Victor Wembanyama- basketball's NEXT next unicorn?

shadow_operative

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

richard jefferson chiding zach collins for being a “big guy” who didn’t bang hard on “small guy” luka dincic, who literally weighs more than zach collins. 

god damn RJ is just as bad as mark jackson. 

I thought that was funny too. I don't think Luka actually weighs more than him but I'm like... bro what are you talking about Luka is a fucking load. 

12 minutes ago, gofuckyourself said:

Cool. Make a Dereck Lively thread. Dude probably deserves one. But this ain't it.

The point is that while VW showed flashes, another rookie drafted in the first round had a better debut. A debut that was the same game as VW's. I think that's relevant enough to be posted, you don't?

I think ultimately barring injuries and injuries that nag, VW will be the consensus #1 pick in any retrospective redrafts, but you never know and his post was interesting fodder after game  #1.

37 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

The point is that while VW showed flashes, another rookie drafted in the first round had a better debut. A debut that was the same game as VW's. I think that's relevant enough to be posted, you don't?

I think ultimately barring injuries and injuries that nag, VW will be the consensus #1 pick in any retrospective redrafts, but you never know and his post was interesting fodder after game  #1.

Lively was very good last night. He's also playing on a team with two future HOF'ers. The only future HOF'er on VW's team *might* be him -- we'll have to wait and see.

VW got side-tracked by early foul trouble (ticky-tack as some of those might've been) but maybe started to find his footing in the fourth quarter.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, ztejas said:

You guys are right. Lively/Wemby looks like it's going to be the next Magic/Bird. I hope we made the right choice by taking VW over him. I know it was really controversial at the time. 

I know you are joking and while obviously the odds of VW being a Chet Holmgren (or in a doomsday scenario, Greg Oden) are slim, they still exist just because of biology and physics at that extremely beneficial length and size.

Edited by BeardIP

1 hour ago, BeardIP said:

I know you are joking and while obviously the odds of VW being a Chet Holmgren (or in a doomsday scenario, Greg Oden) are slim, they still exist just because of biology and physics at that extremely beneficial length and size.

I think we all understand that. What Lively has to do with that I'm not sure. 

He looks like he might be a nice player. He won't be as good as Wemby and they have different player profiles on top of that. Lively isn't exactly a normal sized human, either. Wemby could wind up scoring 30,000 points and Lively could be out of the league in 5 years with back issues. 

Trying to dunk on Spurs fans through one game because Wemby got in foul trouble and Lively caught some lobs from Luka is silly. No one that watched that game would come away rather having Lively or thinking he's the better player.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I think we all understand that. What Lively has to do with that I'm not sure. 

He looks like he might be a nice player. He won't be as good as Wemby and they have different player profiles on top of that. Lively isn't exactly a normal sized human, either. Wemby could wind up scoring 30,000 points and Lively could be out of the league in 5 years with back issues. 

Trying to dunk on Spurs fans through one game because Wemby got in foul trouble and Lively caught some lobs from Luka is silly. No one that watched that game would come away rather having Lively or thinking he's the better player.

I don't disagree with anything you just said except that I don't think the guy posting Lively's stats was trying to dunk on Spurs fans or denigrate Wemby and we all have eyeballs and saw flashes of an upside that was phenomenal and lived up to the hype. I took his posting it as more of a, give this guy his flowers for in some ways (and for a variety of factors, some in and some not in Wemby's control) having the more impressive debut in a game they both went head to head. 

I don't know, maybe he was out of pocket for it and I'm biased as a Mavs guy trying to defend it, but I didn't see anything egregious about it.

Actually I'll edit to add, I do disagree with the characterization that all Lively did was catch a few lobs and the implication his results were low effort / spoon fed.

Edited by BeardIP
  • Fuck You 1

8 hours ago, BeardIP said:

I don't disagree with anything you just said except that I don't think the guy posting Lively's stats was trying to dunk on Spurs fans or denigrate Wemby and we all have eyeballs and saw flashes of an upside that was phenomenal and lived up to the hype. I took his posting it as more of a, give this guy his flowers for in some ways (and for a variety of factors, some in and some not in Wemby's control) having the more impressive debut in a game they both went head to head. 

I don't know, maybe he was out of pocket for it and I'm biased as a Mavs guy trying to defend it, but I didn't see anything egregious about it.

Actually I'll edit to add, I do disagree with the characterization that all Lively did was catch a few lobs and the implication his results were low effort / spoon fed.

Angry Harrison Ford GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/26/2023 at 1:10 PM, BeardIP said:

I didn't see this but the point was a Mavs fan trying to make a thread that's been around for over a year into a stupid Spurs-Mavs hate thread.

But yeah let's compare two completely different players with completely different backgrounds and different roles and expectations on completely different teams with wildly different teammates and draw some conclusions.

No, it wasn't relevant at all.

2 hours ago, gofuckyourself said:

I didn't see this but the point was a Mavs fan trying to make a thread that's been around for over a year into a stupid Spurs-Mavs hate thread.

But yeah let's compare two completely different players with completely different backgrounds and different roles and expectations on completely different teams with wildly different teammates and draw some conclusions.

No, it wasn't relevant at all.

Okay my bad. I was trying to have a fellows back and shouldn’t have weighed in to defend. Mea culpa 

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Let's tap the brakes. Dereck Lively had 13 rebounds on Wednesday.

No way! There can only be one good rookie in a given season.

As for Wemby, I always wondered what Ralph Sampson would have been with a great outside stroke. This kid seems to be just that...and then some. 

lmao, i just came up with this goofy shit off the top of the dome while watching those highlights again, and i’m sharing it here. it’s my new Wemby chant, done to the tune of Windy by The Association:

Who’s coming down and dunking from half court?

Shooting a three while fading away

who just engulfed your pathetic jump shot?

EVERYONE KNOWS ITS WEMBY!!! 

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...