild about Poison while in actuality a drunk concertgoer was on top of a lighting tower (about 30' up) trampolining on the tarp roof in nothing but a pair of blue jeans. The crowd really enjoyed him and the Dallas PD's attempt to get him safely to the ground. Also, Poison was joined onstage by Paul Stanley for their performance of KISS' "Strutter". The temperature in Dallas that day reached 104 degrees Fahrenheit, prompting many in the very crowded ground area to pass out and be lifted overhead to the indoor areas of the stadium where there were water fountains. Water from hoses was also sprayed on the concertgoers in the field.

present.

1988 (a.k.a. "The Monsters of Rock", July 3) – Cotton Bowl in Dallas (General Admission – $25)
Van Halen (OU812 Tour)
Scorpions (Savage Amusement tour)
Dokken
Metallica (Between Master of Puppets Tour and ...And Justice for All Tour).
Kingdom Come
Notes: Metallica played "Harvester of Sorrow" for the first time live. Van Halen's Sammy Hagar lost his voice after only a couple of songs. He then promised to play a free show in Dallas. A few years later, Van Halen followed through on that promise

Re: Styx - Grand Illusion and Pieces of Eight are good listens.  Oddly enough my favorite cuts are with Tommy Shaw or James Young singing.

I had their other two albums Equinox and Crystal Ball too.  I gave Kilroy Was Here one listen and I was done with them.

Made it to the '86 Jam with Van Hagar.  Eddie Van Halen was phenomenal. 

Was at the 82 Jam:

• Journey
  • Santana
  • Sammy Hagar
  • Joan Jett
  • Point Blank

It was late in the afternoon and I was feeling the heat from being on the floor.  I was around the 50 yard line listening to Santana rocking the place.  I decided to sit down for a bit.  The bass and percussion were so intense I still remember roaches bouncing off the ground as I sat there.

That was the Escape album tour for Journey.  They put on quite the show as well.  It may have been documented, but IMHO, this tour was the beginning of the end for Steve Perry or at least the Steve Perry that people remember most.

9 minutes ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

Re: Styx - Grand Illusion and Pieces of Eight are good listens.  Oddly enough my favorite cuts are with Tommy Shaw or James Young singing.

I had their other two albums Equinox and Crystal Ball too.  I gave Kilroy Was Here one listen and I was done with them.

TS and JY are far better rock singers than DDY.  And, they're great guitarists.

Not sure what you were implying by "other two albums", but Pieces of Eight was their 8th album.  Depending on your point of view, all but the new-ish pop fans thought it was their peak or just past their peak.  Things got super ugly real quickly.

Was at the 82 Jam:

• Journey
  • Santana
  • Sammy Hagar
  • Joan Jett
  • Point Blank

I saw Journey & Sammy Hagar at a stadium jam in StL in 1980.  For some bizarre reason, Sammy headlined.  It was not good.  Journey was pretty good, being Journey.

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

TS and JY are far better rock singers than DDY.  And, they're great guitarists.

Not sure what you were implying by "other two albums", but Pieces of Eight was their 8th album.  Depending on your point of view, all but the new-ish pop fans thought it was their peak or just past their peak.  Things got super ugly real quickly.

I saw Journey & Sammy Hagar at a stadium jam in StL in 1980.  For some bizarre reason, Sammy headlined.  It was not good.  Journey was pretty good, being Journey.

I was looking at something on google and it didn't list their 1st four albums in a noticeable manner.  I do recall those first 4 now.  I think I even thought about buying them when I was buying their stuff but they(the other albums) didn't appeal to me.  GI and PoE  are peak Styx for me.  Pieces of Eight and Queen's News of the World were the first rock albums I bought.  I got an 8 track for Christmas with a gift certificate to a record store where I bought those two albums\8 tracks.  Blue Collar Man was getting a lot of play at the time as well as We Will Rock you and We Are the Champions.  

25 minutes ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

Pieces of Eight and Queen's News of the World were the first rock albums I bought.  I got an 8 track for Christmas with a gift certificate to a record store where I bought those two albums\8 tracks.  Blue Collar Man was getting a lot of play at the time as well as We Will Rock you and We Are the Champions.  

Yep, my first big show was Superjam '78 at Busch Stadium (StL).  Styx headlined, and released Pieces of Eight about a month later.  They claimed from the stage that we were the first audience to ever hear "Blue Collar Man", but I bet they said that to all the girls.  Still rocked, even if they were a long way from the greatest rock band ever.

18 hours ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

Was at the 82 Jam:

• Journey
  • Santana
  • Sammy Hagar
  • Joan Jett
  • Point Blank

It was late in the afternoon and I was feeling the heat from being on the floor.  I was around the 50 yard line listening to Santana rocking the place.  I decided to sit down for a bit.  The bass and percussion were so intense I still remember roaches bouncing off the ground as I sat there.

That was the Escape album tour for Journey.  They put on quite the show as well.  It may have been documented, but IMHO, this tour was the beginning of the end for Steve Perry or at least the Steve Perry that people remember most.

Did Point Blank get up there and play 'Nicole ' for 30 minutes? KLOL used to play that regularly, pretty cool tune. Listening to it again for 1st time in years, and it would be amazing done by ZZ Top in their late 70s style. 

Just now, Dennis Taylor said:

Did Point Blank get up there and play 'Nicole ' for 30 minutes? KLOL used to play that regularly, pretty cool tune. Listening to it again for 1st time in years, and it would be amazing done by ZZ Top in their late 70s style. 

I remember 'Great White Line' and that is about it. 

I jammed with the guitar player from Point Blank in hs once.

They were from Irving where I grew up. One of the older hippies I worked at Sonic with at 14 who helped teach me how to play invited me over to jam one Saturday. He has a Marshall 1/2 stack and a red Flying V and was the coolest motherfucker who’d ever acknowledged my existence up to that point. My mom dropped me off with my Fender Bullet and my little shitty crate practice amp. Walked in and Gary says hey man this is Kim. He plays in a band called Point Blank. I learned the Sammy Hagar tunes Heavy Metal and There’s Only One Way To Rock that day. Pretty heady shit for my 14 yo dumbass self.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

I saw them once when they did an (apparently lame) tour of outer Missouri.  I remember one of the dudes -- bass? -- had that white & black target paint job on his guitar before Zak Wylde made it famous.

"Nicole" has a weird Atlanta Rhythm Section vibe to it, but it's nowhere near as good.

Edited by jimmyjazz

• 3 weeks later...

Heck I remember wondering if my old 1967 Coronet was gonna make it to Dallas and back from West Houston.  Saw Van Halen again at the Sam Houston Coliseum a few months later opening for Black Sabbath. Walked out on Sabbath as they Ozzies voice sucked and they could not hold a candle to Van Halen.

Heart actually put on a hell of a show, which I was sort of not expecting.  I was really there for Head East, Nugent and Aerosmith.  In fact I honestly cannot remember if we missed Van Halen or not, but we were 18 and pretty damn hard partiers.  I had actually forgotten Journey was there, but for some reason I thought I remembered seeing them, but could never remember where... now I know!  Hot as fuck, but heck first big festival on my own.  I had been lucky enough a few years before to see Bob Dylan and the Rolling Thunder revue, but that was like my very first date and my Dad was taking pics, and we were in the press area on the mezzanine at the Dome.  Aerosmith actually sounded pretty good as I recall.  I remember walking out early on them in Houston(they were one of my faves) as Steven Tyler's voice just sucked I am still mad that my original pressing of Aerosmith's first album before the pulled all the crazy drug shit off the back and changed the cover. got ruined by a backed up AC at a college duplex.

Good times...

I still love hearing Head East most every time I get near the coast on the Radio. Something about that beat just gets me going even today.

1978 (July 1) – Texxas Music Festival, Cotton Bowl, Dallas, Texas (General Admission – $12.50)
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Was 1989 the summer Cotton Bowl show where The Who headlined, with Stevie Ray Vaughan, Fabulous Thunderbirds and Omar and the Howlers opened? I was a huge, huge Who fan; it was the only time I saw them live, and was almost ashamed to have to admit that Vaughan and the Thunderbirds put on a better show. 

It’s amazing that anyone thought it was a good idea to have an all day show in the summer in the Cotton Bowl. 

On 8/2/2022 at 8:39 AM, Dennis Taylor said:

Man...no love for "Mean To Your Queenie"?