Tell me about Texas Tech

Longboard Horn

27 minutes ago, statsman said:

McGuire will be in the short list for the Ag job. Him and Traylor. 

Tech Athletics will not get outbid for retaining  a coach in the Big 3 sports. Only shitbags with UT connections leave.

Joey ain't that guy.

Regardless of cash however, given Tech's history, that doesn't mean we can't run him off.  Fuck Texas A&M though. JFC.

Edited by slorch

4 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

I think Slorch is posting all these happy posts and memes because he's just happy that Tech didn't have to drop down to the Mountain West. lol 

625-We-count-our-miseries-carefully-and-

2 hours ago, slorch said:

Tech Athletics will not get outbid for retaining  a coach in the Big 3 sports. Only shitbags with UT connections leave.

Joey ain't that guy.

Regardless of cash however, given Tech's history, that doesn't mean we can't run him off.  Fuck Texas A&M though. JFC.

Lolololololololol on not getting outbid, especially considering College Station/Texas a&m is more appealing and has a greater history of winning than Tech

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, slorch said:

Joey ain't that guy.

This is what a true rivalry looks like..

IMG_0315.png

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Lolololololololol on not getting outbid, especially considering College Station/Texas a&m is more appealing and has a greater history of winning than Tech

Uhhhhhhhh…gonna have to disagree with your choice of words. If you said “higher profile” or “in a more marquee conference” or something, ok. But “more appealing”? Nah. Neither CS nor TAM per se is more appealing than almost any alternative.

• Hook 'Em 2

If Deloss Dodds was running the B12 like a dictator, why did it take a decade plus to try to get consistency out of taunting penalties? Why are we having officiating issues within the conference where holding is not being properly and evenly applied? Why did Texas not play for the title in 2008 vs. Florida? Where is the conference network that Dodds pitched?

The narrative that Texas is a poor conference mate is false. Texas didn’t accept a bribe to stay in the conference. Texas did look to leave along with other conference mates in a package deal when the future of the conference was uncertain. But all that did was create resentment from the irate 8. The officiating fuckery ramped up, and the leadership was happy to piss off Texas and OUsux for years. Then y’all acted shocked when both schools opted to leave together. You need us more than we needed you.

Aggy, Mizzou, Colorado, and Nebraska ditched the conference, aggy did so after promising to commit to the conference and taking a bribe. And when they left, the process was by and large fairly easy, not dragged out for years. Aggy’s buyout was about the same as the bribe they got to commit the year before, the bribe Texas and OU rejected.

So while I too liked the first iteration of the B12, the ultimate reason for its loss of several members is squarely on the conference leadership and the people who allowed them to piss off member institutions. Oh and if you think wrestlemania dipshit won’t be coming for you, you are delusional. They always stir up shit, because the product on the field isn’t so compelling without it.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Tech will not be outbid to retain its coaches.  That's hardly the same as A&M's drunken sailor act with regard to cash and corches.

I don't live in Lubbock. I don't care for it, personally.  However, as a college town, it is fantastic.  Bryan College Station is not any more appealing the the South Plains, plus you're then surrounded by aggy.  

Aggy success in the arena was a long fucking time ago.  As posted upthread, they hardly hold the upper hand on face-to-face meetings since the Big XII began.  

sigh, i cant believe i have to defend CS but College station is an 1.25 hrs from downtown houston and just over 1.5 hrs from downtown austin. That alone makes it better than lubbock. 

dont get me wrong, id live in lubbock before I lived anywhere in oklahoma, but lubbock isnt even in the top 10 of fbs towns in texas

utep, tx state, utsa, rice, u of h, unt, smu, tcu, aggy, texas, and maybe even baylor are all located in better places

if tech was located in any of those places, no oen would really have any reason to spend any time in the hub city

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

sigh, i cant believe i have to defend CS but College station is an 1.25 hrs from downtown houston and just over 1.5 hrs from downtown austin. That alone makes it better than lubbock. 

dont get me wrong, id live in lubbock before I lived anywhere in oklahoma, but lubbock isnt even in the top 10 of fbs towns in texas

utep, tx state, utsa, rice, u of h, unt, smu, tcu, aggy, texas, and maybe even baylor are all located in better places

if tech was located in any of those places, no oen would really have any reason to spend any time in the hub city

You are wrong.  A lot.

College Station sucks.  It was in my work area for 13 years.  There is nothing there but A&M.  You are saying you'd prefer aggy over Techsans.  LOfuckingL.

13 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

I'm not sure which is better between CS and Lubbock, but I'm definitely never going to live in a shitty town whose biggest sales pitch is that "it's only 1.5 hours from (a good town)!"   Are you gonna sit in your car for three hours just to eat at a nice restaurant or go to live music on a weeknight?  

And no, this thread isn’t solely for Tech posters to talk about their team. This is a UT board. This thread is for our fans to talk about tech. this isn’t secrant or an all NCAA message board. 

And Lubbock and Bryan?CS are the same city. Same retail stores, same people, same chain restaurants. Neither one is better than the other. The only issue with Lubbock is its isolation.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Nivek said:

The officiating fuckery ramped up, and the leadership was happy to piss off Texas and OUsux for years. Then y’all acted shocked when both schools opted to leave together. You need us more than we needed you.

I wish I could rep your post 100 times, because it's full of facts and truth.

Texas could have left the Big 12 at ****ANY POINT**** in the past 15 years.  When this topic used to come up 15+ years ago, I was receptive to the idea of going Big 10 or Pac X.  Those conferences felt like better cultural fits with Austin, and I wasn't crazy about competing with the bagmen of the yeehaw Deep South.  Obviously, a lot has changed in the last 15 years, including NIL.  I'm glad the alums like me who were looking Midwest or West Coast lost that argument.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I'm pretty sure the Texas/OU departures were announced within weeks of the new NIL rules.  I don't think that's a coincidence.  

I mean, in the late-stage capitalism of the modern NCAA, why would Texas keep themselves yoked to schools who cannot pull their own weight in terms of revenue, why would Texas fill their home schedule with a bunch of schools that NO ONE (including our own season-ticket holders) gives a shit about, miss out on all the five-star recruits who want to play on the biggest stages, and subject themselves to endless fuckery from the openly "Anyone-But-Texas" administrators (like Yormark) who run the conference?

There were ZERO reasons for us to slog on in this league.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

And no, this thread isn’t solely for Tech posters to talk about their team. This is a UT board. This thread is for our fans to talk about tech. this isn’t secrant or an all NCAA message board. 

And Lubbock and Bryan?CS are the same city. Same retail stores, same people, same chain restaurants. Neither one is better than the other. The only issue with Lubbock is its isolation.

And the dust storms, wind, occasional smell, high rate of STDs, being 10 hrs from the coast, and over 4 hrs from any city that has more than 150k people

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, Pancho said:

I still can’t believe the politicians from tech, tcu, and Baylor trying to block UT from leaving. By doing that, they were admitting that UT was subsidizing your/their athletic

What surprises me is that you can't believe it. Politics is a big show.

No politician was actually going to be able to block a conference move.

Any attempt(s) to do so was purely for show.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, slorch said:

Texas isn't a blue blood in any sport not called baseball.

They've won 2 National Championships in my lifetime, or almost 53 years.

On 8/24/2023 at 12:46 PM, slorch said:

Everyone who could end their dealings with Texas did.  Y'all are the assholes.

We should start a poll asking which of these posts is dumber.

I'm not sure what my vote would be.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Holy shit- you people are still crying about horns down? JFC

I’m sorry I forgot how stupid tech fans can be. Let me use smaller words. Texas wanted the rules applied evenly. Full stop. If horns down is not a penalty, than guns down/holstered should not be a penalty. If guns up is not a penalty, horns up is not a penalty.

If that was too technical for you let me put that into my tech compiler…

Her dur derka dur her duhhh muh meh cuz hur duhr zool blahhhh
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Nivek said:

I’m sorry I forgot how stupid tech fans can be. Let me use smaller words. Texas wanted the rules applied evenly. Full stop. If horns down is not a penalty, than guns down/holstered should not be a penalty. If guns up is not a penalty, horns up is not a penalty.

If that was too technical for you let me put that into my tech compiler…

Her dur derka dur her duhhh muh meh cuz hur duhr zool blahhhh

Yeah, the narrative that Texas wanted some special treatment re: the Horns Down was always 100% bullshit.

Either people were too dumb to understand the real issue or too anxious to color the whole thing as some example of Texas arrogance. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, lilMAC25 said:

Even after nearly 15 years of continuous bad football, Texas is top 5 all times in wins.

The  "all time wins" argument is weak as shit (fuck ohio state). Let's run down some reasons why..

1. The programs that started early (i.e. Ohio State in the 1890s) would have a better chance of being in the top ten vs 'newer' programs. (i.e. UCF started D1-A in 1996).

2. How many of those all-time wins were against FCS, D2 or G5 teams that were paid to come over and take an ass beating?

3. How many of those all-time wins were against teams with losing records the year they played?

4. How many of those wins came against teams that still exist? Ever heard of Otterbein, Wittenberg, Oberlin, Marietta, Ohio Medical, Muskingum and Kenyon? Those are the teams Ohio St played from the 1890s to late 1920s.

I will wrap this up with fuck ohio state and I love big naturals.

brooklyn.thumb.jpg.3d87bddc83d1754e939bea78ae94a077.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

19 minutes ago, redswingline said:

The  "all time wins" argument is weak as shit (fuck ohio state). Let's run down some reasons why..

1. The programs that started early (i.e. Ohio State in the 1890s) would have a better chance of being in the top ten vs 'newer' programs. (i.e. UCF started D1-A in 1996).

2. How many of those all-time wins were against FCS, D2 or G5 teams that were paid to come over and take an ass beating?

3. How many of those all-time wins were against teams with losing records the year they played?

4. How many of those wins came against teams that still exist? Ever heard of Otterbein, Wittenberg, Oberlin, Marietta, Ohio Medical, Muskingum and Kenyon? Those are the teams Ohio St played from the 1890s to late 1920s.

I will wrap this up with fuck ohio state and I love big naturals.

brooklyn.thumb.jpg.3d87bddc83d1754e939bea78ae94a077.jpg

And yet what happened when YOU played those same teams that you chastise others for playing throughout the last century? You either beat them and count them to your win totals, or you lost and have no excuse. Tech has played an FCS school every year for the last 18 seasons. How many have we played during that time? So gtfo with that weak ass argument. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Had Enough said:

I would have preferred the Big 12. But the pre-NIL under the table payments, SEC hype train required action if you wanted to compete with it. It is the money, but the competitive environment was skewed.  but each step closer to the NFL this becomes the less great it becomes to me.

I agree with most of what you said. The end result for me (and I am sure for a lot of fans) is that we are now cut out of a lot of away games with this conference change.

It's relatively easy to travel within Texas and see our team play road games vs B12 teams. That's not the case moving the to SEC. It has to suck even more for the fans of P12 teams that are moving to the B10 - the travel distances are not fan friendly.

Edited by redswingline

16 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

sAnd yet what happened when YOU played those same teams that you chastise others for playing throughout the last century? You either beat them and count them to your win totals, or you lost and have no excuse. Tech has played an FCS school every year for the last 18 seasons. How many have we played during that time? So gtfo with that weak ass argument. 

Where did I make exclusions for said argument? Take your faux rage and shove it up your ass.

My argument applies to any team that wants to tout their  "all-time-wins".

Edited by redswingline

25 minutes ago, redswingline said:

Where did I make exclusions for said argument? Take your faux rage and shove it up your ass.

My argument applies to any team that wants to tout their  "all-time-wins".

All time wins and championships are precisely how you measure a blue blood program. If you choose to say it somehow doesn't count in your world, then I would love for you to regail me with your criteria for greatness on a football field.

2 hours ago, Vertigo said:

All time wins and championships are precisely how you measure a blue blood program.

Your energies are misdirected. I never said blue blood and the post you responded to was my opinion that all-time-win totals cannot be taken at face value.

However, proceed if you must..

old-man-yells-at-cloud-yelling.gif.0e386833bfddb88560b04ba67aa1c9b1.gif

Edited by redswingline

Lulz at Slorch whining that Texas isnt a cfb blueblood. if you google that topic, my guess is that we show up on most every list. Not that it really gave us any edge over the last 15 years, because we kept hiring dumbass  coaches.

But with NIL, it may not matter. We can likely win even with Sark in a fashion similar to LSU/Coach O. We're the yankees, and if we continue to throw enough NIL money at the matter, we probably will win championships occasionally. But my give a fuck for college football is about 5% of what it was in 2005. The sport is a fucking joke now. 

Edited by Blotto
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

image.gif.664546a5e3f9b6195f6ec48ba8a72d56.gif

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

You're one to talk, Mr. Abilene Christian. With all the money your family has, that's the best private school you could get into for undergrad?

I'm sure your collegiate experience in that town was vastly superior. /s

image.gif.7d572366d98b6272bedfbe172335b1b7.gif

8 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

I have a Texas degree.  You’re an absolute loser in life who has to resort to having sex with hideously disgusting sex workers and should consider taking a shot of bleach. 

image.jpeg.0299da58d74ad665bcf21bf632895069.jpeg

7 hours ago, redswingline said:

What surprises me is that you can't believe it. Politics is a big show.

No politician was actually going to be able to block a conference move.

Any attempt(s) to do so was purely for show.

Yeah Texas politicians NEVER get involved in conference realignment…

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/college/2021/08/16/texas-longhorns-football-join-sec-expansion-southwest-conference-harvey-schiller/5515187001/

The SEC will grow to 16 teams after Texas and Oklahoma join. The conference had 10 teams while Schiller was commissioner. He desired more, and the SEC began exploring expansion.

“We focused on Arkansas and South Carolina, and really wanted Texas,” Schiller told me earlier this month. “So, something interesting happened: The (Texas) state legislature came back to me and said, ‘If you take Texas, you have to take Texas A&M.’ The funny part about it is that A&M was sort of lukewarm at the time about coming in.”

And the SEC wasn’t enthralled with the Aggies back then, Schiller said

https://www.si.com/college/2016/08/16/big-12-expansion-oral-history-big-8-swc-merger

With that, the issue became more political. Rumors still flew that Texas was headed to the Pac-10 and Texas A&M to the SEC. David Sibley, a Baylor graduate who was a Texas state senator from 1991–2000, wanted answers, and he and Rob Junell, then the chairman of the Texas House Appropriations Committee, decided to take action. They confirmed that Texas A&M still had interest in the SEC, but Texas's preference for the Big Eight and the looming ABC/ESPN compromise dictated the future of the SWC.

Sibley: We had a brief conversation, and it ended with Junell saying, "Cut loose the dogs of war." At the time, Bob Bullock was the lieutenant governor, and he was a Baylor Law graduate. The speaker of the house was from Texas Tech, and [Junell] was from Texas Tech. And then the chairman of the Senate Finance Committee was a Texas Tech person, John Montford. And then there I was, representing Waco and a Baylor graduate.

Junell and Sibley mobilized on Thursday or Friday, Sibley says, and by Sunday, a group was assembled in Bullock's office to strike a deal. The lieutenant governor, along with Sibley, Montford, Cunningham and Clayton (the former speaker of the Texas House of Representatives and an A&M graduate) agreed: in addition to Texas and Texas A&M, Texas Tech and Baylor would make the cut.

How do you think UH got in the Big 12? They didn’t need more Texas schools…

https://www.texastribune.org/2016/08/10/inside-university-houstons-political-push-join-big/

How do you think aggy was able to leave the Big 12? Do you honestly think it had nothing to do with Rick Perry sitting in the governor’s mansion?

Texas and OU moving to the SEC just so happened to be leaked AFTER the regular session of the State Legislature had completed. The only way they could have stopped this move would be for the governor to call a special session specifically about that topic.

While I know most people here dislike (kind way to put it) Abbott, he was informed of Texas moving to the SEC and with his support behind it the Legislature couldn’t do much more than a dog and pony show. This year’s session was the only chance the lege had to try and block it but by now tempers had cooled and with Abbott still at the helm with veto power, along with the political good will from letting cougar high join, plus the renewal of the UT/aggy game it all worked out.

But you are a dipshit if you think there was a not a real possibility of political shenanigans that could have occurred. Perry politically facilitated aggy getting into the SEC and Abbott did the same for Texas.

• Like 2