Best Divorce album

GhostOfTomJoad

17 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Sting's said the same thing about the thousands of people who've told them that Every Breath You Take--a tale of a creepy, possessive stalker--was their wedding song. Might as well play Under My Thumb.

These are the same people who think "Born in the U.S.A." is a rousing, patriotic anthem.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, RiverwalkMiner said:

I was coming here to mention Achtung Baby, as most of is about The Edge's divorce at the time. He would later recover nicely with the belly dancer from the ZooTv tour. 

There is a funny quote by Bono to the effect of "I can't believe how many people come up to us and say One was their wedding song. Don't they read the lyrics?!?" 

Bono is on record as saying his marriage was on shaky ground during that album as well, but they pulled through.

But yeah, John Q. Consumer usually doesn't pay attention to lyrics when using songs for marketing, political campaigns, weddings, etc., because we're largely a nation of superficial sound bytes.

Adding to that, I recall the John McCain campaign used Pink Houses during his 2008 campaign.  Similar to "Born in the U.S.A." misguidedly used by Ronald Reagan, his campaign simply liked the "Ain't that America" lyric as a way to identify John McCain with America without regard to the song as a whole.  Mellencamp contacted the McCain campaign and explained that he's a progressive Democrat and the song's themes really weren't all that consistent with the Republican platform, and the campaign stopped playing the song at its rallies.

Edited by South Austin

19 hours ago, South Austin said:

Bono is on record as saying his marriage was on shaky ground during that album as well, but they pulled through.

But yeah, John Q. Consumer usually doesn't pay attention to lyrics when using songs for marketing, political campaigns, weddings, etc., because we're largely a nation of superficial sound bytes.

I'm actually amazed how many otherwise sharp people pay no attention to lyrics. Maybe it's a bias of mine because I've *always* been captivated with song lyrics and obsessed about them listening to music growing up... listening very closely to them and obsessively reading them when they were included in liner notes... I even remember several albums (in cassette or CD form) back in the day where you would have to *write a letter* (LOL) to request lyric sheets... which I did. :D

Richard and Linda Thompson’s Shoot Out The Lights is the top divorce album for me. 

1. "Don't Renege on Our Love" – 4:19
  2. "Walking on a Wire" – 5:29
  3. "Man in Need" – 3:36
  4. "Just the Motion" – 6:19
  5. "Shoot Out the Lights" – 5:24
  6. "Back Street Slide" – 4:33
  7. "Did She Jump or Was She Pushed?" (Richard Thompson, Linda Thompson) – 4:52
  8. "Wall of Death" – 3:43
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 8/26/2022 at 10:30 AM, Nuge said:

The album "Strange Tails" by Lord Huron was the soundtrack of my divorce. 

It's not an album about divorce, per se, but of loss and regret.  Things I felt acutely when I was in the middle of it.

Last concert I went to with my ex was them. Fucking A I hate that it ruined them a little for me. Getting it back now. I ain’t dead yet is my fuck you song post divorce. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Anything by Gary Allen.

And Adele's songs just come across as a younger Glen Close singing from behind the rabbit pot.  Maybe not "divorcy" enough; but in a similar vein of thought, along with blatant stalker qualities.

On 8/29/2022 at 2:28 PM, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Sting's said the same thing about the thousands of people who've told them that Every Breath You Take--a tale of a creepy, possessive stalker--was their wedding song. Might as well play Under My Thumb.

Similar to the many people who think "The One I Love" by  R.E.M. is so romantic.