Victor Wembanyama- basketball's NEXT next unicorn?

shadow_operative

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, gofuckyourself said:

Eh, it's more ridiculous to think it will never happen, either by Wemby or anyone.

You're right, "never" was harsh on my part. I'll give Wemby a 0.001% chance of ever recording a quintuple-double. The only way it's happening is in a meaningless regular season game where he has something like 26/12/9/8/6 in the 3rd quarter, and his coach (not named Pop) let's him blatantly chase it a la Devin Booker. Sure, that's in the realm of possibility.

There's a better chance than not that he never has a single 10+ steal game in his career because it's really hard to do as a non-perimeter player. That said, I'd feel pretty safe putting money down on him being the first player to have official career highs of 10+ in all categories if he has a full career because that's how norm-defying he is. The odds are just infinitesimal that they all align on the same night. But sure, if anyone theoretically could do it, he's the favorite by a country mile.

I'm in no way, shape, or form trying to slight him whatsoever.

Edited by aggie08
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

I'll give Wemby a 0.001% chance of ever recording a quintuple-double.

See that wasn't so hard was it?

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I'm in no way, shape, or form trying to slight him whatsoever.

Fuck you and your irrational Wemby hate.

I kid. I know you're arguing a logical point. Though I'd give him .01%, at least.

I hope it happens not just because I'm a Spurs fan but I'd hope any player does it for the wow factor.

Except Draymond, that POS. I was concerned he had a chance for a while back in the late 2010s.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Mind you, that month is the shortest of the year and it had an 8 day break for the all-star game in it. And he played only 3/12 of them at home while averaging only 29 mpg. 

this is all just proof that we’re living in a simulation, and that wemby is god’s create-a-player. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, gofuckyourself said:

Yeah, but he'll never do other things that no one has ever done because no one has ever done them before. I mean that's just science.

like i said in my last post about this, my skepticism isn’t about wemby and his talents, it’s about the specific game dynamics that would be required for this to happen. the sheer number of possessions needed to get both 10 blocks and 10 steals a game is astronomical. it would have to be a close, competitive game that goes into multiple overtimes (i’m thinking 3-4 minimum) where wemby plays like 55+ minutes.

so, how many times will that happen in his career? and will he be able to pull off this extraordinary feat on one of the 1-2 (if that many) nights where that happens? i would genuinely love for some statistics and probabilities professor to come up with a percentage that estimates the probability of this happening. my guess is that they would find ghat wemby has a <1% chance of making it happen.

Edited by shadow_operative

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I don’t know why lebron at 18 from 2 years ago is the comparison choice, but just as an alternative Luka I think was 20 his rookie nba season and did 21.2/7.8/6.0 six years ago in 32.2 mpg. 

I guess because they were both considered, respectively, the best prospects arguably ever coming into their rookie seasons? Wemby is almost exactly a year older than Lebron was in his rookie season. Luka was about 2 months younger than Wemby during his rookie year. Even at 18-19, Lebron was so much more physically developed than Wemby is now. Scary to think what Wemby is going to be like when he grows into his body.

Here's the per 36 minute comparison:

image.thumb.png.4f790410e45708970f478bcaa3309016.png

Here's the advanced stats comparison:

image.thumb.png.f60fa22c24b87cc0fe50bb9fffee6497.png

Wemby is obscene and the trajectory he's on from the French league to now is even more obscene. If they can put even marginally competent players around him...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

More Wemby analysis:

If I were the Spurs, I'd take a hard look at the two-man guard/center game that Denver developed with Jokic and Murray.

Though Jokic is unmatched as a passer, Wemby is excellent in his own right, and he's already proven himself capable from BTA or driving to the hoop. Of course, guards who can create, drive, shoot and pass like Murray don't grow on trees, but if the Spurs can pair Wemby with the right guy and they put in the work, San Antonio will be a force for many years.

6 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Maybe it happens a lot but seeing him stand flat footed and hit a shot from ~12’ over a guy with his arm completely outstretched in Wemby’s face had me laughing pretty good last night  

Ok it was near the basket , but still.

about the 1 minute mark

https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/39756077

It seems like every other night he's doing something that's never been done before statistically. Some of that is bullshit because the game is broken right now and all of the numbers across the league are out of hand, but this one is still pretty good:

The most completely fucked up part about this stat is that Kareem did it while playing 41.2 and 43.8 minutes per night. Olajuwon did it playing 39.5 and 41 mpg. Victor is doing it averaging 29.0 mpg.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tre Jones blew a layup off of a great Wemby pass in transition. Also plenty of missed shots from 3 point land when he kicked it out. It was frustrating, the main thing holding him back is his teammates not being able to finish when he finds them.

I’m starting to think this guy seems like he might be okay at playing basketball. For his sake I hope he stays injury free and that he has a long and successful career. Guys like this grow the popularity of basketball on a global level and make more kids want to play. He’s doing things as a rookie that even in this era of inflated statistics is just unreal. Injuries are the only thing that can derail him and guys like Holmgren. I really hope science and medicine keeps improving so they can play for as long as they want to without their bodies breaking down.