Tell me about Texas Tech

Longboard Horn

28 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

This is dumb and patently false.

In the last season or so, we had 1 of the most powerful football conferences in the nation begging us to join. Even Aggy voted YES.

It's absolutely true.

Who stayed in the Big XII that could leave.

Fucking nobody.

2 hours ago, Uncle Nate said:

For me, as someone who is both (1) sad that we won't be playing each other every year, and yet (2) happy to see how the new dynamic amongst the members of the new Big 12 has come about, I think it's perfectly o.k. for me to say I'm glad UT is gone but I wish we were still playing.  The two thoughts are not mutually-exclusive.

There's no doubt that when Beebe was the commissioner and Dodds was the UT AD, UT threw its weight around and Beebe basically did whatever Dodds demanded.  Whether you all agree or not, the perception at least is that UT was the bully in the Big 12 room and there was a constant threat they would take their ball and leave if everyone didn't go along, which they did anyway.  It's also pretty apparent there was not a lot of unity in the Big 12 and a whole lot of distrust.   Whether that was on UT or not I'm sure is up for debate, but the bottom line is that we've never seen the Big 12 so unified and supportive of each other as we've seen this past year.  Would it be that way if OU and UT weren't leaving?  Honest question.

So yes, I'm glad UT is leaving the conference because I do think it made the rest of the conference partners better together than what they were, but I'm sad UT is leaving because it means we no longer play each other.  I miss the original Big 12 of 1996-2010.  But I don't miss the division, distrust, and vitriol that was present between the members...and there was a lot of blame to go around on that one.

Does the unity and happiness come now that you know who is going to be in your conference because it sure as fuck wasn’t there when it got leaked that we were leaving. 

I still can’t believe the politicians from tech, tcu, and Baylor trying to block UT from leaving. By doing that, they were admitting that UT was subsidizing your/their athletic department. And if we weren’t, why would they give a shit? 

And why would tech put that billboard up in Austin? 

There’s just too many examples of tech being really, really ass hurt about it but I think I agree with you and @Brian Fantana that y’all have calmed down now that you know who is coming to the B12. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, Pancho said:

Does the unity and happiness come now that you know who is going to be in your conference because it sure as fuck wasn’t there when it got leaked that we were leaving. 

I still can’t believe the politicians from tech, tcu, and Baylor trying to block UT from leaving. By doing that, they were admitting that UT was subsidizing your/their athletic department. And if we weren’t, why would they give a shit? 

UT is subsidized by the state of Texas.  We all live there.  IT's not by some miracle of administration that UT is fucking rich,

10 minutes ago, slorch said:

UT is subsidized by the state of Texas.  We all live there.  IT's not by some miracle of administration that UT is fucking rich,

And Tech receives ZERO funding from the citizens of this state, right? 

This reminds me of some dipshit on Baylorfans 15+ years ago claiming Texas had an unfair advantage because his taxes went to funding UT and paying for things like electricity and infrastructure, Texas could divert funds to the athletic department that poor, li'l ol Baylor couldn't match keep up with.

Edited by GhostOfTomJoad
slorch'd
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, slorch said:

It's absolutely true.

Who stayed in the Big XII that could leave.

Fucking nobody.

Of the 4 schools that left before Texas and OU, 2 have had the chance to vote to approve having Texas as a conference mate, and both did. One other went to a conference that fell apart, among other reasons because they ran off their own blue blood. The last one has a stable meal ticket at the B1G table worth far more than it could make in the 12. It is the same reason the new teams came. Their old digs were lousier. P2 > Next 2 > the rest. This is a story about more desirable conferences, not about teams fleeing big mean old Texas (except perhaps in part NU, whose lunch money we took on the field again and again). But carry on.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I can help explain why Texas is such a ‘First Class’ and well-funded university. This is from Article 7 of an obscure document known as the Constitution of the State of Texas. Funny thing, though. None of that money goes to football.

Sec. 10. ESTABLISHMENT OF UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS; AGRICULTURAL AND MECHANICAL DEPARTMENT. The Legislature shall as soon as practicable establish, organize and provide for the maintenance, support and direction of a University of the first class, to be located by a vote of the people of this State, and styled, "The University of Texas", for the promotion of literature, and the arts and sciences, including an Agricultural, and Mechanical department.

(Feb. 15, 1876.)

Sec. 11. ESTABLISHMENT OF PERMANENT UNIVERSITY FUND; INVESTMENT IN GOVERNMENT BONDS. In order to enable the Legislature to perform the duties set forth in the foregoing Section, it is hereby declared all lands and other property heretofore set apart and appropriated for the establishment and maintenance of the University of Texas, together with all the proceeds of sales of the same, heretofore made or hereafter to be made, and all grants, donations and appropriations that may hereafter be made by the State of Texas, or from any other source, except donations limited to specific purposes, shall constitute and become a Permanent University Fund.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, MAUFRAIS said:

This is an interesting comment.

Do you see a therapist?

No Texas protectors keep me happy and grateful.  Thanks for keeping things straight boys. 

img_1301.jpg

8 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Are you drunk

I am more sober than the Texas fans who wonder why their program left the Big XII for dead and think they should be treated as some fucking dignitary on a farewell tour.

I am happy for their gleefulness though.

image4-300x262.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

I was about to ask him the same thing

they're being "kitschy" and "irreverent" to show how much this talk "isn't bothering them," totally unaware of how it looks when they reply 20 times in under an hour to every post.

It's basically how socially inept children act when they're being picked on.

1 minute ago, slorch said:

I am more sober than the Texas fans who wonder why their program left the Big XII for dead

Did the BXII just not increase in size? Is your HC, AD, and conference commissioner not chirping that their best days are firmly ahead of them?   Tech and the rest all get to enjoy exactly what they've always wanted...a conference without Texas and OU. Enjoy, sandy vag. 

• Hook 'Em 2

54 minutes ago, slorch said:

Try again.

Texas Athletics isn’t subsidized by The State of Texas. It’s financially independent. Hell, Texas Athletic Department regularly donates $$ back to The University.

55 minutes ago, Pancho said:

There’s just too many examples of tech being really, really ass hurt about it but I think I agree with you and @Brian Fantana that y’all have calmed down now that you know who is coming to the B12. 

Well, not just because we got the four corners to join and help stabilize us, but even more so the fact we have a seat at the CFP table. Once they expanded to 12 and the Big12 could rely on at least one team getting in barring just a crappy season across the conference, then I was good. Just wanted that opportunity and we got it. 

So I’m good. And I honestly think Yormark, being the consummate promoter, said those words purposely to create this exact stir and build up that last conference game. It wouldn’t surprise me if he even called CDC ahead of time and said, “Hey Chris…I’m going to say this stuff at the RRC luncheon and get the press in a frenzy. Just doing it to build up the drama for that last game.”  And knowing CDC like I do, he probably laughed and said do it, it will be fun. I wouldn’t put it past either guy because they are both two guys who know the power of promoting stuff like this. 

6 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Did the BXII just not increase in size? Is your HC, AD, and conference commissioner not chirping that their best days are firmly ahead of them?   Tech and the rest all get to enjoy exactly what they've always wanted...a conference without Texas and OU. Enjoy, sandy vag. 

Texas left the Big XII for dead.  Fact.  They don't owe us anything, nor do we owe them.  Happy fucking trails.

None of your post has jack shit to do with Texas,

Grateful for Happy Trails.

8ccb9f4e-8ee1-4df6-8377-b006310d0ea3_tex

8 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

It’s false. Tech BEGGED Texas to stay, and other conferences were BEGGING Texas to join.  Even Aggy voted for Texas to join SEC.

Because the SEC told them to shut up and raise their hand to vote with a gun to their  head but yea they voted yes….  Lol

Edited by Hook1997
  • Hook 'Em 1

It’s false. Tech BEGGED Texas to stay, and other conferences were BEGGING Texas to join.  Even Aggy voted for Texas to join SEC.

Your posts have not disproven my initial post.  You are chasing in another direction with each subsequent post.

I celebrate in your honor.  Happiness and good tidings.

k5lbm8hovpupu5xf2qzy.jpg

20 minutes ago, slorch said:

I am more sober than the Texas fans who wonder why their program left the Big XII for dead and think they should be treated as some fucking dignitary on a farewell tour.

I am happy for their gleefulness though.

image4-300x262.jpeg

1) The Big 12 is fine, at least until realignment happens again in 10 years and we end up with 2 conferences, enjoy it

2) I don't think any of these dudes think they should be treated any other way than they are

3) If they whine about it, they're baby dicks

4) I don't see any of the guys here at least doing the SEC SEC SEC thing like aggy so that's a step up at least

5) Why am I even here? It's time to get drunk

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, slorch said:

Your posts have not disproven my initial post.  You are chasing in another direction with each subsequent post.

I celebrate in your honor.  Happiness and good tidings.

k5lbm8hovpupu5xf2qzy.jpg

are you drunk?

Your post that said that everyone who could end their dealings with Texas did?

The SEC certainly had the ability to cease dealing with us and instead begged us to join.

Tech could have ceased dealing with Texas, instead they paid lobbyists and sent their big wigs to the Texas Legislature in an attempt to force TEXAS to continue dealing with Tech. Tech BEGGED Texas to continue playing (dealing with) them after Texas chose to leave the Big Xii.

Your statement was patently false and stupid. You look dumb for making it and even dumber(er) for doubling down and defending it.

Edited by lilMAC25
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

I'm glad it worked out too.  As butthurt as most of these schools are, I didn't want them to be left for dead. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

are you drunk?

Your post that said that everyone who could ran away? 

The SEC certainly had the ability to run away, and instead begged us to join.

The SEC was in the Big XII?

No.

I celebrate your illiteracy though.

merry-fucking-whatever-christmas-candle_

Just to make Tech people feel better, I would have preferred the Big 12. But the pre-NIL under the table payments, SEC hype train required action if you wanted to compete with it. It is the money, but the competitive environment was skewed. Who else was going to act? PAC-12? I doubt it. The ACC still is sitting on their hands.

The playoff and subsequent expansion made conference shifts a certainty. The SEC and Big 10 still and will always want what is their “right.” The most seats at that table, which in their minds, is my 3 loss team is better than your 1 loss team.

Tech and Baylor are our rivals. Maybe not the primary ones but rivals nonetheless. History and living amongst each other make the best rivalries. We have/had that. Losing them forever, that’s hard to reconcile. Supplement that with great and varied non conference matchups, and you have a winner.

I’m not a big trash talker, and a great part of road game experiences are the brief bonding experiences with opposing football fans who appreciate the moment. Winning is enough. Losing is painful enough. All the rest is bullshit.

Nobody asked my opinion. And no one gives a shit about my opinion now, but each step closer to the NFL this becomes the less great it becomes to me.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

I mean this is where I'm at. I don't see why any of it is that big of a deal to anyone. It's the same reason aggy made a stink about being the "only SEC team in Texas" at the same time, all grandstanding from random powers that be.

EVERYONE needs to relax, from the Tech fans that are being "snide on social media" (this is in itself kind of laughable, who cares??), to the Texas fans that are upset about being "blamed for everything", to all the other boomers that are screaming about the realignment stuff "killing college sports" (if I had a nickel for every time I've heard this over the years), as if any of their/our blathering changes one single iota of anything. Everyone will likely be happy with how it all ends up.

Like I said, play the games, talk shit, drink beer, be happy, we're all dipshit fanatics.

I agree, and this board and fanbase is very happy about where we are headed..up AND out.

You are about to get everything you want and deserve.

Don't confuse expressing opinions on the internet with unhappiness or anger.

We're happy....but fuck you.  Both emotions can exist.

Edited by horngrad03

41 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Just to make Tech people feel better, I would have preferred the Big 12. But the pre-NIL under the table payments, SEC hype train required action if you wanted to compete with it. It is the money, but the competitive environment was skewed. Who else was going to act? PAC-12? I doubt it. The ACC still is sitting on their hands.

The playoff and subsequent expansion made conference shifts a certainty. The SEC and Big 10 still and will always want what is their “right.” The most seats at that table, which in their minds, is my 3 loss team is better than your 1 loss team.

Tech and Baylor are our rivals. Maybe not the primary ones but rivals nonetheless. History and living amongst each other make the best rivalries. We have/had that. Losing them forever, that’s hard to reconcile. Supplement that with great and varied non conference matchups, and you have a winner.

I’m not a big trash talker, and a great part of road game experiences are the brief bonding experiences with opposing football fans who appreciate the moment. Winning is enough. Losing is painful enough. All the rest is bullshit.

Nobody asked my opinion. And no one gives a shit about my opinion now, but each step closer to the NFL this becomes the less great it becomes to me.

Amen. 

45 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

It's easy for me to reconcile when we get much of the same, just upgraded. We get back our games with Arkansas and Aggy, keep our game with OU, and add in an LSU game as another close proximity game. I run into way more LSU fans in Houston than Baylor or Tech fans. I'd say in all of college football realignment, Texas comes out the absolute sweetest in terms of retaining rivalries. And there's nothing stopping Texas from scheduling monster OOC games either. Our first year in the SEC we're playing Michigan. Plus, you know, the perks of the vast majority of our conference games coming from "University of" Flagship schools, instead of "3rd Place States" like we had in the Big 12.

I went to every Big 12 stadium when I was a student at UT. I always thought of places like Tech and Baylor like I thought of U of H. It felt little league for Texas to play in stadiums like those. No love lost at all.

Edited by WelfareBuysMyWeed
  • Hook 'Em 2

slorch, Texas isn’t where it is as a football blue blood because of the money from the state. 

UT is the flagship school, in the nation’s most football crazed state, located in the best town/city for young people. 

That’s why Texas is a blue blood. 

In the ‘50s, Texas gave the nod for TT to join the SWC (which pissed off TCU, who thought west Texas was “their” territory). Texas took Tech along to the Big 12. Texas almost took Tech along to the PAC. 

And now, Tech has fixed it so we won’t play again for a really long time. 

Edited by statsman
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, statsman said:

slorch, Texas isn’t where it is as a football blue blood because of the money from the state. 

UT is the flagship school, in the nation’s most football crazed state, located in the best town/city for young people. 

That’s why Texas is a blue blood. 

And that former track coach from Kansas State was right when he stated, “We are the Jones’s.”

I believe that’s what threw gas on the smoldering hate fire.

• Hook 'Em 1

It's easy for me to reconcile when we get much of the same, just upgraded. We get back our games with Arkansas and Aggy, keep our game with OU, and add in an LSU game as another close proximity game. I run into way more LSU fans in Houston than Baylor or Tech fans. I'd say in all of college football realignment, Texas comes out the absolute sweetest in terms of retaining rivalries. And there's nothing stopping Texas from scheduling monster OOC games either. Our first year in the SEC we're playing Michigan. Plus, you know, the perks of the vast majority of our conference games coming from "University of" Flagship schools, instead of "3rd Place States" like we had in the Big 12.
I went to every Big 12 stadium when I was a student at UT. I always thought of places like Tech and Baylor like I thought of U of H. It felt little league for Texas to play in stadiums like those. No love lost at all.

It’s been a number of years but Tech and Baylor were better in game environments than Ole Miss and Mizzou in my experiences.

There’s value for day trips in not only football but basketball and maybe even baseball too. I’d assume we’d get some of those for non-football but we’ll see.

I think there will be fewer marquee non conference games eventually whether that’s the super conferences shifting to a more structured schedule or more teams realizing the potential extra loss is a negative.

Sure Texas come out ahead. Sorta. But as long as Texas-Bu-TCU-A&M are reasonably competitive it’s dumb that they don’t all play each other.

It’s not surprising you’d see more LSU in Houston but not sure that holds elsewhere in Texas.

I figured Tech was 5th or 6th on the rivalry pecking order with Texas.  It always meant a lot more to us than it did to them

That's cool and I get it.   I never hated Texas like I do A&M. Hell I don't really like TCU and their ticketing bullshit in Ft Worth because they can't fill their own stadium.  I don't like Baylor because...well...rape.  I don't like UH because...well...they always think they are better, but by every measure that matters, are not.

Fuck it.  Kill Wyoming.  I celebrate their existence.

7bhz5h.jpg

47 minutes ago, statsman said:

slorch, Texas isn’t where it is as a football blue blood 

Texas isn't a blue blood in any sport not called baseball.

They've won 2 National Championships in my lifetime, or almost 53 years.

200_d.gif

19 minutes ago, slorch said:

I figured Tech was 5th or 6th on the rivalry pecking order with Texas.  It always meant a lot more to us than it did to them

That's cool and I get it.   I never hated Texas like I do A&M. Hell I don't really like TCU and their ticketing bullshit in Ft Worth because they can't fill their own stadium.  I don't like Baylor because...well...rape.  I don't like UH because...well...they always think they are better, but by every measure that matters, are not.

Fuck it.  Kill Wyoming.  I celebrate their existence.

7bhz5h.jpg

Yup. I've never really had much if any animosity towards Texas like I've had toward Aggy etc. Grew up in a Longhorn family. Aggy is probably the only school I hate, and it's not even because of sports or anything, it's just how insane and shitty their fan base is about life in general. Almost all fans of other schools I've been around are totally normal.

Blah Blah Blah Whatever GIF by Minions

Even after nearly 15 years of continuous bad football, Texas is top 5 all times in wins.

In our lifetimes...  I'm older'n fuck and they have 2 championships during that.  For most of the fuckers on this board, it's 1, and that required the miracle of Vincent Young.